Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Mar 2021, 02:39 (Ref:4040923)   #26
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
He did a huge range of events, his first being a hill climb in 1949, he did the TV Trophy sporting trial, rally cross and that odd event Autopoint between the army and London Motor Club each winter.
he dis the commentary on the classic animated film The Pinchiffe Grand Prix (still worth watching) in the 70s and in this century he did it again for Roary the Racing Car.
Also he was a successful advertising executive with several famous adverts to his credit.
Let's not forget his weight lifting commentary.
Old 17 Mar 2021, 06:41 (Ref:4040939)   #27
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Also he was a successful advertising executive with several famous adverts to his credit.
"A Mars a day helps you work rest and play" being one that most will recall. Not to mention "Trill, makes your budgie bounce" and "Opal Fruits, made to make your mouth water" being a couple of other Murray invented slogans.
Old 17 Mar 2021, 06:56 (Ref:4040941)   #28
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
"A Mars a day helps you work rest and play" being one that most will recall. Not to mention "Trill, makes your budgie bounce" and "Opal Fruits, made to make your mouth water" being a couple of other Murray invented slogans.
Actually, he didn’t come up with the Mars one.
Old 17 Mar 2021, 10:23 (Ref:4040970)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
No that was a myth. He definitely came up with the Opal Fruits slogan, but he denies any credit for the Mars slogan
Old 17 Mar 2021, 18:49 (Ref:4041103)   #30
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Wonder if he had something to do with "Murray Mints, Murray mints the to good to hurry mints" perhaps not but it sort of feels right as his style was just that
Old 17 Mar 2021, 19:10 (Ref:4041106)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I had no idea he was involved in advertising.
Old 17 Mar 2021, 19:11 (Ref:4041107)   #32
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You guys have probably already seen this but putting it out there anyway (from motorsport.com):

Murrayisms – amusing slip ups that occurred during his commentary...
Old 17 Mar 2021, 19:30 (Ref:4041109)   #33
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having spent some time with him on a few occasions a long, long time ago, I found him to the most charming companion and the most knowledgable person on all forms of motorsport that I have had the pleasure of meeting. Maybe apart from Gregor Grant, that is.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 11:25 (Ref:4041172)   #34
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I simply cannot convey how much influence Murray had on my introduction and love of all motorsport, he will (and has been for the last 20 years) sadly missed in front of the mic.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 12:10 (Ref:4041183)   #35
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Watched the documentary last night. I just came away feeling that I would have loved to have spent an hour or so in his company.

He lived a life where he got paid for his job, which was his passion. Fantastic. Obviously held in high regard by the drivers and F1 personnel. Just seeing him bump into Michael Schumacher for a chat - it was obvious the warmth between them.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 12:26 (Ref:4041190)   #36
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Watched the documentary last night. I just came away feeling that I would have loved to have spent an hour or so in his company.

He lived a life where he got paid for his job, which was his passion. Fantastic. Obviously held in high regard by the drivers and F1 personnel. Just seeing him bump into Michael Schumacher for a chat - it was obvious the warmth between them.
I too watched the BBC documentary last night on catch up. Although I'd seen a lot of the footage before I found it fascinating and to be honest, very emotional. Murray was responsible for first of all introducing me to motorsport as a child over 50 years ago and then kindling that interest ever since.
RIP Murray
Old 18 Mar 2021, 15:43 (Ref:4041249)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I remember that documentary first came out in 2011 and I enjoyed it. They also had an ‘updated’ version in 2018. Really quite a life he had, sad it had to end. Even though he gave up commentary full time in the early 00s, it says a lot that he is still revered by so many people. Thanks for the memories Muzza
Old 28 Mar 2021, 21:20 (Ref:4043591)   #38
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know if I would have got into motorsport so heavily if it wasn't for Murray. As a tiny kid (me that is) I thought he was simultaneously hilarious and gripping and would grab my attention again should I dare to drift off during a race.

As I got older I came to appreciate and absorb his knowledge which reinforced my interest, probably for life. I can't know for sure, but I feel pretty certain this would not have been the case had James Allen been in the commentary booth.

What an amazing life he had. RIP Murray.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 28 Mar 2021 at 21:32.
Old 28 Mar 2021, 21:27 (Ref:4043597)   #39
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I don't know if I would have got into motorsport so heavily if it wasn't for Murray. As a tiny kid I thought he was simultaneously hilarious and gripping and would grab my attention again should I dare to drift off during a race.

As I got older I came to appreciate and absorb his knowledge which reinforced my interest, probably for life. I can't know for sure, but I feel pretty certain this would not have been the case had James Allen been in the commentary booth.

What an amazing life he had. RIP Murray.
Yes I concur with all of that.

Murray's ebullient style whilst showing respect for the drivers makes the likes of Croft seem little more than a fairground announcer.

The gulf in class is enormous.
Old 29 Mar 2021, 01:27 (Ref:4043631)   #40
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sky have tweeted their Murray tribute that they showed today on the coverage

https://twitter.com/skysportsf1/stat...541727237?s=21
Old 29 Mar 2021, 07:49 (Ref:4043661)   #41
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Indy farewell still gets me.

I am so glad he got to enjoy two decades of retirement.
Old 29 Mar 2021, 09:10 (Ref:4043675)   #42
S griffin
Veteran

I thought it was a nice touch of Williams to put his 'lump in my throat' quote on their halo