Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 May 2022, 10:21 (Ref:4109729)   #701
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Some info here John about this September.... doesnt look too good from a ticket pov with Sold Out appearing a lot. (That could just be that particular ticket outlet)

https://www.onsite-events.com/angouleme.html

also here: https://www.circuitdesremparts.com/en/
It seems the grandstands are all sold but general entry & paddock is OK, which is probably what we want anyway.
Old 12 May 2022, 10:53 (Ref:4109730)   #702
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
It seems the grandstands are all sold but general entry & paddock is OK, which is probably what we want anyway.
Obviously a popular meeting for grandstands to be sold out pretty much 5 months ahead of the event. My curiosity on a meeting I know next to nothing about is piqued so time to do a bit of research.

I did find an amateur video on youtube of the 2019 event and certainly from that its packed with onlookers and qa good entry of some very varied machinery for all tastes there as well.
Looks like a very pleasant way to spend some time. Link follows:

https://youtu.be/gLapvqeHHbU
Old 12 May 2022, 11:39 (Ref:4109733)   #703
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Obviously a popular meeting for grandstands to be sold out pretty much 5 months ahead of the event. My curiosity on a meeting I know next to nothing about is piqued so time to do a bit of research.

I did find an amateur video on youtube of the 2019 event and certainly from that its packed with onlookers and qa good entry of some very varied machinery for all tastes there as well.
Looks like a very pleasant way to spend some time. Link follows:

https://youtu.be/gLapvqeHHbU
Yes, I did find an amateur video on YouTube back around Christmas when the idea first arose - I was looking for something to show our friends, who having just completed the house purchase, were completely unaware of any motorsport activity!

As you say, it does look to be an interesting event & certainly a bit different. With Chantilly the following weekend & then Spa 6H a week or two later it will be quite an interesting & varied month!
Old 12 May 2022, 11:56 (Ref:4109734)   #704
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went with Delta a few years ago - probably about 10 years ago thinking about it.

Great event. Not too easy to make a lot of progress around the circuit on race day when we were there - it's a bit like Monaco but with less access and the place was only fully closed off for one day so no real efforts to afford pedestrians opportunities to move about.

Lots of qualifying and racing to fit in so mass spectator movement is unlikely to be encouraged.

That's probably why the grandstand tickets sell - and there are not really that many of them.

The Paddocked seemed to be the boules playing area in the central park of the old town. Probably the most dog friendly paddock I have ever seen.

Cracking event and the Historic Road Rally they seem to hold on the Saturday had produced some very interesting older French cars not usually found elsewhere. (Though more likely you would see them when living in France!)

Highly recommended especially if you have access to local accommodation.
Old 12 May 2022, 12:29 (Ref:4109738)   #705
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I went with Delta a few years ago - probably about 10 years ago thinking about it.

Great event. Not too easy to make a lot of progress around the circuit on race day when we were there - it's a bit like Monaco but with less access and the place was only fully closed off for one day so no real efforts to afford pedestrians opportunities to move about.

Lots of qualifying and racing to fit in so mass spectator movement is unlikely to be encouraged.

That's probably why the grandstand tickets sell - and there are not really that many of them.

The Paddocked seemed to be the boules playing area in the central park of the old town. Probably the most dog friendly paddock I have ever seen.

Cracking event and the Historic Road Rally they seem to hold on the Saturday had produced some very interesting older French cars not usually found elsewhere. (Though more likely you would see them when living in France!)

Highly recommended especially if you have access to local accommodation.
That's great, thank you. From the map on their website the paddock looks to be close to where we will be staying, so that'll be useful.

I've never been to a street race of any sort, so I am really looking forward to it
Old 12 May 2022, 12:30 (Ref:4109741)   #706
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That's great you don't have to travel far to get to the action. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 12 May 2022, 13:49 (Ref:4109750)   #707
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
John you can expect a wonderful place and a nice mix of races and demo grids. Not really Monaco or Pau, slightly different, je dirais moins "guindé".
Old 12 May 2022, 13:57 (Ref:4109751)   #708
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And of course you are in the Charentes region where Pinot Des Charente is produced.
Old 12 May 2022, 14:08 (Ref:4109752)   #709
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
And of course you are in the Charentes region where Pinot Des Charente is produced.
I will refer you to Michele - she's the wine expert!
Old 12 May 2022, 16:21 (Ref:4109757)   #710
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Happy days GP. Do remember the Grand Stand eruption of laughter when I shouted that the podium parade car driver had lost the keys. I am still laughing now.
Old 12 May 2022, 18:19 (Ref:4109762)   #711
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
This one is good Delta, where else can it happen than in France?
Old 12 May 2022, 19:14 (Ref:4109764)   #712
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's just the best. Bring some back for me please.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 12 May 2022, 21:27 (Ref:4109772)   #713
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, I believe that this is another YT of the "circuit": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXl6qyBHQxQ
Old 13 May 2022, 00:54 (Ref:4109780)   #714
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
John, most has been said above, especially by GrantP. There are only 2 or 3 small temporary scaffolding-type grandstands which sell out very early. But the paddock is free access IIRC and if not you should easily find a friendly competitor with a couple of spare tickets.
Some racers seem a bit intimidated by the proximity of solid walls and armco but once that is overcome it's an absolute hoot in a small chuckable car like an MG Midget. There's loads of vids on youtube to choose from but here is my qualifying session from the 2016 event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10jpO8LfAI0
Old 13 May 2022, 07:33 (Ref:4109796)   #715
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[Pedantry] It's actually Pineau des Charentes [/Pedantry]
Old 13 May 2022, 07:42 (Ref:4109798)   #716
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
[Delta]pinot des charente[/delta]
Old 13 May 2022, 08:23 (Ref:4109800)   #717
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good Peter!
Old 13 May 2022, 08:26 (Ref:4109801)   #718
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Old 13 May 2022, 08:42 (Ref:4109802)   #719
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So did anyone see Vettel's appearance on Question Time last night. I didn't see it, but have just read about it and he puts across many good points
Old 13 May 2022, 12:39 (Ref:4109812)   #720
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
"Le pineau des Charentes est un mélange audacieux de jus de raisin et d'eau-de-vie de cognac" sic. Not really a wine as you can understand it but more likely a kind of sirup for apéritif.

In Charentes, you'll find a typical beverage made mixing Schweppes tonic and a good cognac (6 Schweppes for 2 cognac rations) on an ice bed. Very tasty but tricky when the weather is hot. If you go for it when seated prepare yourself to look for your legs after two or more glasses! Dont even think abour riding your bicycle after either.

Of course, after watching the excellent Dave vid, you'll remember the famous "dont drink and drive", you may hit a bump and spill your drink! Cheers Gents.
Old 13 May 2022, 12:42 (Ref:4109813)   #721
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Et parce que en France nous aimons discuter autour d'un bon verre, you all are right, you can have Pineau and Pinot. La preuve sort du pudding les copains:
On ne compte pas moins de 26 variétés de cépages, des plus emblématiques tels le Merlot, le Cabernet, le Sauvignon et le Chardonnay aux plus confidentiels comme le Pinot, le Gamay, le Chauché Gris et le Colombard. Une belle palette de nuances qui confèrent aux vins leur diversité.
Old 13 May 2022, 13:07 (Ref:4109815)   #722
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Of course you are correct Gerard, but to be fair we have sherry which is a similar type of beverage, usually served when the vicar comes to tea.
Old 13 May 2022, 14:06 (Ref:4109823)   #723
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Of course you are correct Gerard, but to be fair we have sherry which is a similar type of beverage, usually served when the vicar comes to tea.
It must be my age Peter but on reading this I instantly had visions of Brian Rix in a Ray Clooney farce standing in front of the vicar with his trousers around his ankles!
Old 13 May 2022, 14:19 (Ref:4109824)   #724
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed the first problem with drinking sherry.
Old 13 May 2022, 14:56 (Ref:4109825)   #725
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Peter, you remind me one night at home with friends, after few hours I had only one remaining bottle and it was Amaretto. One guest just said it was for old ladies only but was OK because always better than Coke or water! Guess what, this guy showed that an old lady can be tough!
Closed Thread