Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 May 2017, 15:35 (Ref:3730585)   #51
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Almost all of the tracks are getting rid of their grass where the fast turns are. Road American, Mosport, the Glen ect ect.

Except for VIR and Lime rock
Turns 1 and 12 at Road Atlanta are still grass/gravel and I hope there's no plans to ever pave those. Other than the mickey mouse motorcycle sections in the esses and the short course entry/exit at T5, which are actually for driving on, it's all grass, gravel, Jersey barrier and tire walls. And, of course the occasional Drift cul-d-sac.
Old 2 May 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3730595)   #52
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Turns 1 and 12 at Road Atlanta are still grass/gravel and I hope there's no plans to ever pave those. Other than the mickey mouse motorcycle sections in the esses and the short course entry/exit at T5, which are actually for driving on, it's all grass, gravel, Jersey barrier and tire walls. And, of course the occasional Drift cul-d-sac.
If Indycar ever goes there they will. Never say never
Old 2 May 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3730597)   #53
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
If Indycar ever goes there they will. Never say never
I didn't but will. IndyCar will NEVER go there

It's highly unlikely, in all seriousness, and I've discussed reasons enough in other threads - don't want to veer too far off topic.

Harry Gottsacker and Parker Chase are replacing Jan Heylen and Wolf Henzler in the TRG 991 Porsche at CoTA.
https://www.frontstretch.com/2017/04...debut-at-cota/

Both IMSA debuts, according to the above...
Old 2 May 2017, 19:23 (Ref:3730617)   #54
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
You know what would make COTA brilliant? Grass. Seriously, just stick a grass verge around the outside of the track. 10ft wide. Then make the run off area a proper tarmac stars and stripes design. That'd solve most of the complaints really. I still don't like the final stadium section, but it'd be better if there was grass there. Unlike every other track in America, it doesn't punish drivers mistakes or liberties. That'd solve it.
Old 2 May 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3730618)   #55
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I guess that's really it with me; it's the kid that doesn't belong.

Grass and at least one tree would make it prettier, too. It's a modern, clean testament to how well man can build "things", something that most, if not all modern circuits seem to have. Many older circuits and Barber are incorporated into the surrounding landscape; this looks like was dropped out of the sky over top of the landscape.

Checking out the overhead views, I see an amphitheater, which I've not noticed before and is really cool, but doesn't help with anything on track.

Some rendering showing actual trees; guess they were axed during value engineering, not that they would help with anything on track.

Yes, the base of the tower forms the roof of the amphitheater stage, like a giant metal mullet. It's pretty cool!

They planted plenty of trees and they are still very young, but it's the Texas prairie! The biggest of trees is maybe 20-30ft tall and a bit scraggly. They need more artificial shade. If you look under the bridges during a sunny race, you will see those areas packed with people.

It's the nicest track I've ever been to but is more akin to going to a ballpark than a racetrack (even Nascar). Combine that with the expense, distance from the track, and other issues folks have mentioned, and I don't see myself making a return visit. Maybe the F1 bug will bite again one day, but until then, I'll spend my money at the crusty old places.
Old 2 May 2017, 21:37 (Ref:3730634)   #56
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Not to torpedo this thread all the way to hell, but the problem is that Paul Ricard since Bernie Eccostone bought it has set the pattern for paved run off areas and some of the start-stop stuff that Tilke tracks are known for, though most of that was original to PR's layout, which is actually pretty good aside from the run off areas.
Old 2 May 2017, 21:37 (Ref:3730635)   #57
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Yes, the base of the tower forms the roof of the amphitheater stage, like a giant metal mullet. It's pretty cool!

They planted plenty of trees and they are still very young, but it's the Texas prairie! The biggest of trees is maybe 20-30ft tall and a bit scraggly. They need more artificial shade. If you look under the bridges during a sunny race, you will see those areas packed with people.

It's the nicest track I've ever been to but is more akin to going to a ballpark than a racetrack (even Nascar). Combine that with the expense, distance from the track, and other issues folks have mentioned, and I don't see myself making a return visit. Maybe the F1 bug will bite again one day, but until then, I'll spend my money at the crusty old places.
That's what I was going to say on the trees. It's that part of Texas! Look at the surroundings of the track, not much there in terms of big trees. Maybe it'll look more green in a few years time, if it's still used for motorsports.
Old 3 May 2017, 00:28 (Ref:3730651)   #58
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I always love seeing transporters in action!
I can spot them a mile away coming down the Interstate. They are different and cool.

My wife asks me how I can tell a difference from so far away? When you are looking for the show on the road to show up, it's easy.
Old 3 May 2017, 00:51 (Ref:3730655)   #59
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
That's what I was going to say on the trees. It's that part of Texas! Look at the surroundings of the track, not much there in terms of big trees. Maybe it'll look more green in a few years time, if it's still used for motorsports.
That's why I said "one tree". And there's some tree clumps close enough.

Quote:
Yeah, it's got a golf course in the desert feel. Wish I'd made the trip for the V8s. Can't recall my excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
I can spot them a mile away coming down the Interstate. They are different and cool.

My wife asks me how I can tell a difference from so far away? When you are looking for the show on the road to show up, it's easy.
Some of those are badass. We passed the Corvette Hauler on 75 after Sebring right before Tommy Milner passed us in his street Vette. Can't make that up.
Old 3 May 2017, 00:55 (Ref:3730656)   #60
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I didn't but will. IndyCar will NEVER go there
I once heard that if IndyCar ran at Road Atlanta that they would do it in reverse order. Turn 12 becomes turn 1 and turn 1 becomes turn 12. Put your mind around that one.
Old 3 May 2017, 01:18 (Ref:3730658)   #61
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I once heard that if IndyCar ran at Road Atlanta that they would do it in reverse order. Turn 12 becomes turn 1 and turn 1 becomes turn 12. Put your mind around that one.
Ha! The Tour of Georgia stage cycling race did a special stage there one year and they went reverse. I rode in support vehicle with my brother. It was odd.
Old 3 May 2017, 20:53 (Ref:3730837)   #62
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Some rendering showing actual trees; guess they were axed during value engineering, not that they would help with anything on track.

Yeah, that's some seriously NE US thoughts in a prairie environment. Those shade trees aren't growing there without some help. Just look at the street trees of Sandy Springs; but maples grow well in NY and Ohio, they'll look GREAT here in the fall. It's not that hot here right?
Old 3 May 2017, 20:59 (Ref:3730842)   #63
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
If they could do that without altering the track, that would be great. I can see that working. The downhill run from exiting turn 6 through turn 5 and to the bottom of the esses seems like it would feel weird and scary. Maybe it's just in my mind though. I'd actually love to see this now....
Old 3 May 2017, 21:06 (Ref:3730843)   #64
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Yeah, that's some seriously NE US thoughts in a prairie environment. Those shade trees aren't growing there without some help. Just look at the street trees of Sandy Springs; but maples grow well in NY and Ohio, they'll look GREAT here in the fall. It's not that hot here right?
Everything looks good on paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
If they could do that without altering the track, that would be great. I can see that working. The downhill run from exiting turn 6 through turn 5 and to the bottom of the esses seems like it would feel weird and scary. Maybe it's just in my mind though. I'd actually love to see this now....
Turn 7 would need the same size gravel trap as is at 10a. Major work there. That or a net to catch flying IndyCars after they crest the hill at "turn 8".

Turn 1 would still be absolutely badshit crazy, with the outside exit being the support paddock pitwall end.
Old 3 May 2017, 21:21 (Ref:3730846)   #65
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Everything looks good on paper.

Turn 7 would need the same size gravel trap as is at 10a. Major work there. That or a net to catch flying IndyCars after they crest the hill at "turn 8".

Turn 1 would still be absolutely badshit crazy, with the outside exit being the support paddock pitwall end.
Oh yeah, forgot about the wall ending outside of turn one. Need a bunch of tires there..... At least the pit exit is there so they could "escape" down it if needed?

And a gravel trap outside of turn 7 wouldn't affect anything imo. No viewing on that side, doesn't change the track at all really, so that's cool.
Old 3 May 2017, 21:40 (Ref:3730853)   #66
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Oh yeah, forgot about the wall ending outside of turn one. Need a bunch of tires there..... At least the pit exit is there so they could "escape" down it if needed?

And a gravel trap outside of turn 7 wouldn't affect anything imo. No viewing on that side, doesn't change the track at all really, so that's cool.
Agreed on the look but I was thinking more of the sheer amount of work and that the property line is just beyond the turn 7 wall, I believe. Pretty sure you have to move the wall back a good 30 or 40 feet at least. Also believe there's a steep drop-off and then some body of water close behind.

Anything's doable. Just got to throw money at it or a chicane.
Old 3 May 2017, 23:11 (Ref:3730871)   #67
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Agreed on the look but I was thinking more of the sheer amount of work and that the property line is just beyond the turn 7 wall, I believe. Pretty sure you have to move the wall back a good 30 or 40 feet at least. Also believe there's a steep drop-off and then some body of water close behind.

Couldn't a gravel trap and some tires at a wall at the edge there be enough? Wouldn't that be like turn one at Road America? There's a dropoff outside of that wall too, isn't there?
Old 4 May 2017, 00:06 (Ref:3730875)   #68
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Couldn't a gravel trap and some tires at a wall at the edge there be enough? Wouldn't that be like turn one at Road America? There's a dropoff outside of that wall too, isn't there?
That is a good comparison. Yes, there's a decent drop off but the T1 R America wall is MUCH further from the racing surface than T7 at Road ATL.

Edit:
Back on topic, maybe. Plenty of runoff at CoTA.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 4 May 2017 at 00:23.
Old 4 May 2017, 13:15 (Ref:3730991)   #69
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

IIRC, one exists.
Old 4 May 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3731000)   #70
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cars are on track in about 2 hours. The weather for the first session will be noticeably cooler than the rest of the weekend. Do the Mazdas, Nissans, Oreca or Ligier have anything for the Caddy's this weekend?
Old 4 May 2017, 15:15 (Ref:3731013)   #71
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, I thought this was the cota sucks thread, thanks for getting back on track joeb!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 4 May 2017, 16:05 (Ref:3731019)   #72
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
Oh, I thought this was the cota sucks thread, thanks for getting back on track joeb!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 4 May 2017, 17:17 (Ref:3731033)   #73
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
First strike goes to Cadillac, 1-2 in first practice led by the Taylor's (of course). 1:57.1's for the top two, followed by a 1:57.3 for the lead ESM. Pretty close so far.

Results in pdf form here http://results.imsa.com/Results/17_2...by%20Class.PDF
Old 4 May 2017, 17:54 (Ref:3731040)   #74
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I think the COTA IMSA race will be very good. I don't see the calamities of Long Beach and feel the only chance of safety cars will be from stalled cars ....basically stuff that really should not being out a SC but in the IMSA series it does. Although I usually don't mind a full course yellow somewhere between 20-30 minutes into the race. Since a yellow around that time can likely shake up the standings for a short time (both class and overall) before it settles down after that. Can't make any specific predictions for this one.
Old 4 May 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3731044)   #75
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
First strike goes to Cadillac, 1-2 in first practice led by the Taylor's (of course). 1:57.1's for the top two, followed by a 1:57.3 for the lead ESM. Pretty close so far.

Results in pdf form here http://results.imsa.com/Results/17_2...by%20Class.PDF
For reference to IMSA race at COTA about 8 months ago now roughly:
DP/P2 = 1:58.7
GTLM = 2:04.1
GTD = 2:08.5

Just after the first practice it was
DPI = 1:57.1
GTLM = 2:03.7
GTD = 2:06.5