Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 11 Apr 2019, 19:43 (Ref:3896881)   #6526
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
It's rare when I agree with someone on everything but I couldn't find a single flaw in any of Vasselon's answers in that article. Well done sir!
Old 11 Apr 2019, 20:21 (Ref:3896885)   #6527
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's good stuff from Vasselon.

BoP, or success ballast or whatever, has a place in a series which takes existing cars with differing layouts and turns them into racing cars. Even if it is a repulsive concept to purists like us, brothers and sisters.

But a formula is different. A formula says here are the rules, build your car to these rules and may the best one win. That's the point of a formula.

I would rather watch Rebellion, SMP, ByKolles and Dragonspeed fight it out with their current cars than some lardy, glorified road car lumbering around LM at 3 minutes 30.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 21:12 (Ref:3896891)   #6528
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree with Vasseleon. WEC is supposed to be the F1 of sportscar series, so BoP has no place at the top of the tree in my book
Old 11 Apr 2019, 22:09 (Ref:3896904)   #6529
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Gotta agree with M. Vasselon's sentiments about TMG preferring to run prototypes (or at least road car influenced, prototype based cars) in preference to what the ACO seems to be pushing for.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 08:55 (Ref:3896959)   #6530
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
This is a complete cluster at this point. They've managed to get to a position where absolutely nobody is happy.
Can't help but draw comparisons to Brexit.

BOP, as unacceptable to me as the backstop is to NI. I didn't like what was being proposed in the first place, but I that's probably the final nail in the coffin for me...
Old 12 Apr 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3897003)   #6531
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't wry there's still one non-BoP class at LM. Too bad it's a spec proam class with fake sticker rebrandings but you know... Better than nothing I guess

Anyway, this will be the first time since the beginning of LM where the tech incentive for overall win will be irrelevant... Which in turn makes the PR about Zero Emission look pretty funny when right now they don't care rats ass about technology, only OEM money
Old 12 Apr 2019, 14:56 (Ref:3897020)   #6532
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Don't wry there's still one non-BoP class at LM. Too bad it's a spec proam class with fake sticker rebrandings but you know... Better than nothing I guess
LMP2? That's a spec class.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 15:01 (Ref:3897021)   #6533
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobec View Post
LMP2? That's a spec class.
Which part of "spec proam class with fake sticker rebrandings" did you miss in my post
Old 12 Apr 2019, 15:15 (Ref:3897023)   #6534
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The fact that Toyota says it's cheaper to do a prototype should say something about who is influencing these rules. It has to be someone with a car already made that can be adapted and ran a little bit slower than lmp2s right now. Is that Ford? Aston Martin? McLaren? Whoever it is, I don't think it's worth it unless they're bringing other big names along. And even then it's basically glorified GTE, which I thought was going to end up happening. Shame...
Old 12 Apr 2019, 15:23 (Ref:3897025)   #6535
Deleted
Veteran

While Aston Martin is obviously going to be at the head of any lobbying list, they're not particularly hyper big name or provider of OEM cashflow / bribes, so it's either Ferrari or McLaren I reckon. Ford seems to be more on the "whatever we'll do it if it's cheap to transform our GTE into it" line

Now then, in the past when ACO slowed down cars, the target lap times never really materialized. Even the pace of 2011 was much quicker than the ACO projected thanks to Audi and Pug pushing the envelope. However, in a boring old BoP class they can do whatever they want to control it, even order FIA test driver to bop-test all the cars at Paul Ricard or something. And if/when it's spec tires for all there's not going to be any point for tire development either
Old 12 Apr 2019, 18:14 (Ref:3897057)   #6536
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The fact that Toyota says it's cheaper to do a prototype should say something about who is influencing these rules.
Crazy, really. They've spent years moaning about costs and now they want to spend more than they need to.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 18:26 (Ref:3897062)   #6537
Deleted
Veteran

Toyota wants to win on merit, not by luck/politics/wrestling. You can also control your destiny better if it's a competition of superior engineering rather than lottery draw.

I imagine they'd also rather spend money on actual cars rather than wasting it on nonsensical marketing and bribing the bop committee like everyone else

BoP also means they won't be allowed to win LM two years in a row because that's "boring" by the said ideology. So 2021 should already be wasted

Last edited by Deleted; 12 Apr 2019 at 18:32.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 19:32 (Ref:3897080)   #6538
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I don't know how this is going to work out but if Toyota has a plan to use a prototype, it'll be weird to see it vs something like the Ford GT which is a... GT. I know people say that it's a prototype but it's mostly because it raced before it sold. Same thing as the M8 which I have yet to see a production model of. Ford brought an actual sportscar though while BMW brought a big bodied 'coupe' if you can call it that. I guess it'll be something like the TS020 racing against the McLaren F1 just fast forwarded 20 years in the future!
Old 12 Apr 2019, 20:59 (Ref:3897097)   #6539
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Which part of "spec proam class with fake sticker rebrandings" did you miss in my post
Guess that whole part

You even said it better
Old 13 Apr 2019, 09:48 (Ref:3897191)   #6540
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not just make a cost capped P1 instead? It worked very well on P2 (I mean before the Spec regulations). Do wathever you like with a small amount of money and sale it to the teams without any money losses.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 20:22 (Ref:3897772)   #6541
TF110
Veteran

United States
Whatever happened to that supposed announcement of interest/intent within a week of Sebring? Guess that never really was on?
Old 16 Apr 2019, 04:29 (Ref:3897853)   #6542
Deleted
Veteran

Hopefully nothing's happening and they reverse their plans (again)
Old 16 Apr 2019, 05:27 (Ref:3897869)   #6543
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well maybe they've hit a dead end and have been forced to make a u turn
Old 16 Apr 2019, 08:05 (Ref:3897901)   #6544
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well maybe they've hit a dead end and have been forced to make a u turn
Which has been the story of these regulations since LM 2017 press conference lol
Old 16 Apr 2019, 09:06 (Ref:3897917)   #6545
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What exactly is the sticking point for the regulations?
Old 16 Apr 2019, 09:20 (Ref:3897920)   #6546
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What exactly is the sticking point for the regulations?
Aston wants to run a Valkyrie.
BMW wants to use hydrogen.
Toyota wants to run a prototype.
Ferrari wants to turn up to the meetings to appear interested but never commit to anything.
Ford wants to switch to DPi unless they might be interested in running a version of the GT as a hypercar. Maybe.
McLaren wants to run a Senna, or maybe a prototype that looks kinda like a 720S.
Glickenhaus wants to run a prototype that looks like a hypercar that they can sell as a road car.

Rebellio/SMP/ByKolles/Dragonspeed (maybe even Ginetta) don't want to throw away the very recent investment in their prototypes.

Besides that it's plain sailing...
Old 16 Apr 2019, 09:49 (Ref:3897931)   #6547
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Aston wants to run a Valkyrie.
BMW wants to use hydrogen.
Toyota wants to run a prototype.
Ferrari wants to turn up to the meetings to appear interested but never commit to anything.
Ford wants to switch to DPi unless they might be interested in running a version of the GT as a hypercar. Maybe.
McLaren wants to run a Senna, or maybe a prototype that looks kinda like a 720S.
Glickenhaus wants to run a prototype that looks like a hypercar that they can sell as a road car.

Rebellio/SMP/ByKolles/Dragonspeed (maybe even Ginetta) don't want to throw away the very recent investment in their prototypes.

Besides that it's plain sailing...
Someone should make a massive Venn diagram with all those parties and see what's in the middle.

My guess is four wheels and a roof.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 10:13 (Ref:3897934)   #6548
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Now that’s a rule book!
Old 16 Apr 2019, 10:29 (Ref:3897938)   #6549
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I wouldn't be supremely confident about the roof, I've heard rumours that Ferrari want to go open-top, so they can save money by using their F1 tub (along with almost everything else from the car).

Four wheels should be agreed by all interested parties - as long as they all want the wheels to be the same size.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 10:30 (Ref:3897939)   #6550
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Someone should make a massive Venn diagram with all those parties and see what's in the middle.
I think that was done in post 2 of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510 View Post
The EVO rules are in a constant state of evolution
ie nobody knows yet!