Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 9 May 2022, 00:37 (Ref:4109309)   #2701
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well done Graham... What a difference a month can make. Not long ago you were down in the dumps having invested time and money, trying to get it to run cleanly..... now you have rekindled the "Lola love", are excited about the season, having a ball, and reaping the rewards. What Motorsport should be like.
Old 9 May 2022, 06:49 (Ref:4109335)   #2702
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for those words, all so true!
It is all like the British weather!!

Tough journey this one, but the whole car has been like this since purchase of the rolling chassis in May 2008,
14 years of the car....

The threads about this engine build have struck home with many as was evident this last weekend, so many questions, so many stories, but all good natured.
Even met 2 off this very forum.

Big clean-down to the car today to check over everything ready for my favorite hill, Loton Park.
We have a good spot in the paddock, and if we get some sun, the Deer Park is a fabulous place to be.

Will have the good company of the TVR driver Mike Luck who will be my main rival for the glass pot on my mantle piece.

Very fast car that TVR and Mike has considerable motorsport experience....

Old 9 May 2022, 11:46 (Ref:4109381)   #2703
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Graham. Was it a PB?
Old 9 May 2022, 14:29 (Ref:4109415)   #2704
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Really pleased for you; it seems like only a few months (but might have been a couple of years) that you were even talking of selling it. Let's hope the TVR needs more than luck to beat you ;-)
Old 9 May 2022, 14:54 (Ref:4109426)   #2705
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The TVR man has a glint to his eye, just as I did (some years ago)!

Not a PB, my PB of 31.58 was set in 2018 when the car got fresh slicks.
31.80 is not so far off esp as I'm 4 years older and have more pains than I did then....

Old 14 May 2022, 15:16 (Ref:4109897)   #2706
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Gerard commentating at Loton Park this afternoon ?
Old 14 May 2022, 17:07 (Ref:4109918)   #2707
911thillclimber
Veteran

Is he American?
If so, yes, and doing a great job. The mix of USA speak and UK speak is really good!

Just the TVR and me this weekend, 3 practice runs each, and set some good times.

Lola best: 56.47 and a 2.0 something start, TVR 58.61

However, rain forecast for tonight, am tomorrow, or even pm tomorrow, in which case i'm doomed. We shall see.

Car ran great and the more revvy engine is paying off!

PB set 4 years ago, 55.35 secs.

https://youtu.be/Z6xxzirTfyg?t=7383

Last edited by 911thillclimber; 14 May 2022 at 17:25.
Old 15 May 2022, 17:06 (Ref:4110102)   #2708
911thillclimber
Veteran

Sunday, and race day. And wet...
Slippy and tentative practice run in the morning after the Church Service down in the village, then to the timed runs.
A win would give me 4 points each time, so 8 points to be taken.

The Championship organizer, Bill Pardoe, told me to quit moaning and just drive the car!
So, being obedient, I did.

Won both runs!
run 1: 2.11 start and a finish time of 57.06 with an iffy track surface
run 2: 2.00sec start and a time of 55.36.

That is just 1/100 sec off my PB, so well chuffed.

Car was simply ace, sounds fab, corners and stops 2 x fab, and even the driver was nearly on the case.
No trophy, but 8 points.

Great weekend of Club motorsport.

Going to miss the next Shelsley, but back to Loton on the 11/12 June.

What an engine!
Old 16 May 2022, 07:32 (Ref:4110157)   #2709
spd(john)
Rookie

Wales
spd(john) should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see you have your enthusiasm back, managed to watch the live stream on Sunday, it defo has more grunt, you must be well chuffed with the end result of your winter of discontent. lol. Sadly health issues are still keeping me away, but hope to get out later this year.
Old 16 May 2022, 14:18 (Ref:4110226)   #2710
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Glad you're enjoying competing again and I look forward, as always, to you sharing more of how you get on. All that hard work has been worth it so far, so you probably feel very relieved atm

Hope you get better soon John
Old 16 May 2022, 14:45 (Ref:4110232)   #2711
911thillclimber
Veteran

Yes, hope to see you soon John in the Midlands again.

Yes, the engine is a peach and has re-invigorated the car and the driver!
Old 16 May 2022, 17:16 (Ref:4110249)   #2712
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
Sunday, and race day. And wet...

The Championship organizer, Bill Pardoe, told me to quit moaning and just drive the car!
So, being obedient, I did.
!
Hahahaha, we have a race awning motto: JFDI - Just (Flippin') Drive It

In other words, no prima Donna egos

Seriously. So well done, both on the background work that's got you to this position and the pedalling that's won the day.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 16 May 2022, 21:25 (Ref:4110297)   #2713
911thillclimber
Veteran

Yep, got some MoJo and confidence back in the blood, just hope I can keep ahead of the TVR.
We shall see, but a good start and already 1/3 into the Championship.

Oil change next week to flush the particles out and all should be good. No oil leaks on the engine!

I wanted an engine that could tolerate 8000 rpm, and looks like it is there and co-incident to this thread reaching the dizzy heights of 800,000 hits.
Old 17 May 2022, 13:59 (Ref:4110368)   #2714
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Glad that you've got that confidence back. Just hope the car can remain competitive. You know you can do it, so that's a fillet. If you avoid any major mechanical problems, that will help, so it's good that the engine is top notch. Glad all the hard work and preparation is beginning to pay off
Old 9 Jun 2022, 14:52 (Ref:4113743)   #2715
911thillclimber
Veteran

Haven't seen the official standings updated, but I think the TVR having done last weeks Shelsley is now very close to me....

Anyway, a good holiday in the Channel Islands (first time back after 40 years) and a new neck problem alongside all the other 'I'm now 70' aliments leaves me dependent on 4 paracetamols a day which kills off a lot of pain.

However, did an oil change on the Lola, it has now done about 20 mins running and the rolling roads, so, good and warm to mix all the wear particles into the oil and dropped the lot. No nasty surprises, opened the filter too, all good.

Fresh oil and filter and runs well.

Loton Park this weekend, could have live stream running on the Sunday.
Just the TVR and I in the class (there were 5 runners at Shelsley), will be close!

Fun day the next Saturday when Porsche's take over Prescott hillclimb for the day, 3 in the class, but all for fun.

Just over 1/2 way through the season already.
Old 9 Jun 2022, 14:59 (Ref:4113748)   #2716
911thillclimber
Veteran

https://www.race-redmedia.co.uk/uplo...2-011_orig.jpg
Old 11 Jun 2022, 15:44 (Ref:4114311)   #2717
911thillclimber
Veteran

Saturday and practice day for us.

Big gap in the paddock next to me as the TVR has scratched from the weekend, so I'm all alone in the class....
Great weather, warm @ 18 deg C and bit windy (nice and cool to the cockpit) and for our runs, no rain.

Car ran great, have to say, really well. The engine continues to sing along with an induction roar to die for.

Mind you, I think it's doing 4 mpg.

But, 3 runs today, dropped out of the 4th offered shoulder etc hurting too much.
3 starts at 2.04 secs!
Everyone one felt different yet gave the same time.

Runs went 56.68, 56.25 and 55.62, my pb is 55.35.

Looking at the break-down of the times, I won/lost time all over the place, but still improved bit by bit.

All I have to do is run twice tomorrow and reach the finish to get a max point score of 4 points which opens my lead in the Class with the TVR nicely.

Never in my 30 years of doing the Midland Championship has points become such a goal! Wife not too impressed....

Old 11 Jun 2022, 16:47 (Ref:4114352)   #2718
911thillclimber
Veteran

Just a snip off the Live Feed today, give Martin in the Riot a few secs to get out of the way!!

https://youtu.be/vUrJCPLgqX0?t=3089
Old 11 Jun 2022, 20:50 (Ref:4114582)   #2719
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Graham, the car sounds lovely as well as really crisp, if you know what I mean.
Old 12 Jun 2022, 17:06 (Ref:4115196)   #2720
911thillclimber
Veteran

Thank you Mike, sounds so good from my 'piolt' position too!
Love it.

Sunday, and 3 runs, practice, and the 2 timed runs. Just me in the class so I would win with a 1 hour time or 50 odd seconds, so not much motivation, but certainly relaxed!
To get the 4 points I needed to finish twice, not too hard?

Practice and away we went and got a PB! Not by much, but 55.24/2.04 start time. That will nice very nicely.

Went downhill for the 2 runs....

1st race was 56.35/2.04 and 95mph at the quickest part of the hill.

96 was 10 mph more than my normal entry speed which was busy when i got there! Brakes, change from 3rd to 2nd and turn.

However, 3rd to 2nd became 3rd to 4th so came out of the bend nearly on tick over. Snap change to 2nd and got going again, cost me dearly, just over 1 second.
Second race run was worst in some ways as I fluffed 2 gear shifts but got a cracker of a start at 1.98, over 1 G of acceleration.

Oh well, car in one piece, driver in one piece, ego dented.

All in all a very nice meeting.

Prescott next for a fun day with the Porsche boys en mass.

https://youtu.be/7vfCHEKrL8A?t=3431

Last edited by 911thillclimber; 12 Jun 2022 at 17:20.
Old 12 Jun 2022, 22:02 (Ref:4115262)   #2721
S griffin
Veteran

Glad it’s all going well and all that hard work is continuing to pay off. Enjoyed that video, was good fun to watch. Certainly yours is quite exciting to watch. Hope you continue to do well. And Prescott is one of the best hillclimbs ever
Old 16 Jun 2022, 08:34 (Ref:4115856)   #2722
911thillclimber
Veteran

Reluctantly, we will not run at Prescott's Porsche special event on Saturday.

Will still go to watch having paid for everything and nothing redeemable, so will spectate, a job I'm not good at...
Will take the old 911 and park up with the other shiny Porsches!

Shoulders and arms hurt too much, a legacy of the strains of the engine build and the fight to get out of the car.

Next Championship meeting is Prescott 23/24 July, so good summer time to heal a bit (I certainly hope).

Having never had upper body problems ever in my 70 years, this sure is frustrating!

Grumpy to say the least, wife keeping her distance.
Old 14 Jul 2022, 16:53 (Ref:4119532)   #2723
911thillclimber
Veteran

Finally, after what feels to me to be a life time, we are getting ready to hillclimb again in the Lola.

A one day Clubbie at Prescott on the 23 July and we are in a class of 22!
Looks like the organisers had a pool of awkward cars for the day and tipped us all in the same pot.
Anyway, it will be a good day to get things 'lubricated' for the Sunday, a one day full Championship day, again at Prescott.

The class is more normal with the EVOMini, the TVR and the huge Pilbeam along with a 7 litre Holden VE Commodore which will be about the same size as Prescott itself...

My skeleton is not much better, but the frozen right shoulder is getting more supple, the kneck is getting better too, but the stiff back thathas happened is a worry, but we shall see.

HAVE to win over the TVR to keep my chances of the Championship class win alive at the end of the year.
Missing Shelsley cost me dearly in the points.

Weather looks ok, warm (not hot) and dry.

It will have been 6 weeks since the car last run, but have to admit doing things/places in the other cars has been very relaxing....
Old 15 Jul 2022, 18:41 (Ref:4119610)   #2724
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Have fun, glad to hear you're back! Rev it!!
Old 23 Jul 2022, 17:59 (Ref:4120265)   #2725
911thillclimber
Veteran

Saturday race day at Prescott and a prelude to the one-day Championship meeting tomorrow, bit of a fun day, a day to get back into the seat after a 6 week lay-off.
Went well!
We were in a a class of 'all comers racing cars', and what a mixed bunch of 22 cars we were...
My class mate next to me was a sand racer from Jersey, all 400 Cu inches of it, 600 bhp and 580 Lbft, so 2 x everything I currently have. Possibly 2 x the weight too!

He did a blistering 43 second run, stunning.
We were not too lost though beating him and a few others on handicap, but, more importantly wa a Personal Best by a good slice.
Previous best was 46.29, but took this down to 45.49 with a nice 2.09 sec start time.

That will do!

Hope to do the same tomorrow and keep that pesky TVR at bay.