Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 9 Feb 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1519120)   #1
C.U.Motorsport
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coventry UK
C.U.Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should stream A1 on the net

There are many people out there who are not willing to spend £30 on the sky sports package when you are only gauranteed a maximum of 5 hours of racing a week. I hate football and would not have access to A1 if my housemate didnt like it and pay the price.

Wouldnt an ideal solution be to stream coverage over the net. The embassy darts which went on during january did it and it worked well. I could be in my finite element analysis lecture and watch darts, brilliant
Old 9 Feb 2006, 23:17 (Ref:1519268)   #2
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
You can. A1GP.com has them all live, and has the last round streaming still.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 23:50 (Ref:1519287)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are you willing to contribute to the cost of doing so?
Old 10 Feb 2006, 00:05 (Ref:1519299)   #4
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1Gp.com does stream the races live and on demand from their site if you're in a country where there isn't any TV coverage. (And I'm sure even you if aren't there are ways to circumvent that).
Old 10 Feb 2006, 02:29 (Ref:1519352)   #5
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darts is a sport that would struggle to get TV coverage so they don't have many options.

For motorsport the revenue from having people pay with credit cards to view live steaming is probably lower than what you can get from TV rights, and the strategy is riskier as forecasting future revenue would be difficult. Banking and finance types would hate it.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1519893)   #6
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
The stream on A1GP.com is free. You just fill in a survey thing, it's really quick, and BAM, the race is there. I used it to watch Durban the Tuesday after the race.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1519896)   #7
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A problem is that it is only certain countries that receive free streaming of the races. The UK doesn't unfortunately.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 00:25 (Ref:1520054)   #8
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Err, i believe this discussion has been done to death already If you want to watch it, pay for it. A1GP and football arn't the only things on Sky, MotorsTV, Eurosport are two that come to mind...
Old 11 Feb 2006, 13:53 (Ref:1520338)   #9
C.U.Motorsport
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coventry UK
motors tv, although good just has repeats and american oval racing. Probably due to the season not starting yet though. At the end of the day, there should be a dedicated motorsport channel which you can pay for. Im not paying £30 for a weeks worth of racing a year
Old 11 Feb 2006, 15:38 (Ref:1520385)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.U.Motorsport
motors tv, although good just has repeats and american oval racing. Probably due to the season not starting yet though. At the end of the day, there should be a dedicated motorsport channel which you can pay for. Im not paying £30 for a weeks worth of racing a year
Would (enough) people pay for it? I suspect not.

MotorsTV coverage, when there is racing as you say, is excellent. DTM, ALMS, LMS, BTTC full meetings NASCAR Busch, and much more.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 17:43 (Ref:1520433)   #11
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget that some people haven't the choice of getting Sky, ie. me.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1520441)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
A terrestrial Motor racing station then?
Old 11 Feb 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1520444)   #13
C.U.Motorsport
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coventry UK
Maybe if the BBC decided to focus once again on motorsport, they could dedicate a freeview channel to it. And when there is no racing, they could put documentaries and top gear etc. I love documentaries, i love engineering and most of all i love motorsport. I cant wait until TV becomes customisable so you can dump all the reality tv crap and soaps and focus on what you like. Tv, I find is a waste of time mostly. I have resigned myself to using my computer for media. Its all there if you want it, when you want it. And you can watch it again and again. Obviously i download legally
Old 11 Feb 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1520446)   #14
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Here, we cannot even watch races on the Net and no station shows them.

This is something that really lacks in A1Gp; coverage.

Should they have more coverage, they would be more popular .
Old 11 Feb 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1520462)   #15
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agreed - i think they should open the stream up to all countries that dont have a TV package of any kind, be it freeview or PPV. I think it used to be, but i have a feeling the stream provider has changed recently which might explain the further limiting of countries....
Old 11 Feb 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1520476)   #16
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pop down your local pub have a quiet word in the landlords ear and he might set one of the TV's up in a corner away from all the drunken football supporters so you can watch it in peace with a pint of stella. See you all in the "Poachers Pocket" Walderslade Rochester Kent, sunday lunch time, by the way stella is £1.99 a pint
Old 11 Feb 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1520537)   #17
safc_fan89
Veteran

No chance of that happening! And would pubs open early in the morning so you can watch A1GP? It would be good if they did...

It's a shame that in the UK one of the terrestrial channels could have got the coverage rights, but never mind.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 22:05 (Ref:1520546)   #18
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Move down to kent and you will find a number of 24 hour pubs, that said i was looking in autosport to see if i could find the times, and as autosport have not printed them i was not sure as and when the races was being show.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 23:48 (Ref:1520616)   #19
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
its the only major series that you can't get free coverage of in the UK (oh and Champ Car) all the rest are either on terrestrial or streaming - (FIA GT & LMES)
Old 26 Feb 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1532035)   #20
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
It appears there's been a change in the online streaming situation for this weekend.
The home page link has changed from a list of countries, with happily included France (online is the only way to watch it live over here); to now "Netherlands and other countries".
When you click you get two options - one for USA (if you try and click on it from outside the US you get it refused) and one for everywhere else, which then opens a payment screen. It's 5€ for a low-quality stream and 7,50€ for a high-quality stream.
I don't know if this might work all over the world for future events(apparantly "Due to contractual obligations the streams for this event will only be available in the following countries: Canada, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Finland, France, Brazil, Japan, Denmark, Switzerland, Iceland, Faroe Islands), and if it does it might be of interest for those without Sky who still want to follow A1GP. Sadly for me, my LAN is slowed by heavy usage on a Sunday evening, so there's no point in my spending 5€ when I know full well it will spend most of the coverage buffering
I've sent an e-mail to A1GP giving them my opinion on this. I'll let you know if/when I get a reply...
Old 26 Feb 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1532054)   #21
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And what IS your opinion?
Old 26 Feb 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1532067)   #22
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in Canada and have the feed opened now. I clicked USA and it worked.

If there is no coverage then the feed should be reasonably price. ChampCar was $30 US for the season last year and they then ended up doing most races for free.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1532068)   #23
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
That if they are going to charge people, it would be better to give a bit of notice instead of finding out on the last minute.
On a personal level I do believe it's too much for the quality of streaming I've seen in previous rounds, but that is variable from person to person.
I also don't think that by charging they're going to increase the interest in A1, which is critical in it's first season. If anyone has heard how good the series is as was going to watch it for the first time tonight, very few of them will be prepared to pay just to see what it's like.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 21:45 (Ref:1532082)   #24
safc_fan89
Veteran

The streaming isn't really worth paying that much for, I don't think. I wouldn't pay for it anyway.

Having free live streaming EVERYWHERE would be good, because then the popularity would increase (well, I would watch it so that's one more viewer ), and people aren't going to watch something on the internet rather than from their TV screen, so no-one loses out in any way.

Can't see that happening though
Old 27 Feb 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1532644)   #25
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
The streaming isn't really worth paying that much for, I don't think. I wouldn't pay for it anyway.

Having free live streaming EVERYWHERE would be good, because then the popularity would increase (well, I would watch it so that's one more viewer ), and people aren't going to watch something on the internet rather than from their TV screen, so no-one loses out in any way.

Can't see that happening though
I agree. Remember the days when we could watch races - no computer required? Looking all around, it kinda looks like being a fan of some of these series means being computer dependent. I really really wanted to see Carpentier race in this past A1GP - and I tried again through the computer. No luck. Again. I've not seen one of these races - and I find myself becoming disinterested in the series that have their events broadcast through the computer only. Come to think of it - how on earth did we ever talk about racing before computer chat boards too.............