Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 22 Jan 2021, 14:30 (Ref:4030675)   #1
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Audi R10 (or other LMP or GT) cassette type gearbox

I've been watching some videos on YouTube about the 2006 24 Hours of Le Mans (which I also watched live) and they did a gear cluster change on the #8 Audi in about 8 minutes (a bit longer if you add the normal servicing they did to the car). I had also read in a Car and Driver article on the R10 from earlier in 2006 that the R10 used a cassette type gearbox to combat the ACO's restrictions on quick change rear ends like what the R8 used.

Of course, I'm wondering how a cassette type assembly works, and namely, how one would work that doesn't require removal of the gearbox casing from the car. I know that on other cars the gearbox casing would have to be removed to access the transmission/diff gear clusters. But on the R10, they were able to change those parts with the gearbox in situ and still attached to the car.

And are there other examples of this on more recent LMP or GT cars?
Old 3 Feb 2021, 23:12 (Ref:4033339)   #2
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cassette boxes have been commonplace on racing bikes for decades, it simply means on those, you can remove the cluster without having to remove a gearbox, or in a small capacity class like 125 or 250, the entire engine as on bikes the engine and box are like a Mini, all one unit.
Old 4 Feb 2021, 16:09 (Ref:4033475)   #3
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hello Mr Chernaudi.

For once i can be a help to this forum.

A cassette type gearbox just means that the internals of the gearbox are one unit and can be removed from the gearbox casing without having to remove the gearbox from the car. Ideal for ratio changes and gearbox issues.

You end up with something like this.

I think most prototypes, single seaters and GT cars use this approach now because you cant change the gearbox casing in most series but most series will allow you to change the internals. Infact, im sure we saw this a couple of times in last weekends Daytona 24 hours.
Old 7 Feb 2021, 00:43 (Ref:4033786)   #4
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder how they did this on the R10 for example, since it has the differential behind the transmission section of the transaxle?
Old 17 Feb 2021, 23:04 (Ref:4035631)   #5
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I wonder how they did this on the R10 for example, since it has the differential behind the transmission section of the transaxle?
I havent seen the car in question but you could have the cassette come out the side of the gearbox housing.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tony C; 17 Feb 2021 at 23:11.
Old 21 Feb 2021, 19:32 (Ref:4036222)   #6
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
That works fine on a transverse gearbox, but the R10 (as far as I know) used a longitudinal gearbox with the diff behind the transmission assembly.

Would what you pointed out work on such a longitudinal gearbox?
Old 22 Feb 2021, 02:17 (Ref:4036253)   #7
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Got this one answered on the Mulsanne's Corner Facebook page. The R10's gearbox in a lot of ways was the predecessor to the current XTrac P1011 Indy Car gearbox.

In this photo, the dark colored panel is where the transmission internals and maybe the differential are accessed from.