Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Jun 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2475284)   #26
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I'm not saying he is looking for an excuse to leave, but I just think maybe he's worried about losing his fanbase here if he seemingly turns his back on them and goes to race overseas.

Maybe I just jumped to a conclusion. Far enough. But it just seem that Mr. Whincup these days has an opinion of almost everything, and most of his opinions are, IMHO, negative towards the category and the way it is run.

Why the 'Sprint' tyre would get used at an 'endurance' race is beyond me. Did anyone else mention the possibility? Or is he just trying to get his name back in the headlines?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 4 Jun 2009, 11:31 (Ref:2475291)   #27
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
But it just seem that Mr. Whincup these days has an opinion of almost everything, and most of his opinions are, IMHO, negative towards the category and the way it is run.
He only makes the comments after he is asked a question. It's not a press release from Whincup. Leave the article and comments in perspective.

Must say Whincup is right on the ball with these comments.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2475294)   #28
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What difference do you think the Sprint tyre might have made to Brighty in '07? There are all sorts of reasons that they should open up the rules to let the Sprint tyres be used, say 6 tyres per meeting, use em when you want, must start the race on the tyres you qualified on, gives the crew chief/engineer extra options on the day!

How often did we hear from other current champions with (rolled out factory mush) tripe just cos they were the figure head. good to hear him speak what he thinks, provided thats what it is (also might get his name in the right places OS too remember).
Old 4 Jun 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2475304)   #29
bison69
Rookie

bison69 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Since when has anyone listened to what Whincup says anyway? He speaks crap, needs to harden up a bit and stop trying to always play the nice guy, just coz Lowndes does it doesn't mean he has to..
Old 4 Jun 2009, 12:16 (Ref:2475309)   #30
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a load of ******** the sprint tyre is just another contrived way of mixing up the competition given its a parity series - for a viewer its dammed hard to follow also - just race and the better guy/team wins how hards that - Ive been following motor sport 2 & 4 wheels since the mid 60's and I just dont get it why you have to play with a category to make it interesting for TV look at Formula Ford its just pure racing and its exciting.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2475312)   #31
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksie View Post
He only makes the comments after he is asked a question. It's not a press release from Whincup. Leave the article and comments in perspective.

Must say Whincup is right on the ball with these comments.
I agree with you on both counts- I don't think the sprint tyre has any place at Bathurst- But isn't threatening to quit overreacting a bit? I'm sure the backlash from drivers, team owners and fans if such a decision was made would be enough to V8SA to change their minds.

Then again, we do have a 3 tier, Top 10 shootout qualifying system for one race... And a 20 minute free-for-all for the other...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 4 Jun 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2475413)   #32
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i don't care if he ****s off or not but as stated above it's just journolism, it's what gets the punters in they only write the bits that sound good and the question is never writen in the article either, until i see it come from him without journolists putting words in his mouth i won't accuse him of having an alteria motive. if asked the question "if the soft tyre was used at the big events would you leave?" then he has probably just answered honestly and said what he did. however if he has said it and the question was only something like "should the soft tyre be used at the big events?" then it's just a childish comment to say and perhaps there was an alteria motive.

on the part of the soft tyre being kept from the big races i agree, the soft tyre is good for variety throughout the year but it dosn't have a place in the enduro's and the other big races.
Old 5 Jun 2009, 01:16 (Ref:2475691)   #33
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think all the comments in the article come from the Race 8 press conference? I can't watch it again to see (being in NZ), but they seem familiar.
Old 5 Jun 2009, 02:47 (Ref:2475717)   #34
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
by my crude calcs, the sprint tyre would only be really effective for around 13-16 laps, so anyone using it may go for a quick advantage, but give themselves an extra stop. what would it be worth on a race lap around bathurst? 5-6 seconds?

mind you, it would be interesting to see, if it was used at the mountain, how many crews would save the quick rubber for a splash dash final 10 lap assault.

food for thought, but id prefer to see it left out of the big race.
Old 5 Jun 2009, 02:58 (Ref:2475720)   #35
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But wouldn't it be great to chuck on a set when that last safety car comes with 10 to go? Lose track position but at 6 sec a lap it would almost be worth it...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 5 Jun 2009, 04:10 (Ref:2475736)   #36
opinion8head
Racer

New Zealand
Cow Country.
opinion8head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
But wouldn't it be great to chuck on a set when that last safety car comes with 10 to go? Lose track position but at 6 sec a lap it would almost be worth it...
certainly bring everyone to the edge of their seat for the finish.
like Brocky in the rain years ago ...GREAT STUFF!!
Gloves off for Bathurst....and the Enduros...Yeah!.
Old 5 Jun 2009, 07:58 (Ref:2475807)   #37
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6 seconds a lap,, get a firm hold of yourself. That means could see asub 2minute lap. In your dreams.
Old 5 Jun 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2475829)   #38
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downoz View Post
6 seconds a lap, get a firm hold of yourself. That means could see a sub 2 minute lap. In your dreams.
Wasn't the tyre meant to be around 2-3 seconds faster per lap? With most tracks around half the distance than Bathurst, it could mean we see a 1:59 minute lap.
Old 5 Jun 2009, 09:12 (Ref:2475845)   #39
opinion8head
Racer

New Zealand
Cow Country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Wasn't the tyre meant to be around 2-3 seconds faster per lap? With most tracks around half the distance than Bathurst, it could mean we see a 1:59 minute lap.
Old 5 Jun 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2475848)   #40
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you'll find at Bathurst, if you were to go hell for leather around the top, 4-6 seconds per lap would be the target - However, in the October heat, for that gain I honestly reckon we'll see alot of incidents, alot of blown tyres and alot of drivers blowing gaskets.

Might be fun for a bit, but I'm sure we'd all hate to see our favourites gone by lap 60.

The tyres effect I also think is negated a bit by weather - Symmons didn't yield as much as Winton, and I think as it heats up it will be alot more effective. So, if it is cold, I think it wont be as good as if it's hot. It may be a different kettle of fish per year.

That said, if this is the future, then the drivers will need to blow a year to find the happy medium.
Old 5 Jun 2009, 09:33 (Ref:2475859)   #41
opinion8head
Racer

New Zealand
Cow Country.
But with 10/14 laps to go...??
Old 5 Jun 2009, 09:35 (Ref:2475861)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or a car near the back because of a poor day, straps on the soft tyres, with no fuel in the car, and goes about resetting the lap record to a level that would blow the existing laptimes away

I would doubt a car would do sub-2 minutes... even if the video games suggest it can be done but it could be fun to see just how good the drivers could do.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Jun 2009, 10:50 (Ref:2475894)   #43
opinion8head
Racer

New Zealand
Cow Country.
Yep...It would be a kick for whoever aced the shot...and a real blast if it was one of the not so "highly rated" drivers...Wildcard stuff... it.
Would make any driver and crews day I recon...

we'd hear some sooking afterwards...as usual.

He who dares wins...let em go for it!
Old 5 Jun 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2475931)   #44
Ricky Bobby
Racer

Australia
Ricky Bobby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by opinion8head View Post
certainly bring everyone to the edge of their seat for the finish.
WHAT?
Haven't you watched the last few races at Bathurst?
How much closer do you want the cars at the end of a 1000KM race?
The finishes have had me on the edge of my seat without a sprint tyre in sight.
Old 5 Jun 2009, 22:44 (Ref:2476242)   #45
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
fully agree ricky bobby. the last 3 at least have been awesome finishes, so close. except we were well past edge of set, we were standing up cheering.
Old 6 Jun 2009, 00:24 (Ref:2476274)   #46
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downoz View Post
6 seconds a lap,, get a firm hold of yourself. That means could see asub 2minute lap. In your dreams.
You might be surprised Downoz, but somehow I don't think we will ever find out!
Old 6 Jun 2009, 00:54 (Ref:2476292)   #47
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
wasnt the intention to run a second to a second and a half quicker per minute, thus it would only be about 3 seconds a lap. and with the long straights it might even been less
Old 6 Jun 2009, 03:40 (Ref:2476321)   #48
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frosty says "and, uh" a lot as well...we should start a new thread on this!!!
All seriousness, JW is a great driver, bad personality. What is it about drivers winning championships/Bathurst's and turning into ********s? Is it all part of the success, or another one of "Fat Tony's" silly policies?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 6 Jun 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2476376)   #49
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Our friends on #7's V8XTRA seemed to take it seriously, Mr Noonan running a piece with footage taken directly from the conference in question.

A pity nobody has considered that the driver in question was pretty much a deer in the headlights, and really didnt have his usual 'automaton' responses to fire back.

Where will he go? Is there room in NASCAR for him? Can the 888 connection get him a gig in the BTCC? Or is it all paper-talk?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Jun 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2476383)   #50
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
BTCC a step up? Don't reckon.