Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Oct 2001, 03:15 (Ref:159499)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Skaife's steering wheel

what an impressive piece of kit that is.

just shows how much money HRT are pouring into their cars ...these things seem rather silly to me..as they dont really improve the cars performance and surely it is not that hard to have a glance down at the dashboard for 1 second..but hey if it was that easy i would be out doing it myself wouldnt I ?

anyway anyone know what kind of things are shown on the wheel?
I guess lap times and split times and the like ..can he access ten tenths on there i wonder ?

and what does it cost?

the LCD dash I believe costs around $20 000 (but I could be wrong on that) and add that to this steering wheel ..certainly raises the costs again doenst it

and what do you think of the introduction of things like this ?
Old 12 Oct 2001, 03:48 (Ref:159504)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some people just have too much money to spend...

It would just be the standard Motec screen (HRT have a Pi something or rather, not sure if it dash or engine management system), but it can be explained at: http://www.motec.com.au/dash.htm
Old 12 Oct 2001, 05:26 (Ref:159513)   #3
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the steering wheel Lowndes and Crompton were using at Bathurst with the top 1/4 cut off ?

How long do you reckon it will be before we see in car footage of somebody grabbing for a peice of steering wheel that isn't there ?

Old 12 Oct 2001, 06:18 (Ref:159519)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sort of bringing in the Wakeifld Park thread at this point- I'd like to see them do a 3 point turn blind folded
Old 12 Oct 2001, 13:58 (Ref:159641)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I think they have put this on the steering wheel to just how bored they are getting. Damn, this year it is going to be their 5 championship win in six years, this isn't racing it's a damn joke. Seeing that the current V8 technology was mastered sometime in the early 1970's I guess steering wheels are the next best thing that they can try to improve.
Old 12 Oct 2001, 14:51 (Ref:159667)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot
What about the steering wheel Lowndes and Crompton were using at Bathurst with the top 1/4 cut off ?

How long do you reckon it will be before we see in car footage of somebody grabbing for a peice of steering wheel that isn't there ?

Not long at all I think Buckshot..wasnt Crompton doing it during the telecast

anyway yeh I reckon it could be a problem if someone gets all out of shape..but in this day and age you only need your hands in the traditional 9 oclock , 3 oclock position becasue the cars really turn well and dont have or need a great deal of lock
Old 13 Oct 2001, 10:52 (Ref:160024)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm actually surprised we didn't see steering wheels like Skaife's earlier, they are nothing new, especially to TWR. In 1999, the TWR Volvo's in the BTCC had similiar stuff on the steering wheel, probably the info has been passed on from one TWR team to another, but do Bright, Kelly and Murphy have the same wheel's.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 00:40 (Ref:160292)   #8
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought this a step backwards, not forwards as the only time you could really read any info... would be on a straight like Conrod anyway. Purely there for the w@nk factor i reckon

Last edited by Alan Jones; 14 Oct 2001 at 00:41.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 03:51 (Ref:162344)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wholeheartedly agree with AJ here, he's spot on. Pure W@nk.

D.R.T. You really have no idea what on earth you are talking about. I thought we'd explained to you some time ago, but here goes again. The following technology is common to V8 Supercars and does NOT come from the early '70s, much later of course.
Macpherson struts, rear disc brakes, cambered live axles, disc rotors the size of a pizza dish, electronic engine management systems, shock dynos, 6 way adjustable dampers, carbon composites, aerodynamics which actually produce downforce, 6 speed gearboxes with straight cut gears, slide throttle mechanisms, structural cages, Pi dash systems, cabin adjustable sway bars etc.

You obviously don't like V8 Supercars and that's OK, it's a free country, but don't pretend they're old fashioned or low tech. They're simply not!
Old 18 Oct 2001, 13:32 (Ref:162475)   #10
redback
Racer

redback should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must admit that I haven't seen the wheel from Skaife's car but these wheels are becoming more and more popular because you can put all sorts of functions at the drivers finger tips e.g. pit lane speed limiter. This means that the driver can concentrate more and not have to take their hands off the wheel to flick switches and press buttons. Also the different seating positions sometimes make the dash awkward to see for different drivers another problem fixed by the wheel dash. Check out http://www.piresearch.com under club products. It would be funny if it was a PI system because Ford owns PI.

Last edited by redback; 18 Oct 2001 at 13:33.
Old 19 Oct 2001, 12:46 (Ref:162885)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I exagerated a little, but don't you all. V8 Supercars are not cutting edge technology and they were never meant to be, if you believe that well your as gullable as they come. V8 Supercars are not breaking the barriers on new technology. The category was designed to be close affordable racing. In some areas they have failed.
Old 19 Oct 2001, 23:42 (Ref:163121)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Redback- fairly certain it is- there was a big think piece on the subject in a recent MRA, and it pointed out that the HRT use something that is developed by pi, I'll have to dig it up, but I think it was the dash.

D.R.T.- You didn't do yourself any favours by saying that
Old 19 Oct 2001, 23:57 (Ref:163127)   #13
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys, forgive me if i'm wrong but can't the drivers scroll thru screens with a button on steering wheel anyway?

Still can't see a real advantage in Skaife's new setup apart from one upmanship

Last edited by Alan Jones; 19 Oct 2001 at 23:58.
Old 20 Oct 2001, 00:20 (Ref:163132)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Yep, that's right. The teams can set up the different data screens in any format that like. Say some drivers like to see road speed on their dash, while others would prefer oil pressure etc etc... Generally the only time they would scroll throuhg the pages would be if the car ****s itself, and the driver is trying to diagnose the problem. Also if one of the items registers a reading that is out side of the set parameters set by the team (for instance if there is low oil pressure, overheating, low voltage, low fuel) a warning light will trip, drawing the drivers' attention to the dash. Often there might be a glitch in the system that will trip the system off, and the team can generally over ride this because of their live telemetry stream back in the pits. If this happens, the driver can hit a reset button to start the system over again.

I think HRT would have only done it if the drivers found it a bit easier to read... something that helps the driver operate, can only be adventageous. I'm sure that they wouldn't do it if there was no advantage, and I'm also sure that most of the other teams will be trying out their's, and Gibson's set up very shortly..