Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Aug 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3845782)   #1
Lambrini13
Rookie

Lambrini13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stars in 1989 F1 Cars

This is meant to be a bit of fun, so apologies if it offends anyone as trivial or it's in the wrong forum (it's a bit of a half way house). I've been messing around with some old Microprose Grand Prix games this week and an idea popped up. What if yesteryear's F1 met today's driver market.

So it's 1989. The start of a new F1 season following McLaren's domination. Williams are looking to bounce back with Renault engines. Barnard at Ferrari.

Who gets signed by who, and with nearly 40 drives available who outside present F1 comes in from the cold?

Hamilton in Red 5?

Alonso in a winning McLaren-Honda?

It's noticeable that drivers get into F1 a lot younger now than 30 years ago, so would the likes of Verstappen and Leclerc even be considered by the likes of Ron Dennis and Ken Tyrrell?
Old 24 Aug 2018, 14:01 (Ref:3845784)   #2
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to the forum!

I "think" I understand what you are asking. It is 1989 and the current drivers have been magically transported back to that time period? Are drivers of that era gone? Do the current drivers have any type of history (i.e. records of wins, etc.)? You specifically ask if anyone would support Verstappen or Leclerc. Given they are driving today (and Verstappen is rated by a large number) and are somewhat of a known quantity (maybe less so for Leclerc) I am not sure I understand the question. Are you expecting team principles to push younger, but established drivers out of the series just because they are younger than what might have been typical in "real" 1989?

Now, if you were to rewind the clock to before Verstappen and Leclerc joined, give them some type of history in junior series and then ask if this was 1989 would they get a shot at F1, that is maybe a better question?

Overall... This is such of an alternative history thought experiment that it's hard to quantify the possibilities not to mention expect many to agree on what might have happened.

Richard
Old 24 Aug 2018, 14:46 (Ref:3845790)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yes, welcome to the forum!

i also do enjoy these sorts of 'sliding door' sorts of questions.

i guess my first question would be are any of the current drivers brave enough to dive anything built pre 2000? endurance may have been a real problem for the younger drivers.

Hamilton VS Alonso in that Mclaren would have been as explosive as Senna VS Prost...possibly even more so if thats possible.

but when did Falvio take over Benetton though? if he was in charge in 89, i would suggest that Alonso would have been driving that car.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3845798)   #4
Lambrini13
Rookie

Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking on and off for quite a while.

Yes, the premise was very much as grasped. Only today's drivers, but in the F1 world of 1989. A bit of a fudge obviously as Prost, Piquet, Senna have all suddenly disappeared and you wouldn't really want current drivers applying knowledge of what was to come (Renault engines and William's dominance) to which drives they pursue.

I picked '89, partly because I love the cars and liveries of that period, but also because of the large grid and due to next season being the 30th anniversary.

Once I had the idea, it got me thinking about which drivers 'best fit' certain teams or if team owners pursue different qualities in their drivers.

Basically it's a bit of a silly season thing taken to the extreme.

" Falvio take over Benetton though? if he was in charge in 89, i would suggest that Alonso would have been driving that car."

Intriguing. Why so?

At the moment, I've got Alonso and Ricciardo pencilled at McLaren, Hamilton at Williams, the present Ferrari pair in situe. Perhaps Lance Stroll buying his way into Lotus (a fading marque) rather than Williams...

Would perhaps any of the current Indycar or Formula E crop be F1 calibre in this alternative 89.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 15:20 (Ref:3845806)   #5
Lambrini13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Welcome to the forum!

You specifically ask if anyone would support Verstappen or Leclerc...

Richard
Picking out those two was probably a mistake to be honest. As you state they're already in F1 now. They've proved their worth.

It was really a case of pondering / noticing that drivers seemed to come into F1 much later in the 70s and 80s.

Would that be down to beastlier cars?
Experience being favoured over pure speed?

Now the cars are even more expensive and yet trusted to younger (in theory less experienced) drivers.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 15:40 (Ref:3845816)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrini13 View Post
" Falvio take over Benetton though? if he was in charge in 89, i would suggest that Alonso would have been driving that car."

Intriguing. Why so?
Flav being Flav he would have negotiated Alonso's contract both as team principle of Benetton and was at one point Alonso's manager. he would have got the driver he highly rated as well as making a commission off of the contract. win win for Flav!

although as Flav isnt in F1 in 2018 i guess he couldnt be teleported back to 1989 which i suppose would be the bigger win for F1 in 1989 and all years thereafter!
Old 24 Aug 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3845823)   #7
Lambrini13
Rookie

I'd forgotten the Flavio connection. I'm sold on the idea. So I guess that would mean Lewis at McLaren.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 09:02 (Ref:3845938)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Imagine if Vettel and Hamilton were in Ferrari together. And we would probably see more GP2 graduates and other junior formula drivers on the grid. And would the likes of say Pic, Haryanto, Nasr, Giovanazzi and Guitierrez still be in F1? Probably, with more seasts available.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 01:24 (Ref:3846630)   #9
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome to the forum. 1989, my favourite team was Onyx.
The violet and white cars financed by Moneytron.
It seems JP Van Rossem was a true pioneer.
And Johansson did his last ever podium with them.

McLaren today is Lotus in 1989...
Old 28 Aug 2018, 04:35 (Ref:3846652)   #10
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Agreed. Lotus passed away with Colin....

jimclark
Old 28 Aug 2018, 04:55 (Ref:3846654)   #11
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Lotus indeed had a terrible 1989
Can't understand what Tickford did there.

Last edited by Mekola; 28 Aug 2018 at 05:04.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 04:59 (Ref:3846657)   #12
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mansell at Portuguese GP was...
I was a child then. Used to repeat the manoeuvre of the pits
with a supermarket carriage.

Last edited by Mekola; 28 Aug 2018 at 05:05.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 05:00 (Ref:3846658)   #13
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
1989 was not that easy to follow in TV. In Argentina, was almost impossible
due to power shortages that hampered Buenos Aires area that time.
Races were seen on Sunday 23 hr and most people had to go to work or school
and then the ratings were very low. If it wasn't for Senna, F1 would have lost the plot
in Fangio's land.

Last edited by Mekola; 28 Aug 2018 at 05:07.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 14:10 (Ref:3846729)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think Williams are more like Lotus now
Old 29 Aug 2018, 12:17 (Ref:3846872)   #15
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis

Reutemann himself was the reason Lotus powers went to Williams in 1980.
Colin was much like real-life Doc Emmett Brown that time, mostly when was suffering highly a relative of him did something that time.

BTW, 1989 was the year Brabham returned to F1 and I was very happy to see Brundle and Modena at Monaco,
very proud of them. I'm a Brabham fan of all by means.

Last edited by Mekola; 29 Aug 2018 at 12:25.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 20:25 (Ref:3846960)   #16
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
BTW, 1989 was the year Brabham returned to F1 and I was very happy to see Brundle and Modena at Monaco,
very proud of them. I'm a Brabham fan of all by means.
Off topic a bit, but speaking of Brabham and Lotus....
My friend (a Brabham fan...Jack and his cars) and I (Lotus and Rindt fan) were going crazy watching Jochen chase down Brabham in the '70 Monaco GP on the telly. I was elated by Rindt's drive and win, yet, along with my buddy, heartbroken for Jack and his error so close to the line....

Now, back to 1989....

edit: 'Sorry guys. It just dawned on me that I should have PM'd Mekola. I apologize.

jimclark
Old 15 Dec 2018, 12:06 (Ref:3870468)   #17
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Welcome to the forum. 1989, my favourite team was Onyx.
The violet and white cars financed by Moneytron.
It seems JP Van Rossem was a true pioneer.
And Johansson did his last ever podium with them.

Jean-Pierre Van Rossem has passed away at the age of 73.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...x-f1-team-dies
Old 15 Dec 2018, 16:58 (Ref:3870529)   #18
S griffin
Veteran

Yeah, he certainly had an interesting life. Shame his funding of Onyx didn’t last long enough
Old 21 Dec 2018, 15:26 (Ref:3871828)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Shame Onyx couldn't continue. Great little team, well run, good staff, drivers etc.

Bet they would have been up with Tyrrell as best of the rest in 1990 had they found more money.

Just been thinking about the Williams in '89/90. Patrese and Boutsen did ok but I reckon that if the team had a properly quick ace in one of the seats they would have been challenging for wins most of the time.
Old 21 Dec 2018, 18:34 (Ref:3871859)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

Patrese was definitely more consistent and we already know he could occasionally beat Mansell, so it’s a big what if
Old 4 Jan 2019, 18:39 (Ref:3874020)   #21
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Patrese was definitely more consistent and we already know he could occasionally beat Mansell, so it’s a big what if
Patrese was a quicker version of Boutsen.

Both solid no.2's but I feel based on their careers which included stints in at least 2 top teams each, they did not do anything that justified them getting team lead status.

Berger was perhaps one of the best no.2's of the modern era and I never thought of him as a big championship challenger. However, he was better than those 2.

I wonder if the reason Williams had those 2 guys for 89/90 was because no-one better was available, and/or possibly one of the drivers Sir Frank really wanted was seriously injured in 1988.
Old 4 Jan 2019, 18:53 (Ref:3874031)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

I’d say Patrese was more a number 1.5 as they say. Quick enough to rise to the occasion when needed. Who can forget him snatching pole in the spare Williams set up for Nige in Portugal?
Old 4 Jan 2019, 18:55 (Ref:3874034)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I’d say Patrese was more a number 1.5 as they say. Quick enough to rise to the occasion when needed. Who can forget him snatching pole in the spare Williams set up for Nige in Portugal?
Which was still an FW14 chassis it must be said!!
Old 2 Feb 2019, 13:11 (Ref:3881322)   #24
Ben H
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ben H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apologies for just butting in here Lurk a bit around here but usually too shy to post, saw this topic and thought id love to have a go at that (as a big fan of the late 80's/early 90's era, and a big fan of the present day era too), took a few weeks, but got time there to sit down with a pen and paper Its a really interesting thing to think about!

The 'philosophy' I had was that although the drivers are different, the teams would still have the same mindset and look for the same type of drivers as in the REAL 1989. So basically they had the same philosophy too :

McLaren Honda (Original drivers A.Senna and A.Prost)

L.Hamilton
F.Alonso

Well, Ron always wanted the best of everything, the drivers knew he would (probably) have the best car and he had the Marlboro big bucks to pull it off. What a team, what a battle it would be, but can it last?

Scuderia Ferrari (N.Mansell and G.Berger)

D.Riccardo
K.Raikonnen

So sadly, in 1988, Enzo Ferrari had to make what turned out to be his final driver signing. He had some reservations about the theatrics and toomfoolery that come with this Commonwealth driver, but in his heart he knew the guy was a real racer, fast and the rare type who would relish wheel to wheel confrontation with even Hamilton and Alonso – yes thats right, Dan Riccardo! Alongside Dan, some say hes in it for the money, and spends too much time thinking about 'off track' matters....but Enzo knew he would be an excellent team player, who would not upset the team dynamic and on his day could whack in a devastating pole or win...it could only be Kimi.

Williams Renault (R.Patrese and T.Boutsen)

S.Vettel
V.Bottas

Although they didn't in 1989, we know from 1990 and subsequent years that Williams were under pressure from sponsors and Renault for a 'name' driver. Seeing that Frank and Patrick were grappling with this, and reading the runes as well as he (arguably) did in 2015, steps the 4 time World Champion Vettel. It may be a tough first year with the Renault engine, but the possibilities are endless, states Vettel. Alongside we have another 'team man', a proven race winner, who can be a bit inconsistent, but is well liked in the paddock and can 'get along' well with big name teammates – Valterri Bottas

Bennetton Ford (A.Nannini, J.Herbert/E.Pirro)

M.Verstappen
D.Ticktum

There was shock in the paddock when Verstappen signed a long term deal with Benetton, after talks with McLaren, Ferrari and Williams. But he wanted a team to be his own, and he saw some of himself in the brash, outsider, magnetic style of the Bennetton team of racers/awesome publicity machine whirl. Not even the consensus in the paddock that Ford engines would never reach the top level put him off.

Alongside Benetton have taken a risk, but on a young Briton they rate really highly for his bags of natural talent. Expect fireworks in this team!

Lotus Judd (N.Piquet, S.Nakajima)

J.Button
J.Villeneuve

Struggling to work out their future strategy, but cosseted by masses of Camel cigarette cash, Lotus take the easy, publicity generating, but short term measure of hiring ageing World Champions on huge salaries. Great drivers, but can they still do it at a declining Lotus team?

Tyrrell Ford (M.Alboreto/J.Alesi, J.Palmer)

C.Lecelec
J.Palmer

Bit of a last minute change of mind for Uncle Ken here – Eddie Jordan had been in his ear hyping this incredible French-Monecasque in the black and white helmet, until he thought he just had to have him in the car – it can only be him, Leclerc! With Leclerc a certainty to pull out some drives beyond the cars potential, what was needed for the second seat was a solid, mature and articulate British driver – will a certain J.Palmer suffice?

Brabham Judd (M.Brundle, S.Modena)

C.Sainz
P.Gasly

It was the usual chaos finding the money to pay them, but gosh Brabham secured a lovely blend of youth and expereince for their team. The likable but tough Sainz for the expereince (no podiums in F1 yet, but come on hes better than that) and the youthful Gasly – yes he can blow hot and cold, but my goodness when he puts a weekend together he is sensational!

Arrows Ford (D.Warwick, E.Cheever)

K.Magnussen
A.Rossi

With their perpetual struggles with money, Arrows knew before the first race they would be in a tough midfield fight. They knew they needed a no nonsense driver who would put his past disappointment with a big team aside and fight like hell in the midfield – who better than Kmag? Because of American sponsorship, the urbane, fast, F1 experienced American Alexander Rossi ideally fits the bill for the second seat.

Moneytron Onyx Ford (S.Johansson, B.Gachot/JJ Lehto)

R.Kubica
L.Norris

What a cult team this will turn out to be! Lovely car, albeit weird owner! Amazingly, they keep popular race winner Kubica in F1, and decide to give youth a chance in the form of Norris - athough there is hilarity in the paddock when it emerges that the eccentric owner of Moneytron gave the drive to Norris solely based on his exceptional knowledge of computers, and particularly the potential future uses of some obscure technology called 'the internet' (like honestly, what even is that?)

Ligier Ford (O.Grouillard, R.Arnoux)

R Grosjean
J.E.Vergene

Guy Ligier is well aware that Gitanetes cigarettes pay the bills, and they want French drivers front of centre in a patriotic team. After unsuccessful flirtations with Leclerc and Gasly, Guy plumbs for fast but erratic Romain Grosjean, and in a surprising move (but a good one all the same), he brings back floppy haired big beast of French motorsport, Jean Eric Vergene, who is burning to prove the big teams dropped him too soon!

March – Judd (M.Gugelmin, I.Capelli)

SS Camera
A Fuoco

March going with a youthful Brazillian and Italian, in an exciting Adrian Newey designed car, very much looking to the future – this could pay off big time, by, around the French GP 1990....?

Osella Ford (N.Larini, P.Ghinzhni)

E.Ocon
S.Galelel

A mixed team here! Osella quickly went for Sean Gaeal's cash, although he could still show well, he is not a bad pay driver and may become a cult figure in the bright KFC livery he has brought to Osella. At the last minute Osella announced Esteban Ocon, who though he had the Williams seat, lost that to Vettel's last minute decision to go there, meaning he was just too late to get the 'French' Ligier seat, then unaccountably Benetton picked Ticktum...................................continued ad nauseam.

Dallara Ford (A.Caffi, A.De Cesaris)

A. Hubert
S.Perez

Could be a really corking driver line up choice by Dallara. Completely out of left field, choosing a green but fast youngster in Hubert, and then going for one of the most experienced drivers on the grid, who comes with the bonus of sponsorship (and won't back down if he gets near the leaders.....Sergio Perez.

Minardi Ford (P.Martini, L.P.Sala)

S.Vandoorne
R.Mehri

He looked great in junior forumlae....but will he really ever win in F1? Still, you know Vandoorne will give it all he's got hustling a Minardi. And then, out of leftfield, to balance the books Minardi take Spanish driver Roberto Mehri after he comes up with sponsorship.

Lola Lamborghini ( Y.Dalmas/E.Bernard/M.Alboreto, P.Alliot)

N.Hulkenburg
A.Markelov

Gerard Larousse took a big risk here. He knew he was taking a chance putting the fast but combative and sometimes wild Anton Markelov into one of his cars, so he was well aware he needed a steady, solid driver, who never mind F1, would be comfortable doing a double Le Mans stint. Nico Hukenburg is the perfect choice!

Coloni Ford (R.Moreno, P.H. Raphanel)

F.Massa
A.Albion

Coloni going with a fiery Brazilian with the distinctive Yellow and Blue helmet to lead the team. Alongside him, Albion a surprising choice – good driver, but will his lack of experience tell?

Eurobrun Judd (G.Foitek/O.Laurruri)

N.Latiffi

Eurobrun just struggling to keep all the plates in the air, so when rich Swiss Latiffi called, they gladly took the cash!

Zaxspeed Yamaha (B.Schneider, A.Suzuki)

B Hartley
K Kobayashi

What a cool driver line up! Although they may not be the biggest names, two likeable drivers here. Just as home with a roof on his head, but focused for the present on F1, its Brendon Hartley. And joining him is a fantastic Japanese driver, the man who took the bar Nakajima had set and went higher....Kamui Kobayashi!

Rial Ford (C.Danner, V.Weidler)

M.Schumacher
S.Sirotkin

German team, German sponsorship. Rial know their great hope of becoming a big team in the future is tapping into the wealth and expertise in their home nation. It was a no brainier to, among a welter (Weidler?) of publicity to give Mick Schumacher his big break in F1......Sergy Sirotkin brings his experience and hard working attitude along as well.

AGS Ford (G.Tarquini, J.Winkelhock, Y.Dalmas)

G.Alesi
M.Ericsson

This team will be popular in Italy! Out of nowhere young Giluano Alesi gets the seat! Alongside Marcus Ericcsson brings experience, big cash and a liking for the blue and yellow colours on the car.

FIRST Judd (G.Tarquini, went bust before first race, did not compete)

D Valsecci

I feel really bad about this one. A likeable, sunny, smiling, quick Italian, thinks he has his big chance again, but it may not happen....
Old 4 Feb 2019, 13:12 (Ref:3881867)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

Good choices, although I think it should be Massa rather than Villeneuve in at Lotus. Giovanazzi can easily slot in at Coloni