Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 19 Apr 2003, 18:07 (Ref:574239)   #26
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Searched it from net, It's Red Line 7000 from 1965, correct, but no Carradine but James Caan. I saw this movie some over 20 years ago, when I was some 7 or 8, but never since.
Actually there's 'racing' movie with David Carradine as lead role; Death Race 2000.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 20 Apr 2003, 20:00 (Ref:575095)   #27
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've seen it - dire.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 23:08 (Ref:575203)   #28
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw it when it came out

Quote:
Originally posted by 429CJ
Searched it from net, It's Red Line 7000 from 1965, correct, but no Carradine but James Caan. I saw this movie some over 20 years ago, when I was some 7 or 8, but never since.
Actually there's 'racing' movie with David Carradine as lead role; Death Race 2000.
Yep, u r write. James did a half decent job. Funny how memory can play tricks on ya when ya get on in years ....now where was I?
Old 21 Apr 2003, 12:46 (Ref:575560)   #29
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a great Australian movie from the early 80's called "Smash Palace" (great title, btw). It's not so much about racing but the main character owns a junk yard (named Smash Palace) and he was a club or semi-pro road racer. Not enough race scenes but a good movie and the scenes that were are authentic.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 15:24 (Ref:578149)   #30
Hog
Racer

Hog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Death Race 2000. Complete and utter bullhooks.

Not a race movie I know but for me one of the best "chase" sequences has to be in Mad Max 2 when the outlaws are after Max in the rig. Sheer violence.

Last edited by Hog; 23 Apr 2003 at 15:26.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 06:00 (Ref:779505)   #31
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw Days of Thunder on the big screen several times and loved it. I saw it on the small screen once and was too bored to stay till the end. Says a lot......

I bought LeMans today on DVD, i may have seen it as a kid, i don't remeber. I've bought it on the recommendation of so many of you.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 13:20 (Ref:779799)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its an absolute must David.

Just forget about any plot and the love interest, and enjoy the cars!
Old 11 Nov 2003, 14:52 (Ref:779901)   #33
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely brilliant film. Too much of the human angle off track though. Damn shame they couldn't have got any deleted stuff together for the DVD release though.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 15:52 (Ref:779959)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
True. There's also something about the music that I really like as well. Really fits the moodier bits of the film, especially the start (at the railway station and with that poor gendarme who can't start his motor bike.... ) and during the night. I've had it on tape from the TV for at least 10-12 years and I guess I've probably watched it 30-40 times........

(Sad old git, aren't I..... )
Old 11 Nov 2003, 18:22 (Ref:780124)   #35
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i saw a trailer of the upcoming Le Mans film about Michel Vaillante (the one they filmed a couple of years back)

Absolute tripe. Worse than Driven easily. (since when does on on track battle involve ramming your apponent into the barriers and slamming into the sides of one another )
Old 12 Nov 2003, 01:55 (Ref:780531)   #36
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOOOOOO....from the looks of it I was hoping it would be semi-good...

Last edited by FastJoel31; 12 Nov 2003 at 01:59.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 02:55 (Ref:780560)   #37
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've also just bought the Le Mans DVD. I was down at Blockbuster to rent a vid and there it was - impulse purchasing at its best. All I have to do now is buy a DVD player
Old 12 Nov 2003, 08:13 (Ref:780736)   #38
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
$89 at crazy clark's
Old 12 Nov 2003, 08:28 (Ref:780743)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
You two neighbours?
Old 13 Nov 2003, 03:30 (Ref:781608)   #40
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I have no idea, 3 million people live in the greater Brisbane area.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 08:09 (Ref:781736)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Not like Lymington then........
Old 18 Nov 2003, 12:22 (Ref:787001)   #42
ChevronB16
Rookie

ChevronB16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a film as such but I can remember a short film by Roman Polanski (I think!) which followed Jackie Stewart round during the weekend of the Monaco GP sometime during the early 70s. It included practice sessions, F2 races and other good behind the scenes stuff. It was on TV a few years back but I haven't heard of it since.

Anyone else remember it?
Old 18 Nov 2003, 13:07 (Ref:787063)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I know I've seen a clip or two from it, but never the whole thing. I wonder if its available on the web somewhere?
Old 18 Nov 2003, 14:36 (Ref:787165)   #44
ChevronB16
Rookie

ChevronB16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aha!

Weekend of a Champion - Roman Polanski - 1972 - 80mins
Old 18 Nov 2003, 18:07 (Ref:787407)   #45
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
80 mins - not a short film then?
Old 30 Dec 2003, 13:03 (Ref:823552)   #46
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I rather enjoyed Le Mans on DVD. I'm not familair with those cars so i don't know if the sound was realiastic, but they sounded pretty good with the TV plugged into the stereo speakers and plenty of bass.

The plot was so sparse that it was hard to follow, either flesh it out or get rid of it. The love interest was just plian pointless.

Only grievance with on track scenes, the Ferraris must be American, a major crash and they explode into a massive fireball.

It was good for a change to see the hero not come through impossible odds and win at the last moment.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 22:02 (Ref:823924)   #47
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the Ferrari's were actually Lolarri's.
Rather kill a Lola rather than a Ferrari. Still have to get that one on DVD. The only one I have found so far is in french with English subtitles. Unfortunately my french has slid into oblivion since graduation, and I hate reading movies.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 1 Jan 2004, 11:52 (Ref:825109)   #48
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
My LeMans DVD appears to be a recent release. It's made in Australia and distributed by Paramount (Australasia). CBS & Paramount logoes appear on the back, you could try their Canadian arm or the American parent company. The film itself was made by cinema Center Films. Hope this helps.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 14:48 (Ref:825170)   #49
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
for me there's only 2 racing movies to consider:
GRAND PRIX & LEMANS
maybe i'm a bit biased, but i first saw GP when it was released in 1967 just a short while before i attended with the family my first ever race, the 67 USGP at the glen...yes it's dated, and the romantic bits slow it down, but what else were they going to do between races?....and i think that the actual footage from SPA is superb....
i just picked up a brand new copy of LM on vhs and still think it's a stunner....the racing footage, especially at the start is fantastic stuff.....
as far as i am concerned these are the only 2 decent race flicks....there is one more that noone has mentioned even though it is a love story more than anything else, BOBBY DEERFIELD....saw it ages ago...al pacino is, i believe, a brabham f1 driver....
Old 5 Jan 2004, 11:35 (Ref:828163)   #50
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not strictly racing but "The Gumball Rally" was quite an entertaining film and had some good humorous bits.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport