Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Jun 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1335723)   #1
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA-GT: End of Super Racing Weekend?

A magazine over here predicts the complete breakup of the current Super Racing package by 2007, with GT going towards a full World Championship (with away races at Sebring 12, and Japan), and WTCC doing its own thing somewhere, somehow.

What do you think, will this help them, or hurt them, and which series will lose out?
Old 21 Jun 2005, 12:08 (Ref:1335747)   #2
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no hard facts to back this up, but the popularity of sportscar racing seems to be on the up so breaking off into its own world championship can only be a good thing.

As long as both championships continue to offer value for money I don't think either will lose out.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1335795)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally for me it would be a shame if the WTCC and FIA GT championship parted ways - both series help one another attract strong crowds. How well would either series fare without the other? I woudnt go as far to say was it would be disastrous if the two series went their own ways but it could potentially be damaging.

What I think might happen, and would be good for both series is for the package to travel together for the majority of rounds and have perhaps two or three seperate rounds per year away from one another. This way the FIA GT championship can have it's races at places like Sebring and the WTCC can have its own event's at places like Mexico.

This should mean everyone is happy. Right?
Old 21 Jun 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1335862)   #4
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they break up, then they will have to find good support races for the free time that each event will have. While it should not be a big problem in Europe, USA or Japan, I think this might not be the case for places like the Middle East, where motorsport is just starting up.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1336164)   #5
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
RobertPrange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be just a logical move. The Fia-GT is obviously too big to be a "sidedish" to the WTCC. And the WTCC attracts a completely different crowd and doesent need the Fia-GT to survive.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1336174)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is FIA GT strong enough to go it alone, in terms of fan recognotion and entires?
Old 21 Jun 2005, 17:51 (Ref:1336222)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would think so JAG, the series does now after all sell its own merchandise and produces a yearly annual. Only major series do this IMO, the FIA GT championship is strong enough to go off on its own without the WTCC, obviously though some sort of support package would be neccarcy, even if its just Porsche Carerra cup or Formula Renault 2.0ltr, you coudnt have just the FIA GT championship on its own IMO.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1336295)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I think WTCC and FIA GT are strong enough to survive each on their own.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1336305)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Then perhaps my inital post might be the scenario in the future...?
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1336353)   #10
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think FIA GT should go off on their own. They have a lot of interest from Asia, and can really put a international calender together with races to Dubai, Bahrian, Turkey, China, Japan, Australia, America(hope so!), as well as their existing races in europe.

There were rumors before that FIA GT would go to America in 2006. I really hope that is the case, because i will be there no matter what!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1336357)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Which teams would go travelling around the world in FIA GT?

FIA GT is not the only show in town these days.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1336363)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Ratel has said that if race organisers are willing to put up some cash towards transport costs (which they probably would be as the FIA GT series is pretty big) that there is no reason for costs to go past what they are presently. Besides, as the series gets more and more popular and gains more recognition the more and more sponsors will come aboard and therefore make things a little easier on the teams financially. Its already started to happen over the last couple of years, names like Corona, Vitaphone, Red Bull, GTR, to name but a few are now all prominant sponsors in the series. A few years ago would the FIA GT championship have attracted names like these? I doubt it.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1336367)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
Its just my opinion, but personally I would much sooner run the LMES (1000k races, better value for money, more exposure for sponsors, proposed races in China plus Turkey) and a selection of ALMS events (Sebring, PLM, Laguna).
Old 21 Jun 2005, 20:02 (Ref:1336370)   #14
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Yes but JAG thats getting away from the original topic of the thread. The LMES, or the ALMS for that matter wont be merging any time soon, nor will they IMO be merging for just a few races per year. Not all of the teams in the ALMS are as big and as financially strong as the teams in FIA GT, the same applies for the LMES teams IMO. For the LMES teams to go outside its traditional European home would cost a signifcant ammount of money which a lot of the teams dont have.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1336378)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
I'm not talking about merging, but running an LMES season, plus a few ALMS events.

FIA GT is worthy as a series, but does not have any prestigious events as of themselves.

An LMES season plus Sebring, PLM, Laguna would be very attractive to sponsors.

I wouldn't assume teams are 'FIA GT teams' or 'LMES/ALMS teams'. They'll pick whichever series is the strongest, and suits their needs.

At the moment FIA GT offers hugely increased costs for little extra return.

The likes of Vitaphone, JMB, BMS, Cirtek will drop a series if it is not meeting their needs.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1336391)   #16
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting point, JAG, too bad it is beside the point. FIA-GT and LMES have to sort things out among themselves; the loss of this format which by and large has been well accepted by spectators may hurt FIA-GT "sufficiently" to end up on its knees, or it may free the series up to venture elsewhere.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1336393)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
FIA GT is worthy as a series, but does not have any prestigious events as of themselves.
Oh so the RAC Tourist trophy or the Spa 24hrs arent prestigous events? Okay JAG, if thats what you think then you are entited to beleive that. I on the other hand would strongly disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
The likes of Vitaphone, JMB, BMS, Cirtek will drop a series if it is not meeting their needs.
Obviously the FIA GT Championship is meeting the above teams needs or the teams mentioned above would leave the series. The fact's are that the series does meet their needs, and they are predominantly GT teams, and the FIA GT championship offers the best available exposure GT teams, in the LMES or ALMS they are simply a side show.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1336453)   #18
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
Very interesting point, JAG, too bad it is beside the point. FIA-GT and LMES have to sort things out among themselves; the loss of this format which by and large has been well accepted by spectators may hurt FIA-GT "sufficiently" to end up on its knees, or it may free the series up to venture elsewhere.
While We (I) am straying from the point why don't you take a look at what Saleen gets upto in his spare time!

http://www.funpic.hu/swf/numanuma.html
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1336462)   #19
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Oh so the RAC Tourist trophy or the Spa 24hrs arent prestigous events? Okay JAG, if thats what you think then you are entited to beleive that. I on the other hand would strongly disagree.

Obviously the FIA GT Championship is meeting the above teams needs or the teams mentioned above would leave the series. The fact's are that the series does meet their needs, and they are predominantly GT teams, and the FIA GT championship offers the best available exposure GT teams, in the LMES or ALMS they are simply a side show.

Spa 24, I'll give you that. Again its possible it could become a touring car event in the future, but who knows.

The Silverstone TT, don't think so. Again it could be given to any series.

As for the teams, they may be running GTs now, who knows for the future.

FIA GT has struggled for GT2 entrants this year, I just fear they will struggle for GT1 entrants if they go globetrotting around the world.

IMO, they should stick with the WTCC in Europe and just have the odd fly away event.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1336464)   #20
19dodge
Veteran

you guys are really getting off topic here.

FIA does not have that many big events. the TT was never confirmed for next year, so that just leaves them with the Spa 24hrs. They have a good reputation with a lot of venues, and if FIA GT was to split with WTCC, they would most likely ditch most of the european tracks for tracks in Asia. Thats a fact. They had great attendance in China and Dubai, and the Bahrian GT festival was a sucess last year. Thats the future of FIA GT.. not to mention the possible merger with Super GT. Now if they do that, then we would have a real world series that could really make it big.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1336470)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
If Europe were ditched 90% of the teams would leave. Fact.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:21 (Ref:1336481)   #22
19dodge
Veteran

not if Ratel would give them a nice tv package and free transport to every race..
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1336491)   #23
JAG
Veteran

England
Its not costs, its the fact most teams are based in Europe and want to race there regulalry
Old 21 Jun 2005, 22:51 (Ref:1336573)   #24
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it stays with WTCC, they compliment each other so well and produce such a great entertaining weekend for spectators and sponsors alike. I think it would be better if the GTs were renamed WGTC and went to all the same events as WTCC and had equal world championship status.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 23:39 (Ref:1336609)   #25
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIAGT without WTCC will suffer badly from a lack of visitors I'm afraid. People lose interest after one hour when they can't follow the race anymore. And GT's aren't as spectacular as TC's either. I'd say that 80% of the crowds at FIAGT races stays watching because WTCC is áfter FIAGT at the sundays. With that motivation left I'm afraid visitor-counts will drop badly.

At this point I'd say FIAGT isn't big enough to stand on its own. WTCC is obviously, but FIAGT needs 2 or 3 big manufacturers before it really can get there I think. 2006 will be a good step in the right direction, with the AM's and probably a C6R for Hezemans. But still, they've got to keep that way up.