Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Apr 2021, 18:41 (Ref:4046933)   #1976
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
It was the red 2CV that impressed me today, a really well sorted car. Just add a breadvan to the eggs delivered by the 2CV and you could have an acceptable sandwich omelette!
Old 20 Apr 2021, 20:24 (Ref:4046958)   #1977
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
How is Mary doing with her ARDS, or is that not allowed yet?
This Friday Mike . Me and Dave popped over to see Mary last week . She will sail through the test . Don?t think I would .🙄
Old 20 Apr 2021, 20:31 (Ref:4046960)   #1978
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
This Friday Mike . Me and Dave popped over to see Mary last week . She will sail through the test . Don?t think I would .🙄

Thanks, Iain. I wish her well for the day. And I am sure that I wouldn't!
Old 21 Apr 2021, 08:22 (Ref:4047018)   #1979
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hope she does well, she can do it. We're all behind her
Old 21 Apr 2021, 09:42 (Ref:4047036)   #1980
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I just had a look to what is an ARDS test. Not an easy task but well put together. Serious business: https://www.classicandsportsfinance....acing-licence/
Old 21 Apr 2021, 12:26 (Ref:4047078)   #1981
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I just had a look to what is an ARDS test. Not an easy task but well put together. Serious business: https://www.classicandsportsfinance....acing-licence/

Interesting article - it may well have tightened up a little since I took my ARDS test some 13/14 years ago, but I didn't find it difficult, despite having no instruction or previous track experience (although a lot of rally experience, mainly as a co-driver or marshal). I was amazed when one of our group failed the written test, as it seemed so easy - but they did allow him to immediately re-sit it......

Don't know if anyone failed the track driving section, but my feeling was that if you didn't drive like a rock-ape you'd pass.....

I do still maintain a certain wariness around competitors still wearing the mandatory (for the first six races) novice cross - on the grounds that if I could pass easily any clown could........
Old 21 Apr 2021, 13:21 (Ref:4047093)   #1982
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
All in all, a very good thing, included the driving section which does not sound easy from this article. And the cross thing's perfect. I wonder why this is not adopted here. Lack of interest or skill or both? The market is ridiculous compared to yours may be not worth to bother.

I guess your reference to rock-ape is not aus-related…

Last edited by Gerard C; 21 Apr 2021 at 13:27.
Old 21 Apr 2021, 15:43 (Ref:4047116)   #1983
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I guess your reference to rock-ape is not aus-related…

It could refer to members of the Royal Air Force Regiment whose primary job, or so I believe, is the security and defence of the RAF bases. Or it could be a reference to those cute furry animals that roam around the Rock of Gibraltar or maybe the Barbary Macaques that have made their home there.
Old 21 Apr 2021, 16:10 (Ref:4047117)   #1984
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gerard, have you seen confinement really is going to end on St Boris Day - where's the party?? We'll have to wait another couple of weeks for a beer or a coffee but at least we won't have to worry so much every time we get more than 30km from home!
Old 21 Apr 2021, 16:32 (Ref:4047120)   #1985
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John, I know you're serious but this news I had'nt! Who said that? Nabot-Léon?
Old 21 Apr 2021, 16:45 (Ref:4047125)   #1986
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ok, I see, Attal then. Fact is they cant ask to people any more effort about lock down, holidays are coming, sun is shining and vaccines are… well, are not!
Old 21 Apr 2021, 16:50 (Ref:4047128)   #1987
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Ok, I see, Attal then. Fact is they cant ask to people any more effort about lock down, holidays are coming, sun is shining and vaccines are… well, are not!
Ah, you found it. Yes Attat, the miserable school prefect. I think he prefers to tell us bad news!

They couldn't make it last any longer - it is almost universally ignored. Reading Joe Saward's journey to Imola blog, he spoke of leaving home at dawn & then running into a massive traffic jam - in the midst of a so-called confinement.
Old 21 Apr 2021, 17:04 (Ref:4047133)   #1988
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The target for the jab is rather conservative… It might be reached end of January 2022. Only 4.7 M people having had two jabs, meaning 7% in total. Would it be beaujolais or pastis…
Old 22 Apr 2021, 07:35 (Ref:4047225)   #1989
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
the miserable school prefect. I think he prefers to tell us bad news!
As to this miserable person, I see that my dictionary does not suggest any translation for "Tete a Claques" ! He is the perfect incarnation, dont you think so?
Still waiting for the day they reintroduce the physical punishment to be applied to the politicians…
Old 22 Apr 2021, 14:05 (Ref:4047297)   #1990
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Technical question - I need to charge a battery for a garden tractor. The leaflet says to use a motorcycle charger, but is that any different to a normal car charger?

Any help gratefully received!
Old 22 Apr 2021, 14:19 (Ref:4047301)   #1991
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Technical question - I need to charge a battery for a garden tractor. The leaflet says to use a motorcycle charger, but is that any different to a normal car charger?

In general:
A motorcycle charger will usually be 'trickle' (maintenance) - designed to keep a motorcycle battery charged during long periods of inactivity.
A car charger will be 'rapid' - designed to get a flat battery to a charged state as quickly as possible.

So if the tractor is stating a motorcycle charger, that means the battery is designed for trickle charge, not rapid charging. Using a car charger may be OK if the charger has a 'trickle' option - otherwise you risk damaging the battery.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 14:21 (Ref:4047302)   #1992
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
+1.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 14:25 (Ref:4047304)   #1993
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:

I believe that the amperage charging rate is considerably higher for a car battery as it is larger. So, using a car charger would potentially over-charge the battery on the tractor. Apologies if this is not the technical answer, but I do believe that it's basically correct.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 14:35 (Ref:4047306)   #1994
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Thanks all for your replies.

Never had anything to do with motorcycles so was unaware of any differences.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 14:39 (Ref:4047307)   #1995
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Apologies if this is not the technical answer, but I do believe that it's basically correct.
And your British English is superb!
To tell you how seriously the curfew and lockdown things are taken here, a small group just sent "une petite culotte en dentelle" to our instances. What is the message? Simple, those dames want to say that if bookshops, bakeries or craft shops are open then why not bells and whistles shops? At last sensible things are highlighted! Back to your edible panties, Mike!
Old 22 Apr 2021, 15:29 (Ref:4047316)   #1996
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
back in the day bikes were 6v vs cars 12v - could it be that or have they all standardised nowadays? (as you can tell I also know nowt about bikes)
Old 22 Apr 2021, 15:44 (Ref:4047325)   #1997
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
back in the day bikes were 6v vs cars 12v - could it be that or have they all standardised nowadays? (as you can tell I also know nowt about bikes)
Glad it is not just me!

The battery I have here is 12v, a FIAMM.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 15:47 (Ref:4047326)   #1998
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post

Being of a fairly similar vintage to you, David, my initial thoughts were the same as you. In fact, until recently I had a pretty swish charger that had three, no four settings. Firstly was a fast charge for 12 volts, then a trickle rate, then 12 volts for bikes and finally 6 volts.

And I also know nowt about bikes.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 16:12 (Ref:4047333)   #1999
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Over the years things have change, you see. Today, a Yamaha 1000 cc pumps out around 200 hp, a good 600 makes c 120 hp, both remaining reliable and road homologated. In '76, a 750 Trident had 60 hp…
Sorry if this is surprising news for you but the name Neil Armstrong is connected to the moon not to a shock absorber!

John, with such a FIAMM battery I guess the horn plays La Cucaracha just to scare the groundhogs and moles sleeping around! If the thing does not start, check the coil and pull the string!
Old 23 Apr 2021, 07:09 (Ref:4047439)   #2000
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
If your charger doesn't have a trickle charge option, you could always use a car battery as a buffer. Connect the charger to your larger car battery, and use jump leads (or something much lighter, there won't be the amperage) from that to your mini tractor battery.