Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 May 2022, 11:58 (Ref:4109052)   #201
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I noticed on some youtube footage that the majority of SRO GT3 guys were pushing beyond the kerbs out of Paddock. Lot of sand kicked up and high risk!
I only watched there for the last 15 minutes of race two but was surprised how aggressive they were all being through there. Really cool to watch though.

As others have already said, Brands may not be great for passing, but the spectator experience is in a different league to Silverstone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands99 View Post
Watched the second race from the exit of Druids and have to say Marciello was in a completely different class ....... his positioning of the car going down the hill was so precise for lap after lap and he was absolutely 'on it' every lap - fully deserved the victory.
Missed this comment when I was catching up with the thread last night but fully agree: was a superb drive in race two, didn't put a wheel wrong the whole race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands99 View Post
Great to see these cars at close quarters rather than miles away behind so much fencing.
All in all, had a good couple of days with a great atmosphere
Without meaning to sound like a broken record (because I have said it here several times before!) it is a real shame that the spectator experience isn't quite what is was on the GP loop (especially round by Westfield), but at least Hawthorns is still good and the inside of Druids is always fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK
Aside from Touring cars, I cannot remember the last time I saw the South Bank full of cars. It certainly wasn't during this century!
Last time I did BSB (which was probably 4 or 5 years ago) it was pretty packed there and, as you say, BTCC tends to fill South Bank, but that was unusually busy for "another" event.

Wished I'd have done Saturday now, as I am sure I could have got to a few more photo spots on that day!
Old 10 May 2022, 07:51 (Ref:4109503)   #202
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forgive the double post, but a few snaps from Brands...

...and a few more here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...77720298797316

If anyone is interested!
Old 10 May 2022, 20:07 (Ref:4109607)   #203
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
..and here's more than a few snaps from Brands :

https://bit.ly/3MiWWv3

Enjoy!
Old 14 May 2022, 22:17 (Ref:4110005)   #204
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Never thought id say this but thank god for Ferrari. Getting really bored of Audi v Mercedes.
Old 15 May 2022, 13:55 (Ref:4110074)   #205
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mercedes
Audi
Mercedes
Audi
Ferrari
Audi
Audi
Audi
Audi

Marciello & Boguslavskiy dominate race 2 again, 15 seconds ahead of P2.
Old 16 May 2022, 08:48 (Ref:4110169)   #206
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another absolute masterclass from Marciello - stunning drive!
Old 16 May 2022, 23:10 (Ref:4110302)   #207
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's his 9th win in the "Sprint" series, 2nd all-time behind Dries Vanthoor (10 wins)....

Leads the Championship Standings now with Timur Boguslavskiy...
Old 4 Jun 2022, 17:21 (Ref:4112842)   #208
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Nobody knows, but there's a race going on at Paul Ricard
Old 4 Jun 2022, 17:54 (Ref:4112844)   #209
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
19:48:01 Race Control TEAM MANAGERS CARS 10,11,12, 25,26, 30,31,32,33,66,99 TO RACE CONTROL

They will be given permission to run Michelin tires?
(or Falken, Hankook or whatever ... just anything else than the junk they're currently on)
Old 4 Jun 2022, 17:59 (Ref:4112845)   #210
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Wow!

WRT have lollypop and pitstop board in different colors!
Who'd have thought that!
Old 4 Jun 2022, 18:07 (Ref:4112846)   #211
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Mandatory Valentino Rossi interview coming up...
Old 4 Jun 2022, 18:20 (Ref:4112847)   #212
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Rossi did well today imo, was running consistently for two stints, no mistakes, not far off the pace of the top guys.
Old 4 Jun 2022, 18:39 (Ref:4112850)   #213
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
I don't know, it's just all that attention that they put on him that annoys me.
Old 4 Jun 2022, 18:42 (Ref:4112851)   #214
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
No front lights on 87.
No rears either.
Old 4 Jun 2022, 18:53 (Ref:4112853)   #215
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
ALL the cars in the field have a black number on a white numberplate.

All, except 1, that is.

Why that exception?
Old 4 Jun 2022, 19:17 (Ref:4112856)   #216
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
We're veering rather close to "Why are you still watching?" territory here.

I'm going to assume there's some sincerity to your questions/statement. In order...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Wow!

WRT have lollypop and pitstop board in different colors!
Who'd have thought that!
This was rather trite to anyone with a cursory familiarity with sportscars. However, many people watching won't have that prior knowledge, because they haven't watched sportscars before, because they're only here to watch Rossi. Hence the filler during what was otherwise a neutralised race, that would have been informative to a non-negligible number of viewers. It didn't result in any loss of broadcasted action on-track.

Quote:
Mandatory Valentino Rossi interview coming up...
Quote:
I don't know, it's just all that attention that they put on him that annoys me.
They're making the most of their most valuable asset. Need I remind you of the way Alonso's time in the WEC was handled, by both the organisers and the media? This won't change for the rest of the season; Rossi isn't so green that he's stinking up each race, but he's not so quick as to merit the attention on merit. Again, for a lot of people watching, Rossi is who they want to see and then hear from. Hopefully, they'll learn to want the same from the 150+ other drivers on offer. But realistically, that's not going to happen.

Quote:
ALL the cars in the field have a black number on a white numberplate.

All, except 1, that is.

Why that exception?
Because, for all his perceived and actual foibles, Ratel knows how to get eyeballs on his races, and he/the other leads at SRO felt it was a concession worth making. I would actually be interested in hearing what internal opposition there might have been to this (particularly on safety grounds), but ultimately it's SRO's regulations, and they can choose to not follow them/grant exceptional dispensations* as they wish. Would they have done it for anyone else? No, of course not. But nobody is going to stop you breaking the rules when you make them.

*Delete as appropriate.

I'm not saying the focus on Rossi isn't grating - it is - but it isn't changing anytime soon. GTWC powered by VR46: take it or leave it.

Last edited by J Jay; 4 Jun 2022 at 19:24.
Old 4 Jun 2022, 19:33 (Ref:4112864)   #217
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
I have nothing against Rossi per sé but all the attention towards him, and the stupid exceptions like that number board DO annoy me.

It annoys me just as much as all the attention on Jimmie Johnson in Indycar.

Things like that just almost make me wish his car to be out of contention ASAP, so I can enjoy the rest of the race without that distraction.

I just see this as my favorite soccer/football club spending a relative fortune to get a big-name onboard who turns out to be no better than what we already have and no better than the unknown player they bring in to finally replace him.
Old 4 Jun 2022, 20:15 (Ref:4112867)   #218
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Things like that just almost make me wish his car to be out of contention ASAP, so I can enjoy the rest of the race without that distraction.
Then I sincerely would recommend checking out until Rossi moves on. Mind, this will only be repeated when he inevitably steps into prototypes. Rossi is, to my mind, the biggest draw from outside sportscars I can think of. Wherever he goes, he's going to be milked for all it's worth.

Quote:
I just see this as my favorite soccer/football club spending a relative fortune to get a big-name onboard who turns out to be no better than what we already have and no better than the unknown player they bring in to finally replace him.
As a Manchester United fan, I can relate to this with the force of a thousand suns. But, Rossi isn't there to light up the timing sheets, and, let's be honest, he isn't there for any spectators, fans of his or not. As long as he isn't stinking up each race (which he genuinely isn't - he's been 5.5/10 so far) he's there to gain experience of endurance racing for his own desires, and whichever series he chooses to race in is happy to oblige as long as he does more of their PR for them.

Edit - Let's stop moaning about Rossi and moan about a Vanthoor throwing his car's race away with an ill-advised move, like clockwork.

Edit edit - Which makes the lead Audi ... #46! You couldn't make it up

Last edited by J Jay; 4 Jun 2022 at 20:21.
Old 4 Jun 2022, 20:40 (Ref:4112875)   #219
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Wherever he goes, he's going to be milked for all it's worth.
That makes me just dislike him more.

Quote:
moan about a Vanthoor throwing his car's race away with an ill-advised move, like clockwork.
They're good at it, aren't they?
Second to none... ?
Old 4 Jun 2022, 21:05 (Ref:4112890)   #220
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
Another puncture. It's almost as if running on a track with abrasive tarmac for run-off, which encourages teams to run to the extremes of their suspension setup, isn't a great idea.
Old 4 Jun 2022, 22:33 (Ref:4112908)   #221
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
There needs to be some kind of website that does a car by car update on what happened to them during the race. I have so many questions about so many cars but the information is hard/not possible to find. Have to say im again surprised by the attrition rate, so many cars retired.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 12:42 (Ref:4112981)   #222
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
Quote:
Second to none... ?
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Vanthoor, The Wise? I thought not. It’s not a story the organisers would tell you. It’s a GT3 legend. Darth Vanthoor was a Dark Lord of GT3, so powerful and so wise he could use the sportscar to influence the result of the race… He had such a knowledge of the sportscar that he could even keep the ones he cared about from retiring. The dark side of the sportscar is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful… the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his brother everything he knew, then his brother retired him in his stint. Ironic. He could save others from retirement, but not himself.
Old 8 Jun 2022, 13:06 (Ref:4113536)   #223
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
They're making the most of their most valuable asset..... Again, for a lot of people watching, Rossi is who they want to see and then hear from. Hopefully, they'll learn to want the same from the 150+ other drivers on offer. But realistically, that's not going to happen.

I'm not saying the focus on Rossi isn't grating - it is - but it isn't changing anytime soon. GTWC powered by VR46: take it or leave it.
This was very noticeable whilst watching at Brands Hatch - there were a lot of people there that clearly weren't sportscar fans (or even any sort of car racing fan) - they were there purely because Rossi was there. Some of them (maybe even most of them) won't bother with any other car events - but there were certainly some that seemed to be having an epiphany and were looking at coming back for more car events off the back of watching the GTs. From a promoter and circuit perspective that's a win and justifies the constant pushing of Rossi in front of the camera.
Old 8 Jun 2022, 14:36 (Ref:4113559)   #224
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I understand why they do it with Rossi but they are also doing it with Chris Froggatt all be it to a lesser extent, whats with that? SKY are backing him too?

BTW its not going to be long before some of the Youtube streamer/gamers get into higher level racing and then things will never be the same again. Its all about social media numbers. Like it or not.
Old 9 Jun 2022, 19:20 (Ref:4113842)   #225
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
In hindsight I was talking nonsense, sorry about that.

On Chris Froggatt from what I found it seems SKY decided to back him because he’s not taken a “traditional” route to motorsport. No problem with it, it’s a good thing because we get British GT & GTWC on Sky F1 but I was just curious because it seemed somewhat weird they’d sponsor a PRO AM car.

Do you really think WRT will ditch Audi? Would they pull out of GT & focus on a customer hypercar program with someone like Lamborghini or Cadillac? I guess a crazy suggestion could be that they switch to Lamborghini in GTWC & run a customer hypercar team.