Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Oct 2018, 01:14 (Ref:3856737)   #326
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Exciting race though as mentioned above the commentary has reached the point where it's missing too many important moments on track and a change needs to be made.

Funny thing is, I was watching on FSGO with the commentary team that gets oh so much more criticism and they covered the finish exceptionally well.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 01:15 (Ref:3856738)   #327
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
Was that Pigot in the #55 that crossed the line on the grass? That just descended into madness.
Was that not Albuquerque? Listening to him now, you can hear the despondency in his voice.

Glad to see Sellers & Snow take the GTD title at least.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 01:18 (Ref:3856739)   #328
RedSquirrel
Racer

Ireland
RedSquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Was that not Albuquerque? Listening to him now, you can hear the despondency in his voice.

Glad to see Sellers & Snow take the GTD title at least.
Maybe, but I thought it was moving a bit too quickly for a car with no combustion from its internal combustion engine.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 01:18 (Ref:3856740)   #329
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Well, that was an exciting race.
I'm off too bed, it's almost 20 past 3 in the morning here.
See you guys next time.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 01:19 (Ref:3856741)   #330
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
That's not too bad, but I'm sure they know they could have won this one.
Restarts absolutely kill them, they cannot get the tires to work at all on them.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 01:20 (Ref:3856742)   #331
RedSquirrel
Racer

Ireland
RedSquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best IMSA race of the year? I think so.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 01:25 (Ref:3856745)   #332
Joe Bernard
Rookie

Joe Bernard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
That was shockingly poor from Hindhaugh & Shaw. Right in front of them there was a last-corner pass for the lead (even the director caught it), but let's gab about 9th place for 20 seconds.
There was soooo much of this today. It sounded like two guys reading reports of the race from Twitter and trying to jump on air with it as soon as possible. Very strange.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 01:43 (Ref:3856749)   #333
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoa! Why do I even bother with other racing series? Whoa!
Old 14 Oct 2018, 02:07 (Ref:3856750)   #334
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
There was soooo much of this today. It sounded like two guys reading reports of the race from Twitter and trying to jump on air with it as soon as possible. Very strange.
That was ... odd. You have to be happy The Director was not infuenced by that and pull the feed off the finish.

Great result for Mazda, hope it holds through Tech. (not implying anything, just commenting on their usual luck)
Old 14 Oct 2018, 03:04 (Ref:3856754)   #335
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Listening from the track I thought the radio team did a great job. Yes there are mistakes, but I knew more about what was going on because they were commentating. Couldn't have followed the race without them.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 03:38 (Ref:3856757)   #336
Joe Bernard
Rookie

Joe Bernard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Listening from the track I thought the radio team did a great job. Yes there are mistakes, but I knew more about what was going on because they were commentating. Couldn't have followed the race without them.
It was informative and may have worked better for you onsite where you could look where you wanted, but for online viewers it was oddly disconnected from what was on screen much of the time. It sounded more like a talk show about racing than guys talking about the race they were watching.

Last edited by Joe Bernard; 14 Oct 2018 at 03:47.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 08:37 (Ref:3856769)   #337
Tique
Racer

France
Paris
Tique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great race but we can say that we had a very good season this year.

Hopefully, it will even better next year with Joest pushing a bit further the performance of the Mazda. It will be year 2 for Penske too. QUestion mark is ESM.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 10:44 (Ref:3856786)   #338
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, that was a proper IMSA race, a lot of strategy built around the assumption of yellow flag periods and a rather thrilling finish, Cadillac winning and Mazda Mazda-ing.

Was hoping Core would find a way, especially as they'll be robbed of that chance next year, but kudos to them and especially to Jon Bennett for giving it such a good go.

Hopefully Nissan see the value in helping ESM come back in their own colours next year, but I won't hold my breath. I wonder if Porsche would let Core run a Nissan prototype team...
Old 14 Oct 2018, 15:21 (Ref:3856807)   #339
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just got home and haven't read all the way through this thread, but what a beautiful weekend full of lots of ontrack action! It was certainly one of the best times I've spent at the track and great way to top off the season. Can't wait for the next one!
Old 15 Oct 2018, 23:10 (Ref:3857045)   #340
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
I got to have my special time at the Petit Le Mans on Friday.

Back in the day, we would spend a whole week up at the track while giving web updates each day. That whole week has been reduced to a day these days.

The passing of Don Panoz just before the 2018 Petit Le Mans was a shock. We knew each other.

Here are my photos of a special day for me.

Godspeed and RIP Don Panoz, you will be remembered and missed.

http://www.lasersol.com/CyberMotor/p...mans_2018.html
Old 15 Oct 2018, 23:57 (Ref:3857049)   #341
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post

Back in the day, we would spend a whole week up at the track while giving web updates each day. That whole week has been reduced to a day these days.

The passing of Don Panoz just before the 2018 Petit Le Mans was a shock. We knew each other.

I feel like most of the updates now end up around camp with 4 of us who post often in the same camp. And it does seem like the Euro interest is minimal but still more intense than any race outside of LM itself.

As FoD said above, great weather, great event, close racing without contrived laps back and other gimmicks. And teams pushing themselves to the end giving everything in hopes they didn't end up with nothing. Great week and another sad Sunday packing up with another year till we do it all again.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 01:43 (Ref:3857061)   #342
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post

Great photos! I'm glad to have been to the races there starting in 2000. Pretty sure we saw him on some of the earlier grid walks, but never met the man. I don't want to fight my way through that anymore. I'm sure Friday may have been part struggle and part comforting for you...

I was thankful to be there for this one and sign the banner, second to the left of the "z" with a simple "thank you". It's about all I could or needed to say!
Old 16 Oct 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3857114)   #343
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good comparison between 2008 to 2018 Petit Le Mans trap speeds.

https://racer.com/2018/10/13/insight...s-trap-speeds/
Old 16 Oct 2018, 13:37 (Ref:3857116)   #344
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Good comparison between 2008 to 2018 Petit Le Mans trap speeds.

https://racer.com/2018/10/13/insight...s-trap-speeds/
That was pretty interesting. Always amazed to see the power produced by those diesel P1 cars back in the day.

Given how much heavier today's P2/DPi cars are, they really aren't in that bad of shape compared to the old P2's either.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3857144)   #345
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crazy good race, with all the fuel drama at the end and CORE praying, I got sad for them. I have a feeling that Mazda have lost the race at the last pitstop, they lost lot of positions and it was too late to regain.

What was the cause of the penalty for Derani?

Great race, end of a short era, no more Contis, maybe no more Nissan, and we will have almost a formula Caddy with at least seven cars of the brand.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 18:00 (Ref:3857147)   #346
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
Crazy good race, with all the fuel drama at the end and CORE praying, I got sad for them. I have a feeling that Mazda have lost the race at the last pitstop, they lost lot of positions and it was too late to regain.

What was the cause of the penalty for Derani?

Great race, end of a short era, no more Contis, maybe no more Nissan, and we will have almost a formula Caddy with at least seven cars of the brand.
No penalty I don't believe, they were running low on fuel and possibly had a puncture towards the end. I may have missed it but it seemed like Paul was calling them out right after the "last round" of pit stops that it was prob 8-10 laps too early.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3857150)   #347
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
No penalty I don't believe, they were running low on fuel and possibly had a puncture towards the end. I may have missed it but it seemed like Paul was calling them out right after the "last round" of pit stops that it was prob 8-10 laps too early.
Thanks. I couldn't see the car stopping, and the commentators in FS3 said it was a passthrough penalty. The car was slowing down the laps before to enter to the pits, so it have sense what you said.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 20:57 (Ref:3857169)   #348
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
Thanks. I couldn't see the car stopping, and the commentators in FS3 said it was a passthrough penalty. The car was slowing down the laps before to enter to the pits, so it have sense what you said.
I read somewhere that Pipo had a puncture and had to make their (originally planned) last pitstop many laps early. In short, the puncture likely cost them the victory.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 14:56 (Ref:3857302)   #349
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
They sure were, although the latter generations were certainly getting prettier / less ugly.
All were hideous except for Corvette DP
Old 17 Oct 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3857304)   #350
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
Best IMSA race of the year? I think so.
No, too many cautions flags still