Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Aug 2022, 08:19 (Ref:4124261)   #201
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbeard View Post
But he drives a BMW, it's Ash that drives the 4rd
Old 30 Aug 2022, 08:25 (Ref:4124265)   #202
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Most of the lap time at Thruxton comes mid-corner, where FWD has an advantage.
Forgive me for quoting your point, but traditionally RWD had always been better than FWD mid-corner...?
Old 30 Aug 2022, 08:41 (Ref:4124268)   #203
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Did anyone catch what happened with Ash Hand in race one? It looked to me as though he made contact with Ricky Collard coming towards the chicane while running around tenth place and went sideways across the chicane to end up in fifth, and was allowed to keep that position despite having gained a significant advantage from cutting the chicane (albeit out of control). Did he get any kind of penalty for this, or has it been mentioned by any of the drivers at all?
Old 30 Aug 2022, 09:58 (Ref:4124275)   #204
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbeard View Post
But he drives a BMW, it's Ash that drives the 4rd
well spotted
Old 30 Aug 2022, 10:05 (Ref:4124276)   #205
Jay87
Rookie

Jay87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Did anyone catch what happened with Ash Hand in race one? It looked to me as though he made contact with Ricky Collard coming towards the chicane while running around tenth place and went sideways across the chicane to end up in fifth, and was allowed to keep that position despite having gained a significant advantage from cutting the chicane (albeit out of control). Did he get any kind of penalty for this, or has it been mentioned by any of the drivers at all?
I thought it was Crees that had the contract with collard and cut the chicane. Could be wrong but I thought hand was further in front when that happened
Old 30 Aug 2022, 10:09 (Ref:4124277)   #206
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Most of the lap time at Thruxton comes mid-corner, where FWD has an advantage.
What just as the understeer kick in? Every day is a school day
Old 30 Aug 2022, 11:14 (Ref:4124286)   #207
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Forgive me for quoting your point, but traditionally RWD had always been better than FWD mid-corner...?
Andy Jordan in 2017 described it as being able to apply throttle corrections mid corner in a FWD car, that he couldn't in a RWD. He said that in RWD, he'd have to wait longer to get on the throttle or he would lose the rear.
Old 30 Aug 2022, 15:21 (Ref:4124319)   #208
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's nice to see those Fords on the pace at last. Well done to Dan Cam. I can't help but wonder how Mat Jackson would do if you put him in one now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFSM View Post
Wish both Mike and Colin a speedy recovery.
Same here.
Old 31 Aug 2022, 10:57 (Ref:4124375)   #209
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
No because collard drove into the side of him because that's all he's good at.
Old 4 Sep 2022, 16:50 (Ref:4124814)   #210
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe some changes with Hybrid for Silverstone?
1) given the track is very short
2) with just two real braking points maybe issues to recharge it ?
Old 4 Sep 2022, 19:55 (Ref:4124841)   #211
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Two braking points ? Same as Thruxton?
Old 4 Sep 2022, 20:59 (Ref:4124861)   #212
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Two braking points ? Same as Thruxton?
porsche962fan has a valid point here.

Yes, Thruxton and Silverstone National both have two 'real' braking points. The difference though is the length of both the braking distances and the race.

The current BTCC hybrid system means that the cars might not (normally) generate enough charge under braking to match a full race deployment - and the battery will be depleted at the end of the race. With this in mind, when you compare the demands of Thruxton and Silverstone National, they are very different.

First of all - some specs:
The hybrid system holds a charge of 1.5 kWh.
The hybrid deployment peaks at 30kW.

At Thruxton, the maximum deployment over a full race is 1.875 kWh - so the system only needs to generate 0.375 kWh during the race to last a full distance. The circuit design means that, particularly into the chicane, the level of deceleration is high and so regeneration is easily achieved.

At Silverstone National, the maximum deployment over a full race is 2.625 kWh - so the system needs to generate 1.125 kWh during the race. The braking distances are shorter at Silverstone National, so there is a realistic chance that the system might not be able to fully regenerate during the race.
Old 4 Sep 2022, 22:01 (Ref:4124877)   #213
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If the lap is shorter those braking points come round more often. Doesn’t that help. How many laps is each race at each circuit? So how many brakes per race. That is more critical if the rule is how much per race rather than per lap.

Excuse my ignorance. But how do they decide the maximum deployment over the race?
And how do the drivers manage when it is deployed?
Old 4 Sep 2022, 22:23 (Ref:4124883)   #214
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
If the lap is shorter those braking points come round more often. Doesn’t that help. How many laps is each race at each circuit? So how many brakes per race. That is more critical if the rule is how much per race rather than per lap.

Excuse my ignorance. But how do they decide the maximum deployment over the race?
And how do the drivers manage when it is deployed?
I'll try and answer each point in order.

If the lap is shorter those braking points come round more often. Doesn’t that help. - Yes, true. The braking does occur more often with more laps. The issue is that the (pre-season) allowance was set at 15 seconds per lap, regardless of lap length. This was recognised when they got to Brands Indy earlier in the year, and the deployment was capped at 10 seconds per lap for Brands Indy, Knockhill and Silverstone National. The length of time on brakes is much more at Thruxton (even with only two zones) though, so even with less laps they still brake more over the 20 minute race (time is another factor to consider).

How many laps is each race at each circuit? So how many brakes per race.
Ignoring Safety Cars (during which they can't deploy anyway) the lap count is 16 laps for Thruxton and 22 laps for Silverstone. So 32 and 44 braking zones respectively.

But how do they decide the maximum deployment over the race? - the amount of laps that hybrid is available (if drivers are not subject to HEMS balance) is race distance minus one. So 15 laps at Thruxton and 21 laps at Silverstone. The deployment rate is 30kW, for a maximum of 15 seconds per lap.

I gave slightly incorrect figures earlier. 15 laps of 15 seconds (225 seconds total) at Thruxton equates to a total of 1.875 kWh over the race distance (if they have 15 laps under green flag). But with the amendment made earlier this season, the deployment is 21 laps of 10 seconds at Silverstone (210 seconds) so the actual deployment is 1.749999 kWh.

My initial post was based on the full 15 seconds being available (the pre-season figures) but actually the amount of hybrid required at Silverstone is less then Thruxton after the in-season adjustment referred to earlier.

So - porsche962fan has a valid point:

but this has already been addressed with the adjustment made at the Brands Indy round - so the changes have already been made.

I think in summary - Silverstone (and all short BTCC tracks) require a different approach to hybrid deployment. But this has already been recognised by TOCA and adjustments to the allocation have been made.

To answer the final point - And how do the drivers manage when it is deployed? - the driver can use it whenever they are above a certain speed and have full traction, for a maximum of 15 seconds (10 seconds at Silverstone, Knockhill and Brands Indy) per lap. Except for the first lap of the race, and first lap after a safety car.