Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 10 Aug 2018, 16:32 (Ref:3842821)   #1601
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Is this a knock on from F1 technology? The F1 cars are remarkably efficient and of course have multiple semi automatic gears.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Or trucks?
I hope F1 cars aren't as slow changing gear as my truck, you have to time pulling out on roundabouts or side roads as it nearly comes to a standstill when changing up in the lower gears. That's a Volvo, I'm supposed to be getting a new Daf next week which I know is even worse.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3842834)   #1602
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I hope F1 cars aren't as slow changing gear as my truck, you have to time pulling out on roundabouts or side roads as it nearly comes to a standstill when changing up in the lower gears. That's a Volvo,I'm supposed to be getting a new Daf next week which I know is even worse.
Does the DAF use the same box, Tim? I was told before buying my Vovo that it ‘was all about the software’. Agree about the roundabout thing- had to get used to other road users needing to be patient! Someone’s done a dual clutch truck gearbox but it was suggested to me that only advantage is small improvement in emissions and in fuel consumption, not drivability.....
Old 10 Aug 2018, 18:25 (Ref:3842847)   #1603
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Volvo I-shift has always been the one to have, far superior to others in terms of rapid gear selection. They also offer a twin clutch box which is all very nice, but at a considerable cost & weight premium. Apart from bragging rights the only real advantage is on the really heavy stuff or off road applications where the uninterrupted supply of power keeps you moving and is more sympathetic to the rest of the drivetrain. In normal road applications it's a bit OTT. As far as I know it's only available in Volvo's own trucks Mike, but maybe in Renault as well now? I think DAF and others have persevered with the ZF box and of course Mercedes have their own which I understand is much better now than it was when I last ran a Merc. It was because of that box (and Merc's inability to sort it out) that I never bought another one.

Last edited by Colin McKay; 10 Aug 2018 at 18:30.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 19:31 (Ref:3842857)   #1604
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Does the DAF use the same box, Tim? I was told before buying my Vovo that it ‘was all about the software’.
If it's not the same it's very similar but as you say, it seems to be about the software controlling it. I once had a rental Merc with the same idea, one day it all went tits up and wouldn't rev above 900rpm. When they came down to sort it they said I'd over revved it and the ECU had gone into derate. It wasn't actually possible to over rev the thing and strangely enough it was a lot better when they re-programmed the box, and it also gained an extra reverse gear making four speeds in reverse instead of three.

Colin, I've driven three different versions of the I shift and the one I have now is the best but I find it better to pull away using manual selection for the first couple of changes then shift to fully auto. The big advantage for our type of work is that this one has had the same clutch for three years where a proper manual was going through one every year or so, one only lasted three months due to the monkeys in our firm fitting it incorrectly.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 05:36 (Ref:3842933)   #1605
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
My old 1834 1991 Merc Box has never missed a beat . O dear what av I said . We did have a problem a couple of years ago but that was all down to Alternator over charging .
Old 11 Aug 2018, 06:09 (Ref:3842934)   #1606
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a valid point. Are the current crop of trucks likely to be any use in years to come? Given how quickly software moves on, when they're in the 20 year old plus market will anyone be able to service let alone repair them.

Old 11 Aug 2018, 12:47 (Ref:3842958)   #1607
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
It's a valid point. Are the current crop of trucks likely to be any use in years to come? Given how quickly software moves on, when they're in the 20 year old plus market will anyone be able to service let alone repair them.

There are not many 20 year old trucks on the road unless your name is Iain.
I've just found out that my current truck is leased and has to go back in as new condition, somehow after 10 years and 300K + kms it's not going to happen.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 15:36 (Ref:3842997)   #1608
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes K378 FET should hit 300 K by the time we get back from Spa .
Old 11 Aug 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3843006)   #1609
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yes K378 FET should hit 300 K by the time we get back from Spa .
What- kilometres? My FH is just coming up to 600k.....
Old 11 Aug 2018, 22:35 (Ref:3843082)   #1610
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My Daf is 450k. Miles.

There aren't many 20 year old trucks used commercially, but in the private realm (horse boxes, race transporters etc) my 56 plater is a positive youngster.

Old 12 Aug 2018, 00:02 (Ref:3843088)   #1611
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The authorities will be anticipating all electric trucks within 20 years.

The chances are that there will be little or no fossil fuel supply infrastructure within 30 years - no matter what the consequences.

Recall that less than 10 years ago incandescent light bulbs were banned from sale and the planned replacements (the nasty and ugly fluorescent type things) were were already being supplanted by halogen items.

Now halogen are to be banned in favour of LED.

I would think it would be very simple to make it impossible to own and operate a truck privately without actually enforcing a ban - but ban they will if they feel they must.

Of course it might well be that any need to use a truck for leisure purposes will disappear long before they have to resort to a ban.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 10:47 (Ref:3843142)   #1612
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
In 30 years time I’m hardly likely to still be trucking- or driving....

Thanks to the wonder that is freeview or freesat or whatever it is my TV gets, I was able to watch 3 very different modern races last eve featuring ‘tin tops’, although don’t think tin is much evident in a couple. The 3? NASCAR on a street circuit (Watkins Glen), DTM from Brands, and Oz V8s (racing in the dark) at Sydney Motorsport Park.

In terms of entertaining racing and spectacle, the DTM was pretty rubbish, NASCAR OK, but the Supercars were superb. Heavy V8 super saloons on the limit, proper pit stops for fuel and tyres, good commentary and impressive backdrop. Loved the fireworks as the winner crossed the line.....
Old 12 Aug 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3843212)   #1613
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
His 4 year BMW 5 series lease is about to end and a recent job change has added to his commute distance. One wonders if they are trying to shift production ahead of regulatory changes that will make them unsellable.

I think many manufacturers are offering very tempting deals to move the metal before the new regs come into force - expect a large amount of dealer registered "demonstrators" to enable the disposal of outstanding stock
Old 12 Aug 2018, 19:47 (Ref:3843225)   #1614
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I think many manufacturers are offering very tempting deals to move the metal before the new regs come into force - expect a large amount of dealer registered "demonstrators" to enable the disposal of outstanding stock

Friends are telling me that that is happening in Spain; lots of really good deals to be had to just clear old unregistered stock.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3843236)   #1615
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to trucks

Our Volvos used to do 250k kms a year, double shifted. I'm not surprised Iain's Merc hasn't been any trouble - have you taken it in for its first service yet?

My first truck, an American Mack, had done 1.2 million miles when I sold it to its 3rd owner. The first owner had used it on middle east runs, not exactly an easy life but then again it wasn't trouble free in my ownership. Had to have the block stitched after a crack appeared so replaced internals while we were at it. Transmission was never a problem though, engine, box and back axle were all of Mack's own manufacture whereas the competition (Peterbilt, Kenworth, White) used whatever the customer preferred from Cummins, Detroit, Eaton, Fuller and all were capable of similar mileages. Low revving engines and constant mesh boxes were the key as well as proper drivers.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 20:47 (Ref:3843242)   #1616
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Friends are telling me that that is happening in Spain; lots of really good deals to be had to just clear old unregistered stock.
There are "some" deals but compared with the UK they are still a fair bit of money, however compared with the second hand market it does pay to buy new as even a 10 year old piece of junk that would flog for 2 or 3 hundred quid in blighty would sell for €1500 - 2000 down here !!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Aug 2018, 06:16 (Ref:3843710)   #1617
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Did you see there is a chap swimming all the way around GB. That’s respect .,
Old 15 Aug 2018, 07:17 (Ref:3843715)   #1618
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Did you see there is a chap swimming all the way around GB. That’s respect .,
Well with the price of petrol and the state of the trains, who can blame him?
Old 15 Aug 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3843846)   #1619
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Bit off piste, and I'm not sure if it'll be blocked by a paywall (I'm a Times subscriber so can see it), but I found this amusing :

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/danie...-us-road-trip/
Old 16 Aug 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3843990)   #1620
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Bit off piste, and I'm not sure if it'll be blocked by a paywall (I'm a Times subscriber so can see it), but I found this amusing :
Sounds like a nice little jolly. Presume Red Bull is marketed in the USA so a PR stunt?

There’s been mention on the forum (on a couple of occasions) of how useful Facebook had been in recovering stolen cars. Seems it is also doing good recovering stolen motor bikes, or repatriating them at least when found. But in CCW this week, a not so happy story. A GT6 owner was having to park his pride and joy in a side road as he had no garage or off street parking at his house. Although the car was occasionally used, a Facebook user had spotted it more than once and suggested on line that it could have been abandoned. The resultant conversation revealed the location, and guess what- the car is then stolen. Not just stolen, but left in a field and torched....

OK, not the most sensible thing to do, parking a Classic away from your house in a side road, but it does make you think! Well, it made me think....
Old 16 Aug 2018, 12:48 (Ref:3843994)   #1621
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
On another matter, as reported on the BTCC Rockingham thread and elsewhere, the circuit has been sold and will cease all motorsport activity after end of 2018....
Old 16 Aug 2018, 14:10 (Ref:3844011)   #1622
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup. Affordable housing no doubt.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 15:07 (Ref:3844021)   #1623
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I must admit I have never understood the phrase, surely it is all relative, what does 'affordable' mean to a Cabinet Minister? Less than a couple of million quid?

I paid £4,100 for my first house, and could barely afford that.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 15:46 (Ref:3844027)   #1624
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed, it's a millennial thing. Everything has to be fair. Nobody talks about reasonable anymore, just "fair" and "unfair". "Fair" roughly translated means "paid for by others".
Old 16 Aug 2018, 16:02 (Ref:3844031)   #1625
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Not even that- suggested that site is too contaminated! Car storage mooted by local paper.

We have ‘social housing’ and then ‘affordable housing’ incorporated in all planning applications in this area. Then strangely during construction the developers often apply to change the balance to more big detached houses and less of the affordable kind- and usually get their way.....