Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 May 2004, 21:40 (Ref:987606)   #1
1 Lotus
Rookie

1 Lotus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Challenges to Michael????

This is not to start a "who's the best" thread, but from a different perspective, I ask a question.

Aside from Damon and Mika, who ever really duked it out with Michael race after race after race?

They are the only two who come to mind.
Old 29 May 2004, 21:48 (Ref:987617)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed.

In 1997 there were races when Jacques was up front and races when Michael was up front - but I don't think they both appeared on the same podium that year.

David Coulthard has beaten Michael wheel to wheel a good few times over the years, but never consistently.
Old 29 May 2004, 22:09 (Ref:987628)   #3
Nina
Racer

Nina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EDIT : a careless post - but keep your eyes peeled for any news about this tomorrow morning

Last edited by Nina; 29 May 2004 at 22:17.
Old 30 May 2004, 02:31 (Ref:987726)   #4
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Challenges to Michael????

Quote:
Originally posted by 1 Lotus
This is not to start a "who's the best" thread, but from a different perspective, I ask a question.

Aside from Damon and Mika, who ever really duked it out with Michael race after race after race?

They are the only two who come to mind.
Up to 2000 i would say Mika and Damon.

Post 2000 I don't htink you can really say. Like whoever said...DC gave him a few good runs but personally i think Micheal has been gifted with superior equipment with the exception to the F2003. I would say Raikonnen or Montoya though for the most part in 2002 and 2003....even though Schumi has always come out on top.... This year I would say Button....however it's no contest that Schumi again has superior equipment.
Old 30 May 2004, 02:42 (Ref:987731)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"This year I would say Button....however it's no contest that Schumi again has superior equipment."

Well..MS having inferior equipment didn't stop MS from bringing the fight to Damon and Mika, 94 nor 97 nor 98 nor 03...so what's the prob now he has superior equipment? At least he didn't luck into it like some drivers.

"Gifted" superior equipement...seesh.

But Mika and Damon are two guys who have consistently put the fight to MS (at least 2 years each). Montoya and Raikkonen managed it last year, though it's the new points that played a part in it too.

And now, Button and the Renaults look set to push him hard. And if they can keep this status quo..they look set to be big challengers.

Unfortunately, there's no one driver who can consistently challenge MS for his whole F1 career...
Old 30 May 2004, 03:14 (Ref:987744)   #6
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

Unfortunately, there's no one driver who can consistently challenge MS for his whole F1 career...
Huh.. let me put it correctly..

'Unfortunately there's no one driver who was consistently in as good cars as MS for his whole f1 career...'
Old 30 May 2004, 03:17 (Ref:987747)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*yawn*

LOL
Old 30 May 2004, 03:23 (Ref:987751)   #8
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
*sniff*
*cough*
All the years you mention, except for 96, MS had a car which would fight for the title. In 94 he had the best car. Anyway this is off-topic and I wont go in detail.. we've discussed it 100s of times already.
Old 30 May 2004, 03:58 (Ref:987759)   #9
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
His only challengers have been Mechanical Failure and Monaco Tunnels.
Old 30 May 2004, 07:38 (Ref:987800)   #10
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damon was never a match for Schumacher. Certainly not when ontrack-duelling came into the equation.
Old 30 May 2004, 10:24 (Ref:987999)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But Damon gave it his best shot
Old 30 May 2004, 12:56 (Ref:988130)   #12
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say pablo has given Michael the most wheel to wheel curry in my memory for the past few years. Only guy to really give him stick where he's had the chance.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 30 May 2004, 15:02 (Ref:988309)   #13
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd add JV - they may not have stood on the same podium in '97 but they did at other times and there were a couple of close races in '97. Also JPM, certainly.

What a shame that the one year when HHF had both the car and the team, Michael wasn't really there.
What a shame that the one year that Panis had both the car and the team he was so seriously injured.
Old 30 May 2004, 15:03 (Ref:988312)   #14
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Senna, of course.
Old 30 May 2004, 21:34 (Ref:988658)   #15
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ross Brawn has said the only rival MS ever truly regarded as an 'equal' was Hakkinen. If only he'd gone to Williams in 92/93.....could have been 4 or 5 titles for Mika against Michael, 7-2 to MS doesn't show a true picture
Old 30 May 2004, 22:05 (Ref:988676)   #16
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunatly only Mika has really stuck it to MS.There have been times when someone has put it to him but as we have all seen the rest have to catch up to Ferrari before they can fight with Michael.I would love to see Button,JPM,Webber, or Alonso move to Ferrari and Mr Todt say to them no orders you fight it out between yourselves.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 30 May 2004 at 22:08.
Old 31 May 2004, 07:00 (Ref:988872)   #17
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as now, the only mS's challenge is statistics; but it won't last much longer as well
Old 31 May 2004, 09:17 (Ref:988983)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the stats have been beaten now. I think he is just doing it for fun now and that is proving far harder to beat!
Old 31 May 2004, 10:51 (Ref:989077)   #19
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last GP looked fairly straight forward for him and Ferrari- no effective competition usually helps.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 31 May 2004, 11:03 (Ref:989100)   #20
Gt_R
Veteran

Actually, in a way i do feel sorry for other fans/drivers/teams.

Every year, they harbour this hope that finally they are going to beat Michael..or at least close the gap..make big claims and huge promises for their fans, setting hopes high... then come the race, Michael just blow them away stronger than before... and stun them.

The ease at which Ferrari can put MS on any strategy and still win a race, and in the worse case senario still in a fight for podium, just serves to make people think "where on earth are the challengers?"

My mate, a soccerfan who knew little, was asking me how on earth did Mclaren and Williams screw up so badly and let Ferrari get away with the glory. All i could answer is "Sh*t happens sometimes."
Old 31 May 2004, 11:22 (Ref:989123)   #21
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And we wonder why F1's popularity is on the wane and why some just don't "get it"?

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 31 May 2004, 17:50 (Ref:989439)   #22
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that to many teams, have tried to hard to catch-up to Ferrari, and we are now seeing the results.

Williams and McLaren both felt the need to come up with radical new designs, to catch Ferrari, and both have now fallen even further behind. Driver problems at Williams aren't helping either.

Add to that, MS is driving better than ever, with no pressure at all, and it shows. I think Michael can win as many WDC's as he wants to now.

It will take Ferrari's competition along time to dig its way out of the hole they've dug themselves.

Danica Patrick
Old 1 Jun 2004, 00:00 (Ref:989759)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

A good news for his critics is that Michael's ONLY challenger is his age...there'd be a time that he'd naturally slow down because of age...and age isn't on his side anymore.

Even i think it's unlikely he'd stay til anywhere near 40.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 05:02 (Ref:989852)   #24
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
definitely hakkinen
Old 1 Jun 2004, 05:06 (Ref:989856)   #25
Panzer
Racer

Panzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To put the Ferrari in perspective you only have to look at what Rubens does with it, much closer to the rest of the field, Michales ability take the car to another level.