Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Mar 2021, 18:25 (Ref:4040343)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Murray Walker

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56388596

Old 13 Mar 2021, 18:29 (Ref:4040344)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The passing of a true broadcasting legend.
Old 13 Mar 2021, 18:36 (Ref:4040346)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 13 Mar 2021, 18:41 (Ref:4040347)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd been anticipating this day coming for a while. He was obviously very elderly by now, but it doesn't make it any less a passing. A formidable character - unique - and someone who inspired enthusiasm among many who heard him. His style might not have been everyone's favourite, but his passion was infectious and he certainly garnered generations of fans, myself included.

My earliest memories of Grands Prix were hearing Murray screaming as loud as the engines. It fired me up back then and in special moments in Grands Prix now, I still wonder - just what would Murray have come out with?
Old 13 Mar 2021, 19:06 (Ref:4040351)   #5
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wish he could have been knighted. A giant of broadcasting and as we've seen over the last couple of decades, irreplaceable.
Old 13 Mar 2021, 19:12 (Ref:4040354)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
rip
Old 13 Mar 2021, 19:19 (Ref:4040355)   #7
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What many people, especially outside of the UK, might not realise is the enthusiasm and knowledge Murray had for all motorsport, not just Formula 1. For many years he was not only the voice of F1, but also the British Touring Car Championship and rallycross events. And he never once delivered anything less on these more minor events. He'd bring the same passion to commentating on soapbox derby as he did for a F1 world championship decider.
Old 13 Mar 2021, 19:30 (Ref:4040357)   #8
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rest in Peace Murray.
Old 13 Mar 2021, 19:31 (Ref:4040358)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember when my dad and I went karting, we would tape the Grands Prix, only to sometimes have a major moment ruined when walking round the paddock, we’d hear the TV on in someone’s awning and Murray would shout a spoiler at a lot of decibels.
Old 13 Mar 2021, 19:46 (Ref:4040359)   #10
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Years ago (1975s) he did the commentary bit on the classic animated film The Pinchcliffe Grand Prix and in this century his did some for Roary The Racing Car, all with the same enthusiasm as in a GP!
Old 13 Mar 2021, 19:46 (Ref:4040360)   #11
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very sad. A true F1 legend.
Old 13 Mar 2021, 19:56 (Ref:4040361)   #12
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm far from the oldest in here, but this man was my childhood. He is a big reason I love motorsport.
Old 13 Mar 2021, 20:23 (Ref:4040364)   #13
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rest in Peace Murray.

His voice was my introduction to F1, and motorsports in general, and his enthusiasm made everything sound like it was the most exciting thing to ever happen. He could have narrated you eating breakfast and made it seem epic.
Old 13 Mar 2021, 20:47 (Ref:4040365)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I'd been anticipating this day coming for a while. He was obviously very elderly by now, but it doesn't make it any less a passing. A formidable character - unique - and someone who inspired enthusiasm among many who heard him. His style might not have been everyone's favourite, but his passion was infectious and he certainly garnered generations of fans, myself included.

My earliest memories of Grands Prix were hearing Murray screaming as loud as the engines. It fired me up back then and in special moments in Grands Prix now, I still wonder - just what would Murray have come out with?
Couldn't have put it better myself. RIP Murray.

I only ever met the man once and then only briefly. I was in the paddock at Thruxton when Paul Stewart was running in F3. Jackie was there and (rather ungratiously I have to say) agreed to sign my programme. I walked a few yards away and Murray was walking towards me, I said 'Good Morning' he replied similarly and I told him that Jackie Stewart was in the F3 paddock and he thanked me and rushed off to see him, but not before I got him to sign the programme too (this time with impeccable grace).

Last edited by Aysedasi; 13 Mar 2021 at 20:52.
Old 13 Mar 2021, 20:50 (Ref:4040366)   #15
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Murray is immortal. His voice all over the golden age of F1 TV. His voice, indeed, all over the classic F1 games. See any nostalgia clip or rerun of a bygone race and he greets us with his boundless enthusiasm. RIP to a true one-of-a-kind.
Old 13 Mar 2021, 22:16 (Ref:4040380)   #16
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
So very very sad.

his enthusiasm helped fuel my love of f1.
Unless im very much mistaken he will be missed by all of the f1 circus
Old 13 Mar 2021, 23:01 (Ref:4040382)   #17
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also reading all the obituaries made me notice that it was still just Murray Walker OBE. Now I don't agree at all with the honours system in this country, but if people like Andy Murray and Lewis Hamilton have already done enough to earn it, then surely Murray's lifetime of contribution to commentary should have done so.
Old 14 Mar 2021, 04:00 (Ref:4040392)   #18
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad, RIP Murray.
Not only F1 , but you tackled the Mountain at Bathurst

https://www.google.com/search?q=murr...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 14 Mar 2021, 06:37 (Ref:4040396)   #19
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post

Well said BR. My thoughts as well.
Very, very sad news.

RIP Murray Walker, and thanks for all the great memories.
Old 14 Mar 2021, 07:27 (Ref:4040401)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
This was Murray's life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrZw...el=LeeJane2009
Old 14 Mar 2021, 07:49 (Ref:4040403)   #21
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I spent a large part of a day with Murray when we had him at the Silverstone Classic back in 2008. My job on the day was to make sure he got to the various interviews, book signings, hospitality suites, etc. We also had him commentate on the 70's and 80's TGP F1 cars race, which brought back many memories.

RIP
Old 14 Mar 2021, 08:42 (Ref:4040408)   #22
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
I learned some years back not to mourn our losses, rather, to celebrate what we had.

"I'm ready to stop my start watch."

https://www.eurosport.com/formula-1/...54/story.shtml

Thank you Murray.

Last edited by jimclark; 14 Mar 2021 at 08:51.

jimclark
Old 14 Mar 2021, 09:17 (Ref:4040411)   #23
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sad news. It felt almost like he was going to be with us forever. Won't be the same without him

Grew up in the 90s with him commentating on F1 and the BTCC and always enjoyed his style. Never got to meet him, although my brother has his autograph safely hidden away

RIP Murray. At least the great commentary duo of you and Hunt are reunited in time for the new F1 season
Old 14 Mar 2021, 09:42 (Ref:4040416)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is a thread here: https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...86#post4040386 in Tributes. We can merge this thread later. He was a complete legend, such a gentleman. Always made time to speak to the general public. RIP Murray.
Old 14 Mar 2021, 09:45 (Ref:4040417)   #25
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
He did a huge range of events, his first being a hill climb in 1949, he did the TV Trophy sporting trial, rally cross and that odd event Autopoint between the army and London Motor Club each winter.
he dis the commentary on the classic animated film The Pinchiffe Grand Prix (still worth watching) in the 70s and in this century he did it again for Roary the Racing Car.
Also he was a successful advertising executive with several famous adverts to his credit.