Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Jun 2014, 05:28 (Ref:3417962)   #51
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I assume you checked the coil ......
That and everything else- many times!

Great Pics thank you, BG76! Despite the amount of time we were hiding in the garage you got some of Gilbert as well....
Old 10 Jun 2014, 05:32 (Ref:3417964)   #52
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May I express my sincere appreciation of everyone involved in making the meeting such a success, which is especially due to the absolutely brilliant teamwork by all the marshals around the circuit and by the MSV staff and MSV Snetterton circuit recovery teams with the superb recovery and circuit maintenance work. Thanks Mark, James and team for all your hard work with this.

This allowed the team in Race Control to keep the turnarounds to an absolute minimum between sessions. Indeed the repairs to the barrier on Senna during what was already a very tight lunch break was a massive help to the HSCC team to allow us to achieve a full programme during the Sunday afternoon, in addition to the very quick recovery and barrier repairs carried out on a live track, under the Safety Car during the 3hr race on Saturday. The trackside support on Friday evening was also greatly appreciated.

Also a really big thank you to Steve and Russell manning the Safety Car, superb job guys - great to work with you as always -same time next year please?

Thank you to all the team in Race Control - Dawn, Peter, Andrew, Nigel and Sam and all the HSCC team in Race Admin for an excellent job keeping it all running so smoothly.

To the competitors - apologies for not seeing as many of you (in a social manner, that is) as I would have wished, it was quite a full on job in RC keeping us to all to timetable however the actual racing throughout the weekend was absolutely brilliant with excellent driving standards during the whole event.

The weekend finished off with a full grid of Historic Formula Fords who had one of the most competitive races I have seen since the days when the cars were new - 1st & 2nd crossed the line for the chequered flag with a gap of 0.001sec! Brilliant race and not one contact incident - racing how it should be!

Here's to next year.

Terry
Old 10 Jun 2014, 08:23 (Ref:3418006)   #53
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike B, not wishing to teach anyone how to suck eggs, but I can remember a similar problem from 50 years ago, and after checking absolutely everything about 10 times, it turned out to be the condenser in the distributer. It was about the only thing that we handed looked at.

Funny thing is, is that we swapped it over from somebody's road car which then went on to run faultlessly for another 5 years.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 09:56 (Ref:3418045)   #54
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terry,
Seconded and I think by all the HRS competitors ... it was clockwork organisation, scrutineering was well organised and, having moaned a bit about the new 300 circuit, I must add that JP has immeasurably improved the facilities at Snetterton, as he has elsewhere.
Nick
Old 10 Jun 2014, 11:09 (Ref:3418074)   #55
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Mike B, not wishing to teach anyone how to suck eggs, but I can remember a similar problem from 50 years ago, and after checking absolutely everything about 10 times, it turned out to be the condenser in the distributer. It was about the only thing that we handed looked at.
No problem, Mike! The car has an external Swiftune condenser next to the coil, and a spare next to that, even though they never fail. No, the problem is deep rooted in the distributor, which is a modded Lucas, or perhaps the electronic rev counter. Latter is easy check, as can just pull the wire off coil!

Old 10 Jun 2014, 15:18 (Ref:3418178)   #56
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
ITS NEVER THE COIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Dispit the missfire I had great fun in Gilbert in the rain. Many thanks to Mike for entrusting me in his car.Spa here we come.
And yes John the Man hug was awsum. Good to see you looking so well.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 15:43 (Ref:3418190)   #57
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was a successful meeting by my standards – 3 races, one win and two second places! BUT let’s face it there was not much opposition and few entries, which was a pity.
The one-hour Sports Racing Car event was a bit odd at the start. The Final Instructions had described the race as having a rolling start, so I went to see the start of the 3-hour event to plan how to do it, as it was the first time I was leading a rolling start from pole position. It turned out the organisers had forgotten this minor detail and gave a standing start! The front row was rather hesitant and a Chevron on row 2 popped its nose ahead, then I thought I had better get going just in case. The whole of the first lap I was looking in my mirrors and missed a couple of braking points! The rest of the race was quite uneventful, just had to keep the thing on the road and trundle around. Although it is nice to have the names of the corners on huge great boards, I found it was rather disconcerting. I kept asking myself whether “Hamilton” meant Lewis or Duncan, and whether “Nelson” was a Brazilian ex-F1 driver or a Lord of the Admiralty (Norfolk being Nelson’s Country according to the border sign) - perhaps it is Lady Hamilton after all? And who is or was “Oggie”? And why? Difficult to concentrate sometimes!
The F3 races were more fun, the circuit is much better suited to them.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 16:34 (Ref:3418215)   #58
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Was great to see you and your cars at Snetterton, Marcus. And don't be so modest!

Agree about those corner name signs, I managed to wipe the Brundle (old esses) one out with my FF2000 two years ago, and was relieved to find they are polystyrene! It did leave lots of those horrible white bits everywhere though.....

During the SC period in the 3hr I found myself watching the plovers walking round on the grass looking for food....

Old 10 Jun 2014, 16:37 (Ref:3418217)   #59
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought there was some confusion over the start of the 1 hour race as the cars came from assembly area and continued out on the green flag lap without the usual stop on the grid - however there was notable lack of a safety car which would normally peel off at the end of the formation lap.

I was viewing this brandishing my camera from half way up the startline gantry...
Old 10 Jun 2014, 16:37 (Ref:3418218)   #60
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
ITS NEVER THE COIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Dispit the missfire I had great fun in Gilbert in the rain. Many thanks to Mike for entrusting me in his car.Spa here we come.

In this instance it most definitely wasn't the coil! Was great to see you in the car, Iain, and hopefully next time we will have full horsepower available, together with suspension tweaks!

Old 10 Jun 2014, 17:05 (Ref:3418233)   #61
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
It was a successful meeting by my standards – 3 races, one win and two second places! BUT let’s face it there was not much opposition and few entries, which was a pity.
The one-hour Sports Racing Car event was a bit odd at the start. The Final Instructions had described the race as having a rolling start, so I went to see the start of the 3-hour event to plan how to do it, as it was the first time I was leading a rolling start from pole position. It turned out the organisers had forgotten this minor detail and gave a standing start! The front row was rather hesitant and a Chevron on row 2 popped its nose ahead, then I thought I had better get going just in case. The whole of the first lap I was looking in my mirrors and missed a couple of braking points! The rest of the race was quite uneventful, just had to keep the thing on the road and trundle around. Although it is nice to have the names of the corners on huge great boards, I found it was rather disconcerting. I kept asking myself whether “Hamilton” meant Lewis or Duncan, and whether “Nelson” was a Brazilian ex-F1 driver or a Lord of the Admiralty (Norfolk being Nelson’s Country according to the border sign) - perhaps it is Lady Hamilton after all? And who is or was “Oggie”? And why? Difficult to concentrate sometimes!
The F3 races were more fun, the circuit is much better suited to them.
Show off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10 Jun 2014, 17:21 (Ref:3418242)   #62
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few 3 Hour shots:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6358SS.jpg   IMG_6362SS.jpg   IMG_6393SS.jpg  

IMG_6396SS.jpg   IMG_6412SS.jpg   IMG_6433SS.jpg  

Old 10 Jun 2014, 17:25 (Ref:3418243)   #63
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And a few more:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6454SS.jpg   IMG_6480SS.jpg   IMG_6515SS.jpg  

IMG_6551SS.jpg   IMG_6573SS.jpg   IMG_6685SS.jpg  

Old 11 Jun 2014, 11:00 (Ref:3418500)   #64
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Last few for 3 hours:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6710SS.jpg   IMG_6726SS.jpg   IMG_6768SS.jpg  

IMG_6771SS.jpg   IMG_6810SS.jpg   IMG_6830SS.jpg  

Old 11 Jun 2014, 11:11 (Ref:3418502)   #65
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Great pics, thank you, John. It was good to see a strong grid of small to medium size cars again, rather than some last season that seemed to be all big stuff!