Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jul 2019, 16:43 (Ref:3917620)   #101
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
For what it's worth, Vettel went to apologize to Verstappen right away, even before Max got out of his car.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 16:45 (Ref:3917621)   #102
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Max said those things to the Motorsport.com reporters. But he also said he could see things falling off the floor. Not sure how you can see your own floor when driving.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/v...crash/4495077/
Old 14 Jul 2019, 16:48 (Ref:3917624)   #103
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
That's strange, on German TV after the race Max said there was basically *nothing wrong* with the car and that he was lucky it was still in one piece.

He certainly did not name ANY of the things you mentioned, just mentioned some dirt on the tires that went away after a lap or 2.
that says a lot about German TV

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...VA3TgXrJ2.html
Old 14 Jul 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3917625)   #104
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Did a mod go to quote my post and write 'bloody hero' and end up editing my post by mistake?
Old 14 Jul 2019, 16:54 (Ref:3917626)   #105
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes and I apologise. It was me.

That's the trouble with working on a phone. I obviously clicked edit instead of quote.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3917628)   #106
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Did a mod go to quote my post and write 'bloody hero' and end up editing my post by mistake?
Not guilty. Though I am a mod, I can only edit on the IndyCar forum.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3917629)   #107
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Or not. It was an interview with Max himself, not a second-hand quote or made-up story like you seem to suggest.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 17:02 (Ref:3917630)   #108
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Not guilty. Though I am a mod, I can only edit on the IndyCar forum.
It was Mr Mallett, obviously getting vertigo having navigated all the way up from the Historic Racing Today forum to the giddy heights of Formula 1
Old 14 Jul 2019, 17:26 (Ref:3917633)   #109
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Or not. It was an interview with Max himself, not a second-hand quote or made-up story like you seem to suggest.
But other media, including the official F1 site mentions the damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula1.com
“I honestly don't know how I brought that car to the finish,” said Verstappen. “My power steering failed, my seat was out, so all the time on the braking I was moving forward. In the high-speed corners I was moving left to right and then the car was really neutral. When I jumped out of the car the whole floor and rear was destroyed so [I'm] so happy to finish fifth.”
Old 14 Jul 2019, 17:34 (Ref:3917634)   #110
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
It was Mr Mallett, obviously getting vertigo having navigated all the way up from the Historic Racing Today forum to the giddy heights of Formula 1
I hate you. But yes, my mistake.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 17:34 (Ref:3917635)   #111
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
But other media, including the official F1 site mentions the damage
Maybe, but Max Vestappen himself denied there was anything basically wrong with his car when interviewed live. I think I rather believe the words from the man himself.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3917637)   #112
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Maybe, but Max Vestappen himself denied there was anything basically wrong with his car when interviewed live. I think I rather believe the words from the man himself.
why would he tell a different story to ALL other media?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XaJ_G6Siz4
Old 14 Jul 2019, 17:54 (Ref:3917639)   #113
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
why would he tell a different story to ALL other media?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XaJ_G6Siz4
I don't know, do you?
Maybe he is a liar? Or maybe he realized that the damage wasn't as bad as he first thought it was, and gave more correct answers in the later interviews?

Your guess is probably as good as mine.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 18:16 (Ref:3917642)   #114
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
I don't know, do you?
Maybe he is a liar? Or maybe he realized that the damage wasn't as bad as he first thought it was, and gave more correct answers in the later interviews?

Your guess is probably as good as mine.

or maybe you don't understand the German language very good?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...ite-incredible
Old 14 Jul 2019, 18:22 (Ref:3917644)   #115
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
or maybe you don't understand the German language very good?
I do, better than Max can speak it. He used a few Dutch words because he didn't know the right German word at the time.

No problem, but that was just a bit funny.

--

You can quote all English based journals you want, but that doesn't change a thing. Probably they are based on the same interview you already linked to (the Youtube one), so in fact that's just 1 source, not 2 or 3 or 33.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 18:26 (Ref:3917645)   #116
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
I do, better than Max can speak it. He used a few Dutch word because he didn't know the right German word at the time.

now I know you're just talking BS, I know you don't like Max, but no need to make things up.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 18:35 (Ref:3917646)   #117
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
now I know you're just talking BS, I know you don't like Max, but no need to make things up.
Who are you to judge if I can understand German or not?

And there's no need to call me a liar based on things you have a hard time believing.
I take offense at being accused like that.

Max did use a Dutch word because he didn't know the German word at that time.
There is nothing wrong with that. Since German and Dutch are closely related the German interviewer understood what he was trying to say, offered the correct German word, Max nodded, and rephrased what he had said now using the correct German word.

There's nothing wrong with that technique, it's used quite often if you are trying to explain something in a language that's not your own
Old 14 Jul 2019, 18:46 (Ref:3917649)   #118
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh come on children......
Old 14 Jul 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3917650)   #119
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Oh come on children......
Sorry dad.

I just don't like to be falsely accused.

Back to the race: I think finally Kubica was quite close to Russell. Was that genuine, or did he too get a lucky break because of the safety car?
I think after Vettel's pitstop for the nose change, Kubica was only 7 seconds behind Russell.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 18:58 (Ref:3917651)   #120
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
As I said at the start of this thread..Ferrari must be looking elsewhere for next year. Vettel appears to have "lost" any 4 times World Champ "stuff". Just retire mate..
Old 14 Jul 2019, 19:23 (Ref:3917657)   #121
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Sorry dad.

I just don't like to be falsely accused.

So how come Horner also says there was a lot of damage and he does not know how Max got that car to the finish?

and since your German is so good

https://www.motorsport-total.com/for...-ziel-19071417
Old 14 Jul 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3917658)   #122
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
From Crash . net

“The power steering more or less failed so it was quite a hard work out for me. The seat popped out so it was moving around a lot and the floor was quite badly damaged. The car was not what it should have been but of course still happy to be fifth.”

Dont know why people on here are arguing, or indeed what point either side were trying to make out of this. Suggest we move on to discussing who Ferrari should bring in as a replacement for the guy who caused yet another completely avoidable accident .
Old 14 Jul 2019, 19:40 (Ref:3917662)   #123
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
So how come Horner also says there was a lot of damage and he does not know how Max got that car to the finish?

and since your German is so good

https://www.motorsport-total.com/for...-ziel-19071417
If you read back a few posts, it think it is clear that Aysedasi wanted us to stop. That is me AND you.
So, I'm going to ignore this.

I would appreciate though if you would not try to belittle what other poster's know, do or can.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 19:44 (Ref:3917663)   #124
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
As I said at the start of this thread..Ferrari must be looking elsewhere for next year. Vettel appears to have "lost" any 4 times World Champ "stuff". Just retire mate..
Maybe a retirement is not necessary.
There's a lot of sense in what Akrapovic posted.

If it is a matter of confidence in car and pit crew, then maybe not all is lost.

Even with the crappy season he's got so far, he's still ahead of Leclerc.

There's still 10 more races to gain confidence.

A good performance in Germany and/or Monza can mean a lot of good.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 19:57 (Ref:3917670)   #125
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Whilst this is true, Ferrari also need to look at the decisions they make. They got away with it because of Vettels accident, but a poor call (again) cost Leclerc.

Without Vettel we'd still be telling Ferrari to get it together. They will not beat Mercedes with calls like this.