Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Feb 2013, 22:42 (Ref:3199315)   #1
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ICS Historic Racing Saloon Car Championship

I remember some great races when the ICS saloons visited Knockhill
during the 1990s, when they accompanied The British Touring Car Championship. Looking through some old programmes, I see races took place from 1993 to 1997 inclusive - sample attached.
I am interested to know :

In what year did the ICS Championship begin?
When did it end?
Why did it end?
Were cars which entered exclusive to that championshp, or did
they compete in other events?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Knockhill ICS 250793.pdf (968.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: pdf Knockhill ICS entries 250793.pdf (220.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 5 Feb 2013, 08:41 (Ref:3199461)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
It actually began in 1992 but joined the BTCC in 1993, I believe it did finish in 1997 before turning into various championships finishing up as "Classic Thunder"
By this time as the cut off point was altered allowing newer faster cars in most left and used their cars in other races that they were allowed in.
I did every race in the championships until 2001 and actually won the "Classic Thunder" in that year.
By this time the writing was on the wall for these older cars that were built exploiting all the "grey area's" that they could at the time.
It was a busy schedule in the Toca package as it would take three days at the circuits most of the time and there was no way that I could have done it without backing from my sponsors.
As I was a glutton for punishment I also used to do some "winter warmer" races at Brands and Snetterton with a fair amount of success with the same car in the "off seasons".
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Feb 2013, 08:50 (Ref:3199465)   #3
ascona i2000
Racer

ascona i2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can remember watching this championship on a few occasions. I was at Brands when Roly Nix put his Camaro on its roof at Graham Hill.
The ground actually did shake!!!
Great series with some lovely cars
Old 5 Feb 2013, 09:03 (Ref:3199470)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Historic Racing becoming part of Racing History. Love it. And 'yes' some great cars.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 09:15 (Ref:3199475)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Historic Racing becoming part of Racing History. Love it. And 'yes' some great cars.
yes this is true!

When's someone going to start a thread about the Atlantic computers Historic GT series or similar, as that was the best part of 25 years ago that would also count as Historic racing becoming historic!

The ICS series was pretty good Pete Hall ran a Mustang to start with there was some lovely Anglias and Minis and I remember a great big metal coloured rare Chevrolet model of some description that John Young drove for a while? Not a Camaro, but something else....

Then, later on, Camaro's took over and that was the end of that really I thought?
Old 5 Feb 2013, 09:51 (Ref:3199491)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I remember a great big metal coloured rare Chevrolet model of some description that John Young drove for a while? Not a Camaro, but something else....
It was a Malibu that was sold on to D Tweeks, I think they still have it !
I expect Jason will let us know
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Feb 2013, 14:33 (Ref:3199602)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
It was a Malibu that was sold on to D Tweeks, I think they still have it !
I expect Jason will let us know
Yes that's the one! It looked like it hadn't been finished!!!!
Old 5 Feb 2013, 15:14 (Ref:3199618)   #8
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to add a bit to Gordon's post, particularly the early days of ICS Historic Saloons. Pete Hall first raced with HRSR Historic Saloons in his Mustang in 1991 and his ICS company sponsored the 1992 championship with Pete winning the overall title. It was close as one Gordon Streeter tied on total points but lost out on dropped scores. ICS sponsored the HRSR championship again in 1993 and Pete Hall was overall champion again.
The decision by ICS (co-ordinated by Stuart McCrudden) to become part of the BTCC package made the racing too expensive (both in terms of cost and time) for the average HRSR member and ICS went it's own way with HRSR struggling for a couple of years before becoming part of the HSCC family.

The Malibu was a great car and made it's debut with HRSR in 1989, built by Steve Warrior and driven by John Young. However, it was far too heavily developed during it's ICS years and was hardly a 'Malibu' by the end, albeit intersting as it was a different shape from the usual Mustangs and Camaros and usually driven in an entertaining fashion.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 18:47 (Ref:3199702)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
The decision by ICS (co-ordinated by Stuart McCrudden)
Stuart came in later Pete, it was John Davenport IIRC
Old 5 Feb 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3199730)   #10
ascona i2000
Racer

ascona i2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...s-spec/1060760
Old 5 Feb 2013, 20:09 (Ref:3199756)   #11
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Gordon, Peter, thanks for the information.

I was very impressed by the Malibu, but I don't think it ever won at Knockhill. Mustangs and Camaros were usually the victors.

A few photos attached.

One other question; I remember three yellow Lotus Cortinas from Marksdanes Racing, were the drivers Nick Stagg / Peter Landers / Jim Harris ?
Attached Thumbnails
Knockhill ICS 250793 a.jpg   Knockhill ICS 250793 b.jpg   Knockhill ICS 250793 c.jpg  

Knockhill ICS 250793 d.jpg   Knockhill ICS 250793 e.jpg   Knockhill ICS July 1994 Malibu.jpg  

Old 5 Feb 2013, 20:11 (Ref:3199760)   #12
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Stuart came in later Pete, it was John Davenport IIRC
Quite correct - it was John Davenport. But it was 20 years ago!
Old 5 Feb 2013, 20:14 (Ref:3199761)   #13
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Malcolm, the third Marksdanes driver was Jim Harris, along with Nick and Peter. Number 72 in your photos was Glen Maskell - one of the founders of HRSR. Also , the Anglia in the distance in one of the shots looks a bit Gordon Streeterish. I see from the entry list in your earlier post that I was down for the Knockhill event but I didn't make it there. Still haven't!

Last edited by morninggents; 5 Feb 2013 at 20:22.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 20:20 (Ref:3199765)   #14
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Malcolm, the third Marksdanes driver was Jim harris. Number 72 in your photos was Glen Maskell - one of the founders of HRSR. Also , the Anglia in the distance in one of the shots looks a bit Gordon Streeterish. I see from the entry list in your earlier post that I was down for the Knockhill event but I didn't make it there. Still haven't!
Thanks.

I'm sure that you would be welcome in the Invitation Class of the Scottish Classics!
Old 5 Feb 2013, 20:23 (Ref:3199768)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Is that a young Mark Wright pushing the Mustang onto the trailer?
Old 5 Feb 2013, 21:41 (Ref:3199816)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Is that a young Mark Wright pushing the Mustang onto the trailer?
No that is John Simons who was Pete's mechanic, he worked for Andy Rouse and ICS.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 5 Feb 2013 at 22:10.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 21:45 (Ref:3199817)   #17
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

The ICS series was pretty good Pete Hall ran a Mustang to start with there was some lovely Anglias and Minis and I remember a great big metal coloured rare Chevrolet model of some description that John Young drove for a while? Not a Camaro, but something else....

Then, later on, Camaro's took over and that was the end of that really I thought?
Thinking back, the ICS saloons always used to be one of the highlights of of a BTCC meeting for me- as you say, some great cars.

Nick Swift's yellow Mini was always a favourite- I've got a vague recollection of him having a really entertaining scrap for the lead with one of the V8s (John Young comes to mind, but in a Mustang, rather than the Malibu?) at a wet Brands Indy.

There were always plenty of Mustangs and Camaros around- a couple we've not mentioned so far- Nicky and Amanda Torregiani's 'his & hers' pair of Mustangs in their distinctive 'Malta National Tourist Office' colours- IIRC did they have a Lotus Cortina as well?
http://www.jwarthog.com/images/mustang_0001.jpg
Old 5 Feb 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3199822)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
There were always plenty of Mustangs and Camaros around- a couple we've not mentioned so far- Nicky and Amanda Torregiani's 'his & hers' pair of Mustangs in their distinctive 'Malta National Tourist Office' colours- IIRC did they have a Lotus Cortina as well?
Yes Nick had the "Classic Mustang and Amanda had the "fastback" version, and they did have a Cortina that Norman Rickets brought (and still has) along with Simon Crompton's BMW that was a winner on many occasions.
Swifty won outright at Oulton Park in the rain as well in his rapid Mini !
Old 10 Feb 2013, 22:24 (Ref:3202582)   #19
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just come across this on 105speed forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PWylI979F8
Old 10 Feb 2013, 23:43 (Ref:3202619)   #20
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Mmm I don't know what happened in that race as I had qualified up the sharp end ?
Old 11 Feb 2013, 00:52 (Ref:3202655)   #21
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
I think that was the one where Bob Sherring put his Galaxie on it's roof coming out of Sear on the first lap. The race was red flagged and restarted. Note you weren't in the restart, Gordon. I wasn't there that day so don't know what happened.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 15:58 (Ref:3204100)   #22
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I loved watching the ICS series when it came to Knockhill. Especially as it was even narrower back then before they did the upgrades.

I noticed some yellow Cortinas. The Vaulkhards ran a yellow Cortina in various historic races a few years back, same car?
Old 13 Feb 2013, 18:24 (Ref:3204154)   #23
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I noticed some yellow Cortinas. The Vaulkhards ran a yellow Cortina in various historic races a few years back, same car?
Yes but Nigel's wasn't one of the Marksdane cars, his was run by John Smirthwaite. I believe he still has it as I have raced against it up to a few years back at Spa.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 13 Feb 2013 at 18:33.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 19:47 (Ref:3204187)   #24
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
This one !
Attached Thumbnails
NV.jpg  
Old 14 Feb 2013, 20:25 (Ref:3204841)   #25
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Quote:
Yes but Nigel's wasn't one of the Marksdane cars, his was run by John Smirthwaite. I believe he still has it as I have raced against it up to a few years back at Spa.
I'm fairly sure that Nigel Vaulkhard's was that previously entered by Sean Brown - during his ownership it was red, with Momo sponsorship. (I have a photo somewhere..... but can't find it now.)

Last edited by Malcolm Smith; 14 Feb 2013 at 20:26. Reason: typing error