Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Jul 2022, 14:55 (Ref:4120045)   #3301
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It seems even having Rich Energy on the car is no guarantee of there being any proper sponsorship
You might be surprised how many ‘sponsorship’ deals are like that. There are lots.
Old 22 Jul 2022, 15:46 (Ref:4120143)   #3302
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
No idea why anyone would want anything to do with that company. It just screams dodgy and the fact they both say the bearded one has no involvement then why has he attended both bsb meetings and btcc meetings?

Last edited by Robshillito1990; 22 Jul 2022 at 15:53.
Old 22 Jul 2022, 16:19 (Ref:4120151)   #3303
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
No idea why anyone would want anything to do with that company. It just screams dodgy and the fact they both say the bearded one has no involvement then why has he attended both bsb meetings and btcc meetings?
They say he has no involvement with the sponsorship deal. It's still the Rich Energy brand being displayed though, and he is inextricably linked to Rich Energy.
Old 23 Jul 2022, 07:29 (Ref:4120189)   #3304
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
You might be surprised how many ‘sponsorship’ deals are like that. There are lots.
Go on then, name them
Old 23 Jul 2022, 09:06 (Ref:4120198)   #3305
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Go on then, name them
The specifics are between the teams and the brands, but there are at least six teams on the grid this season that feature a brand as title sponsor, but received no financial support directly from that brand.
Old 23 Jul 2022, 09:09 (Ref:4120200)   #3306
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The specifics are between the teams and the brands, but there are at least six teams on the grid this season that feature a brand as title sponsor, but received no financial support directly from that brand.
Fascinating who?
Old 23 Jul 2022, 09:19 (Ref:4120202)   #3307
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Go on then, name them
I’ve finally worked it out, from all your posts.

You’re William Storey aren’t you?

I claim my £5.
Old 23 Jul 2022, 09:22 (Ref:4120203)   #3308
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Fascinating who?
As I said - the details are between the teams and the brands. It's not for the public domain unless they choose to reveal the details.

I'm sorry - but sometimes things are 'commercial in confidence'.
Old 23 Jul 2022, 14:11 (Ref:4120221)   #3309
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As I said - the details are between the teams and the brands. It's not for the public domain unless they choose to reveal the details.

I'm sorry - but sometimes things are 'commercial in confidence'.
Ah that old story. Honestly what nonsense ….:
Old 24 Jul 2022, 09:00 (Ref:4120328)   #3310
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I’ve finally worked it out, from all your posts.

You’re William Storey aren’t you?

I claim my £5.
I've worked out from your posts you clearly don't know what you're on about
Old 24 Jul 2022, 15:51 (Ref:4120370)   #3311
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So you are saying that 6 teams (and therefore 12+ drivers) get no financial benefits from the sponsorship deals? Those potential 12+ drivers still have to foot the entire bill despite not having the entire car and team name options to 'sell'?

Or are you again trying to confuse that 'BMW' feature on cars despite BMW AG provide zero funds, when everyone knows it is the UK sales company who will be providing the funds as they have the rights to the BMW name in the UK.
Old 24 Jul 2022, 16:37 (Ref:4120376)   #3312
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
So you are saying that 6 teams (and therefore 12+ drivers) get no financial benefits from the sponsorship deals? Those potential 12+ drivers still have to foot the entire bill despite not having the entire car and team name options to 'sell'?

Or are you again trying to confuse that 'BMW' feature on cars despite BMW AG provide zero funds, when everyone knows it is the UK sales company who will be providing the funds as they have the rights to the BMW name in the UK.
Or is it just a load of nonsense ?
Old 24 Jul 2022, 16:55 (Ref:4120379)   #3313
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
No, I am saying that there are (at least) six team names on the grid that include a brand which doesn't provide financial support to the team in question.

It doesn't mean that the brand is not supporting the team in some other capacity.

For example (taking your 12 drivers reference) - how much of the name 'Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport' was able to be 'sold' by George Gamble?
Old 24 Jul 2022, 17:25 (Ref:4120384)   #3314
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:

I’ll give you a non-BTCC example, to show that ‘sponsorship’ is far from a simple subject.

There are F1 young driver academies, for selected up and coming young drivers. This is something you generally pay handsomely to be a member of. The idea is you then take that ‘patronage’ and use it to impress other potential sponsors who are then more likely to want to spend with you.

And, also, yes - there are plenty of fully branded top-end cars where the driver still brings a full budget. It’s called prestige.
Old 24 Jul 2022, 17:26 (Ref:4120385)   #3315
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
how much of the name 'Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport' was able to be 'sold' by George Gamble?
Apparently he's a great ambassador for alcohol, though.
Old 24 Jul 2022, 17:53 (Ref:4120387)   #3316
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
How much of their respective team names do we think the following drivers 'sold':

Lloyd,
Collard,
Shedden,
Edwards,
Hand.

Now I'm not saying that those teams are included in the six that I referred to previously - but they are examples of where a brand in the team name is not related related to the driver in the seat.
Old 24 Jul 2022, 18:48 (Ref:4120389)   #3317
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
How much of their respective team names do we think the following drivers 'sold':

Lloyd,
Collard,
Shedden,
Edwards,
Hand.

Now I'm not saying that those teams are included in the six that I referred to previously - but they are examples of where a brand in the team name is not related related to the driver in the seat.
But that’s not what you said. ……
Old 24 Jul 2022, 19:03 (Ref:4120390)   #3318
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
But that’s not what you said. ……
That post you quoted was in response to the question regarding 'potential 12+ drivers still have to foot the entire bill despite not having the entire car and team name options to 'sell'?

They are examples of cases where the driver does not have the entire car and team name options to sell - but as I clarified they are not specifically cases where the brand on the car does not provide financial support to the team.

Hopefully the following clears things up - these are independent statements:
A - There are (at least) six teams on the current BTCC grid with a brand in their entered name, where that brand does not provide a direct financial contribution to the team.

B - There are drivers on the grid who, through the nature of their deal, have no involvement with the naming rights for that team.

C - There are forum posters who seem to get upset because the full details of running a team or championship are not in the public domain -and seem to think it is their right to full transparency.
In regards to the latter statement - that could be technical specifications, financial details or contractual matters. Others have commented in the past they they are appreciative of insights into how things are run in the BTCC - even if the full details are not able to be shared.
Old 24 Jul 2022, 20:21 (Ref:4120404)   #3319
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That post you quoted was in response to the question regarding 'potential 12+ drivers still have to foot the entire bill despite not having the entire car and team name options to 'sell'?

They are examples of cases where the driver does not have the entire car and team name options to sell - but as I clarified they are not specifically cases where the brand on the car does not provide financial support to the team.

Hopefully the following clears things up - these are independent statements:
A - There are (at least) six teams on the current BTCC grid with a brand in their entered name, where that brand does not provide a direct financial contribution to the team.

B - There are drivers on the grid who, through the nature of their deal, have no involvement with the naming rights for that team.

C - There are forum posters who seem to get upset because the full details of running a team or championship are not in the public domain -and seem to think it is their right to full transparency.
In regards to the latter statement - that could be technical specifications, financial details or contractual matters. Others have commented in the past they they are appreciative of insights into how things are run in the BTCC - even if the full details are not able to be shared.
You are changing and twisting things again.

Are you saying that the likes of Gamble (with Car Gods), Shedden (with Cataclean), etc still have to pay the full budget of running a car despite not having a full 'car' to sell for sponsorship? We both know that isn't the case, if a seat costs £400k for the season, the likes of Car Gods/Cataclean/Bristol Street/etc will reduce that bill significantly so the seat may only cost 250-300k (just figures pulled out of the air to illustrate )
Old 24 Jul 2022, 20:58 (Ref:4120409)   #3320
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Are you saying that the likes of Gamble (with Car Gods), Shedden (with Cataclean), etc still have to pay the full budget of running a car despite not having a full 'car' to sell for sponsorship? We both know that isn't the case, if a seat costs £400k for the season, the likes of Car Gods/Cataclean/Bristol Street/etc will reduce that bill significantly so the seat may only cost 250-300k (just figures pulled out of the air to illustrate )
Not changing or twisting anything.

There are sponsorship deals that see a brand on a car, and there has been no financial exchange to make that happen.

You linked that to drivers not being able to 'sell' naming rights for a team. I was demonstrating why the link is not relevant to the initial point - that (at least) six teams have brands in their name without having seen a financial payment to the team from the brand.

To take it all the way back to the original brand in question - RICH Energy.
How much of Plato's, Cook's and Edwards' drives have been funded by money from RICH Energy (direct or a company that owns brand rights)?

You have already said that the money to subsidise the seats is coming from Dudman's other ventures
Quote:
From Dudman's other companies into BTC
So I think you have already proven my point - that a team on the grid (BTC Racing) has a brand in the name (RICH Energy) - but has not received any funding from the brand.

It's true that a subsidised seat from a sponsor may make it a cheaper seat for a driver to take. But not all deals are as simple as: Seat costs X, Sponsor pays Y, X-Y = driver's contribution.

There are far too many permutations on the grid to simplify it down to 12 drivers are unable to sell sponsorship.

Hypothetical examples of where a naming right might not be a financial contribution:

A - Car marque (dealer network - e.g Alfa Romeo) wants to see their brand in the manufacturers' championship. They approach a team (e.g. HMS Racing) and offers to pay the entry for for the manufacturer's championship entry and to provide marketing and promotional support to the entry in return for the marque to be included in the team name. HMS Racing receive no financial reward from the deal. Team enters as 'Alfa Romeo with HMS Racing'.

B - Company associated with automobiles (e.g JCT600) acquires the assets of a team in the BTCC, which includes a TBL. The company want to promote their brand, and approach another team that is currently short of a TBL (e.g. HARD.). They offer to provide (loan) the TBL for the entry, in return for having their brand in the team name. Team enters as 'Team HARD. with JCT600'.

To reiterate - these are hypothetical examples of how a brand can be part of a team name without providing financial sponsorship in the traditional sense.
Old 25 Jul 2022, 09:46 (Ref:4120445)   #3321
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Not changing or twisting anything.

There are sponsorship deals that see a brand on a car, and there has been no financial exchange to make that happen.

You linked that to drivers not being able to 'sell' naming rights for a team. I was demonstrating why the link is not relevant to the initial point - that (at least) six teams have brands in their name without having seen a financial payment to the team from the brand.

How much of Plato's, Cook's and Edwards' drives have been funded by money from RICH Energy (direct or a company that owns brand rights)?

You have already said that the money to subsidise the seats is coming from Dudman's other ventures
So I think you have already proven my point - that a team on the grid (BTC Racing) has a brand in the name (RICH Energy) - but has not received any funding from the brand.

It's true that a subsidised seat from a sponsor may make it a cheaper seat for a driver to take. But not all deals are as simple as: Seat costs X, Sponsor pays Y, X-Y = driver's contribution.

There are far too many permutations on the grid to simplify it down to 12 drivers are unable to sell sponsorship.

Hypothetical examples of where a naming right might not be a financial contribution:

A - Car marque (dealer network - e.g Alfa Romeo) wants to see their brand in the manufacturers' championship. They approach a team (e.g. HMS Racing) and offers to pay the entry for for the manufacturer's championship entry and to provide marketing and promotional support to the entry in return for the marque to be included in the team name. HMS Racing receive no financial reward from the deal. Team enters as 'Alfa Romeo with HMS Racing'.

B - Company associated with automobiles (e.g JCT600) acquires the assets of a team in the BTCC, which includes a TBL. The company want to promote their brand, and approach another team that is currently short of a TBL (e.g. HARD.). They offer to provide (loan) the TBL for the entry, in return for having their brand in the team name. Team enters as 'Team HARD. with JCT600'.

To reiterate - these are hypothetical examples of how a brand can be part of a team name without providing financial sponsorship in the traditional sense.
Honestly it is all just Fantasy nonsense. But whatever it’s a free World. Just don’t present as fact when it clearly isn’t. Either that or stand up and name the “six”…..
Old 25 Jul 2022, 11:21 (Ref:4120451)   #3322
antnee
Veteran

Quote:

So a person who runs a company (Dudman) with rights to a brand (Rich Energy) is putting money into a team/cars (BTC) to promote the brand they have rights to.

In summary, financial contributions are made to promote a brand.
Old 25 Jul 2022, 12:47 (Ref:4120463)   #3323
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
In summary, financial contributions are made to promote a brand.
Or to be precise - financial contributions are made to a team that do not come from the brand being promoted.

Which - IIIRC - was the original query.

It was queried whether there were sponsorship deals have no exchange of funds between the sponsor and sponsored parties. We've both argued that the RICH Energy sponsorship is one such case (amongst many), albeit with nuanced interpretations of the situation.

Not really sure much more can be said on the subject. Some sponsorships are not in return for financial support - always has been, always will be.
Old 25 Jul 2022, 12:54 (Ref:4120464)   #3324
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Or to be precise - financial contributions are made to a team that do not come from the brand being promoted.

It was queried whether there were sponsorship deals have no exchange of funds between the sponsor and sponsored parties. We've both argued that the RICH Energy sponsorship is one such case (amongst many), albeit with nuanced interpretations of the situation.

Not really sure much more can be said on the subject. Some sponsorships are not in return for financial support - always has been, always will be.
So the Teams pay their bills with Goodwill and self asteem do they. What a load of twaddle .
Old 25 Jul 2022, 13:13 (Ref:4120468)   #3325
antnee
Veteran

Quote:

But they are being paid by the brand (and not the corporate owners), just like many other examples which are well known - BMW is BMW UK not BMW AG. It isn't just a random person paying out big money for a brand they like to be plastered over a car.