Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28 Nov 2011, 13:49 (Ref:2992437)   #1076
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
I wonder what planet BBC, Sky, the teams, everyone is on when they say this is "great" for the fans. I'm failing to see how it is great in the least little way.
Oh, that's simple. The teams have sucked up to Bernie since time immemorial (well, not immemorial: when he started earning them megabucks). In the long-term, they may suffer somewhat. The sport will suffer in myriad unquantifiable ways. It's not that interest will drop as such; but new interest will not be generated. It will also damage grassroots motorsport which needed all the help it could get.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 13:52 (Ref:2992442)   #1077
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This new channel looks great.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 14:05 (Ref:2992449)   #1078
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post

Announcing the new channel,Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports, said: “Formula 1 followers are hungry for more
No, they aren't. They were happy with BBC levels of coverage.

Quote:
“We can now tell the whole story of the season"
What are they going to do - hack the drivers' phones?

Quote:

“With a dedicated channel for Formula 1 we can also give all sports fans the depth and breadth of sports they demand every weekend, right through the year.”

I don't want F1 every weekend. Just the weekends it's on. And they still think F1 fans are fans of all their other sports, or are pretending to.

Quote:

Jeremy Darroch,Sky’s Chief Executive, added: “This brand new channel again proves just how much money we had to bundle Bernie".

Last edited by Born Racer; 28 Nov 2011 at 14:12.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 14:26 (Ref:2992458)   #1079
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
No, they aren't. They were happy with BBC levels of coverage.
Personally I'd like more, I'd like more indepth coverage of techincal articles and I'm sure with the extended airtime available we'll see them. I'd be happy to see all the little technical inserts expanded. Marty getting to put together an hour on tyre testing rather than a 5 minute insert, that's the kind of extra depth I'm hoping for.
Quote:
I don't want F1 every weekend. Just the weekends it's on.
I'd like to have that choice.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 14:28 (Ref:2992460)   #1080
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Personally I'd like more, I'd like more in-depth coverage of techincal articles
Me too.

Quote:
I'd like to have that choice.
Me too, but I sense it's going to be more along the lines of News of the World-esque fluff. So it will be 'Cooking an Italian-influenced barbecue with Daniel Ricciardaroo'.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 14:30 (Ref:2992464)   #1081
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Personally I'd like more, I'd like more indepth coverage of techincal articles and I'm sure with the extended airtime available we'll see them. I'd be happy to see all the little technical inserts expanded. Marty getting to put together an hour on tyre testing rather than a 5 minute insert, that's the kind of extra depth I'm hoping for.
You're lucky to have that much time to dedicate to watching the TV. My wife thinks the 3 hour coverage is far too long and thinks the SKY deal is fantastic as she thinks its time for me to get a life instead of watching so much F1 lol.

I would have been happy with full race re-runs on the BBC as that still wouldn't take any of the excitement out of things if you don't know the results anyway.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2992466)   #1082
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

The problem, even with re-runs henners is that you cannot use live timing, which I exploit a great deal during races. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the RTL route and my new German evening course.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 14:47 (Ref:2992470)   #1083
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
The problem, even with re-runs henners is that you cannot use live timing, which I exploit a great deal during races. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the RTL route and my new German evening course.
Yeah I've done the same in the past myself and I appreciate that. Its also annoying for people on forums when others have seen the race delayed because the same points and opinions get repeated. I know I won't be going through threads to see if the point I want to make has already been discussed. Thats just something people will have to put up with. Still as a last resort I wouldn't have minded delayed re-runs as at least you will get to see the whole race.

Its a bit weird watching highlights and screaming on your knees over something that happened hours earlier too lol. I did consider the RTL route but its too much hassle setting it up to be used for only 10 races a year IMO. I'd rather the figures take a hit and I'll watch it on the internet for free lol.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 14:57 (Ref:2992475)   #1084
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Re-runs would have been more welcome, as in the highlights, they tend to gloss over the change in laps, i.e. just changing shot and trying to make it look seamless, when it would be more beneficial to have a commentary laid over it that acknowledges the change in the part of the race being shown.

I suspect it was a part of the deal though.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2992478)   #1085
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
@MagnetON You're lucky to have that much time to dedicate to watching the TV.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 15:27 (Ref:2992485)   #1086
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
you can with various live time apps available for your smart phone or tablet device....obviously that just costs you more money though.

Quote:
... THE FULL SEASON IN-DEPTH:Over nine full months, viewers will have a wealth of programmes with in-depth interviews, archive action and weekly magazine shows.
one thing that is noticed mentioned in the Sky release that does not seem to getting much attention is the mention of archive action. i am sure more details will emerge but if they mean classic races then all i can say is it is about time.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2992578)   #1087
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The beeb showed some classic races on red button. However if these are on a dedicated channel. Mmmmmm, lovely.

Also for those who like that kind of thing ESPN Classic show old GP footage too.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 19:49 (Ref:2992596)   #1088
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I would have been happy with full race re-runs on the BBC as that still wouldn't take any of the excitement out of things if you don't know the results anyway.
I'm sure that Jake said that "non-live" races would be a 2 hour program with full race re-runs?
Old 28 Nov 2011, 20:18 (Ref:2992612)   #1089
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I'm sure that Jake said that "non-live" races would be a 2 hour program with full race re-runs?
He said it would be a full 2 hour programme.

That could mean 20 minutes of build-up, 90 minutes of race highlights, then 10 minutes for podium and post-race interviews.

Virginmedia have not announced if they have got an agreement for the Sky F1 channel yet. I hope if they do get it, they will bundle it with sports & HD as Sky plan to. If I have to buy the sports package then I'll also be signing up on Born Racer's German evening class.

Virgin announcement here: http://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/SKYF1/
Old 28 Nov 2011, 23:39 (Ref:2992709)   #1090
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
(moved from sky commentators thread asitvwas off topic there).

I don't care who it is, because I won't be watching Sky.

I will watch the races on BBC, so that's a half of one viewer they've lost by this change. I'm sure there will be many more.

If all this dodgy dealing was done to save the BBC money, they should have just done a lower budget version of what they've done this year. We really don't need that many presenters, nor that many cameramen and other techies.

This is a far more retrograde step than when F1 moved from BBC to ITV.

Last edited by Adam43; 29 Nov 2011 at 08:47.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 00:17 (Ref:2992721)   #1091
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess me and F1 will be ending our relationship here then.

I have Virgin, but not the sports channels, and I certainly won't be paying for them just to line Bernie's pockets.

I have been gradually losing interest in F1 over the last few years anyway and as I will be unlikely to avoid the results ecvery week until BBC decide to show us the highlights there seems to be little point in pretending I'm going to remain a fan for much longer.

F1 will become something I catch occasionally if it is on BBC live, a bit like the occasional England game.

What a shame it has come to this..I guess I'll be bowing out of 10 Tenths too after 8 years or so..
Old 29 Nov 2011, 00:24 (Ref:2992723)   #1092
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I don't care who it is, because I won't be watching Sky.

I will watch the races on BBC, so that's a half of one viewer they've lost by this change. I'm sure there will be many more.

If all this dodgy dealing was done to save the BBC money, they should have just done a lower budget version of what they've done this year. We really don't need that many presenters, nor that many cameramen and other techies.

This is a far more retrograde step than when F1 moved from BBC to ITV.
Insiders from both ITV and BBC on a broadcast forum site, have pointed out the actual cost of the production ... the things that you suggest should be cut... are in fact tiny compared to the cost of the broadcast rights themselves.

This is proven by the fact that the BBC will be taking an identically sized team with the same/development equipment to each race next year as they have this year.
That's regardless of they have whether Live or Highlights coverage

It's by sharing the costs of the broadcast rights with Sky that the BBC has saved so much money.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 06:35 (Ref:2992792)   #1093
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rossi View Post

What a shame it has come to this..I guess I'll be bowing out of 10 Tenths too after 8 years or so..
That is a shame.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2992814)   #1094
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
That is a shame.
Its bound to happen though and forums will become slightly lighter next year with regular members cutting down their input. You will gain new fans however to even things out.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 08:21 (Ref:2992816)   #1095
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo View Post
He said it would be a full 2 hour programme.

That could mean 20 minutes of build-up, 90 minutes of race highlights, then 10 minutes for podium and post-race interviews.
Precisely. A 2 hour programme does not mean 2 hours of pure racing. I think we'll be lucky to get 90 minutes and it'll be more likely be 70 minutes IMO. As long as all the action is covered and the BBC manage to present it in a way that doesn't skip multiple laps ruining any of the excitement. To be honest thats going to be a difficult job and they know how much pressure they are going to be under from fans so they have to get it very right. If the highlights programme doesn't deliver as promised, then there will be a bigger backlash than ever.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 09:12 (Ref:2992843)   #1096
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
You're lucky to have that much time to dedicate to watching the TV.
No kids and married to EvilPumpkin
Old 29 Nov 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2992845)   #1097
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
No kids and married to EvilPumpkin
I've not got children (yet) and married to a woman with a slightly prettier name than 'EvilPumpkin' lol no offence..

I hope that isn't his/her real name??
Old 29 Nov 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2992850)   #1098
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
I've not got children (yet) and married to a woman with a slightly prettier name than 'EvilPumpkin' lol no offence..

I hope that isn't his/her real name??
lol, I think there's a lot more people in motorsport know her by EvilPumpkin or EP than by her real name!
Old 29 Nov 2011, 09:26 (Ref:2992851)   #1099
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
lol, I think there's a lot more people in motorsport know her by EvilPumpkin or EP than by her real name!
I'm sure there is, they must be the lucky ones.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 10:07 (Ref:2993405)   #1100
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...do-better.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
A lot of negative stuff has been written but I don’t think it’s the disaster it has been painted as.

The rivalry will ensure top quality coverage.

Sky will cater to the hardcore who want wall-to-wall F1, and those with money to burn, while the BBC will continue to produce high-quality coverage both live and in extended highlights packages, online and on the Red Button.
I like how the last sentence reads like it is from Crazy D.

Tags
outrage, sky