Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jan 2016, 20:12 (Ref:3607432)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Silverstone BDC

The Bentley Drivers Club race meeting. Includes Morgan Challenge
Old 22 Jul 2016, 12:51 (Ref:3660128)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm hoping to be at the Classic but the weekend after, if you are into a less intense and more laid back old style clubby event how about the BDC meeting? FISCAR has a surprisingly good entry already in the mid 20s with maybe a few more on the way. I'm also running the Bic Healey Trophy Race again, for 4 cylinder Austin Healeys 100s, Sprites and which includes an AC v Austin Healey 100 Team Challenge and an Invitation class. If there is anyone out there who I haven't contacted yet with a suitable mid 50s to early 60s sports/GT cars shod with Dunlops and capable of lapping the National circuit no quicker than 1.14.5, please pm me. The sort of cars discussed in the Revstrat (see that thread) would probably be appropriate.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 22 Jul 2016, 18:12 (Ref:3660173)   #3
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Without doubt John, the best meeting of the year. It is what true motor sport should be, fun, friends, and frantic action.

Se you there.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 05:56 (Ref:3660263)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is a lovely meeting, Bob, although, compared to the Classic, more laid back than 'frantic', I feel. The thing is there are races at this meeting where it's almost a 'run what you brung' with a couple of All comers handicap races (fast & slow) and an All comers scratch race.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 23 Jul 2016, 07:22 (Ref:3660278)   #5
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm avoiding the Classic and going to this. I last attended this meeting as a boy in 1984!
Old 23 Jul 2016, 07:34 (Ref:3660281)   #6
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmondo View Post
I'm avoiding the Classic and going to this. I last attended this meeting as a boy in 1984!
1984? Are there people really that young?

I remember Richard Murdoch* driving his Bentley saloon back in the 1950's.

* Google will probably help you.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 13:16 (Ref:3660335)   #7
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob - 42, but I feel about 142, if that helps.

Looking forward to the meeting. John, hope you can assemble some good grids. Do we get a '50s sports race?
Old 23 Jul 2016, 16:37 (Ref:3660384)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well, that's what the FISCAR Inter-Marque race is - for 50s Sports cars - take a look at some of our race reports on www.fiscar.org . The grid is looking good so far, but my Bic Healey race could do with a few more entries.

Last edited by John Turner; 24 Jul 2016 at 10:53.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 06:35 (Ref:3662766)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
OK, we seem to have about 30 cars for the FISCAR race which is excellent if they all turn up and I have about 16-17 cars for the Bic Healey race which should be an incredibly pretty grid. Really looking forward to this after the intensity of the Classic.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 08:20 (Ref:3662791)   #10
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
OK, we seem to have about 30 cars for the FISCAR race which is excellent if they all turn up and I have about 16-17 cars for the Bic Healey race which should be an incredibly pretty grid. Really looking forward to this after the intensity of the Classic.
And two races for Morgans always good value for money. One being a mixed bag of MG's AC's and Moggies.
Old 4 Aug 2016, 17:48 (Ref:3663458)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember one event I did with this laid back,true enthusiastic club.I had just returned to the paddock after completing my race.Stood talking to a few other people and drives when suddenly one driver remembered he should have been out with us.He went up to RC and explained he hadnt heard the PA properly and missed his race."Oh,not a problem,we'll put you in race 6.Be ready in around twenty minutes or should we call you?"
Old 5 Aug 2016, 15:36 (Ref:3663597)   #12
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there an entry list for this meeting on line anywhere?
Old 5 Aug 2016, 17:57 (Ref:3663635)   #13
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
Is there an entry list for this meeting on line anywhere?
They're at the end of the Final Instructions:

https://media.bdcl.org/BDCassets/201...toneFinals.pdf
Old 8 Aug 2016, 06:47 (Ref:3664251)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Pretty stressful day for me on Saturday with some 'behind the scenes' issues with the Bic Healey which I couldn't resolve fully to everyone's satisfaction but by one or two accounts it did provide the best race of the day for the lead, and biased though I am, the FISCAR race also provided probably the best grid of the day with some superb cars on show. This is such a lovely meeting and it's great that BDC continue to run it each year.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 07:09 (Ref:3664254)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
The 'Bic' certainly provided lively entertainment John with a great battle for the lead the 'little 'un' not giving the 'Big Bloke' any respite in a close but very fair dice.

Fiscar is always well worth while both as photographer and spectator, well done and thank you for providing such a collection of fabulous cars.

Wearing my Morgan hat I have to say that the Aero Challenge takes a lot of beating for spectacle, as well as genuine 'racing' all down the field.

Once again a superb day out and we must be so thankful to the Bentley Boys for continuing to run this annual treat, by far MY favourite meeting of the year.

Pictures on their way to you today.

Oh! And it was an extra treat to be able to chat for more than 30 seconds!

Bob
Old 8 Aug 2016, 13:09 (Ref:3664342)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Many thanks for kind comments, Bob and for the photos.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 10:38 (Ref:3664571)   #17
bauble
Veteran

England
A few snaps from Fiscar
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_3715.JPG   _MG_3720.jpg   _MG_3736.jpg  

_MG_3743.jpg   _MG_3752.jpg   _MG_3747.jpg  

Old 9 Aug 2016, 10:43 (Ref:3664575)   #18
bauble
Veteran

England
And Bic Healey;
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_3438.jpg   _MG_3467.jpg   _MG_3481.jpg  

_MG_3423.jpg   IMG_1785.jpg   _MG_3486.jpg  

Old 9 Aug 2016, 10:52 (Ref:3664577)   #19
bauble
Veteran

England
And the Morgans; I do not know what went wrong with the third pic!
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_3511.jpg   _MG_3531.jpg   _MG_3536.jpg  

_MG_3546.jpg   _MG_3606.jpg   _MG_3498.JPG  

Old 9 Aug 2016, 11:09 (Ref:3664580)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I think that I should record the fact that Jonathan Abecassis drove an absolutely cracking race in the Bic Healey after a superb duel with Drew Cameron. It was only afterwards that it registered with me that Peter, grandson of Donald Healey had presented the Trophy to Jonathan, grandson of George Abecassis. How appropriate is that! Even more so when you remember that George had driven an Austin Healey 100S in the 1955 Mille Miglia.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 11:16 (Ref:3664581)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The yellow Spridget (WSM?) is lovely! Good to see Keith A had some competition for overall honours in the Morgan Challenge, courtesy of My Bryant.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 22:10 (Ref:3664754)   #22
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Bauble has already covered the Bic Healeys, I'll just add 4 more shots (other races to follow)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	48103Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	48104Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122.JPG
Views:	2
ID:	48105Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0124.JPG
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	48106
Old 9 Aug 2016, 22:19 (Ref:3664755)   #23
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bentleys - Love the specials, but I don't know how the purists view them

Name:	IMG_0142.JPG
ID:	48107 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.JPG
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	48108 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143.JPG
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	48109

Name:	IMG_0141.JPG
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	48110 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.JPG
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	48111 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139.JPG
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	48112
Old 9 Aug 2016, 22:28 (Ref:3664757)   #24
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Fiscar

Name:	IMG_0149.JPG
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	48113 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.JPG
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	48114 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0166.JPG
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	48115

Name:	IMG_0161.JPG
ID:	48116 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156.JPG
ID:	48117 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0172.JPG
ID:	48118
Old 9 Aug 2016, 22:38 (Ref:3664759)   #25
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
And finally a few from qualifying - some of which didn't start in the afternoon, plus what I've been told is a buzzard that was making use of a radio tower in the industrial estate.

Name:	IMG_0058.JPG
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	48119 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0063.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	48120 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0065.JPG
Size:	1.55 MB