Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Apr 2009, 09:46 (Ref:2447667)   #1
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mercedes not happy with McLaren

Mercedes are re-evaluating their involvement with McLaren - this thing does seem to run quite deep and to be rather more than a storm in a teacup.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/...image-problem/
Old 23 Apr 2009, 10:07 (Ref:2447681)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Anything other than McLaren - Mercedes sounds a bit strange now, does it not?

Selby
Old 23 Apr 2009, 10:10 (Ref:2447683)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed it does - plus Merc have 40% of McLaren (although it sounds as if they want to get some personnel in at high level of the board to try and help shift the culture).
Old 23 Apr 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2447685)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I don't suppose a switch of investment to Brawn GP could be a possibility..?

Selby
Old 23 Apr 2009, 10:28 (Ref:2447694)   #5
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They're trying to frighten McLaren. They'd be foolish to relinquish the Hamilton investment. All bets are off, of course, if Hamilton breaks with them.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 10:40 (Ref:2447707)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It sounds like someone is expecting the worst at the WMSC meeting next week.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 10:40 (Ref:2447708)   #7
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Personally I view this announcement as a combination of Scabre Rattling ("Come on McLaren, sort yourselves out or we're leaving"), and an opportunity to publically distance Mercedes from the present/current/latest contoversy.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 10:42 (Ref:2447709)   #8
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder if Ron moved away from the CEO role (as well as team principle) so that it would be Martin rather than himself who has to suffer the indignity of stepping aside for Mercedes' Man.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2447711)   #9
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Hmm. I don't remember a sudden improvement in fortunes when the men at the top of Ilmor were replaced by suits from Stuttgart. In fact, I'm sure the situation worsened due to the lack of understanding of how a smaller business works, and a class of work cultures.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 11:08 (Ref:2447724)   #10
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Mercedes are reportedly losing $1billion per month so it might suit them to shelve the F1 racing division?

The date with the WMSC might be giving them an excuse to save face i.e. lets pull out because McLaren are deemed to have brought the sport into contempt rather than we're pulling out because we're losing money hand over fist!
Old 23 Apr 2009, 12:06 (Ref:2447764)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Reading in the electronic telegraph, it is reported that Vodafone might operate a performance clause ifthe WMSC finds against McLaren. Again, with the economic downturn, it does seem convenient.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2447777)   #12
Glen
Veteran

That is going to be tough if it happens. Very big problems for the whole sport if a major sponsor pulls out. Hopefully the WMSC will have an eye of these kind of consequences - there's a hell of a lot of jobs at stake.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2447816)   #13
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently eight teams have been holding discussions with Cosworth about an engine supply for next season. If you assume that all three of the possible new entries have been holding these talks (Lola, Prodrive and USGPE) then that still leaves five others - perhaps all from the current grid? Obviously Ferrari, Toyota, Renault and BMW Sauber use their own engines, and I see no reason why Brawn GP and Force India would end their Mercedes partnership (and Red Bull is also reported to be interested in a Mercedes supply); so that leaves three teams - Williams, Toro Rosso and McLaren.

McLaren-Cosworth anybody...?
Old 23 Apr 2009, 13:26 (Ref:2447821)   #14
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
haha That sounds awesome!

Selby
Old 23 Apr 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2447943)   #15
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
Apparently eight teams have been holding discussions with Cosworth about an engine supply for next season. If you assume that all three of the possible new entries have been holding these talks (Lola, Prodrive and USGPE) then that still leaves five others - perhaps all from the current grid? Obviously Ferrari, Toyota, Renault and BMW Sauber use their own engines, and I see no reason why Brawn GP and Force India would end their Mercedes partnership (and Red Bull is also reported to be interested in a Mercedes supply); so that leaves three teams - Williams, Toro Rosso and McLaren.

McLaren-Cosworth anybody...?
From that list, if Red Bull are looking to move away from Renault, then I could see how they would also possibly be looking at Cosworth.

As regards McLaren-Cosworth, would McLaren be interested in a move to an unproven engine, considering that they are probably the closest to developing a good engine-KERS combination.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 16:41 (Ref:2447972)   #16
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There's a story in this week's Autosport magazine that Red Bull are trying to get hold of Mercedes engines for next year, partly for performance and packaging reasons and partly due to the continued uncertainty surrounding Renault's future in F1.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 01:14 (Ref:2448286)   #17
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
would McLaren be interested in a move to an unproven engine, considering that they are probably the closest to developing a good engine-KERS combination.
Judging by the way things seem to be going, McLaren might not have much choice in the matter. It's possible that Mercedes will decide to back Brawn GP as their "number one" team, while continuing to support one other team - possibly Red Bull??
Old 24 Apr 2009, 05:05 (Ref:2448332)   #18
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes, Mercedes should leave the team that just won the WDC to go support a bunch of nobodies that have to develop a car for twice as long to get an edge over the big boys.... Thats just ridiculous. By next year Brawns team will have surrendered its advantage from this year and will go back in its customary place at the back of the grid.

Mercedes are either going to completely quit the sport or they will continue to support Mclaren
Old 24 Apr 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2448362)   #19
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
From that list, if Red Bull are looking to move away from Renault, then I could see how they would also possibly be looking at Cosworth.
Red Bull are also negotiating with Renault. I suspect the reason they have negotiations outside of Renault is in case Renault decide to pack up and leave, which has been a real possibility for a few years.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2448371)   #20
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiseYourFist View Post
By next year Brawns team will have surrendered its advantage from this year and will go back in its customary place at the back of the grid.
I don't know if you are completely new to F1, but the team Brawn is in tends to be the one to beat, and when he leaves it tends to fall back substantially...
Old 24 Apr 2009, 07:31 (Ref:2448380)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8rirl View Post
Well Mercedes are reportedly losing $1billion per month so it might suit them to shelve the F1 racing division?

Yes, I think that, much more tham Macs, they dislike their current economic performances.

of course Macs' recent bad moves provide them with a comfortable "casus belli"
Old 24 Apr 2009, 07:47 (Ref:2448394)   #22
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiseYourFist View Post
Yes, Mercedes should leave the team that just won the WDC to go support a bunch of nobodies...
I suspect that Ross Brawn and Christian Horner (and indeed Vijay Mallya) would contest your claim that they're a bunch of nobodies; and while Hamilton might be last year's WDC, he's not going to be challenging for the title this year. So if it's true that Mercedes aren't happy with the current situation with McLaren and they want to switch the bulk of their resources to another team, I can't see how they could be presented with a much better opportunity than currently exists.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 07:58 (Ref:2448403)   #23
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
I suspect that Ross Brawn and Christian Horner (and indeed Vijay Mallya) would contest your claim that they're a bunch of nobodies; and while Hamilton might be last year's WDC, he's not going to be challenging for the title this year. So if it's true that Mercedes aren't happy with the current situation with McLaren and they want to switch the bulk of their resources to another team, I can't see how they could be presented with a much better opportunity than currently exists.
If I were Mercedes, I'd use the excuse to get out completely, not switch to another team. To my eyes, switching teams makes the switcher look a bit too desperate, which they would want to avoid. They are losing so much money, that to spend on F1 would not be looking good to their shareholders/employees. It still amazes me anyone invests in F1 - I just cannot see how the benefits outweigh the costs.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 07:59 (Ref:2448405)   #24
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Yes but...
Although I agree that there are many reasons on the table that make it look like sound economic sense, I just can't see Mercedes not supplying an engine to the team they own 40% of, that's all.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2448462)   #25
Glen
Veteran

Yet again that old tendency for taking a discussion straight to the most extreme conclusion! Just because they are less than satisfied, doesn't mean they are pulling out! I think it would comfort Mercedes to have more control at a high management level, and also to have a hand in the internal review of the McLaren culture - both those things would benefit both companies too, imo.