Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 21 Jan 2002, 07:10 (Ref:201992)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Controversial article: Emerson Newton John says American drivers unwanted in Europe

Here is an article written by Emerson Newton John, who will be a rookie driver in the Craftsman Truck Series.

http://www.racingnewsonline.com/story?id=46960

Last edited by Joe Fan; 21 Jan 2002 at 07:56.
Old 21 Jan 2002, 07:33 (Ref:202001)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
sorry joe, didnt actually read the article, but emerson seems to get an ok go because of his name - he raced in oz last season and was ok, but nothing really special....couldnt quite work out why he would race downunder, i cant remember the last american who did (bar the nascar drivers of the early 90's) - maybe it was because us aussies try and claim his aunt olivia as one of our own

will go and read the article now - incase i have egg on my face
Old 21 Jan 2002, 08:04 (Ref:202005)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
hmmm interesting article isnt it ?

I dont Know how much of it true or how much of it just poor old Emmo having a whinge , only he could honestly tell us I guess.

Im glad however that he didnt mention that he was badly treated out here in Australia for the last year or so that he was here because I think he was treated excellently and certainly given plenty of chances but usually wound up putting very expensive cars into very hard walls , but yet the teams he drove for pressed on with him because they believed he had quite a bit of talent.

will that article do him any favours ???

no I dont think so , especially not in Europe ...but what about for him in the states ???

Im sure team owners would chringe when they read that , and possibly even think twice about hiring him , these of course are just my opinions and it is also true that I havent got off my lazy ass and experienced what it like either , so maybe he was telling the truth.

but anyway 2002 will tell us what he is really made of , he is lining up in the Craftsmen truck series and hopefully he will do ok , or we could be reading the same article this time next year but about the way he was treated at home !!!!

are American drivers wanted in Europe, heck i dont know but it would be nice to see a few more over giving it a go
Old 21 Jan 2002, 14:54 (Ref:202131)   #4
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel that if he really wanted to succeed & be accepted-, he would have made attempts to learn their language.

Now if the whole thing were turned around & he was a foreigner in the US- & he didn't speak English- well he would have found the same thing.

He had some valid points to his complaints- But if you expect "praise" from the press- at least honor them with the ability to speak to them in their own language.

Last edited by Roselady3; 21 Jan 2002 at 14:55.
Old 21 Jan 2002, 16:34 (Ref:202172)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can understand to some degree his problem, and somewhere in between what he says and what really happened lies the truth. His own point of view is getting in his way to some degree.

I read an interesting article written by Texan Colin Edwards about his life racing World Superbikes for Honda. When he was drafted by Honda to campaign the RC45 superbike he struggled mightily with the very Japanese hierarchy in the team and the international makeup of the crew. It took him a few months before a friend took him aside and let him on what the problem was. He was acting like an American abroad, instead of being just another team member. He soon began to learn to speak to the team members in their language, instead of forcing them to speak in English, he began to eat with the team and ate what they ate and did the things they did. He is now a well respected World Champion, a sought after rider and has no problem with being any where in the world. He is also a favored son of Honda's racing team and that can't be a bad thing. I am sure it took a lot of work for Edwards to break the stereotype that many have of Americans and probably Texans as well.

Something else Emerson Newton John did not note, was that many French do not like anyone who does not speak their language and speak it as they do. Tourists have hell when visiting France at times. So he should not judge all Europeans by just how he was treated by the French and their very suspect and decidedly biased press.
Old 21 Jan 2002, 16:39 (Ref:202174)   #6
Roselady3
Veteran

I do have to agree about the French part. I married into a French family- They've been here 2 generations & they still carry the "French Attitude"
Old 21 Jan 2002, 18:16 (Ref:202213)   #7
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor guy, he shouldn't label us Europeans because he didn't get on with the French!

Every country has their own language and unique traditions, which vary drastically across each border, in the US going from state to state , the language doesn't change, also the traditions wouldn't change! Though I'm sure they'll be pointed out to me!

I remember Memo Gidley, CART driver got a Team USA scholarship to race in the UK, and he got on very well.

Not many europeans would get a free ride too! Difficult for guys to get American sponsorship to race in the USA alone , yet go 3,000 miles away.

Pity he didn't get on well in France!
Old 22 Jan 2002, 02:13 (Ref:202540)   #8
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Beer Baron
in the US going from state to state , the language doesn't change, also the traditions wouldn't change! Though I'm sure they'll be pointed out to me!
Of course
The national language of the city of Miami is espanol. And I bet Rosie has that Chicago accent going on...da bears, da bulls. *G*
Get into the Carolinas & Georgia and the say things like "pee can pie" & "jeet yet?". I won't even mention the inner cities...'cuz I can't understand a word they say...lol.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 02:53 (Ref:202548)   #9
The Beer Baron
Veteran

That's just accents NOT language, though I'm not sure if anyone outside Chicago whould say 'da bears da bulls'
Old 22 Jan 2002, 03:00 (Ref:202549)   #10
Roselady3
Veteran

Hey - I live in Chicago & you would NEVER find me saying DA Bears!
But we do have accents that go along with the terratory. I talk Indiana hillbilly with a touch of Chicago twang. The Wisconsinites with the Chicago twang are really funny! You can always tell an east coaster. & the southerners have a accent that is all their own.

As for the Ebonics---->> Nobody understands that---even them!
Old 22 Jan 2002, 03:22 (Ref:202553)   #11
The Beer Baron
Veteran

I only have to go 6 mmiles & find people with completely different accents here, even people 30 miles away have completely different accents (As you know too well!)
Old 22 Jan 2002, 18:35 (Ref:202820)   #12
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Beer Baron
I only have to go 6 mmiles & find people with completely different accents here, even people 30 miles away have completely different accents (As you know too well!)
That's funny...the Brit I used to work with here told me to go talk to this one guy about a prob I had with my computer. Said I didn't know who he was & he goes you know, the one with the London accent...I laughed & said like I can tell the difference.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 19:30 (Ref:202844)   #13
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Ah the cockneys

Those accents were very dominant in the film, 'Lock Stock & two smokin' barrells'