Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 6 Sep 2005, 09:18 (Ref:1400148)   #1
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British GP - Travel & Transport

Ok i want to book a ticket but i have no means of reaching the circuit because you need 4 people per car to qualify for a parking space! Anyone living near Aylesbury have the same problem, if so maybe we can make a deal so we can get a car park ticket?
Old 6 Sep 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1400245)   #2
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the last 2 years I've parked at the circuit with a pass and there's only been me and my bro in the car. Has something changed for next year?
Old 6 Sep 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1400364)   #3
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
One car park pass can be purchased per two-four admission tickets bought, at the discretion of Silverstone and are subject to availability. If only one Grand Prix ticket is purchased, the FREE Park & Ride facility or one of the alternative options must be used.

Hence my problem. I come from buckingham direction. Would i be able to be dropped off close to the circuit and my 'taxi' be able to turn round and get home again without it being a major headache? What is traffic like at 8/9am on race day?
Old 6 Sep 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1400375)   #4
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found a sneeky way in this year round the backlanes of Buckingham and just drove straight in...absolutely no cue whatsoever.

So I take it your going on your own? If so then no you won't get a parking pass but as I say if there is two or more of you then I'd expect you'll get a parking pass no probs as Ive never had trouble. If not just keep an eye out on ebay, always someone flogging one on there and it'll prob work out cheaper than your taxi!
Old 6 Sep 2005, 12:38 (Ref:1400378)   #5
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Yes i will be going by myself, unless i can arrange something with somebody out there. Thing is I dont really want to commit to buying my ticket then find i have no guaranteed way of getting there come the time. I do have a possible chance of getting a lift with a Club Silverstone member, reckon i can sneak in with them without a problem?!
Old 6 Sep 2005, 16:16 (Ref:1400501)   #6
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drove straight into the car park at 4:45am this year without anybody being on the gate to check my pass.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1400515)   #7
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would have thought you could walk it from Buckingham? Back in the 60s when our coach used to go via Buckingham it would have been quicker to walk! And what is wrong with the park & ride? And is'nt it a bit to soon to worry as no dates for next years GPs have been confirmed.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1400579)   #8
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Buckingham isn't far at all...only 10/15 mins by car isn't it, so walking it should be no problem. And you'll get the satisfaction of waving at everyone as you walk past and they're stuck in queues
Old 7 Sep 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1401204)   #9
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Sorry i actually live in Aylesbury but would be going through buckingham on the journey there and up through stowe.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1401283)   #10
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly off the point, I don't know what to make of the Bronze plus idea - on the one hand it allows those who pay that bit more to not have to worry about queing up so early to get the prime slots, but at the same time reduces the amount of general admission space. Even though Becketts and club are among the best places on the whole circuit, there are not really that many other good alternatives when they fill up. I know from working at the GP that a large proportion of the paying (vast amounts) public get a really poor view of the track action, and many first times are incredulous at the amount of tickets sold for such a small area. I felt very sorry for a number of foreign spectators I spoke to who must have payed a fortune to see nothing. I know full well this happens at other GP's, but that dont make it right.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 16:58 (Ref:1401543)   #11
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've never had my carpass checked before....however, in the small print this year it says that cars parked not displayiing a valid pass will be clamped and fined.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 18:23 (Ref:1401611)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
Sorry i actually live in Aylesbury but would be going through buckingham on the journey there and up through stowe.
To be fair I don't know Buckingham that well, but is there the possibility of driving there and walking it? Or else maybe you should take the park and ride? Hassle I know, but if you can't do the car pass...
Old 7 Sep 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1401751)   #13
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
4 people per car? How long have they been doing that!? or is it just an F1 thing? What are you supposed to do if you bring a 2-seater!?

I was at FIA GT back in May and nobody cared less that there were just 2 of us in a car, so I'm presuming it's just for the F1...?
Old 7 Sep 2005, 22:08 (Ref:1401754)   #14
Suze
Veteran

England
I think it's 2-4 people per car from what I read earlier...
Old 7 Sep 2005, 22:09 (Ref:1401755)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if you don't get a car pass you get a park and ride allocation. buckingham is about 10miles from the track. it's a walk, but quite an unpleasent one i'd imagine.

the website should have details of the park and ride locations.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 07:52 (Ref:1401966)   #16
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
so I'm presuming it's just for the F1...?
You would be right.They would be lucky to get 1% of the GP day crowd for anything else that they run.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 07:45 (Ref:1402586)   #17
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, this screams scam to be honest.

They do something differernt with the Grandprix parking plans every year. But in practise it always works out the same. This is nothing more than a couple of stuffed shirts who sit at desks all day trying to be clever.

Things were absolutely perfect for 2005. So why go and ruin it all by trying to be clever for 2006. When something is going well, the trick to keep it going well is to keep it the same, not to change it.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1413822)   #18
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brief heads up that Grandprix.com are talking of it moving to the first half of June although the current date would still work with the US GP date of July 2
Old 22 Sep 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1413889)   #19
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah the joys of living so close that you can see the back of the grandstands and on GP day it takes but 15-20 minutes to walk to the BRDC Clubhouse across the fields. Crikey I should be bulldozing the house and outbuildings, laying tarmac on the site and ripping people off for parking. Seriously though I am sure you will be able to find a group of people with whom to hitch a ride into the circuit. Or get as close as you possibly can where there might be public parking unrelated to Silverstone (a National Trust site for example!) and push-bike it in. Another angle might be to consider making a proper weekend of it and camping at Whittlebury. It is a short hop across the fields and you can drink to your heart's content. Failing that the park and ride system is acceptable from what I hear.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1414271)   #20
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you could always take up marshalling and get in for free, with free camping or car parking and the best views.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1443952)   #21
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
June 11
Old 9 Jan 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1497828)   #22
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
British GP - Travel advice

Hi everyone, im finally going to the GP this year and as i live only 45mins away i will be travelling to and from the track all 3 days. Can any of you guys give me an indication of what traffic volumes are like each day? How long can i expect to be queuing up to get in?

Any help, tips would be great!
Old 9 Jan 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1497989)   #23
martin_f1
Rookie

martin_f1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you got a grandstand or a general admission ticket? If it is a general admission ticket the queueing for raceday started at the end of the action on Saturday! Our group started queueing at 4 am on Sunday morning at the Club corner entrance and got a decent spot at Stowe.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 22:49 (Ref:1498191)   #24
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
I have a seat for the terraced seating at farm.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1499923)   #25
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
pforrester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to Silverstone each of the last two years and found the traffic to be fine. On Fridays and Saturdays I tended to get to the circuit between 7 and 8am, and I practically drove straight in. Judging by the reports coming over the radio the situation didn't seem to get much worse during the morning, though obviously I can't say for certain. I usually left between 4 and 5pm, and though there was a bit of a queue immediately outside the circuit, once all the traffic hit the A43 everything went pretty well.

I used the park and ride on Sunday each time and travelled in between 5 and 6am, and again everything seemed to flow reasonably smoothly. This is only based on my personal experience, but I hope it's useful. Have a great time!