Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Mar 2003, 15:49 (Ref:524566)   #1
ZXKawboy
Rookie

ZXKawboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mad max in the JML Panoz...

Well, folks, Panoz's chance at a *really good* overall finish at Sebring just shot up a couple of notches yesterday.

It was announced that Max Papis will drive for the JML Panoz "semi-factory" team at this years 12 hour enduro.

With Papis at the wheel, I think we're going to see some really exciting things coming out of the race. Anyone who can control a Champ car the way he was capable deserves a look.

Any thoughts?
Old 4 Mar 2003, 16:02 (Ref:524577)   #2
ZXKawboy
Rookie

*beats head on wall*...

Whoops. My mistake folks. Papis will be driving for JML at Mexico and Le Mans, not at Sebring.

I'm going to go learn to read again. *commences banging head on wall again*
Old 4 Mar 2003, 16:11 (Ref:524582)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"Mad Max" is a hard-charger with a ton of talent...

But Brabham and Magnussen have tons of talent, too...they carried the Panoz on their backs the past couple of years.

the driver can only carry the equipment so far with superior driving skills and daring moves....Max may end up very frustrated this June...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 4 Mar 2003, 16:58 (Ref:524603)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure Max will do well -- he has always been very good in sports cars -- but I hope he manages to avoid opening his mouth and opining that "Sports cars need me more than I need them" or Don Panoz will invite him out the door that he showed Boris Said.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 20:39 (Ref:524812)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
What does strike me is how perilously late JML are leaving their driver selection. Sebring looms large, and so far we have Beretta/Jeanette/Papis, and, er... no-one. No hurry, lads, but pick a goddamn' driver!
Old 4 Mar 2003, 21:23 (Ref:524864)   #6
NGS
Rookie

NGS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see Max has a ride, but I miss the old lineup already.

Nigel Graham Schlemming
Old 4 Mar 2003, 22:00 (Ref:524909)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Yes, but Brabs and Magnussen were worthy of more. Either deserves/deserved a CART seat, and Magnussen will be fantastic if he gets the fulltime JMR seat this season.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 23:21 (Ref:525034)   #8
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
Sean Crockett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Yes, but Brabs and Magnussen were worthy of more.
Doubt if DB is too bothered now, as he's probably got his best shot ever at winning the big one.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 23:30 (Ref:525042)   #9
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You said it Tim, he's gonna hate it. He probably can turn some fast laps in the Roadster, but it would take years before any driver could be a deciding factor in that car.

I've said that the Panoz is now just grid filler. Then you stick a fan favorite, like Papis, in the car and people look at it. Dash cunning there, Dr. Don. I love that guy! Keeping the sportscar world booming!

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 5 Mar 2003, 19:27 (Ref:525954)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Panoz needs drivers, I'll suggest a few....

Alex Barron (he has helmet in hand and no ride anywhere -- why I do not know) for a season-long seat....

For Sebring:

Old 5 Mar 2003, 19:30 (Ref:525957)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Sorry-hit the tab button...

For Sebring:

Scott Sharp (No IRL that weekend -- he's fast!)
Helio Castroneves (who lives in Miami - No IRL)
Eddie Cheever (a "Rumored for Le Mans" on Lists)

Pick 2 of the three with Alex and that team would at least drive the wheels off the other Panoz that weekend...

Old 5 Mar 2003, 20:20 (Ref:525992)   #12
ZXKawboy
Rookie

Good picks, Tim.

Cheever's got Le Mans experience, Sharp's been to Daytona a few times and proven *very* fast a consistent, and Castroneves has been a threat every time he ever got into a Champ car. (I don't know about his IRL results...don't care to watch the series)
Old 5 Mar 2003, 20:52 (Ref:526005)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ZXK, you had it right the first time - Sebring, Mexico, and Le Mans. (See www.maxpapis.com for the announcement)

If what I'm hearing is correct, the drivers for the second car have been chosen. I know who one is (but can't say), which suggests to me that the picks listed above aren't in play.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 5 Mar 2003, 21:29 (Ref:526043)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Those were just a few "Maybe take a look at" guys, but only Alex Barron would be open for driving multiple races (except for Eddie C. after Indy, but he's plenty busy as an IRL car owner to be jumping around on driving stints) and Alex is the only one free at this time on Le Mans weekend...

Any single player on that list stands a snowball's chance in Hell of becoming a reality on anybody's team, but all four would sure give the fans their money's worth, and their competition something to either worry about in their mirrors or follow around the track...depending on how good their equipment would be...

Old 5 Mar 2003, 21:37 (Ref:526050)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All i remember about Max is when he spun at the entry to Bridge corner at Silverstone in the Arrows a few years ago, right infront of me.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 21:53 (Ref:526073)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Those were just a few "Maybe take a look at" guys...
Yeah, they had a longer list off the top of their heads over at the IMSA forum - but it, too, listed many drivers who deserve a ride somewhere, but aren't in the picture as I understand it.

Hope an announcement comes soon!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 5 Mar 2003, 21:55 (Ref:526075)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I wonder why Don Panoz dropped Bill Auberlen. Bill had proved his worth as a factory BMW driver - great flip, BTW - and now finds himself in the Speed World Challenge with PTG! I grant you that these days an M3 is about as quick as a Panoz, but still...
Old 5 Mar 2003, 22:49 (Ref:526107)   #18
Chevyguy
Racer

The Roadster didn't complement Auberlen. In fact, he was down right slow. It just reinforces my point that it takes years to be able to drive effectively in the Roadster. That's why Brabs and Mags made it work.

Old 6 Mar 2003, 14:45 (Ref:526633)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Since we're talking former Panoz drivers...

Bryan Herta was announced as a pilot for the Nasamax LMP 900..

The "Green Machine" Reynard with the enthanol-cosworth power....

NOTE: I'm assuming Panoz used the same reasoning for releasing Herta and Auberlen as they did for Magnussen and Brabham...

They said last fall that they would not have a "Factory effort" and did not want these guys to be tied into something they were not going to spend time developing this season when they could get rides elsewhere

Old 7 Mar 2003, 00:12 (Ref:527163)   #20
Chevyguy
Racer

Maybe they released those guys because they refused to drive an out of date car.

Old 7 Mar 2003, 18:08 (Ref:527965)   #21
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the reason was probably more $$$ than anything else.

Hopefully Mad Max will come to grips with the Roadster quickly. Gunnar already has good pace in the car. It will be nice to see him actually racing! He was so fast at Le Mans last year...
Old 7 Mar 2003, 19:21 (Ref:528028)   #22
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
the driver can only carry the equipment so far with superior driving skills and daring moves....Max may end up very frustrated this June...
I distinctly remember when Mad Max became "Mad Max" driving a car that was falling apart and driving the wheels off it. He set fastest time of the race I believe
Old 7 Mar 2003, 21:32 (Ref:528122)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
No argument here that he has the skills to carry a car beyond its capabilities.....

How far can he carry that Panoz chassis that will seem to have little, if any new development as a privateer program...and when they were a "Factory Car" they never met the hype and expectations set for them...

I will say this....when he's fdriving, the fans will get their money's worth...he's definitely fast...

Old 7 Mar 2003, 21:36 (Ref:528125)   #24
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
and Magnussen will be fantastic if he gets the fulltime JMR seat this season.
Unfortunately there is no fulltime ride for JMR.

Seems as though they will do Sebring and LeMans, and then determine IF they will do anything further after that.