Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 10 Aug 2018, 18:07 (Ref:3842840)   #91
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!
IMSA and SC365 are reporting that Detroit is confirmed with a three-year extension.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3842888)   #92
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...sle/955428002/

Seems a wrap to me.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 03:27 (Ref:3842916)   #93
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Excellent.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 03:30 (Ref:3842917)   #94
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Excellent. This is what the series needs, building on a stable platform of traditional races and then expanding.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 22:53 (Ref:3843084)   #95
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Excellent. This is what the series needs, building on a stable platform of traditional races and then expanding.
Traditional and poorly attended? They could keep going to Phoenix for that and fewer cars would be broken. Detroit is a BORE that lines Penske's pockets, it should have been let go and replaced but Indy needs Penske too much.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 00:01 (Ref:3843087)   #96
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Traditional and poorly attended? They could keep going to Phoenix for that and fewer cars would be broken. Detroit is a BORE that lines Penske's pockets, it should have been let go and replaced but Indy needs Penske too much.
Detroit has produced some great racing over the years. When Phoenix came back on the calendar it didn't live up to expectations and now it's gone.

Fewer cars would be broken? The first lap accident at Phoenix in 2017, practically wiped out half the field? The previous year there were 6 FCYs.

If Detroit is lining Penske's pockets, the last time Team Penske won, was at Race 2 in 2016.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 02:25 (Ref:3843093)   #97
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!
I don't get the mindless bashing of Belle Isle either. The racing with the DW12 chassis has been quite good, especially on the Long Course, which they've been using since 2013. It may be a rough, non-permanent course, but so is Toronto, or any number of others. It's not filled with 90-degree corners, and isn't in the middle of an industrial wasteland or stadium carpark. On average speed, it's actually been a bit quicker than the layout at Sonoma that IndyCar hs been using.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 03:57 (Ref:3843097)   #98
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's not mindless bashing. Detroit is a street circuit and some like them. Some don't.

I like it but prefer maybe an annual swap between Detroit and the Burke Lakefront Airport.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 04:48 (Ref:3843102)   #99
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
If the complaint, "boring" (i.e. no passing, no close action, slow, tight, twisty), is inaccurate, then the criticism is mindless.

I'd like Cleveland on the calendar, sure, but I don't mind Detroit having an annual event too. I don't think you'd retain audience just doing it every other year. Look what's happened to other events that missed only a single year, like Toronto.

All that said, I'd be more than fine with simply having one race on Belle Isle; just make that one 85 laps, instead of the current double with 70 apiece.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 06:13 (Ref:3843108)   #100
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whether something is boring or not is a matter of opinion, not accurate or inaccurate.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3843198)   #101
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
It wouldn't bug me so much, but Belle Isle seems to get an inordinate amount of it, and the items I listed are the main culprits as far as opt-cited "reasons" for the ire towards the venue.

And I'm just going "Really?". This isn't the downtown Detroit street circuit, the Caesar's Palace carpark, Fair Park (1984), Phoenix (F1), San Antonio (1987-88), New Orleans (1991), Bayfront Park (2002-03), the 2005 iteration of San Jose, Houston (Reliant Park), or Long Beach (1982-91). I could include more if I go into Trans-Am (like Grand Rapids, Niagara Falls, and the 1988 version of Fair Park), but you get the picture.

Anyway, if there are still going to be 17 races in 2019, then there's got to be something else new/returning coming along. I think we've already taken a definite step up with the move from the IndyCar layout at Sonoma to Laguna Seca.
Old Yesterday, 18:46 (Ref:3843444)   #102
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have certainly enjoyed the Detroit races the past few years.