Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Jun 2004, 16:00 (Ref:1003736)   #1
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VSCC Cadwell Park

A statement regarding the serious incident at VSCC Cadwell Park Race Meeting 13.06.2004

14 Jun
"CADWELL PARK RACE MEETING SUNDAY 13 JUNE 2004
On Sunday 13 June 2004, the Vintage Sports-Car Club organised The Shuttleworth and Nuffield Trophies race meeting under Motor Sports Association Permit at Cadwell Park, Nr Louth, Lincolnshire.

In the course of the final race a serious collision occurred involving two cars that then struck a marshalling post.

The incident was attended by the on-track medical facilities and Lincolnshire County Air Ambulance. Tragically, one of the drivers, Len Thompson, aged 64 of Stebbing, Essex, was pronounced dead on arrival at The Diana, Princess of Wales Hospital, Grimsby. The other driver, Pete Candy, aged 65 of Bournemouth was taken by air ambulance to Lincoln County Hospital suffering from multiple broken bones. Local marshal, Bob Yarrow of Scunthorpe suffered a broken ankle in the incident.

Investigations into the cause of this accident will be subject to the local police and Coroner's enquiries. In accordance with this, no further comment can be made by the VSCC."

Quite clearly, condolences to the family of the driver, and a speedy recovery to the other driver, and to a fellow marshal. Remember all, just because it's (generally) lower speed formulas, motor racing in all forms is still dangerous, and accidents do happen.

Alan.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 17:43 (Ref:1003808)   #2
chauffeur
Rookie

chauffeur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heart felt condolences to the family.I don't marshal that often but to witness an accident of that magnitude is really eye opening as well as sickening.Hope Bob has a speedy recovery after just getting back into marshalling.
My thought's are with all involved.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 18:23 (Ref:1003855)   #3
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My condolences to the family of Len Thompson.

I wish both Pete Candy and Bob Yarrow speedy recoveries.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 21:55 (Ref:1004083)   #4
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Novice
My condolences to the family of Len Thompson.

I wish both Pete Candy and Bob Yarrow speedy recoveries.
Ditto novice.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 23:47 (Ref:1004172)   #5
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a member of one of the rescue units attending the incident I can safely say that all directly involved with the incident felt a huge sense of loss afterwards and i am sure I can say without fear of reprisal that the thoughts of everyone go out to Len's family.
If anyone who was present feels the need to talk the please send me a pm and we can exchange phone numbers as a chat with a fellow marshal is often a good way of helping to deal with the aftermath of an incident as tragic as this..
Old 15 Jun 2004, 07:34 (Ref:1004331)   #6
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Gizmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blackx is I believe echoing the thoughts of everyone that was there...a desperate end to what should have been a great day of motorsport.

Last edited by Gizmo; 15 Jun 2004 at 07:34.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 07:46 (Ref:1004338)   #7
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mrs B and I also wish to send our thoughts and condolences to the family of Len Thompson. We also wish a full and speedy recovery to Pete Candy and Bob Yarrow.

Having watched the incident from Post 4 (about 3-400 metres away) we can only say that it was awful to watch it take place, seemingly in slow motion. The response of Race Control and the Medical Staff was rapid and excellent, as was that of the other Marshals near to the incident who attended as quickly as humanly possible.

The incident was a sad end to an otherwise superb race meeting. Should any Marshal still be shocked by the incident and want to talk about it with another Marshal who witnessed it, then please PM us and we'll give you our phone number.

Duncan
Old 15 Jun 2004, 08:18 (Ref:1004376)   #8
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spoke to Bob last night, he's in good spirits and intends to out at the next meeting.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 15:20 (Ref:1004891)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There have been a number of messages of condolance left via the VSCC website "Contacts" link.

All messages are going to be collated and passed on to the family of len Thompson