Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 21 May 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2466698)   #1
Yellow_shuttle
Rookie

Yellow_shuttle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your advice please

Hi,

I have just picked my first single seater up tonight and can't wait until the first test day . The car is a Speads 2006 with k5 Suzuki engine I intend to do 2 or 3 test days before entering my first race in September at croft with the monoposto championship. I have come from Westfields so am expecting a difference how big I am unsure between the two cars.

One if the questions I have is regarding the pedals as at present the pedals are in the shortest position but with my long legs I can’t press them and be comfortable in the seat. At the weekend I have moving the pedals to most forward position. However if this does not give enough room what are my other options. Is the only option a customised seat if so how much will one of these cost and how long to manufacture?

I will also need overalls and boots however I have yet to find boot in size 13 any advice hear would be appreciated preferably in the north east of England.

Regards

Ross
Old 21 May 2009, 21:09 (Ref:2466744)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
not northeast but if you google racewear the 1st non-sponsored link is a Wiltshire company who will give you personal service by phone, net and post.
Old 21 May 2009, 22:32 (Ref:2466786)   #3
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding boots, sueeze into as small a pair as you can, maybe size 11.
They don't need to be comfortable for walking in, just to cover your feet.
In fact, racing boots aren't meant for walking in, so get into the habit of slipping out of your comfy size 13 trainers, size 11 race boots on, drive the car, boots off and comfy trainers back on.
It could solve your problem, be cheaper to buy, as you won't be looking for a specially made pair and your racing boots will last a lot longer.
Old 22 May 2009, 09:36 (Ref:2466959)   #4
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_shuttle View Post
Hi,

I have just picked my first single seater up tonight and can't wait until the first test day . The car is a Speads 2006 with k5 Suzuki engine I intend to do 2 or 3 test days before entering my first race in September at croft with the monoposto championship. I have come from Westfields so am expecting a difference how big I am unsure between the two cars.

One if the questions I have is regarding the pedals as at present the pedals are in the shortest position but with my long legs I can’t press them and be comfortable in the seat. At the weekend I have moving the pedals to most forward position. However if this does not give enough room what are my other options. Is the only option a customised seat if so how much will one of these cost and how long to manufacture?

I will also need overalls and boots however I have yet to find boot in size 13 any advice hear would be appreciated preferably in the north east of England.

Regards

Ross
You can make a seat for a few quid out of two-part expanding polyurethane foam and some duct tape (plus a bucket to mix it in, and old wire coat hanger to mix it with, an electric drill to twirl the mixer, and some big bin bags).

Then it's just a case of (essentially) sitting in the car so you are comfortable, but not too high, and having the foam poured around you until it expands, forms to your shape, and sets. Whole process the first time is about two hours, but that'll quickly reduce with practice if you do further seats (it's unlikely it'll be perfect the first time, though it may well be better than nothing).

Don't buy foam from Demon Tweeks (et al) -you don't get much, and it's expensive. Buy you can get it from most fibreglass/boating people. I get mine from http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/

Or you can use a resin bead kit - which is what I've got now. It's comfy because it's not rigid, and it's a bit lighter. But we didn't do a good job of making it, so it's not as 'neat' as I would like.

Don't know about boots - but I would imagine there is someone, somewhere that has larger sizes.

The car will be 'similar' to the Westfield, but do everything 100 times quicker, and make the westie feel like a Vauxhall Nova. Estate.
Old 22 May 2009, 13:55 (Ref:2467083)   #5
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do you know anyone selling cheap resin bead kits?

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 22 May 2009, 15:25 (Ref:2467125)   #6
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's the problem - no! They're all really quite expensive. But after failing to make a decent foam seat without each version having some problem or other (either it was too thick, or too thin (and then too thick after adding a bit), or had large gaps etc. And then I couldn't get it out because of the lip at the top of the cockpit and because it jammed on the gear lever... I bit the bullet and spoke to Raceparts. They put me in touch with the guy who makes them, and I was persuaded...

But they aren't cheap, so I probably wouldn't bother unless you find foam isn't working.
Old 22 May 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2467199)   #7
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
Regarding boots, sueeze into as small a pair as you can, maybe size 11.
They don't need to be comfortable for walking in, just to cover your feet.
In fact, racing boots aren't meant for walking in, so get into the habit of slipping out of your comfy size 13 trainers, size 11 race boots on, drive the car, boots off and comfy trainers back on.
It could solve your problem, be cheaper to buy, as you won't be looking for a specially made pair and your racing boots will last a lot longer.
Absolutely right. I bought my son size 13s and he cannot get them into a single seater - or at least he cannot heel and toe and then they get jammed trying to get out.
It doesn't matter if they are tight, because your foot will rest in the heel of the shoe and is not pushing against the toe. And at the end of the day, who cares if you get bunions.
Old 22 May 2009, 22:18 (Ref:2467359)   #8
08u05
Racer

08u05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wear size 14 trainers, use Adidas racing boots, again size 14. However I drive tin tops!
Old 25 May 2009, 21:07 (Ref:2469071)   #9
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you can find someone nearby who has already made a twin pack seat or two it would be wise to get him to help you. We have many seats to our score, but it can still get a bit scary at times if things start going wrong!!!