Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 May 2003, 12:52 (Ref:602492)   #1
chrisrb2002
Racer

United Kingdom
Its's dark but I can see a bright light.
chrisrb2002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TGF, balls the size of mellons..

Now, I would have jumped out off that car.... much respect for the guy.
Old 18 May 2003, 13:21 (Ref:602496)   #2
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He looks so cool and calm inside that car...and to make it all the more impressive, he pulled off a good move to actually still be in the top 3 after all the drama.

Hats off to him!
Old 18 May 2003, 13:54 (Ref:602504)   #3
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I'm still figuring out how it could have happened. With all the safety measures and valves that we so often read about, for some to leak is incredibly unusual. Good job that everyone was quick with the extingushant, otherwise he may not have been that calm!

Other question - how much could he have seen. The fuel point is in the blind spot, and all flames were localised. Unless he heard Ross Brawn yelling "Get out", he may have figured it was more of a small fire and not worth a huge panic. Which shows his immense calm!
Old 18 May 2003, 14:01 (Ref:602509)   #4
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
He looks so cool and calm inside that car...and to make it all the more impressive, he pulled off a good move to actually still be in the top 3 after all the drama.

Hats off to him!
I agree, it's that kind of quiet bravery and iron determination that I find more impressive and admirable than a risk-all, flasyy style. To me it was a moment that will be remembered for a long, long time.

Cheers,

RT

Old 18 May 2003, 14:24 (Ref:602520)   #5
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How cool can you get - he knows his job and he knows the team around him know theirs.

I take my hat of to all of them and didn't Jensen do well?
Old 18 May 2003, 14:29 (Ref:602524)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Very impressive from Michael, although i wish he'd forget about telling jokes in the press conference.
Old 18 May 2003, 14:55 (Ref:602558)   #7
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Very impressive from Michael, although i wish he'd forget about telling jokes in the press conference.
Actually I think he's much better these days...a far cry from the Benetton days when he looked like another version of Raikonnen!
Old 18 May 2003, 15:37 (Ref:602611)   #8
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was quite spectacular seeing Michael just sitting their while his car was going up in flames. He must have been unsure what to do when he was being hosed down by his crew. Anyway, his pass on Raikkonen and the laps thereafter were first class, as weve come to expect from him. He deserved more than a 2 point gain on Raikkonen (although Kimi did drive well).
Old 18 May 2003, 15:43 (Ref:602618)   #9
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure if his driving wouldn't suffer if he actually DID have "balls the size of melons".

But yes. Cool. Calm. Get on with it. Win the Grand Prix. Next...
Old 18 May 2003, 16:28 (Ref:602652)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was really impressed with him for staying in there, not to mention lapping so fast as to make up the time lost in the stop, and through having to pit earlier. Most people would've leapt out and had to be coerced into getting back in, knowing that the fuel could've seeped out as he left the pits, or on the next stop (which would've effectively wasted 16 laps of hard driving)
Old 18 May 2003, 16:41 (Ref:602662)   #11
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yup - that was an inspiring moment!

Loved the way he just calmly wiped his visor as he drove off as if it was only a passing bird that had pooped on him and the car.

Wonder if his customary pointing at people from the podium - (why does he do that every time?) was at one of the fuel guys - who must have had soiled underwear!

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 18 May 2003 at 16:42.
Old 18 May 2003, 16:52 (Ref:602670)   #12
frostblade
Racer

frostblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he never realised, and he thought the guy pointing at the car was simply say "You the man!" and he was returning the gesture.

Whatever, he was on fire today. (boom boom!)

Also, how many times did Martin have tell James Allen that they wouldn't put wet tyres on?
Old 18 May 2003, 16:59 (Ref:602676)   #13
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a thought - do you think MS was having a pee in the monocoque at the time and felt it was safer on all fronts to say put.

(Only joking - a genuinely brave bloke)
Old 18 May 2003, 17:10 (Ref:602685)   #14
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I was impressed not only with his calm during the situation, but with his ability to go out and put the car back on the limit.

Hats off to the Ferrari pit crew who made sure everything was right and gave him a solid servicing at his next stop. No panic - no drama.

Remember when Ferrari pitstops were the definition of chaos?
A WCC performance by the team, and a WDC performance by the driver.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 18 May 2003, 17:13 (Ref:602688)   #15
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Pitstop
How cool can you get - he knows his job and he knows the team around him know theirs.

I take my hat of to all of them and didn't Jensen do well?
Jenson certainly did do well. I've always known he would turn recover from the dismal days at Bennetton, and i'm glad that he's beating Villeneuve.

As for Schumacher, all i can say is "wow". He overcame a mistake in qualifying to get the pole, and then he overcame a potential disaster in the race to win. Nothing fazes that guy! He's in his rythm now, and it will take something special from McLaren to topple him. Roll on Monaco!
Old 18 May 2003, 17:16 (Ref:602690)   #16
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bravery ?

He never knew what exactly happened.
Old 18 May 2003, 17:18 (Ref:602692)   #17
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure he figured it out when they were shooting a fire extinguisher over his head.
Old 18 May 2003, 19:21 (Ref:602803)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man, this guy is in a class by himself! He has ice water running through his veins. He is so cool, unshakable, unflappable, and goes about his work like a machine, with true Germanic precision. No matter what happens during a race, he remains in total control. You can never, ever count him out of a race. Talent wise, he is miles in front of the rest of this field. I laugh when I read a post that tries to pick who the next MS is going to be, Alonso, Fisi, Montoya, forget it! Guys like MS only come around once in a blue moon and I don't see any blue moons on the horizon! I feel fortunate just to be able to watch him race. Just don't retire Michael, I can't picture F1 without you!

Ahhh! I feel better, I've been wanting to sing TGF's praises for quite some time, and what better time than after this race. Go, Michael, Go!

PS: Big thumbs up to the whole Ferrari team, getting that fire out and fixing the fuel nozzle. Grace under pressure!

Danica Patrick
Old 18 May 2003, 20:58 (Ref:602883)   #19
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he won after his car was lit on fire in the pits...

Absolutely incredible is he a machine or a human? It must be asked!
Old 18 May 2003, 21:05 (Ref:602896)   #20
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Settle down a bit,the only thing that caught on fire was the end of the fuel rig.The only person who said he was calm was the hysterically screaming James Allen,is this guy on speed or something?.
MS would have been sitting in the car looking at the lollipop man,waiting to go,bet he never even knew there was a fire,and as for saying the guy looked so calm,he was wearing a full face helmet,balaclava,and tinted visor.
No doubt about it though he (and the car) are blindingly fast.
Old 18 May 2003, 22:27 (Ref:602970)   #21
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah he didn't know there was a fire! I guess he didn't see the guys spraying the car with exstinguishers! They do have radios after all, he had to know there was a fire, if he didn't know what was going on he would have to be asleep!
Old 18 May 2003, 22:41 (Ref:602982)   #22
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think it's fair to say - call me premature - that this year's title race is all but over. Big respect to taciturn young Kimi, who will be champion one day, but Schuey is well and truly into his stride now. Today was a perfect example of why he and Ferrari have been so successful; things turn to **** and yet he still pulls it all back to win. Like Lyndon Johnson said, sometimes you have to know how to make chicken sh*t into chicken salad. Schuey for six-times world champion will, I think, be the result come the end of the year.

And, judging by today, who will gainsay him?
Old 19 May 2003, 00:24 (Ref:603010)   #23
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How brave of him. Staying right where he was the safest.
Old 19 May 2003, 05:26 (Ref:603091)   #24
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Asp
I'm still figuring out how it could have happened
When Rubens came in for his first stop on lap 21, there was a problem with the refuelling rig, so Michael’s was used. Then, on the next lap, it was Michael’s turn to pit. A small amount of fuel was still in the nozzle from the previous refuelling, which dripped onto the car and caught fire - Jean Todt
Old 19 May 2003, 06:26 (Ref:603103)   #25
eldougo
Rookie

eldougo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me it was great weekend 1st the way he backed that car into the corner in qualifing was just amazing.2nd the way he just sat there while his car was on FIRE an he could see it for sure. 3rd that
new car has so much speed it unreal another WDC comming up 2003.It,s
just a matter of who will come 2nd & 3rd.