Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Oct 2019, 09:52 (Ref:3936035)   #26
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's an awful place to visit and spectate. Wherever you want to go there seems to be chickenwire fencing in your way for no apparent reason. Great meeting though.
Old 21 Oct 2019, 10:19 (Ref:3936045)   #27
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
He was.
Still a mystery as they fell from 1st to 5th.
Gardiner pitted at the earliest opportunity to hand over to Cook. Fairly soon after, there was a safety car period in which most other cars took their stops/driver changes. This meant that they were able to rejoin the back of the safety car train, leaving the TVR at the front and, on track, the best part of a lap down. I'm not sure why, but no car was released from the front of the train before the track went green.
Old 21 Oct 2019, 10:26 (Ref:3936046)   #28
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmondo View Post
It's an awful place to visit and spectate. Wherever you want to go there seems to be chickenwire fencing in your way for no apparent reason. Great meeting though.
I do wonder sometimes if I would go there as often as I do if it was more than half an hour door to door ...
Old 21 Oct 2019, 10:57 (Ref:3936051)   #29
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iet3...lSvMEgC902q9LU

The FF race ! Warning 15 mins long but well worth the time
Old 21 Oct 2019, 11:35 (Ref:3936055)   #30
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iet3...lSvMEgC902q9LU

The FF race ! Warning 15 mins long but well worth the time
Cracking video!

A bit disconcerting at first never having seen any camera shots quite like that before.

Must find out what the camera can do - presumably it is automated rather than driver controlled ...

... Ah, OK, it records everything and the file can then be edited to provide a more story like final output.
Old 21 Oct 2019, 16:00 (Ref:3936091)   #31
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Email from Silverstone regarding Luffield terrace and surrounding area:

So sorry that you were unable to access an area of the circuit during your visit as you would usually do.
The areas on the outfield are not open to the public for this event, car parking is by the national paddock and viewing is from the BRDC stand and the infield at copse. It would seem that you have accessed areas in the past that are not operational at the club meetings.
The area that you are asking of is now part of the Silverstone Heritage trail and will be a permanent addition to the Silverstone Experience. It will not be open at all events however.

Depending on what event you are looking to book, check the What’s Included section. This was the description from this weekend just gone.

We hope to see you again soon

WHAT’S INCLUDED:
• Free roving BRDC grandstand seating
• Free access to the paddock
• Free parking
• Live commentary on 87.7FM
• Children aged 15 & under can attend for free

Seems I and others have been spectating and parking in the wrong place for the past 20+ years. Bye Silverstone.
Old 21 Oct 2019, 16:41 (Ref:3936098)   #32
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Bit tough on SRC members ... have they been told or are they “different” ?

Very strange decision.
Old 21 Oct 2019, 18:10 (Ref:3936110)   #33
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does this mean that ALL of the Luffield terracing is closed? I normally stand by the passage under the grandstand at the exit of Luffield (just behind the marshals' post) as you get a good view of Brooklands, luffield & Woodcote.

Shoud be interesting for the Watler Hayes Trophy in a couple of weeks if that is the case...
Old 22 Oct 2019, 12:18 (Ref:3936233)   #34
mark77
Rookie

mark77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone and the paying public

I'm afraid Silverstone basically don't want anybody to spectate at club meetings - haven't done for years.
Never understand why you can't park the car on the inside bank at Copse - please don't say health and safety
Old 22 Oct 2019, 12:23 (Ref:3936236)   #35
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Interesting - 750MC this weekend is the same restricted access as above; Walter Hayes has more grandstands open and appears to be back to closer to normal.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 13:07 (Ref:3936247)   #36
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark77 View Post
I'm afraid Silverstone basically don't want anybody to spectate at club meetings - haven't done for years.
Never understand why you can't park the car on the inside bank at Copse - please don't say health and safety

Mark, You are right and the answer to that is simple.

Usually, at club meetings, the takings from the gate are slim and dont even cover the cost of cleaning up the place after the event.
Hence all the closed grandstands....

MSV take a bit of a more balanced approach, and look at the bigger picture, typical Dr Palmer, which is why he is successfull and the BRDC isnt....
they are are aware the speccies at club meetings are more a liability than the source of an income stream, buuuut
MSV consequently go out of their way to maximise that income stream by addional offers of merchandise and whatnots

example: ATM ?, yes at Brands Hatch, none at Silverstone

aaaaand they seem to think that tracks which generate noise but dont see many visitors lose their acceptance in society, dooming them in the long run

Rudolf
Old 22 Oct 2019, 13:11 (Ref:3936248)   #37
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
Mark, You are right and the answer to that is simple.

Usually, at club meetings, the takings from the gate are slim and dont even cover the cost of cleaning up the place after the event.
Hence all the closed grandstands....

MWSV take a bit of a more balanced approach, and look at the bigger picture, typical Dr Palmer, which is why he is successfull and the BRDC isnt....
they are are aware the speccies at club meetings are more a liability than the source of an income stream, buuuut
MSVV go out of their way to maximise that income stream as a consequence by addional offers of merchandise and whatnots

aaaaand they seem to think that tracks which generate noise but dont see many visitors lose their acceptance in society, dooming them in the long run

Rudolf
Absolutely agree re MSV. Having not been to Snetterton for many years and regardless of what you think of the revised track layout, the spectator experience is much improved including the approach and attitude of the staff. Likewise the other MSV properties. Bravo Dr P
Old 22 Oct 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3936268)   #38
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Absolutely agree re MSV. Having not been to Snetterton for many years and regardless of what you think of the revised track layout, the spectator experience is much improved including the approach and attitude of the staff. Likewise the other MSV properties. Bravo Dr P
I've never been to Snetterton but that should hopefully change this weekend for GT Cup which is there. Eager to see how it compares and also my dad hasn't been there for nearly 2 decades so looking forward to it.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 18:14 (Ref:3936283)   #39
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
10 days we have attended Silverstone this year and only the Classic is a major event, the rest are proper clubbie meetings.
So I get to save 7 days worth of tickets, 3 hotel nights and 800 miles travelling.

Sillystone's lost is Combe, Thruxton, Prescott and Gurstons gain.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 18:59 (Ref:3936290)   #40
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A true Heritage Trail would open up the original Woodcote - now that would be worth watching.
Old 23 Oct 2019, 07:59 (Ref:3936357)   #41
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
10 days we have attended Silverstone this year and only the Classic is a major event, the rest are proper clubbie meetings.
So I get to save 7 days worth of tickets, 3 hotel nights and 800 miles travelling.

Sillystone's lost is Combe, Thruxton, Prescott and Gurstons gain.
One day in any of your four places is worth two days at Silverstone. So you are getting four days for free!
Old 23 Oct 2019, 19:41 (Ref:3936447)   #42
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
I've never been to Snetterton but that should hopefully change this weekend for GT Cup which is there. Eager to see how it compares and also my dad hasn't been there for nearly 2 decades so looking forward to it.
I recommend the “breakfast baguette” in the Tyrrell’s Restaurant!
Old 24 Oct 2019, 05:49 (Ref:3936501)   #43
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Absolutely nothing to do with HSCC Finals, Andy! But you’re spot on about Tyrrells (at Snett)- One of the best cafeteria / restaurants at any circuit.
Old 24 Oct 2019, 07:34 (Ref:3936515)   #44
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apologies, Mike, I was just responding to Will’s comment about Snett.
Old 24 Oct 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3936523)   #45
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Cheers Andy. Apologies if I shouldn't have mentioned Snetterton on a Silverstone weekend thread. Just thought it related in some form..
Old 24 Oct 2019, 09:51 (Ref:3936536)   #46
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
No problem either- I think discussion on the actual HSCC meeting died a while back!
Old 2 Nov 2019, 21:45 (Ref:3938187)   #47
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Let me re-vitalise the HSCC discussion. My gallery from the Sunday Historic FF1600 race - as good a race as you will see this year !

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJ7LZYB
Old 3 Nov 2019, 00:40 (Ref:3938206)   #48
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree your sentiments re. the Formula Ford race. Breathtaking.

On a more personal note one of the pics is possibly showing me and my son Dan in the BRDC stand. If it is us we are whited out by your proofmark.
Old 3 Nov 2019, 22:22 (Ref:3938394)   #49
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I agree your sentiments re. the Formula Ford race. Breathtaking.

On a more personal note one of the pics is possibly showing me and my son Dan in the BRDC stand. If it is us we are whited out by your proofmark.
Let me know the DSC number and I can move the watermark ... #allpartoftheservice
Old 4 Nov 2019, 01:23 (Ref:3938419)   #50
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Let me know the DSC number and I can move the watermark ... #allpartoftheservice

Thanks. DSC9020.