Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Aug 2022, 09:55 (Ref:4122843)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Round Eight, Thruxton 27-28 Aug, Races 22,23&24

The eighth meeting of the 2022 KwikFit BTCC season sees the second of two visits to Thruxton.

A quick glance of the site and it is easily identified that this track began life as an airfield, with the circuit following what was essentially the airfield perimeter track. The site is also the location of the BARC HQ.

(thruxtonracing.co.uk) Like many race circuits Thruxton was originally a wartime airfield. Commissioned in 1941 the airfield was host to both the RAF and USAF and played a major part in the D-Day landings as a base for troop carrying aircraft and gliders. Declared surplus to requirements in 1946, motorsport started in 1950 with motor bikes on a track comprising both the runways and perimeter roads.

Cars joined the bikes in 1952 for only one year as the deteriorating wartime tarmac was breaking up badly. Amazingly, bikes continued racing until 1965, but by then plans were under way to redevelop the site and motor racing returned on a new track in 1968. The new layout ignored the old runways and followed the lines of the perimeter road with the inclusion of the chicane and further round the track three tight corners in succession: Campbell, Cobb, and Segrave, commonly referred to as the Complex.

Even with these tight corners Thruxton is the fastest race circuit in the UK, with Formula Renaults averaging well over 100mph in race conditions. Thruxton soon gained a reputation as a real drivers’ circuit with its seemingly never-ending high-speed corners around the back of the track where success required total commitment.

Thruxton's fame grew from the Easter Monday Formula 2 meetings where Formula 1 drivers of the day battled with up and coming talent. Household names like Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart and Jochen Rindt all thrilled the crowds in the early races. Since then Thruxton has seen all our recent Formula 1 drivers race regularly at the track at some time in their career.

In 1993 Damon Hill, Formula 1 World Champion, drove a demonstration run in the Williams FW15C, recording an incredible 57.6 second lap of the 2.4 mile circuit, an average speed of 147.25mph.
It is now the high speed rounds of the British Touring car championship and Superbikes that regularly bring in capacity crowds. If you follow these series you may have seen Thruxton on the television or even lapped the circuit on the Playstation Touring Car game, but as always there is nothing like doing it for real.

Thruxton first appeared as a BTCC [BSCC] circuit for the 1968 season, winners that day were Chris Craft (Class A), Graham Janzen (Class B), Frank Gardner (Class C) and Brian Muir (Class D). Since the cars began to run under NGTC regulations, the track has seen a good return for FWD cars, particularly Hondas. From the 2011 season onwards, there have now been 42 winners; of these only 8 wins have been taken by RWD cars, and of these, five were in race-3 reverse grids. At the same time, 21 wins have been taken by Hondas, with Cook picking up nine of those wins followed by Shedden with six. Overall, including pre-NGTC regs, Shedden has seven wins when you include his 2006 win in an Integra.

Having picked up two wins early in the season, this must be Cook’s last chance to get his title ambitions back on track. The heat last time out at Snetterton played into the RWD hands, and so the FWD contenders will be hoping for lower temperatures. If the BTC Honda can perform as well as last time at Thruxton – could this be the occasion we see Plato inch closer to that magic 100 figure?

The full timetable is currently TBC:

Early weather forecast shows that Saturday is forecast to be 18deg with a 25% chance of rain.

Sunday 23deg and 20% chance of rain in the afternoon.

As we enter the final few rounds, the respective championships show that:
Realistically, the main championship is a five-way contest. Cook looks to be slightly adrift of the bunch, but a repeat of his early season results at Thruxton puts him back in the frame. The intra-team rivalry at BMW could see the drivers taking points off each other if the conditions suit the RWD. Will there be a point when one is told to support the challenge of the other?
DriverPoints
Turkington282
Ingram267
Hill258
Sutton257
Cook210

BMW look to have a strong lead in the Manufacturers’. The rivals need to score well with both cars is they are to mount a challenge.
Manufacturer/ConstructorPoints
BMW584
EXCELER8497
Motorbase480

The Teams’ Championship is close, with only a handful of points separating the top three.
TeamPoints
Team BMW403
Bristol Street with EXCELER8 TradePriceCars.com394
NAPA Racing UK364

The Independents Trophy looks to be a four-way contest, but Thompson will need to get strong results to stay in the hunt. The Car Gods pair’s recent form has seen them move close to catching Cook.
DriverPoints
Cook347
Morgan292
Gamble257
Thompson243

The Independents Teams is currently headed by Rich Energy BTC Racing, followed by Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport.
TeamPoints
Rich Energy BTC Racing372
Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport361

The Jack Sears Trophy seems to have settled into a two-horse race between Thompson and Gamble, with Hand and Osborne retaining an outside chance of success
DriverPoints
Thompson333
Gamble331
Hand268
Osborne240

Much criticism has been levelled at Rich Energy and HARD. in recent times. But between them they are in contention for 3 and possibly 4 of the trophies on offer. Are the results going to speak for them at the end of the season?
Old 15 Aug 2022, 13:22 (Ref:4122856)   #2
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
safe to say this is Cookie's last chance, if he does't do really well here he is out of title race

anyone noticed now that Turkington has really strong teammate again in Hill it seems he performs much better again ? just like in the Jordan days
Old 15 Aug 2022, 20:39 (Ref:4122898)   #3
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite interesting how the second Thruxton visit will differ from the first one in terms of teams and drivers' performance. One of the key questions is - will Cook find his mojo back and fare similarly to the first Thruxton event or will this be a confirmation of a slope in BTC's performance?
Old 15 Aug 2022, 21:02 (Ref:4122899)   #4
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the weather will decide the champion. If it continues to be hot and dry, advantage BMWs. If things get colder and wetter, advantage Ingram and Sutton.
Old 16 Aug 2022, 03:27 (Ref:4122916)   #5
SR18
Rookie

SR18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
safe to say this is Cookie's last chance, if he does't do really well here he is out of title race

anyone noticed now that Turkington has really strong teammate again in Hill it seems he performs much better again ? just like in the Jordan days
Absolutely. In particular in Qualifying, Hill is much stronger than Jordan has been to Colin.
Old 16 Aug 2022, 08:42 (Ref:4122922)   #6
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I have to say Hill's surprised me positively. I mean, I've always rated him highly and knew he's a very talented driver but in the beginning of the season when he made a few unforced errors and then started dropping in points behind Top 3, I thought he won't be consistent enough to really challenge Turkington. Whereas now it looks like a proper four-way title fight that Hill is part of.
Old 16 Aug 2022, 08:52 (Ref:4122923)   #7
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
I think the weather will decide the champion. If it continues to be hot and dry, advantage BMWs. If things get colder and wetter, advantage Ingram and Sutton.
I definitely agree - but I also think that if the temperature does get down significantly, it will bring the BTC Honda back into contention too.

From anecdotal comments - it seems like the M-Sport engine is currently very reactive to temperature changes, and does not like high ambient temperatures.

Cook's best results have come when the temperature has been at 15deg or lower, so they will probably be hoping the cloud builds over the next couple of weeks.

If the temperature does get down - I think this could be the chance for Plato to chalk win 98 on the board.
Old 16 Aug 2022, 10:11 (Ref:4122928)   #8
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Timetable (v1):

TimeActivityChampionshipLaps

Saturday, August 27   
09.00 – 09.20 Qualifying ROKiT F4 British Championship 
09.30 – 10.10 Free Practice Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 
10.30 – 10.45 Qualifying Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship 
10.55 – 11.25 Qualifying The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE Trophy 
11.35 – 11.55 Qualifying Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 
12.05 – 12.45 Free Practice Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 
12.45 – 13.35 Lunch Break  
13.35 Race ROKiT F4 British Championship 20 mins
14.10 Race Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship 15 mins
14.45 – 15.15 Qualifying Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 
15.25 – 15.55 Qualifying Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 
16.10 Race The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE Trophy 20 mins
16.45 Race Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 15 mins
17.15 Race ROKiT F4 British Championship 20 mins
17.50 Race Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship 20 mins

Sunday, August 28   
10.00 – 10.30 BTCC Pit Lane Walkabout / Autograph Session  
10.50Race Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 20
11.30 BTCC Pit Lane Opens  
11.45Race Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 16
12.25Race Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 20 mins
13.00Race The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE Trophy 20 mins
13.25 – 13.45 Marshals’ / Lunch Break  
13.45Race Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship 20 mins
14.20 BTCC Pit Lane Opens  
14.35Race Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 16
15.15Race ROKiT F4 British Championship 20 mins
15.50Race Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 20
16.30Race Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 20 mins
17.05 BTCC Pit Lane Opens  
17.20Race Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 16
17.55Race The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE Trophy 20 mins
Old 16 Aug 2022, 10:43 (Ref:4122931)   #9
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So an earlier start, hopefully with some pre-show build up, and two Mini races. Thumbs up!
Old 16 Aug 2022, 14:06 (Ref:4122958)   #10
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Evantra has said, we should hopefully get a more 'normal' show on ITV4 for Thruxton. Looks like the possibility for 10 live races + maybe highlights of the 1st Porsche race during the lunch break.

Its good that there are two MINI Trophy races on the Sunday, being that bit slower than the JCWs we should get some very good slipstreaming races.
I'd be interested to see the lap times of the new 992-spec Porsche Carrera Cup cars and the Ginetta G56s on their first ever visit to Thruxton. I reckon we might get a fair amount of lapping/large field spread given the speed differential between Pros and Ams in Carrera Cup and between the G56 and G55.

Last edited by SSmith; 16 Aug 2022 at 14:08. Reason: Correction - poor counting skills first time around!
Old 16 Aug 2022, 14:39 (Ref:4122962)   #11
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
As Evantra has said, we should hopefully get a more 'normal' show on ITV4 for Thruxton. Looks like the possibility for 10 live races + maybe highlights of the 1st Porsche race during the lunch break.

Its good that there are two MINI Trophy races on the Sunday, being that bit slower than the JCWs we should get some very good slipstreaming races.
I'd be interested to see the lap times of the new 992-spec Porsche Carrera Cup cars and the Ginetta G56s on their first ever visit to Thruxton. I reckon we might get a fair amount of lapping/large field spread given the speed differential between Pros and Ams in Carrera Cup and between the G56 and G55.
Ah, you just reminded me that they're the crashy Minis, not the proper ones. Fun to watch, but I find them too amateur for the BTCC package really. Would be good to get the Sevens back, they put on a good show at Thruxton a few years ago,
Old 16 Aug 2022, 15:07 (Ref:4122963)   #12
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I definitely agree - but I also think that if the temperature does get down significantly, it will bring the BTC Honda back into contention too.

From anecdotal comments - it seems like the M-Sport engine is currently very reactive to temperature changes, and does not like high ambient temperatures.

Cook's best results have come when the temperature has been at 15deg or lower, so they will probably be hoping the cloud builds over the next couple of weeks.

If the temperature does get down - I think this could be the chance for Plato to chalk win 98 on the board.
Cook nowhere and yet Plato and the Toyota with same engine do OK?
Old 16 Aug 2022, 15:27 (Ref:4122964)   #13
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Ah, you just reminded me that they're the crashy Minis, not the proper ones. Fun to watch, but I find them too amateur for the BTCC package really. Would be good to get the Sevens back, they put on a good show at Thruxton a few years ago,
I find the Trophy races a little bit 'hit-and-miss', some great racing marred by red flags and rolls. I think I might have missed their televised race at Croft this year, I can't remember it at all!

I'd also love to see the Se7ens again, there are some great drivers in that series and the racing was fab at Thruxton in 2020.

In the 3 seasons of JCWs on the TOCA bill, they've never gone to Thruxton for some reason (safety? tyres? budgets?).
Old 16 Aug 2022, 15:50 (Ref:4122966)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Cook nowhere and yet Plato and the Toyota with same engine do OK?
True - Plato himself admitted that he felt his performance over the weekend was at the peak of what he could produce. And also stated that he had no option to attack cars in front, because the temperatures would go up for the engine. His results benefited from having quick cars in front, that he could let pull away and concentrate on putting pace in with clean air.

The FK8 has always struggled with temps, whether that is running the Neil Brown, Swindon or M-Sport engine. The M-Sport engine seems to compound this issue though as we have gone through the summer months.

As I said - it's anecdotal at the moment. It might just be coincidence, but Cook's results dropped off after Thruxton as the ambient began to rise. It's only speculation, but there does seem to be a correlation between higher temperatures and lower performance.

The sample size is too small to draw any real conclusions, with Collard and Plato only really having a handful of decent results all season.

The only thing that can be certain is that in the championship, Cook is the highest M-Sport driver - 72 points off the leader despite 4 wins early in the season.
Butcher is the only other driver in the top 13 - 98 points off the leader in 6th.

If it is not the engine - what do you suggest might be behind Cook's slide down the table?
Old 16 Aug 2022, 16:11 (Ref:4122970)   #15
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
maybe highlights of the 1st Porsche race durinAg the lunch break.
Lunch break immediately after the Mini race? Yeah, good luck with that
Old 16 Aug 2022, 18:24 (Ref:4122980)   #16
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
True - Plato himself admitted that he felt his performance over the weekend was at the peak of what he could produce. And also stated that he had no option to attack cars in front, because the temperatures would go up for the engine. His results benefited from having quick cars in front, that he could let pull away and concentrate on putting pace in with clean air.

The FK8 has always struggled with temps, whether that is running the Neil Brown, Swindon or M-Sport engine. The M-Sport engine seems to compound this issue though as we have gone through the summer months.

As I said - it's anecdotal at the moment. It might just be coincidence, but Cook's results dropped off after Thruxton as the ambient began to rise. It's only speculation, but there does seem to be a correlation between higher temperatures and lower performance.

The sample size is too small to draw any real conclusions, with Collard and Plato only really having a handful of decent results all season.

The only thing that can be certain is that in the championship, Cook is the highest M-Sport driver - 72 points off the leader despite 4 wins early in the season.
Butcher is the only other driver in the top 13 - 98 points off the leader in 6th.

If it is not the engine - what do you suggest might be behind Cook's slide down the table?
I DONT KNOW JUST SAYING THATS ALL. One can take Plato’s engine comments with a pinch of salt. His default position is always everyone else has better engines. As far as I can tell everybody was racing in the same heat - fair play to Plato he had a good weekend
Old 16 Aug 2022, 20:18 (Ref:4122983)   #17
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
it might be convenient for him to blame the engine but obvioulsy there must be other factors

the two toyotas and even the cupra (thompson) has outperformed cook in the races or qualifying since thruxton with that same msport engine and at the weekend plato comprehensively outperformed him all weekend with the exact same car and engine
Old 16 Aug 2022, 20:54 (Ref:4122985)   #18
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
it might be convenient for him to blame the engine but obvioulsy there must be other factors

the two toyotas and even the cupra (thompson) has outperformed cook in the races or qualifying since thruxton with that same msport engine and at the weekend plato comprehensively outperformed him all weekend with the exact same car and engine
I think the other factors are that he has gone into each weekend since Thruxton with limited hybrid available, particularly compared to other M-Sport cars, but has still managed two R3 podiums and a points finish in all but one race.

His decline from the top of the championship has (IMO) made his troubles more apparent. Butcher aside, I think (without checking) that he is still the second highest points scoring M-Sport driver since Thruxton.
Old 17 Aug 2022, 07:19 (Ref:4123001)   #19
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is likely there are several factors at play. The cooling package design (and associated bodywork/aero feeding it) is a balance between drag and cooling performance. BTC might have tried to reduce the drag but are seeing the trade off (more so when mid-pack) that it can't handle the higher temps quite as well as others.
Old 17 Aug 2022, 08:15 (Ref:4123004)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Cook really has looked out of sorts since the summer break. It's a mystery why. Whether it's the car, something mechanical or something within himself is hard to tell. Maybe it is a combination of things

Anyway our second meeting at Thruxton, which will go back to one meeting next year with the introduction of a round on the Donington long circuit
Old 17 Aug 2022, 08:37 (Ref:4123015)   #21
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Lunch break immediately after the Mini race? Yeah, good luck with that
The timetable was probably created with MINI clean-up times in mind.

To be serious for a moment, I hope that we don't see any MINI Trophy rolls or nasty shunts this weekend like we've had the past few times at Thruxton. Its optimistic, but I'm hopeful.
Old 17 Aug 2022, 09:42 (Ref:4123020)   #22
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
It is likely there are several factors at play. The cooling package design (and associated bodywork/aero feeding it) is a balance between drag and cooling performance. BTC might have tried to reduce the drag but are seeing the trade off (more so when mid-pack) that it can't handle the higher temps quite as well as others.
IIRC - BTC are limited in what they can do to the front aero because the design was homologated by Team Dynamics?

The issues with running in higher temperatures date back to when the FK8 was first introduced. BTC and Team Dynamics drivers have routinely talked about the temperature issues, particularly when running in the pack.

Out of interest - a lot has been made about Cook having dropped off. If looked at from the opposite angle - should we be asking why Butcher was struggling in the early rounds instead?

When you compare the results across the season for the leading M-Sport drivers, you can see that Cook's scores have plateaued a bit, with Butcher performing better in the latter part of the season - but only Plato and Collard show a recent upturn.

Season long, most M-Sport drivers follow the same trend.

In the first nine rounds, Cook had two surges around rounds 4-5 and 8-9 compared to other M-Sport drivers.

In the latest twelve rounds, Butcher has been the strongest performer. But Cook's results are broadly following the same trend as other M-Sport drivers. Only Plato and Collard deviate from the trend, based on Snetterton only.

As previously mentioned - I think Cook's results are highlighted by the position he is/was in the championship. But compared to other M-Sport drivers he is still performing well.
Attached Thumbnails
Season.png   First Nine.png   Last Twelve.png  

Old 17 Aug 2022, 12:25 (Ref:4123038)   #23
SSmith
Veteran

Dan Lloyd still has an approx. £50k deficit in his budget and could miss the final two rounds.

Dan Lloyd quoted in Autosport "It was fantastic to bounce back from what happened at Oulton Park with the double win at Croft, but I think it might have given the false impression that we were okay in terms of being able to complete the season," Lloyd said.

"Unfortunately that couldn’t be further from the truth and as it stands, there is a genuine possibility that Thruxton [27-28 August] will be my final races of the campaign.

"Although we’ve been able to bring some fantastic new partners onboard since the accident, they were deals that I’d been working on for some time. I’m hugely grateful that they decided to back me - and that my existing partners have been so understanding of the situation - but the hard facts are that we are still around £50,000 short of being able to settle the repair bill and take part in the final two rounds."

It would be a real shame if he can't see out the season.
Old 17 Aug 2022, 12:48 (Ref:4123042)   #24
Evantra
Veteran

England
Yeah not looking good, hope he can attract a few more sponsors. He does not have a good track record of finishing BTCC seasons!

I guess Gornall would be top of the list to replace him.
Old 17 Aug 2022, 12:57 (Ref:4123044)   #25
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I guess Gornall would be top of the list to replace him.
I'd agree that Gornall would seem the obvious candidate. I imagine the question comes down to whether he would bring budget that Lloyd is not able to muster up?

If the team need to enter a driver just to retain the TBL - would Gornall offer more to the team than keeping Lloyd in the seat?