Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Mar 2021, 21:20 (Ref:4043019)   #26
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It’s not good long term to have it all behind a pay wall. It won’t attract new fans doing that. It’s a very short sighted view IMHO
is it though?

is having more fans, more viewers, more likes on twitter etc ever the answer?

that said, i do dislike how the pay wall prevents long time fans from continuing to access the sport which they love. thats the real loss imo...and on that i would think we all agree.
Old 26 Mar 2021, 10:55 (Ref:4043074)   #27
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I see the positive COVID tests have started already - two at Aston Martin. That didn't take long.
Old 26 Mar 2021, 12:41 (Ref:4043095)   #28
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FP1 isn't something I'd usually watch but I did today, simply because it was on.

McLaren looked good, as did Merc, Red Bull, Ferrari, AlphaTauri, Alfa Romeo. Alpine a bit "meh", Haas awful and Williams sadly only just in front of them.

I know, I know, first practice of the season, aero runs, setup tests etc. But F1!
Old 26 Mar 2021, 13:26 (Ref:4043102)   #29
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
is it though?

is having more fans, more viewers, more likes on twitter etc ever the answer?

that said, i do dislike how the pay wall prevents long time fans from continuing to access the sport which they love. thats the real loss imo...and on that i would think we all agree.
Having more fans, more viewers, isn't the same thing as having more likes on twitter. Having more fans and more viewers, is what advertisers, sponsors and broadcasters want.

The real loss is to the sport due to the drop in TV viewers, either by preventing long time fans continuing to access the sport and not being able to attract new fans to the sport, because it is prohibitively costly.
Old 26 Mar 2021, 15:14 (Ref:4043111)   #30
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
There's the first off of a race weekend in 2021, Raikkonen in the fence between turns 2 and 3. Whoops.
Old 26 Mar 2021, 15:21 (Ref:4043112)   #31
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
There's the first off of a race weekend in 2021, Raikkonen in the fence between turns 2 and 3. Whoops.
No reds though, he drove back to the pits missing a nose fin.
Old 26 Mar 2021, 15:35 (Ref:4043116)   #32
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Having more fans, more viewers, isn't the same thing as having more likes on twitter. Having more fans and more viewers, is what advertisers, sponsors and broadcasters want.

The real loss is to the sport due to the drop in TV viewers, either by preventing long time fans continuing to access the sport and not being able to attract new fans to the sport, because it is prohibitively costly.
as i said, i also lament the loss of long time fans.

but more viewers for me is a double edge sword.

maybe more viewers makes it cheaper to watch (but i just assume cynically that means they have an even greater desire to charge us), but it also leads to the need to make things continuously more exciting (DRS), more races (23 now), a constant stream of new venues each more glitzy then the last.

there is a whole thread about how to fix F1 and im not sure a single one of the ideas mentioned in that thread is helped by more and new viewers.

for me more viewers is really a case of be careful for what you wish for.

anyways, back to the race weekend!
Old 26 Mar 2021, 15:41 (Ref:4043121)   #33
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At least we have practice to concentrate on now

For me F1 should stay true to the hardcore and for me trying to add constant rules doesn't attract more fans. It just makes it harder to follow and defeats the whole object. I just think we need to keep it simple, rather than trying to overcomplicate things. It's gone too far the other way to what F1 is supposed to be about and it needs to stop

But anyway back to the race weekend. Already my appetite is being whetted just by following what has happened in practice so far
Old 26 Mar 2021, 16:46 (Ref:4043137)   #34
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
We're two practice sessions in, and so far it looks absolutely brilliant. In my opinion, 2020 was the best season in Formula 1 for a long time, and this season looks even better. Not only have Verstappen and Red Bull closed the gap to Mercedes, making it look like we could have a three-way championship fight this year between Hamilton, Bottas (who I think will be better than last year) and Verstappen, but McLaren and Ferrari look like they could be in with a shout of a couple of race wins too. Perez is also a big improvement on Albon and will hopefully win a race. I was surprised to see Sainz and Norris as the fastest Ferrari and McLaren drivers, as I rate both of their teammates higher, particularly at Ferrari. If Sainz is genuinely only three tenths off the top, Leclerc could be battling for pole tomorrow. Of course, this could all be fake, and Mercedes could still be sandbagging, but in the past when they have always seemed slow in testing, they have shown their true speed by practice 2. What a season we are going to have!

Also good to see that Alfa Romeo have improved, and Alpha Tauri too. Aston Martin and Alpine were disappointing; hopefully we won't have Alonso and Vettel battling it out for 14th place on Sunday. Haas and Williams look like they will be the new Caterham and Marussia of Formula 1 this year. It's a shame for Russell.
Old 26 Mar 2021, 16:51 (Ref:4043139)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I was surprised to see Sainz and Norris as the fastest Ferrari and McLaren drivers, as I rate both of their teammates higher, particularly at Ferrari. If Sainz is genuinely only three tenths off the top, Leclerc could be battling for pole tomorrow.
Personally I think this is yet to be established. Leclerc is fast but prone to mistakes and errors of judgement. Sainz is a strong, consistent driver, IMO. I don't expect Norris to embarrassed by Ricciardo at all, particularly taking into account his existing McLaren knowledge.
Old 26 Mar 2021, 18:56 (Ref:4043160)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
as i said, i also lament the loss of long time fans.

but more viewers for me is a double edge sword.

maybe more viewers makes it cheaper to watch (but i just assume cynically that means they have an even greater desire to charge us), but it also leads to the need to make things continuously more exciting (DRS), more races (23 now), a constant stream of new venues each more glitzy then the last.

there is a whole thread about how to fix F1 and im not sure a single one of the ideas mentioned in that thread is helped by more and new viewers.

for me more viewers is really a case of be careful for what you wish for.

anyways, back to the race weekend!

Without the viewers, you don't attract the advertisers and sponsors, which a money hungry sport like F1 needs. You just have to look at the sorry state IndyCar was in 10 years ago. Except for the 500 and Long Beach, which were on ABC, the vast majority of races were be behind a pay wall. The viewing figures were dismal and as a series it was going nowhere. This year, 9 races out of a 17 race season are FTA.

I don't think anyone has suggested any of the ideas mentioned in the How to Fix F1 thread, would be helped by more and new viewers, because more and new viewers don't address those issues. However, better overtaking, closer racing, is going to be a factor in attracting more and new viewers but if it's all behind a pay wall, you're limiting yourself to how many viewers you can attract.

Indeed, back to the race weekend. Looking forward to Quali tomorrow, as it will be my first glimpse of the new cars on track.
Old 26 Mar 2021, 22:18 (Ref:4043183)   #37
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Red Bull pace seems not to be a flash in the pan. Pérez was happier on the long run than on the short so far, as befits someone who is not a driver who you always see represent his race pace on the clock on Friday. I remain intrigued about the extent to which Mercedes do have a tricky car on their hands or how much is potential pace they just need more time to unlock, having had only 3 days of testing.

New drivers at teams, such as Ricciardo and Alonso were off the pace of their team-mates, but again, maybe they just need bedding in (and it’s Friday). As Aysedasi said, I also think Norris will do a very good job anyway.

Tsunoda was pretty eye-catching today.

Yes, Aysedasi, Leclerc makes some mistakes, but I think he’s really, really quick. Ferrari have two good ones this year. The jury is massively out on them, still. They look neither terrible nor particularly good.

Far too early to speculate much, but it’s irresistible.

Well done to Schumacher on beating Latifi. I found him more inspiring to pick for my fantasy F1 team than the Williams driver. More exciting to cheer for even if that Haas looks concerningly like it’s rooted to the back of the grid.
Old 27 Mar 2021, 02:13 (Ref:4043196)   #38
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Without the viewers, you don't attract the advertisers and sponsors, which a money hungry sport like F1 needs. You just have to look at the sorry state IndyCar was in 10 years ago. Except for the 500 and Long Beach, which were on ABC, the vast majority of races were be behind a pay wall. The viewing figures were dismal and as a series it was going nowhere. This year, 9 races out of a 17 race season are FTA.

I don't think anyone has suggested any of the ideas mentioned in the How to Fix F1 thread, would be helped by more and new viewers, because more and new viewers don't address those issues. However, better overtaking, closer racing, is going to be a factor in attracting more and new viewers but if it's all behind a pay wall, you're limiting yourself to how many viewers you can attract.
I know this is the race thread, but I can't help but to reply.

I totally agree that viewers is the lifeblood of the sport. If nobody watched, nobody would advertise, no advertisements no budgets, no budgets no racing. While I might be "nice" to preserve it as a niche experience for us old folks. It would shrivel up and die.

My son became interested in the sport because of free social media. For him it is "free to view" because I pay the bill for the access. Which frankly I get as part of a larger package. If I had to pay extra above and beyond what I pay now... (and this will sound odd given I am generally pretty active here) I probably would drift away from the sport.

Lastly, I agree that removing the paywall doesn't solve things. It has to be entertaining. But it would be sad if they fixed (improved) the entertainment side and nobody new bothered to watch because they had other options that were effectively free to them.

Richard
Old 27 Mar 2021, 09:15 (Ref:4043212)   #39
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And don't discount viewers that came from watching other series that start watching F1.

I began watching touring cars then started watching Formula One (1985 Dutch GP)
Old 27 Mar 2021, 09:22 (Ref:4043215)   #40
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If I can just add to what Richard has just said above, but the dilemma is not just attracting new viewers to watch F1, but it should be critical for Liberty to retain their old viewers. Unfortunately, due to the deals that both Mr BE and they have signed off on, they have achieved that, and as a consequence they are haemorrhaging at a rapid rate their past audience.

I did write an identical email to Mr E, FOM, FIA, GPDA, the Teams' representatives and Autosport when The Sky monopoly was announced some years ago to point out that they would be alienating their loyal base by going behind a paywall, and it is most telling that not one of them had the courtesy of even acknowledging receipt of the email. It is as if they had secretly decided that they would ignore any negative response from the public.
Old 27 Mar 2021, 10:00 (Ref:4043218)   #41
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So after the first day looks like Merc have got a fight on their hand in RBR. However we mustn't get too carried away. How many times have we seen a team or driver be on top in FP, then flatter to deceive when it matters in quali.

Checo is a bit down, hopefully he can pick up a bit of pace by qualifying
Old 27 Mar 2021, 10:58 (Ref:4043229)   #42
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Its worth noting that something like 90mil (a massive number for motorsports) was the average number of viewers per race and it can costs as little as 2-3 dollars per month for their base tier of the stand alone streaming service so hardly a prohibitively expensive pay wall.

And if that doesnt work, you can easily watch or download every race for free on the internet.

Anyways, ham will probably get pole and win the race so no need to pay for anything.
Old 27 Mar 2021, 11:06 (Ref:4043231)   #43
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Anyways, ham will probably get pole and win the race so no need to pay for anything.
Isnt that the problem with F1, Ham is an F1 specialist, other than karting he hasn't raced in anything else
Old 27 Mar 2021, 11:08 (Ref:4043233)   #44
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
He used to race remote controlled boats.
Old 27 Mar 2021, 11:13 (Ref:4043234)   #45
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDB2s View Post
Isnt that the problem with F1, Ham is an F1 specialist, other than karting he hasn't raced in anything else
Yes - the problem with F1 is that it is full of people who specialise in that discipline. It would be much better if it was full of part-timers whose main skill/expertise lay elsewhere.....

Notwithstanding the fact that Hamilton's route from karting included:

Formula Renault UK Winter Series
Formula Renault UK
Formula Renault 2000 Eurocup
British Formula 3 Championship
Formula Renault 2000 Masters
Formula Renault 2000 Germany
Korea Super Prix
Macau Grand Prix
Formula 3 Euro Series
Bahrain Superprix
Masters of Formula 3
GP2 Series
Old 27 Mar 2021, 12:25 (Ref:4043245)   #46
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Yes - the problem with F1 is that it is full of people who specialise in that discipline. It would be much better if it was full of part-timers whose main skill/expertise lay elsewhere.....

Formula Renault UK
Korea Super Prix
Macau Grand Prix
Formula 3 Euro Series
Bahrain Superprix
Masters of Formula 3
GP2 Series
Old 27 Mar 2021, 13:39 (Ref:4043269)   #47
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
6/10ths......

So if Max destroys everyone this year, will his fans keep saying its all about the car?

I mean fairs, fair right? It’s the only reason hamilton has destroyed the field for the last few years apparently...
Old 27 Mar 2021, 14:16 (Ref:4043273)   #48
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Formula Renault UK
Korea Super Prix
Macau Grand Prix
Formula 3 Euro Series
Bahrain Superprix
Masters of Formula 3
GP2 Series
So all single seaters then.
Fangio, Clark, Moss, Schumacher and a lot of other drivers drove sports cars at the highest level, some drove on ovals in the US, some drove rally cars & were almost as good as the regulars, Rossi drove a Ferrari F1 & was almost as good as the regular pilots, Senna did a test in a Sierra in Wales & was nearly as quick as the regular pilot so when is Hamilton going to race in other disciplines.
Old 27 Mar 2021, 14:17 (Ref:4043274)   #49
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Fangio, Clark, Moss, Schumacher and a lot of other drivers drove sports cars at the highest level, some drove on ovals in the US, some drove rally cars & were almost as good as the regulars, Rossi drove a Ferrari F1 & was almost as good as the regular pilots, Senna did a test in a Sierra in Wales & was nearly as quick as the regular pilot so when is Hamilton going to race in other disciplines.
Why would he want or need to? For what purpose?

He’s tested superbikes and MotoGP....
Old 27 Mar 2021, 14:44 (Ref:4043279)   #50
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
being close is one thing, being within that final tentenths is another.

maybe they would have had more wins had they just focused on one format?

by way of analogy, is Usain Bolt's consideration for 100m GOAT diminished because he didn't also run marathons?

but for sure there should be a distinction between GOAT driver vs GOAT F1 driver.