Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Mar 2008, 21:13 (Ref:2141765)   #51
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would you like my top 100 davyboy?

I agree with Gt_R to some extent. It is difficult to give a driver a solid rank, especially if you are covering many time periods/eras. 100 drivers is also a hell of a lot to consider and rank.

There are also those drivers who could have been better than anyone but never had the chance to show it. But at the end of the day, if you are at the sharp end of such a list there is nothing to be ashamed of.

Still, it has got us all wound up and irritated! It is fun.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 21:37 (Ref:2141784)   #52
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I can't believe how quickly this thread has grown...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Personally, although I'm not Schmumacher's biggest fan, he'd walk into my Top 5.
Same for me - I wasn't a fan of his at all, but to leave him out of the top 10 just seems like madness.

Looking at the list again, I would question why Alesi is so high up, and if it was my list Rubens Barrichello wouldn't figure anywhere near the top 70. But then I couldn't compile the list, because I've only watched F1 since the mid-90s, so if I was doing a top 100 it would be a very odd-looking list! Alan Henry does have the benefit of many years experience both watching and writing about F1, so I'm intrigued to read about how he came to the conclusions he did.

I await the book with interest (handily, it's my birthday next month so I now have a gift suggestion for anybody who asks ).
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 1 Mar 2008, 22:16 (Ref:2141799)   #53
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this is based purely on F1 then Moss shouldn't get near the top on whatever means you use to rate drivers. At the end of the day competitive sport is about winning and he didn't win a championship. He always says Fangio was the best, but I suppose that had to do with the fact that he couldn't beat him even as a team mate. I think you can argue the relative merits of multiple champions, but not somebody who never won one.
I saw Gilles Vileneuve make his debut in 77 and i always loved watching him drive. Along with Ronnie the best natural talent I have seen, but I wouldn't have them at the top of my list of greats because there's more to being a racing driver than just pure talent. You need to be calm under pressure, develop your car, work with a team and make sure your in the right team at the right time.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 22:24 (Ref:2141807)   #54
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now now kids, no need to get so fired up!

Just to see Mika's name cheers me up, I still love F1. Still follow it closely, still love the machines. But I used to be so much more into it when Mika was around, I think back to 1996-2001 when I first started watchin' and I was such a big Hakkinen fan. I guess I am not the only McLaren fan who feels that Kimi was not able to replace Mika, despite how good he obviously is...
ahh, the good ole' days.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 23:05 (Ref:2141835)   #55
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
Alan Henry does have the benefit of many years experience both watching and writing about F1, so I'm intrigued to read about how he came to the conclusions he did.

I await the book with interest (handily, it's my birthday next month so I now have a gift suggestion for anybody who asks ).
The point about Alan Henry's experience is a very valid one.

As for the book, it's already half price at Amazon!
Old 2 Mar 2008, 00:00 (Ref:2141861)   #56
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
There is question.

One of the best. The best of his era. Not the best of all.
Simply because there'll never be The best of all.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 00:12 (Ref:2141866)   #57
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2001
Just to see Mika's name cheers me up, I still love F1. Still follow it closely, still love the machines. But I used to be so much more into it when Mika was around, I think back to 1996-2001 when I first started watchin' and I was such a big Hakkinen fan. I guess I am not the only McLaren fan who feels that Kimi was not able to replace Mika, despite how good he obviously is...
ahh, the good ole' days.
Hear hear

Just give it about 12-15 years and Hugo will be in F1, I'm sure!
Old 2 Mar 2008, 00:25 (Ref:2141870)   #58
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
o Gilles Villeneuve appears top 20 on one of these things again. Probably the most over-rated driver of all time... I'll now get a cacophony of abuse for saying that... but he made bad career decisions and was wreckless behind the wheel. Definitely not the way to succeed in F1, particularly in his generation.
I'd have had Villeneuve higher, but I guess that's the nature of opinion

I don't see statistics as the be-all and end-all, as motorsport is essentially a team game, with the driver being one component of success.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 00:25 (Ref:2141871)   #59
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
Same for me - I wasn't a fan of his at all, but to leave him out of the top 10 just seems like madness.

Looking at the list again, I would question why Alesi is so high up,
Alesi may have been top ten had he signed for Williams instead of Ferrari.As for Schumacher,well if Bertrand Gachot hadn't sprayed CS gas into a cab drivers face..............
Old 2 Mar 2008, 00:29 (Ref:2141873)   #60
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't start with IFs... that will destroy the thread, Martyn... PLEASE !
Old 2 Mar 2008, 00:36 (Ref:2141879)   #61
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Don't start with IFs... that will destroy the thread, Martyn... PLEASE !
I suppose that what I was trying to put across is that for raw driving skills I would pick Alesi over Schumacher any day.

Only circumstances and bad judgement cloud the issue.

As you say though,IF has no place in F1.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 00:39 (Ref:2141880)   #62
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alesi is the most overrated driver in the history of motorsport. I wouldn't let him drive the school bus.

Very exciting to watch, but ultimately a complete crackpot.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 00:47 (Ref:2141886)   #63
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

Well,you could say that about any number of F1 drivers and one other Ferrari driver in particular.Granted that Alesi had his off days and his OFF days.But driving those frustratingly fragile Ferrari's would be enough to turn the most gentle of souls into a mad man.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 00:54 (Ref:2141891)   #64
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Alesi is the most overrated driver in the history of motorsport. I wouldn't let him drive the school bus.

How dare you.. I used to love to watch him drive, well most of the time..
Old 2 Mar 2008, 01:00 (Ref:2141894)   #65
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

And now we miss so much those kind of drivers...
Old 2 Mar 2008, 01:03 (Ref:2141895)   #66
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
How dare you.. I used to love to watch him drive, well most of the time..
He drove with his heart,but not his head.Unfortunately you can't get away with that in an F1 car.But he was great to watch and that's what puts him in my top ten.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 01:24 (Ref:2141902)   #67
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Indeed.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 01:27 (Ref:2141905)   #68
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Yes we do...Yes we do indeed.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 01:36 (Ref:2141912)   #69
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
He drove with his heart,but not his head.Unfortunately you can't get away with that in an F1 car.But he was great to watch and that's what puts him in my top ten.
I will take some more of that then please..
Old 2 Mar 2008, 01:51 (Ref:2141920)   #70
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
I will take some more of that then please..
Me too! Unfortunately Juan Pablo Montoya was the last one to hint at anything like that kind of style.I'd rather likened him to Alesi actually.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 02:06 (Ref:2141927)   #71
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I tend to think lists like these aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

And this one helps confirm that theory...
Old 2 Mar 2008, 09:24 (Ref:2141993)   #72
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I don't think it is too bad a list actually, not a lot to disagree with. I'd put Prost ahead of Senna though.
You'd agree that Mika was better than Michael? Or that Alesi, with his singular win in over 200 GP's is better than JPM with his 7 wins in less than half the amount of GP's that Alesi contested?

The list is imo, but then, Mr Henry is entitled to his opinion.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 10:24 (Ref:2142030)   #73
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not a bad list. Possibly a few roughies to generate some discussion or encourage the target audience to buy a copy. Good marketing.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2142045)   #74
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think that Boutsen and Arnoux should be switched, but apart from that, I think the list is accurate.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 10:57 (Ref:2142064)   #75
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure he's been controversial intentionally to drum up interest in what would ordinarily be just another list of GP stars with the usual trite commentary. I won't be buying it.