Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Nov 2013, 15:27 (Ref:3336033)   #26
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Will Vettel give best to Mark today and give MW his 10th win whilst boosting his own PR image?
Not a chance.
Old 24 Nov 2013, 15:40 (Ref:3336035)   #27
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Not a chance.
Wishful thinking on my part. It certainly wouldn't do SV's street credit any harm.
Old 24 Nov 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3336066)   #28
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2nd.... Thanks Potsie!

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Nov 2013, 18:09 (Ref:3336075)   #29
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loved Christian Horner's "This is your last lap Mark. Enjoy it."

We will certainly miss Mark Webber in F1, but WEC isn't exactly bad...
Old 24 Nov 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3336078)   #30
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Would have been nice of seb to slow down and thank mark by letting him take the top spot but perhaps that was asking to much that is just not the image he wants. Any way looking forward to welcoming Mark back to the greatest race in June next year
Old 24 Nov 2013, 18:26 (Ref:3336087)   #31
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wouldn't have been nice at all IMO Simon. I don't think Mark would have wanted it that way either. Done and dusted then Mark, see you in France in June
Old 24 Nov 2013, 18:37 (Ref:3336098)   #32
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Wouldn't have been nice at all IMO Simon. I don't think Mark would have wanted it that way either. Done and dusted then Mark, see you in France in June
Northamptonshire in April, surely?
Old 24 Nov 2013, 19:01 (Ref:3336107)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah yes, that one first!
Old 24 Nov 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3336156)   #34
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny to watch him bin it on the podium!

Been great watching Mark. Took me a few years to come around to understanding just how talented he was...and learned in the last 3 years that sooner or later, a slight deficiet in talent cant be bridged over a season....no matter how much "grit" you show.

I will miss him and going to Le Mans to show my support for him with Porsche.
Old 24 Nov 2013, 21:48 (Ref:3336192)   #35
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Would have been nice of seb to slow down and thank mark by letting him take the top spot but perhaps that was asking to much that is just not the image he wants. Any way looking forward to welcoming Mark back to the greatest race in June next year
Bathurst isnt in June
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Nov 2013, 22:34 (Ref:3336217)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No it isn't.

Old 25 Nov 2013, 07:31 (Ref:3336373)   #37
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed that last race. I didn't want Seb to slow, but I did find myself clapping when Vettel's tyres weren't ready at the stop.

A win was not to be for Mark, but it was a great finish. He set the fastest lap and it is nice to see someone bowing out when they are still at the top of their game and in a decent team. Too often the greats dwindle away to nothing until people just want to see them gone.

Highlight was seeing someone driving an F1 car with no helmet. hahaha
Old 25 Nov 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3336447)   #38
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Does anyone know if Webber is going to retain Red Bull sponsorship in 2014 at Porsche?

Renault may be one of many sticking points ...
Old 25 Nov 2013, 12:37 (Ref:3336471)   #39
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I thought Webber bowed out of F1 with tremendous dignity and a strong run to second. I'll always regret that he didn't win the WDC in 2010; it was a really good year for him and he'd have deserved it. But he's had a damned good run.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 13:49 (Ref:3336501)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Does anyone know if Webber is going to retain Red Bull sponsorship in 2014 at Porsche?

Renault may be one of many sticking points ...
Watch the vid in post #23- sure he mentions 'remaining a Red Bull athlete' in his speech.

Old 25 Nov 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3336528)   #41
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most people have to be dragged kicking and screaming out of F1 and the decision is made for them, rather than the other way around. So I was surprised to see him step out of F1 on his own. I'd imagine the offer Porsche made him is probably enough to make him one of the highest paid sportscar drivers ever.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 16:59 (Ref:3336582)   #42
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Dietrich i believe said as much back when it was first announced that Webber was leaving and the commentators on the BBC suggested something along the lines that it was this backing which is allowing him to immediately starting working for Porsche.

the no helmet on the cool down lap was a pretty iconic type gesture and im glad no stupid penalty for that or giving his engineer his helmet (and then taking it back) prior to the final weight in was handed down. at least the season ended with some FIA sensibility.

cool that he didnt want any friends or family there with him at the track this weekend. i thought that was sort of a telling insight into his personality. sort of like 'im not leaving anything behind and i start a new job tomorrow so save the funeral for another day' type thing or at least thats how i read into it.

true grit!
Old 25 Nov 2013, 17:27 (Ref:3336594)   #43
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Mark's message to RBR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pml6LzTmKWE

Mark will leave the track soon after the race to start work with Porsche tomorrow. At his request, no family, friends or his partner Ann are at the track this weekend. So I guess he isn't expecting to celebrate a win then.
By all accounts Porsche don't have a chassis for him to test at the moment following a testing fire! Last time I saw him in a sportscar he flew off into the trees at a rapid rate of knots at Indianapolis(Le Mans). Dreadful accident, I hope he has better fortunes with Porsche.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 21:52 (Ref:3336705)   #44
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Watch the vid in post #23- sure he mentions 'remaining a Red Bull athlete' in his speech.

That is why I asked Mike, if he was taking Red Bull sponsorship with him, you would have expected RBR and Horner to have known that he was moving before he announced the Porsche deal.

So, is it just a personal deal on the side or is it a Porsche sponsorship by Red Bull, and was it put in place before or after Webber signed up for Porsche?

Last edited by wnut; 25 Nov 2013 at 22:01.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 22:01 (Ref:3336715)   #45
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Dietrich i believe said as much back when it was first announced that Webber was leaving and the commentators on the BBC suggested something along the lines that it was this backing which is allowing him to immediately starting working for Porsche.
If this is so, Red Bull and Dietrich have certainly been very fair with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

the no helmet on the cool down lap was a pretty iconic type gesture and im glad no stupid penalty for that or giving his engineer his helmet (and then taking it back) prior to the final weight in was handed down. at least the season ended with some FIA sensibility.
It was great to see a driver do this again, Rindt, Fittipaldi, Stewart, and some of the others used to always take their helmets off on the cool down lap, it was great!
Old 25 Nov 2013, 22:05 (Ref:3336719)   #46
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That is why I asked, if he was taking Red Bull sponsorship with him, you would have expected RBR and Horner to have known that he was moving before he announced the Porsche deal.
indeed, which came first.

so completely just speculating but this article is dated jun 27 2013 which i believe is around the time (maybe even the same day) the news became public that MW was leaving.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108324

"Mateschitz said he was not surprised at all when news of Webber's switch to the World Endurance Championship with Porsche broke on Thursday morning.
"We knew about Mark's decision for some time and I think it's a very good one with benefits for him and Porsche," said Mateschitz."

if these quotes are an accurate reflection of the time line and if in fact Horner was surprised by the announcement, could that mean he was left in the dark about what was going on?
Old 25 Nov 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3336734)   #47
wnut
Veteran

Thanks Chillibowl, that is what I wanted to know!

Mateschitz has always seemed to have some sort of relationship with Webber that went beyond RBR. Very intriguing!
Old 26 Nov 2013, 03:11 (Ref:3336820)   #48
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

It was great to see a driver do this again, Rindt, Fittipaldi, Stewart, and some of the others used to always take their helmets off on the cool down lap, it was great!
Bloomin' good job a stone didn't get flicked up from another car and hit him in the face/eye ! I bet, anyone from the Porsche WEC team watching that yesterday were cringing at the time!
Old 26 Nov 2013, 03:25 (Ref:3336821)   #49
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Bloomin' good job a stone didn't get flicked up from another car and hit him in the face/eye ! I bet, anyone from the Porsche WEC team watching that yesterday were cringing at the time!
Could have become a one eyed recruiter for a German racing team!
Old 26 Nov 2013, 03:59 (Ref:3336829)   #50
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE
It was great to see a driver do this again, Rindt, Fittipaldi, Stewart, and some of the others used to always take their helmets off on the cool down lap, it was great![/QUOTE]

Interesting. Been watching since '84. First time I can remember seeing a driver
take the helmet off on the cool down. It is a nice touch. Better if he stopped
and gave it to a Marshall.