Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Apr 2005, 00:12 (Ref:1289039)   #351
prn 31
Racer

prn 31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmm, Masterton Capris? IIRC one of them went to Andrew Harris who raced it in blue Brian Byrt colours in period, and it remains with him to this day, running in Historics. Must say I prefer the Masterton colours, they looked fantastic in their day!

I've given everyone the drum on Group A Alfas, but my data on the Group C Alfas is somewhat limited. I know there were a lot and I won't bore people with the ones I know that have gone to that junkyard in the sky - at least three at Bathurst! (OK, as aside its interesting to think of the number of Group C cars that were reshelled in period due to availability and the less complex nature of roll cages and other ancillaries compared to V8 Supercars of today. Plus who knows how many were converted back to road cars and sold on to unassuming buyers!)

These are the Group C Alfas that I believe to still exist:

The Graham Harrison / Ron Gillard "Gil Gordon Alfa" 2000 GTV that ran at Bathurst 76. Originally built by Foley in 75 as a replica of the red Alfa Dealer team cars. To Peter Keubler in 77, scoring ATCC points in 78 and 79 at Adelaide (home track.) Then to club racing in Victoria and WA, barely surviving until now Bill Magoffin in NSW. In original factory colour (pine green), now racing in Group C Historics but to return to 76 racing colours (white) soon. Has very little of the period "trick bits" though.

The 77 Bathurst class winning Foley entered 2000 GTV driven by Derek Bell and Garry Leggat is believe to exist. Owned by Chris Blanden in Victoria who is still repairing it after putting it into a tree on Targa Tasmania (note it isn't being reshelled!) There are some logbook anomalies, which means it needs to checked out by the guys who built it at Foleys. I'm not sure which Foley car this was prior to 77. Anyone have any ideas.

Ray Gulson says that he still owns the 2000 GTV that he raced up to 79. I believe its been converted back to a road car.

The Foley entered Alfetta GTAm that Beaumont and (Chris) Gibson ran at Bathurst in 76 went to Warwick Henderson after that race and ran in Gil Gordon Alfa colours in 77 with Hopwood and Bathurst 80 with Harrison. Had plenty of Vic club racing with those boxy Group 2 flares and I remember seeing it at the 2000 Shannons AGP Auction. Believed to have gone to WA. Not sure if its being converted back to Group C spec.

Peter Barr raced a Group C Alfetta GTV in Victorian events (never Bathurst.) It survived until recently (rolled at Phillip Island) but believed dispensation given to reshell and mainatain Group C logbook. Owned by Hugh Harrison in Vic.

Does anyone else know of any Group C Alfas that have survived?
Old 28 Apr 2005, 03:38 (Ref:1289104)   #352
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Craig Harris, not Andrew.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 08:25 (Ref:1289199)   #353
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, one of the Masterton Capris is in the Harris collection, now raced by Craig's sister. I believe John Deery has another one. The Harris's also have another Capri, this one in much more original condition (paint etc), but the car never had any massively significant history behind it...
Old 29 Apr 2005, 01:27 (Ref:1289802)   #354
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Speaking of Capris, what became of Moffats Cologne Capri?
Old 29 Apr 2005, 02:45 (Ref:1289814)   #355
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard that it's in NZ, apparently in original condition.
Old 29 Apr 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1289941)   #356
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone else know of any Group C Alfas that have survived?[/QUOTE]

prn 31,

The Beninca cars?
Old 4 May 2005, 05:58 (Ref:1292562)   #357
Scott F
Rookie

Scott F should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by prn 31
Alfa GTV6s - I know this stuff!

First off is Ray Gulson's Group C car from 1982. I believe this was the original Alfa Australia evaluation car, NSW reg LPV617 (I think, going from memory) which featured in press evaluations. (The GTV6 wasn't released here until 1983.) Gulson turned the Group C car into Group A spec in 1985 (I don't think it really changed) and it raced into 86. Car sold to Angelo Verga (Melbourne) in 89 and is now with Scott Farquharson in Group C spec and Dulux colours, where it races in Historic Group C.

Ex-Luigi Racing LHD GTV6 brought out for Alan Jones in yellow Ignis/Montrose Wine colours. Reverted to Bond when Jones went o/s. Raced at Bathurst 85 with Bond & Hansford to class win and 8th outright. Written off at wet Enduro round at Surfers Paradise in infamous 11 car pile up! Rebuilt into new shell without a chassis number in RHD form, but as continuation of "Luigi" log book and raced by Bond into 86. Sold to Frank Porter and now with Hugh Harrison in Melbourne with "big" engine. To be converted back to original Group A spec in time.

That's the Group A Alfas sorted. As for Group C Alfas, I know of only 4 (beside the Gulson GTV6) that survive out of what must be well over 20 built over the years. Not a good survival rate!
Yes the Gulson and Bond Alfa's live happily together in Bayswater.
Old 4 May 2005, 07:19 (Ref:1292596)   #358
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test
Yep, one of the Masterton Capris is in the Harris collection, now raced by Craig's sister. I believe John Deery has another one. The Harris's also have another Capri, this one in much more original condition (paint etc), but the car never had any massively significant history behind it...
There were more than two Masterton Capris, but the ones everyone remembers are the two Mk.III 3.0s, as mentioned above with John Harris and John Deery.

There was a Mk.II prior to that in which Steve Masterton won the inaugural Bathurst Rookie of the Year honours (bring it back fools!!), about which I know nothing.
Old 4 May 2005, 09:43 (Ref:1292686)   #359
Beejay17
Racer

Beejay17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
Speaking of Capris, what became of Moffats Cologne Capri?
There is a quite comprehensive article on the car and its owner here:

http://www.geocities.com/theultimatecapri/cologne.html

Unfortunately the car appears to wear non-period sponsorship. But I guess it helps pay the bills.

Anybody know what happened to Moff's Dekon Monza after Paul Jones bought it?
Old 4 May 2005, 09:52 (Ref:1292691)   #360
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrong thread. But i wasn't the only one.
Old 4 May 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1292851)   #361
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay17
There is a quite comprehensive article on the car and its owner here:

http://www.geocities.com/theultimatecapri/cologne.html

Unfortunately the car appears to wear non-period sponsorship. But I guess it helps pay the bills.

Anybody know what happened to Moff's Dekon Monza after Paul Jones bought it?
Neil Brain had it then John Tesererio and it has now apparently returned to the US.

Any other info would be appreciated.
Old 5 May 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1293549)   #362
Beejay17
Racer

Beejay17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What info are you after? It was DeKon chassis #1005 and was first raced by AM at Daytona IMSA round in late 1975.
Old 5 May 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1294001)   #363
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay17
What info are you after? It was DeKon chassis #1005 and was first raced by AM at Daytona IMSA round in late 1975.
BJ17,

We are aware of the cars US history, cheers for that. I have a contact in the US with the Monza GT Registry that is trying to verify current ownership. Apparently the car has gone back to the US but the current whereabouts are unknown. Does anyone know who bought it?

This subject probably should go to the Historis Sports Sedan Thread!
Old 17 May 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1302962)   #364
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the Craven Mild Racing Holden Commodore from 1980?

As far as i know only 1 was built, for Bob Morris when he joined the team for 1980 (bringing the Channel 7 backing), alongside Allan Grice in the Torana (interestingly, both cars swapped and changed between #1 and #7 at times during the year). Morris won the Oran Park round of the 1980 ATCC after Kevin Bartlett's :::9 Camaro was disqualified, but all in all was a poor year.

Craven Mild Racing were originally going to run a BMW 635csi (for Grice) and the Commodore at Bathurst, but when the BMW was knocked back, Morris left to team with Bill O'Brien in a Falcon (taking the Channel 7 money with him) and left Allan Grice and John Smith to drive the Commodore (as #6), leading the race after Johnson crashed out, until overhauled by first John Harvey then Peter Brock.

Of course for 1981 Craven Mild Racing became JPS Team BMW, and Gardner and Grice ran the BMW 635csi.

The Commodore as far as i know went to a then very young Neil Cunningham for the season. He ran out of money though for 1982 and switched to open-wheelers (these days races in the British GT Championship, and has for a number of years)

But what has happened to the car?
Old 17 May 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1302997)   #365
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
What about the Craven Mild Racing Holden Commodore from 1980?

As far as i know only 1 was built, for Bob Morris when he joined the team for 1980 (bringing the Channel 7 backing), alongside Allan Grice in the Torana (interestingly, both cars swapped and changed between #1 and #7 at times during the year). Morris won the Oran Park round of the 1980 ATCC after Kevin Bartlett's :::9 Camaro was disqualified, but all in all was a poor year.

Craven Mild Racing were originally going to run a BMW 635csi (for Grice) and the Commodore at Bathurst, but when the BMW was knocked back, Morris left to team with Bill O'Brien in a Falcon (taking the Channel 7 money with him) and left Allan Grice and John Smith to drive the Commodore (as #6), leading the race after Johnson crashed out, until overhauled by first John Harvey then Peter Brock.

Of course for 1981 Craven Mild Racing became JPS Team BMW, and Gardner and Grice ran the BMW 635csi.

The Commodore as far as i know went to a then very young Neil Cunningham for the season. He ran out of money though for 1982 and switched to open-wheelers (these days races in the British GT Championship, and has for a number of years)

But what has happened to the car?
From Neil Cunningham it went to Bernie Stack who campaigned it for the 82 and 83 seasons (inc Bathurst). Bernie sold it to James Rosenberg who ran it as a Sports Sedan, then sold it to James Bartch (both SA drivers). Bartch sold it to a driver in the ACT and it later went to another Sports Sedan owner in Maitland. The car was purchased from the Maitland owner (there was a theory at the time that the car could have been the missing 3rd MHDT ex Lusty car) in early 2004 and is currently in Melbourne's outer North East suburbs with restoration due to start in the coming months.
Old 18 May 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1303666)   #366
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about some other Holden's;

- The Roadways Commodore driven at Bathurst in 1980 by Garth Wigston and Charlie O'Brien at Bathurst in 1980. Presumebly this was the car Wigston shared with Steve Harrington in 1981, and could it have stayed with the Roadways team through to the end (through the STP days)?

- The Fred Geissler/Garry Rogers Greater Pacific Finance Commodore from Bathurst 1980

- The Clive Benson-Browne Commdore (this may have been answered in the first thread, can't remember though for sure ). Did Benson-Browne run the same car between 1981-1983?

- The Paul Gulson/Pete Geoghan Commdore that finished 3rd at Bathurst 1980.

- Garry Cooke/Warwick Brown Citizen Watches Commodore

- CIG Commodore (driven by Sue Ransom at Bathurst 1980)

As you can probably tell, been working my way through the 1980 Hardie-Ferodo in the last few days
Old 18 May 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1303732)   #367
Camaroz
Veteran

[QUOTE=racer69]How about some other Holden's;

- The Clive Benson-Browne Commdore (this may have been answered in the first thread, can't remember though for sure ). Did Benson-Browne run the same car between 1981-1983?

The CB-B Commodore was the first MHDT Commodore (Brocks 1980 ATCC Winner as a VB, Harvey/Harrop - Bathurst 1980 as a VC) that B-B bought in late 1980.

B-B and Garry Rogers shared the car at Bathurst (colour - white, VC) in 1981 and it was involved in the 'BIG ONE' that year. Word/research is the car (body shell) was scrapped and the bits went into a (new for 1982) VH shell, presented as a VC for B-B in 1982, B-B and Charlie O'Brien ran Bathurst (colour - white, VC) in 1982, B-B and Garry again in 1983 (colour - black, VH), sold to Jim Keogh as the second NT - FOX FM car for Bathurst in 1984 (Stack/Clift, VH), stripped for bits at the end of 1984 and body shell (possibly roller) sold to???? (unknown - Sports sedan maybe?)
Old 19 May 2005, 06:07 (Ref:1304289)   #368
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The B-B and Garry Rogers commodore in 1981 was black and painted white for 1982.
Old 19 May 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1304371)   #369
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMax
The B-B and Garry Rogers commodore in 1981 was black and painted white for 1982.
BluemAX,

Ya right, (typo). 81 was Black.
Old 19 May 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1304375)   #370
Camaroz
Veteran

Any one know where the B-B/Keogh VH is???
Old 22 May 2005, 08:21 (Ref:1306560)   #371
nkracing5
Rookie

Australia
melb
nkracing5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
let me clear up a few things for you experts on the moffat cars first on the xa at sandown 73 leo drove the orange car wich was howards personal car then allan rolled the 9 car at the ild ford was out of racing they gave the no 6 car to allan the spare orange car went to fred we face lifted the xa to xb it became the brute 33 car for the first race in tassie for 74 after 4 rounds it was shipped of to the states it came back for sandown and the remaining year, half way in 75 it became the city ford car in 76 that car was destroyed by fire on the way to s.a. for the a.t.c.c. round then was the moffat dealer team born in white.with the red/blue stripes it went on to bathurst ect at the end of the 77 a.t.c.c. that car was face lifted to xc and a second car was built for colin 77 bathurst car no 1 was the 76 xb that car went on to become no1 cobra then the 25 black car of 79 no 2 cobra wich was no 2 of 77 went to gibbo and became the king george taven xd wich was then totaled at bathurst in 80, all the gear out of that then went into the xe, the moffat xd was built in six weeks and was a test car ran out of time and thats why it was left yellow there was a new car for 81 that was aloted to moffat sat idel it took almost till the end of 81 before i was able to get it,it was then a xd in 83 we upgraded it to xe specs and this is in my log book the everlast xd only took the wheels/brake upgrade of 83 then ran it at state level groupc then was dead i had a almost new car that was junk parked it and between 85to90 i ran it club events in91 ran it as a sport sed with a blue back half then we were able to reform groupc races when c.a.m.s didnt want to know it the class i was going to use it only to get a groupa eb at the time then wreck the car out for parts but i got attacthed to it a kept, i also have the spare eb group a motorsport shell that was spare for cenovis car that now is a sport sedan the xd is at stuckeys is mine and not some american i also have the 69 trans-am, and the 73 xa bathurst car we use them for moffat memoribila shows for allan, allan also had two el falcon shells for 97 that were never used i still have one of them
dave the floater hub that broke at oran park did have a crack in the housing but mate dont feel bad about we have become good mates of that crash
nick karadimas
nkracing
Old 22 May 2005, 09:40 (Ref:1306621)   #372
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkracing5
dave the floater hub that broke at oran park did have a crack in the housing but mate dont feel bad about we have become good mates of that crash
nick karadimas
nkracing
You're right Nick, we have become mates after the incident at Winton, and will remain that way as long as I finish in front of you, HA HA HA.
Are you coming to The Creek in june? I'm hoping to be running then with a permit curtesy of my C of D application being lodged.
Old 22 May 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1306771)   #373
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nice to hear something first hand for a change, thanks Nick
Old 22 May 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1307561)   #374
nkracing5
Rookie

Australia
melb
dave,
yes we are they have issued a permit and i am wait for all the parts phil will be driving the car for the rest of the year he is great with the car and i like his style i think i am getting to enjoy this team owner stuff ha ha ha on that its still too from the surgery i had to get back in it phil has been great with feedback on the car his manager roger was on d.j.r. team in 81/82.83.84 so we know a few things and got it all to work in the set up and neil burns has built a strong engine for it so now we can be so far in front of you and not worry about you running into us ha ha ha the creek should be great fun
see you there
nick karadimas
nkracing
Old 23 May 2005, 07:42 (Ref:1307748)   #375
nkracing5
Rookie

Australia
melb
also forgot to say from 90 to 04 i ran my car with a groupc log book in sport sedan thundersport and groupc in the early days of the club i am one of the original members and in those days grant milnes had the army falcon when i painted the blue back on it in 90 it was to make it look better for tv and ran australian auto salvage signage on now someone must have seen that around
after sandown 04 we painted it back to what i had in 84 and i sort of like it its clean and neat, i still have input on it from allan and holman and moody in the states i hope this clears up questions
nick karadimas
nkracing