Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 18 Mar 2019, 15:44 (Ref:3891608)   #1
vonrho
Rookie

vonrho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dissertation help - Split electric turbochargers

Hello all.

I’m just posting this in hopes I can get a bit of help with information for my dissertation.
The information in this post probably will not be used in the dissertation, this is more finding contacts/places to start, but if anybody does have any useful information on the system feel free to post it, the more the merrier.
This post will be on a few other forums.

So basically, the dissertation is a feasibility review into the use split electric turbochargers for use in motorsport. I think Ferrari patented this system or similar for their road cars.
In case you aren’t aware split electric turbocharger is just where it is a separate electric “compressor” and exhaust side electric generator.
Its role is similar to the MGU-H however the idea is, since only one side is charging and one side is compressing, they should be under less stress than an MGU-H, so the level of engineering should be lower and then hopefully the price should be lower too.
Also, those are the only major components that need implementing (for the forced induction system, it will probably need a sizeable battery) and you don’t need to effectively mould a turbocharger around the unit, also making it a bit cheaper.
There is other advantages and disadvantages to the system however cost is likely to be the main part as BTCC are moving to hybrid and Formula 2’s series boss stated they aren’t looking at Formula One hybrid systems due to cost grounds. So, this system may be a good alternative for those categories and others.
Anyway, that’s the premise, it’s a feasibility review so I can say its suitable or its not suitable so don't worry about information contrary to mine or someone else's.

So, if anybody has any information, opinions, contacts or anything else regarding this system, or MGU-H for that matter as it will effectively be battling that system, please feel free to post it below or message me.
Thanks for reading, will look forward to your responses.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 10:06 (Ref:3891806)   #2
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
snailpace85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello vonrho,

Hopefully your supervisor should be able to give some leads. I'm not an expert in exactly what's going on with MGU-turbocharger systems but do have an MSc in rotating machinery. You might find books by authors such as Vance and Childs on rotordynamics of turbomachinery useful. The big issue that I see for a combined MGU, impeller and turbine on a single shaft is the dynamic behaviour due to shaft bending at its natural frequencies. An MGU is heavy. A turbocharger spins at high revs. The whole thing is a nightmare from centrifugal force, balance and shaft bending natural frequencies points of view. Therefore a big benefit can come from separating these parts as far as possible to give short shafts and each part mounted on its own bearings.

My gut feeling is that what you are looking into could be very useful.

Hope that's some sort of use,
Scott
Old 19 Mar 2019, 10:35 (Ref:3891808)   #3
vonrho
Rookie

vonrho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailpace85 View Post
Hello vonrho,

Hopefully your supervisor should be able to give some leads. I'm not an expert in exactly what's going on with MGU-turbocharger systems but do have an MSc in rotating machinery. You might find books by authors such as Vance and Childs on rotordynamics of turbomachinery useful. The big issue that I see for a combined MGU, impeller and turbine on a single shaft is the dynamic behaviour due to shaft bending at its natural frequencies. An MGU is heavy. A turbocharger spins at high revs. The whole thing is a nightmare from centrifugal force, balance and shaft bending natural frequencies points of view. Therefore a big benefit can come from separating these parts as far as possible to give short shafts and each part mounted on its own bearings.

My gut feeling is that what you are looking into could be very useful.

Hope that's some sort of use,
Scott
Awesome, thanks for the input. never really thought of it from a rotor dynamic point of view, will have a look into it.

Cheers
Ivan Rhodes