Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Dec 2000, 17:28 (Ref:51746)   #1
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
with kimi raikkonen racing f1 in 01, how is murray walker going to differentiate (is that a word) between mika hakkinen, tommi makkinen and kimi raikkonen - the old turd has no chance, give it up murray, let martin brundle and johnny herbert take over!
Old 9 Dec 2000, 17:33 (Ref:51748)   #2
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes it is a word. However, tommi makinnen is a rally driver so he shouldn't have too many problems.

I do, though, think that Walker is past his sale-by-date making constant mistakes. My main beef is his blatant bias towards TGF and Ferrari which makes him almost insufferable, and I just have to mute him sometimes.
Old 9 Dec 2000, 18:09 (Ref:51762)   #3
Valentinik
Rookie

Valentinik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm inclined to agree. I thought the best race commentary from last season was the French GP when James Allen replaced Murray while he recovered from his injury. I dont think there was a single other race last year when Eddie Jordan and Eddie Irvine weren't mixed up. Please Murray retire before it gets really embarrasing.
Old 9 Dec 2000, 20:12 (Ref:51771)   #4
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!

His blatant bias towards TGF and Ferrari??? I haven't noticed this...I spotted the blatant bias towards Button though...
Old 9 Dec 2000, 21:11 (Ref:51779)   #5
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
robert2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But how can anyone not like Jenson? (excluding Jarno Trulli of course)
Old 9 Dec 2000, 21:25 (Ref:51781)   #6
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
the old turd has no chance
Theres no need for that we all know he makes a lot of mistakes, the real race fans know exactly when he has so whats the problem.
Martin Brundle is not perfect he also made quite a few mistakes last season.
I think they play well off each other MW passion for the sport can not be equalled and he passes this passion on to the viewers.
Two ex drivers commentating would be very very dull.
Old 9 Dec 2000, 22:37 (Ref:51791)   #7
Rabbit
Rookie

Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well yeah he makes mistakes, but to me hes as much a part of Formula 1 as almost anyone else, being that the only way I get to see the races is at 12 in the morning on Channel one, and hes good for a laugh, some of my fav quotes are..

"He's obviously gone in for a wheel change. I say obviously because I can't see it"

"With half the race gone, there is half the race still to go"

"Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough?"

"It's raining and the track is wet"

Old 10 Dec 2000, 02:46 (Ref:51811)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good on yer, Rabbit. That's my sentiment exactly.

Murray provides by far the most entertaining commentary on television. Indeed, only Ian Titchmarsh comes close in any motorsport commentary, and unless you're at trackside, you'll only ever have heard him on Radio Le Mans.

Martin's good - very good, but he's not perfect. And I for one found the James Allen race rather less than fault-free, and frankly not as entertaining as the norm.

The one criticism I will concede over Murray's recent commentary has been the Button stance, but seeing as John Button is a frequent studio guest, Louise always finds time for Jenson in the pits for a post-race synopsis, and Jim n' Tony are hardly backward in their admiration, may I suggest that it's an ITV team thing, rather than a Murray idiosyncracy.

Trust me, we're all going to find that there's something missing when Murray hangs up his microphone. May it be many years from now. In the meantime, I am still trying to increase my collection of Murray broadcasts. Anyone got any BBC 1980s Formula 3 still on tape...???!!!
Old 10 Dec 2000, 04:03 (Ref:51824)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to have a boyfriend who was really cute but inclined to say dumb things like "You can't go both ways in the same direction" - one of the charms about him was never knowing what mangled proverb he would come out with next. Murray is the same way ... his reference at Monaco 1998 to Damon's "Yellow Ferrari"; his shouts of "Michael Schumacher is in the pits!" when the legend under the photo very clearly said "Eddie Irvine" ... Murray played best against James Hunt, and I think he'd really go well with Damon Hill as "colour man" rather than Brundle. But of course what I'd like to see someday is Jacques in the commentary box. Whatever he said, he wouldn't mince words!

Yes, Murray is a dotty old fellow, but F1 will be even more boring than it is now, without him.
Old 10 Dec 2000, 22:18 (Ref:51891)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
On one stage, Murray used to annoy me because he screams a lot. However, I always appreciated his funnier side, and I really cannot understand how anyone can take him seriously. He used to rave about Damon, and now it is Bunsen. He does appreciate good driving, and there is no doubt that he thinks TGF is the best driver out there. More importantly, he keeps me awake, because most of the GP's are shown very late at night in Oz, and apart from Murray, the only other thing that is exciting is when there is a foul up in the pits. I will miss Murray when he conks out. Until then, I will enjoy his Murrayisms.
Old 11 Dec 2000, 01:42 (Ref:51907)   #11
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Maybe it's about time Walker finally heads for the retirement home. Last season, he ****ed me off big time by spending the entire weekend kissing Button's ass. I dont know if Murray has a thing going with Button or the ButtonS - but if he doesent shut up this time around - I would seriously thing about tuning into French commentary!
Would I understand it..no! But it's better than listening to senile button butt kisser!
Old 11 Dec 2000, 07:39 (Ref:51917)   #12
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK... My stance on Murray has been greatly fashioned by the driver’s I support. Al though I am a brit I have never really liked a British driver above all other in the field. Murray got the job because his father was the commentator before him.

I love his enthusiasm but his bias makes for a bitter pill. I do not like the “Buttonist banter” or the Pro-Schumacher stance. It is very irritating to say the least. At least Hunt kept him in check! I believe Brundle has too much respect for Murray, at least Hunt would tell him to shut up / take the ****! I do like Murray but he is getting out of hand and it is not the mistakes I disapprove of.

I also think that Brundle did and possibly still harbours many issues about Senna. OK from his point of view he ran him close in F3 but after that Senna destroyed Brundle. I believe that because of this he has always implied that Schumacher is better than Senna. (Not a chance!) I do not like the way that Brundle bashes the driver’s for errors, Ok some deserve criticism but other do not. Brundle can be one to talk as he has not had the most glittering of career.

Anyway, I used to enjoy Watson's Eurosport commentary but he was a lot more technical than others. It was a lot more even handed too.

As for Murray's future, there is little chance of him being de-throned. My prediction for the future is that if Button ever gets into a World Championship winning position ITV had better retire him. The excitement could be lethal for Murray. I have always imagined him having a heart attack “on air,” God forbid!
Old 11 Dec 2000, 09:17 (Ref:51921)   #13
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps people didn't notice last time, but I'll say it again - why is Murray Walker the only ITV employee accused of Button bias when...

Three times last year, from memory, John Button (Jenson's father) was an invited studio guest with Jim Rosenthal and Tony Jardine. Is is really Murray's pernicious influence on a weak and feeble studio team, or maybe, just maybe, the enthusiasm for Button within ITV is because they know he's good for ratings?

Every race meeting, Louise Goodman makes the time to go to the Williams pit garage, to talk to Jenson about how he did, and Jenson can put on those silly radio headphones and talk to Louise (or Jim, or Tony) and explain how he gained points/fell off/shoved Jarno Trulli/chatted up the grid girl/whatever that weekend.

Once again, in an anodyne F1 world like today's, ITV know how to maximise their not inconsiderable investment in Grand Prix coverage. There's a young, eligible, unusually fast driver on the grid this year, and he's British. Of course they're going to take every opportunity to promote him. If plugging the new British hotshoe boosts the British TV ratings, they're going to do it, aren't they? It's good business.

And of course Murray is going to have to toe the line. Even casting aside the fact that Jenson Button actually does achieve quite a lot on track that's worth commentating upon.

So can we please desist with the accusation that Murray's references to Jenson are a clinching proof of encroaching senility.
Old 11 Dec 2000, 09:29 (Ref:51922)   #14
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
To be honest Tris, every time Murray starts counting the red lights before the start, I swear he is going to suffer a stroke. I don't even remember Murray extolling the wonders of Bunsen or Damon - I had already conditioned myself to let that stuff not penetrate at all. I just wait for his gaffs and have a laugh. It is really no good taking Murray seriously - anyone who does is just plain silly, because Murray is silly. BUT he is entertaining with his gaffs, even if his screaming is rather annoying. You could replace him with James Allen, and I wouldn't mind, as long as Martin remembers to drop a couple of Murrays alomg the way just for laughs. Ms Louise Goodman is the one who thoroughly annoys me simply because I cannot understand a word she says - it is so muffled. We really need someone like that ex bike rider fellow who commentates here - forget his name but I will remember it tomorrow (that Yalumba shiraz has this effect on me).....Barry Shean, that's the guy!! He is really good, and well respected.
Old 11 Dec 2000, 09:41 (Ref:51924)   #15
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
It is really no good taking Murray seriously - anyone who does is just plain silly, because Murray is silly.
I take Murray very seriously, actually. So I guess that makes me plain silly. But from you, Valve Bounce old chum, I can take it!!!!

Something Tris said about Murray, which might be of interest. Although Graham Walker, the BBC commentator, was Murray's dad, that wasn't actually how Murray got the gig. In fact, he had just retired from motorcycle racing, and was looking around for something else to do. He was offered a chance at the microphone for the trackside commentary at a hillclimb - I forget if it was Prescott or Shelsley Walsh - and he noticed that the head of BBC sports programming was in the crowd that day.

So he delivered the whole afternoon's commentary in a BBC-style presentation, in the hope of getting noticed.

And get noticed he did. He got a trial at the British Grand Prix, when regular commentator John Bolster was actually entered for the race. That was 1948. And the rest, as they say, is history.
Old 11 Dec 2000, 15:25 (Ref:51953)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Unless you've suffered the flat boredom of many less knowledgably commentators, or you've listened to a language you don't understand, you won't appreciate what a great loss Murray's retirement will bring to British TV.

I've had the pleasure of speaking with him on numerous occaisions and he's always been charming, and suportive of the team around him. He knows he's the star but he has never let that get to him. I missed him for most of '98, '99 and 2000. Now I will probably miss his swansong.

Finally. Let's at least give the man some respect.

Old 12 Dec 2000, 01:55 (Ref:52029)   #17
kev
Rookie

kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biased?
But TGF IS the best driver out there.
Murray should be congratulated for his honesty, as he clearly favours the Brittish drivers (not just Button).