Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Mar 2019, 10:56 (Ref:3892692)   #1176
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
According to Metro this morning the ‘war cabinet’ bunker(s) below the Houses of Parliament are being readied for next week. Suggestion is that they will be used as a command post for all the riot troops (in case of looting) and other forces controlling ports.

Or is it more likely they are a place for MPs to hide after all the threats they’ve been receiving?

Gerard, I sympathise with your situation! Although the current state of the UK is pretty dire, touch wood we don’t have the violent protests affecting your country.

Edit- the bunker is underneath the Ministry of Defence HQ. Ready for ‘Operation Redfold’, apparently......

Last edited by Mike Bell; 22 Mar 2019 at 11:15.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 11:22 (Ref:3892698)   #1177
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Gerard, I sympathise with your situation! Although the current state of the UK is pretty dire, touch wood we don’t have the violent protests affecting your country.

That's because they've only just ratcheted up to "mildly agitated" We don't get to "tea spilled" for another ten stops.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 11:49 (Ref:3892700)   #1178
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
That's because they've only just ratcheted up to "mildly agitated" We don't get to "tea spilled" for another ten stops.
heaven forbid we reach spilled tea state.....

Some positive from last night- those racing at Ricard or Barca will be home before April 12th.......
Old 22 Mar 2019, 11:52 (Ref:3892702)   #1179
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't forget that we won't need a visa to travel to the EU but we will need a passport with 6 months or more validity. See https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds for details.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 12:12 (Ref:3892709)   #1180
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Don't forget that we won't need a visa to travel to the EU but we will need a passport with 6 months or more validity. See https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds for details.
Luckily they’ve been hammering that message home in all the ‘travel tips’ issued. Same as rest of the world?

Must go- President of France just about to speak.....
Old 22 Mar 2019, 13:42 (Ref:3892731)   #1181
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got my car insurance renewal , & it still has the ," This certificate of Motor insurance takes the place of an International Green Card " , on it along with the translations into various languages .

So perhaps that is one less problem for driving abroad .
Old 22 Mar 2019, 16:32 (Ref:3892765)   #1182
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Just got my car insurance renewal , & it still has the ," This certificate of Motor insurance takes the place of an International Green Card " , on it along with the translations into various languages .

So perhaps that is one less problem for driving abroad .

I think a green card may still 'be on the cards' if no deal. This is a helpful website on how Brexit could affect insurance...

https://u-k-insurance.co.uk/eugreencard.html
Old 22 Mar 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3892769)   #1183
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Strange that you'll need at least 6 months on a passport for the EU when before we were in the EU you could travel on a one year passport and I may have been dreaming but I seem to remember you could get a day travel passport for France up until the late seventies
Old 22 Mar 2019, 16:50 (Ref:3892770)   #1184
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It's Schengen rules.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 16:58 (Ref:3892773)   #1185
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
It's Schengen rules.
Who is this Schengen guy and all his rules? He’s got a lot to answer for.....
Old 22 Mar 2019, 17:21 (Ref:3892775)   #1186
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ISTR that when I went on my French exchange trip (1976) I had a card passport issued at the Post Office. It lasted one year I think.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 22 Mar 2019, 17:29 (Ref:3892777)   #1187
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed when intent to West Germany in 1967 I had the same.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 17:54 (Ref:3892778)   #1188
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You lot were late starters. I certainly had my own full passport by 1950, as that December I was dispatched as an unaccompanied minor to live in Norway for the winter.

That flight was from RAF Northolt where BEA were based whilst Heathrow was under construction to become London Airport. And the flight was in a Dakota 3, a noisy and bumpy ride.

The first time that I travelled from Heathrow, the terminal building was still not completed, and check-in formalities were conducted a marquee on a very muddy patch, with a duck-board pathway. Very primitive.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 18:20 (Ref:3892787)   #1189
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
One piece of post brexit advice from the FBHVC regards travelling in the EU in a UK MOT exempt classic. (Same as tax exempt- 40 yrs old)

They’re worried that our ‘Roadworthiness Testing Directive’ may not be recognised by the EU, and are recommending that owners intending to cross the channel have their cherished bolide MOT’d even if not required here.

Makes sense, even though I’m not sure why they think the RTD will not be accepted.....
Old 22 Mar 2019, 19:11 (Ref:3892808)   #1190
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
One piece of post brexit advice from the FBHVC regards travelling in the EU in a UK MOT exempt classic. (Same as tax exempt- 40 yrs old)

They’re worried that our ‘Roadworthiness Testing Directive’ may not be recognised by the EU, and are recommending that owners intending to cross the channel have their cherished bolide MOT’d even if not required here.

Makes sense, even though I’m not sure why they think the RTD will not be accepted.....
Even more strange as we only have the 40 year MOT rule to bring us in line with the EU
Old 22 Mar 2019, 20:50 (Ref:3892824)   #1191
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or maybeaube the FBHVC doesn't understand either...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Mar 2019, 05:35 (Ref:3892881)   #1192
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Or maybeaube the FBHVC doesn't understand either...
It's almost a 'we need to be involved' moment!

I see the petition to revoke Article 50 is now almost 4 million signatures.....
Old 23 Mar 2019, 06:10 (Ref:3892883)   #1193
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Even more strange as we only have the 40 year MOT rule to bring us in line with the EU
Stranger than that we are many to ask for our contrôle technique to accept kit cars if they comply with the rules instead of having them officially homologated which is more than a hassle it became almost impossible over the years.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 11:13 (Ref:3893038)   #1194
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It's almost a 'we need to be involved' moment!

I see the petition to revoke Article 50 is now almost 4 million signatures.....

It seems to be very well co-ordinated from a few locations. Probably about as reliable as postal voting or re-electing leaders in some other parts of the world where they always seem to have 90% voting for them.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 11:42 (Ref:3893039)   #1195
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Are you suggesting that there is mischief afoot?

One other useful item many of us travel with is the E111 (EHIC) card that gives equal free medical treatment whilst in the EU. Presume unless an agreement included with all the other stuff that we will lose this......
Old 24 Mar 2019, 11:47 (Ref:3893042)   #1196
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I always travel with separate insurance anyway.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 12:03 (Ref:3893043)   #1197
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I always travel with separate insurance anyway.
I don’t...
Old 24 Mar 2019, 12:28 (Ref:3893047)   #1198
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
I don’t...
You should
Old 24 Mar 2019, 12:43 (Ref:3893049)   #1199
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It's worth it since if there is a problem and it costs more than the UK contribute, the cost comes back to you.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 13:25 (Ref:3893057)   #1200
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
It seems to be very well co-ordinated from a few locations. Probably about as reliable as postal voting or re-electing leaders in some other parts of the world where they always seem to have 90% voting for them.
Apparently , both Jeremy Corbyn & the Hackney Hippo have both signed nearly 20,000 times each ?????????