Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Dec 2017, 21:25 (Ref:3784797)   #251
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
I'd add a fifth.

The celebration after the Saturday race.

I can't help but feel they thought that they had done all they needed to do.
They were celebrating the Teams Championship Win, not the Drivers Championship!
Old 2 Dec 2017, 22:14 (Ref:3784802)   #252
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
They were celebrating the Teams Championship Win, not the Drivers Championship!
Either way, it released some of the pressure
Plenty of time to celebrate that the next day
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Dec 2017, 00:57 (Ref:3784829)   #253
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
[VASC17R25R26] Coates Hire Newcastle 500:24-26 Nov

Been a while since the team have been in the race for the title at the last round & of course 1st time for the pilot.
They’ll probably be right for it another time.
Of course, the title is more than one weekend & given their pace, DJRTP arguably should have won it before they all arrived for Newy.
Plenty of lessons for 2018 & no doubt 888 will be working hard to get pace back.
Old 3 Dec 2017, 02:29 (Ref:3784841)   #254
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My thoughts exactly.

Too many silly mistakes over the course of the season, and not always capitalising on their sheer pace. An inconsistant team mate wouldn't have helped either.

Triple Eight weren't perfect though, but they made fewer mistakes and SVG played a much bigger part in Whincup's championship, and not just last Sunday.
Old 22 Dec 2017, 12:15 (Ref:3788687)   #255
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to dredge this up but I just rewatched Newcastle and it is such an awesome bloody track. I think maybe my general hatred of street circuits/championship drama clouded my initial viewing but after seeing it again I'm really starting to appreciate it.

I'm happy to stick the boot in when it suits so it's only right to give credit where it's due. Amazing job to all involved. The layout was just wild and I felt still produced good racing, better than some permanent facilities. The panning shots were stunning. I've been to Newcastle a lot through work and I just never saw it as a beautiful city, boy has that opinion changed.

Massive undertaking is an understatement. And who ever had the foresight/balls to build a mini Monaco/Baku style circuit deserves a medal. What a risk, but jesus did it work
Old 3 Jul 2018, 06:31 (Ref:3834396)   #256
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting report in the Newcastle Herald this morning regarding questions being raised in regards to the announced crowds and EIA following the 2017 Newcastle Street race.

Quote:
The figures show the attendance figure included 23,988 tickets issued to residents and 6377 to business owners and employees. It also included an allowance of 25,299 “internal tickets” and 14,837 passes for race team members, Supercars staff, media workers, race officials, contractors, merchandise sellers and food vendors.

The Supercars figures contained in the GIPA release show Ticketek sales, excluding 8597 corporate tickets, totalled 100,066 across three days.

The GIPA figures show Supercars multiplied by three many categories of tickets, including 7996 issued to residents and 7633 for sponsors, without knowing whether these people attended the event on all three days, if at all.
Quote:
The Herald has been told of one single, elderly resident who received eight tickets for each day but left Newcastle over the race weekend. It appears, by Supercars’ reckoning, she would have been counted as attending 24 times.
https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5...-on-the-money/
Old 3 Jul 2018, 10:41 (Ref:3834415)   #257
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes yes let us ban the Newcastle race too
Plenty of facebook sites in the negative
About this and anything to do with motorsport

Old 3 Jul 2018, 13:23 (Ref:3834436)   #258
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Yes yes let us ban the Newcastle race too
Plenty of facebook sites in the negative
About this and anything to do with motorsport

Nothing wrong with a balanced view

Were you complaining when members posted in this thread lauding the (perhaps inflated?) crowd figures?
Old 4 Jul 2018, 00:02 (Ref:3834498)   #259
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Interesting report in the Newcastle Herald this morning regarding questions being raised in regards to the announced crowds and EIA following the 2017 Newcastle Street race.
https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5...-on-the-money/
Other quote from the article:
Quote:
Destination NSW is satisfied the event is on track to meet its targets for visitor numbers and spending.

The government agency told the Newcastle Herald that more than 20,500 domestic and international visitors had travelled “specifically to attend the 2017 Newcastle 500”.

“In total, these visitors spent over $12.5 million during their visit, with about 85 per cent spent in Newcastle and the wider Hunter region,” a spokesperson said.

“These results confirm the event is on track to reach the projected visitation and economic impact targets of 81,000 overnight visitors and $57 million in visitor spend over five years.”

Destination NSW said it had arrived at the figures via face-to-face interviews in the event precinct, online surveys and postcode data from ticketing agencies and airlines.
Plus this:
Quote:
A Supercars spokesman said all resident tickets had been counted because people had to apply for them, pick them up in person and sign for them. He said the way Supercars had arrived at the attendance total was consistent with how crowds at other sporting events were measured.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 11:29 (Ref:3834582)   #260
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Nothing wrong with a balanced view

Were you complaining when members posted in this thread lauding the (perhaps inflated?) crowd figures?
I speak for a party of one when I say crowd figures are not anywhere near as interesting as actual on track motor racing.

Sorry if that level of sensibility appears out of place mid bash...
Old 4 Jul 2018, 12:30 (Ref:3834601)   #261
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting on track racing doesn't pay the bills and guarantee an events' continuation. Year 1 was always going to be well attended, like most of the other street race experiments over the years. Years 3 and 4 will be the pivotal years, IMO.

Are you saying the event is being 'bashed' by the Newcastle Herald, they're the ones that printed the story?

Supercars crowd measuring methods have been called into question before; events like Homebush, Canberra, Hamilton...
Old 5 Jul 2018, 02:59 (Ref:3834731)   #262
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Im all for the Newcastle event (I'm actually planning on attending this year) but I would like to see more accountability for Supercars crowd measuring. Its been a running theme for many years. The emails between Destination NSW and Supercars in the Herald article are not a good look.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 14:03 (Ref:3834810)   #263
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
The emails between Destination NSW and Supercars in the Herald article are not a good look.
That was a concern. Most worrying was the attempt to avoid the questions and divert around departments. Surely thats setting off alarm bells
Old 5 Jul 2018, 22:21 (Ref:3834899)   #264
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
A Supercars media statement on the evening of the Sunday race finale on November 26 last year said “more than 180,000 people” had come “through the turnstiles”, although a Supercars representative told the Newcastle Herald at the time that the crowd total was based on “purely ticket sales, nothing to do with entry or exit”.
Priceless.