Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Apr 2019, 07:03 (Ref:3894983)   #51
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes Sorry David, Many thanks for the photos. brilliant as ever.
Old 3 Apr 2019, 07:27 (Ref:3894991)   #52
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Grant I love those pictures. Something about the rich red and the dusky background really does it for me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 3 Apr 2019, 07:30 (Ref:3894992)   #53
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
O/T alert - great pics from Sebring as well dwh! </O/T>

Old 3 Apr 2019, 07:41 (Ref:3894995)   #54
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
O/T alert - great pics from Sebring as well dwh! </O/T>

Thanks - after some UK venues, Sebring is a delight for snappers
Old 3 Apr 2019, 09:51 (Ref:3895030)   #55
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Grant I love those pictures. Something about the rich red and the dusky background really does it for me.

Robyn's rich red Cortina?

That certainly is a very nicely chosen colour.

Or perhaps dwh's set with the terrific reads of the Delta run FJs?

Lovely set of shots dwh.

You have used a few interesting locations too - exceptionally long lens or just a high resolution and a deep crop for those?
Old 3 Apr 2019, 09:58 (Ref:3895031)   #56
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks - pretty much all are the 200-500 zoom with cropping on some. Qualifying from the grandstand and chicane are 70-200 zoom. Now that the infield has been re-opened, there's a lot more "sans-fence" available for spectator snappers.
Old 3 Apr 2019, 10:08 (Ref:3895034)   #57
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Readers may be interested in the event report which has just gone live on https://www.pistonclick.com where delta features again !

I contribute regularly to PistonClick which was set up to provide a showcase for automotive photographers, event reports across the breadth of motorsport on two, three and four wheels and circuit guides for spectator snappers.
Old 3 Apr 2019, 10:11 (Ref:3895037)   #58
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Thanks - pretty much all are the 200-500 zoom with cropping on some. Qualifying from the grandstand and chicane are 70-200 zoom. Now that the infield has been re-opened, there's a lot more "sans-fence" available for spectator snappers.
Interesting. Some of the shots, based in where I think the subjects are and where you were probably standing, look like more than 500mm even if allowing for a crop factor for the sensor?

Yes the open (and relatively dry!) infield was quite nice - also having the old Coppice tunnel open for the day. Not being able to take the car around the outside sort of helped the fitness regime if not the photographic options!

The only downside to the infield shooting option is that Redgate and Holly Wood are challenging come the afternoon due to sun position and the Old Hairpin is not especially scenically interesting. Likewise McLeans. Coppice, from the inside, used to have one single person position that was interesting is one had good balance but that seems to have gone with some revised fencing work.

Even the esses seem a little more constrained than they used to be for snappers - and less spectacular perhaps now the launch-a-car kerbs are no more. However that is all the better for racing and the cars though I anticipate that target lap times will drop by about half a second - maybe more.
Old 3 Apr 2019, 10:30 (Ref:3895039)   #59
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
I was using my Nikon D610 / Nikkor 200-500mm on a monopod and do tend to crop fairly tightly to get the fences out of the shot, so yes I guess some will be more than 500mm effectively.
I didn't take my step, so didn't go up to Coppice where there is a narrow gap in the fences on the inside that gives a nice angle - but don't tell everyone :-)
Old 3 Apr 2019, 21:52 (Ref:3895162)   #60
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great pics dwh. Thanks for sharing.
Old 4 Apr 2019, 02:02 (Ref:3895183)   #61
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
I was using my Nikon D610 / Nikkor 200-500mm on a monopod and do tend to crop fairly tightly to get the fences out of the shot, so yes I guess some will be more than 500mm effectively.
I didn't take my step, so didn't go up to Coppice where there is a narrow gap in the fences on the inside that gives a nice angle - but don't tell everyone :-)

Interesting again.

Some of the shots look like much more than a 500mm lens but with an FX sensor that's about all you should get.

I don't get the same effect using a 70-200 lens with a 2x extender and a 1.3x crop sensor which should, in theory, give about a 520mm equivalent.

That said I have about half the resolution on my sensor so it's not quite a like for like comparison and may explain the apparent difference I see.