Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 31 Aug 2005, 04:34 (Ref:1395141)   #26
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
cmk - going to Mosport?
Yes, my dad and I will probably spend the 3 days down at Moss with some quick tours of the paddock. Good way to spend the last weekend before moving back to school!

Shame PCM seems to have withdrawn though.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 05:44 (Ref:1395168)   #27
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"Porsche reliability problems", Isn't that a oxymoron like "army inteligence".
ha ha I tought I'll never see this day
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1395490)   #28
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After reading the testing rules again.

http://www.imsaracing.net/2003/compe...ACodeJUN05.pdf

Start at page 27

Assuming the rules stay the same, Porsche/Penske would be considered a full time entrant for 2006 and therefore the rules would apply to them after they entered one event in 2005. However, if they do not enter an event in 2005, they can test all the way up to the 12 Hours of Sebring without restriction.

Therefore I now believe they will skip Laguna Seca too and just concentrate on getting the car ready for 2006.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1395493)   #29
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Pity.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1395525)   #30
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Louis, you're singing my tune.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 31 Aug 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1395560)   #31
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisTheShark
After reading the testing rules again.

http://www.imsaracing.net/2003/compe...ACodeJUN05.pdf

Start at page 27

Assuming the rules stay the same, Porsche/Penske would be considered a full time entrant for 2006 and therefore the rules would apply to them after they entered one event in 2005. However, if they do not enter an event in 2005, they can test all the way up to the 12 Hours of Sebring without restriction.

Therefore I now believe they will skip Laguna Seca too and just concentrate on getting the car ready for 2006.
That would be my original thinking and I really don't blame Porsche for making such a decision... if I were in the same position I would absolutely do the same thing.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1395767)   #32
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Shame PCM seems to have withdrawn though.
Done for the season. Maybe done with the ALMS.

Paul_Collins has an interview with them at Dailysportscar.

It also seems unlikely that Creation will make PLM.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 19:42 (Ref:1395793)   #33
awegrzyn
Racer

awegrzyn has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
When I wrote ALMS is done you people jumped on me, but if you knew the inside info you would reconsider.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1395821)   #34
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by awegrzyn
When I wrote ALMS is done you people jumped on me, but if you knew the inside info you would reconsider.
Your post made it appear as though Porsche withdrawing from PLM would be the end of the ALMS. Of course that is not the case.

That is why people jumped on you.

That you possess some "inside info" that leads you to believe that the ALMS, is in trouble is something completely different. It would no doubt be an interesting phone conversation.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1395840)   #35
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Done for the season. Maybe done with the ALMS.

Paul_Collins has an interview with them at Dailysportscar.

It also seems unlikely that Creation will make PLM.
Yes, I just read that. It is a shame, but in some ways they seem to have been pipe-dreaming. I don't see where, in any of P&M's prior actions or in the information made public by the privateer teams that have looked into C5-Rs, they got the idea that a C6-R could be made available to them next year. While I don't necessarily agree with GM's practice concerning the paucity of privateer Vettes, I think I understand at least some of it.

Part of me just wishes that they could see how important the general health of the ACO-related series are to their marketing efforts for Corvette.

EDIT: His choice of weapon for next year is about as snore-worthy as it can get though. That particular class is beginning to look more and more like spec-racing every day.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 21:02 (Ref:1395875)   #36
awegrzyn
Racer

Porsche is very smart and they know what they are doing by not running in ALMS for now.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1395877)   #37
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Yes, I just read that. It is a shame, but in some ways they seem to have been pipe-dreaming. I don't see where, in any of P&M's prior actions or in the information made public by the privateer teams that have looked into C5-Rs, they got the idea that a C6-R could be made available to them next year.
Since you're a subscriber, I suggest you go through the archives to find my initial article on the team from Feb. 11.

"The three-year plan includes looking at a Le Mans entry in 2006, hopefully running the C6.R."

This was always part of what they believed. Perhaps erronously, but it was never flat out denied until Road America.

As to next year, well, the deposit was made because it was the only way to keep that door open; it does not close any others.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 31 Aug 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1395934)   #38
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Thats crap news about PCM . I think something can be done about this , like making it mandatory for constructors to supply customer chassis . That would certainly bolster any series .
Old 31 Aug 2005, 22:37 (Ref:1395957)   #39
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CMK-His weapon of choice next year will probably bring more success than he has seen all year. His new weapon will have great factory support and 19 other proven examples running. That series had 41 total cars of 16 different types, that is more variety than some series have numbers...say what ever you want, hate however you want...it will be hard to ignore soon.

Thats IF they even decide to go, but thats ok there are other teams jumping ship too.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1395968)   #40
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If someone mentions Shaw chassis, I'm going to scream...
Old 31 Aug 2005, 23:48 (Ref:1395997)   #41
awegrzyn
Racer

"If someone mentions Shaw chassis, I'm going to scream..."

That Shaw deal was another fake b.s. PR.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 04:15 (Ref:1396058)   #42
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Since you're a subscriber, I suggest you go through the archives to find my initial article on the team from Feb. 11.
I remember looking at that article at the time and wondering where, with all the headaches both PCM/Mid-America and GLPK-Carsport were getting over the particulars of the chassis being made available to them, this sudden clarity of future planning from GM/P&M came from.

I certainly don't think Corvette Racing isn't due blame here, they haven't really handled privateer cars terribly well. I just would've been a lot more pessimistic than I guess Tyler was. It's a shame, too, he seemed really motivated to be in the sportscar arena and we need people like that. I'm glad he's staying in the game, and I understand the foot-in-the-door mentality of the downpayment. I don't blame him for keeping his business solid, I'd just love to see PCM in the ALMS.

billnchristy: yadda-yadda, you can get down off the high horse now. I watch both GARRA and the ALMS for different reasons, ALMS because I like the technology and GARRA because I enjoy seeing certain drivers in any car. I readily pick on the ALMS's faults (in my eyes), and I was doing the same for what I perceive to be GARRA's.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 05:26 (Ref:1396085)   #43
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy
CMK-His weapon of choice next year will probably bring more success than he has seen all year. His new weapon will have great factory support and 19 other proven examples running. That series had 41 total cars of 16 different types, that is more variety than some series have numbers...say what ever you want, hate however you want...it will be hard to ignore soon.

Thats IF they even decide to go, but thats ok there are other teams jumping ship too.
It's amazing how some people don't realize how badly the France family is destroying American "sportscar" racing through its control of GARRA and the path that GARRA is currently on...

I hope you enjoy NASCAR racing right now billnchristy as that is what you are going to see more and more of with GARRA; the signs are there, just make sure you pay attention to them. But then again, NASCAR has already sucked the life out of motorsports in the US so maybe I'm just late in accepting the inevitable.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 09:20 (Ref:1396213)   #44
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
It's amazing how some people don't realize how badly the France family is destroying American "sportscar" racing through its control of GARRA and the path that GARRA is currently on...
Perhaps you can explain something to me. If GA racing is such a terrible thing how come so many of the top sportscar drivers are involved in it? Surely if it was killing off sportscar racing they wouldn't want to be any way involved for fear of their reputations.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 09:29 (Ref:1396218)   #45
FCYTravis
Racer

United States
Bloomington, Indiana
FCYTravis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait, it's Grand-Am's fault? Grand-Am is "destroying American sports car racing?"

I didn't know it was Grand-Am that forced Don Panoz to make an organization 3000 miles across the pond high lord and master of IMSA.

I didn't know it was Grand-Am that put a gun to Audi's head, preventing them from building and selling R8s to privateer teams.

I didn't think Grand-Am had the power to ensure that nobody ever built a proper LMP900/P1 for the privateer.

I never fathomed that it could be Grand-Am's fault that the ALMS spent years trying to chase big factory bucks while completely ignoring the plight of its privateer teams who were droning around as Audi lap traffic.

IMSA/ALMS is doing a spectacular job of deconstructing itself without any help whatsoever from Grand-Am. All GARRA's doing is picking up the pieces.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1396446)   #46
Spiteful
Racer

Belgium
Spiteful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can someone please enlighten me about this PCM thing, as I am not a DSC subscriber?
Old 1 Sep 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1396452)   #47
Tom V
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Tom V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocmonster7
Perhaps you can explain something to me. If GA racing is such a terrible thing how come so many of the top sportscar drivers are involved in it? Surely if it was killing off sportscar racing they wouldn't want to be any way involved for fear of their reputations.
$$$$$ A lot of these big names get paid for racing in Grandam.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1396456)   #48
Tom V
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiteful
Can someone please enlighten me about this PCM thing, as I am not a DSC subscriber?
PCM have withdrawn from the ALMS because they believe they didn't get the support GM promised them.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1396463)   #49
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiteful
You dont need to be a DSC subscriber but it does help, see this article for more details on the story. Hope that helps.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 14:37 (Ref:1396466)   #50
Tom V
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCYTravis

IMSA/ALMS is doing a spectacular job of deconstructing itself without any help whatsoever from Grand-Am. All GARRA's doing is picking up the pieces.
Oh really? All GARRA's doing is creating rules that allows cheap spec cars being raced under the "sportscar racing" banner. While these cars have nothing to do with sportscar racing.

If ALMS would run DP's next year they could also easily fill their grids.