Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Jul 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3108213)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2012 Shannons Supercar Showdown

Its baaaaacck.

A new crew of pilots-to-be including...

– Adrian Cottrell
– Jesse Dixon
– Sarah Harley
– Ryal Harris
– Andre Heimgartner
– Jack Le Brocq
– Andrew McLean
– Ed Sevadjian
– Samantha Stevens
– Glen Wood

There are a couple of gun steerers in there, who should be quick.. some seem to have arrived on the strength of other attributes.

As for the car... it seems the otherwise dormant LDM WP chassis shall be pressed into service, run by FF & Dunlop Series team Minda Motorsport Story Here to run that rocketship at Bathurst in the SCAR1000....

The first edition will apparently be shown on Monday, July 23 at 6.30pm on 7Mate. Except most working people wont be home to watch by then.. presumably there will be an online podcast/webcast for later viewing

Any tips on who will win?

I would imagine that Mr Heimgartner, Mr LeBrocq, Mr Cottrell & Mr Harris are likely to be on strong form pace-wise...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Jul 2012, 00:03 (Ref:3108285)   #2
stigette
Rookie

stigette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
...some seem to have arrived on the strength of other attributes...
I'm curious GTR...what are these 'other attributes' you refer to?

I really hope you aren't referring to the female competitors and their 'physical' attributes...because both ladies have a mountain of racing experience and a truckload of trophies between them...which is more than enough to justify a spot on the show in my opinion

A great line up of racers there, sure to make for interesting viewing!
Old 19 Jul 2012, 00:17 (Ref:3108292)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having 2 media bods in there, a foreign exotic... if you had to list the top 10 drivers floating around the sport that had the talent, but not quite the opportunity to benefit from such a program, perhaps some of these 10 would not necessarily be the first choice..
Old 19 Jul 2012, 01:54 (Ref:3108320)   #4
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a reality TV show.... methinks some people's expectations are a tad high.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 04:14 (Ref:3108351)   #5
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ryal will surprise a few people, he can certainly steer a racecar very well.

And good luck to my friend Sammy, another good steerer and will take none of the "I'm only here for my looks" crap.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 19 Jul 2012, 05:15 (Ref:3108363)   #6
stigette
Rookie

stigette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Having 2 media bods in there, a foreign exotic... if you had to list the top 10 drivers floating around the sport that had the talent, but not quite the opportunity to benefit from such a program, perhaps some of these 10 would not necessarily be the first choice..
I think you may find quite a few of those people you would consider to be 'first choices' for the show are smart enough to give it a wide berth. Clever editing can destroy reputations and careers in seconds, so you have to ask yourself is it really worth it?

I'm surprised Morgan Haber didn't get a look-in...the kid has certainly impressed me with his V8TC debut. Wasn't so sure he would make the switch from Swifts to V8's successfully but I was pleasantly surprised!

Jack Le Brocq is looking pretty good for the win IMO.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 06:56 (Ref:3108401)   #7
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is the texan there because of a certain race location next year, or am I reading into things too much?
Old 19 Jul 2012, 09:34 (Ref:3108454)   #8
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
Yes I think so

That said I hope Harris or Heimgartner get the drive, those guys are either of those two are quite talented and deserve a chance to show their stuff. But then again talent isnt the deciding outcome in this series.....

Interesting to see a Motor magazine journalist on that list. Dont know his background but has he done any racing at all?
Old 19 Jul 2012, 09:40 (Ref:3108458)   #9
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why is Samantha Stevens getting another go?

I'd understand if she was the first one booted off last season, but she nearly won it.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 10:01 (Ref:3108466)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Why is Samantha Stevens getting another go?

I'd understand if she was the first one booted off last season, but she nearly won it.
Ms Stevens wasnt on last year's show... that was Amber Anderson..
Old 19 Jul 2012, 10:07 (Ref:3108472)   #11
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, sorry. I'm mistaken for Samantha Reid.

I'll let myself out...
Old 19 Jul 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3108483)   #12
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Cameron Waters show, last year, that this is a bad idea?
Old 19 Jul 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3108484)   #13
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Yeah, sorry. I'm mistaken for Samantha Reid.

I'll let myself out...
I wouldnt be too worried if I were you. I got the two mixed up until I went to the website.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 10:26 (Ref:3108485)   #14
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
interesting concept but for a V8SC drive at bathurst of all places....last year was a roaring success.....NOT....sorry but this B/S makes a mockery of motorsport and all the hard working drivers trying to earn their stripes(so to speak) to make the main game,not to mention the financial commitment and heartache from the parents/sponsors/supporters......i would have thought motorsport was better than this crap....but i guess the kelly's will make a pretty penny from this circus...
Old 19 Jul 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3108496)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its motorsport, since the beginning of time motorsport has not been about the best driver, its been about the car and the money.

Many is the drive, especially at Bathurst, that is paid for, nothing to do with talent, but who has the most cash.

We have a cut off time to deal with this, if they meet the time they are in, if they dont they are out. its no big deal

To have a driver competition, is nothing new, apart from it being prime time TV (in Australia)

Many is the rookie who has turned up at Bathurst and put it in the wall, and long may they continue to do it thats part of the Bathurst legend, running a sweep on when they put it into the wall
Old 20 Jul 2012, 04:43 (Ref:3108875)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope Le Brocq gets it, but I think it will be Heimgartner due to having the most relevant recent experience...

Still not a fan of the concept though.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 06:58 (Ref:3108892)   #17
kingers
Racer

kingers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heimgartner has it in the bag

Very mature head on his shoulders for his age, damn fast... not a car wrecker!
He is the most suitable driver to take this experience any further as he has a very bright future. The others I think it would be a one off event imo.

Old 21 Jul 2012, 10:38 (Ref:3109419)   #18
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
from what I understand, it's all been done and won already.

I'll watch it. It was ok last year.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 00:38 (Ref:3110087)   #19
woodduck97
Rookie

woodduck97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be keeping an eye on Jesse Dixon. Very polite and presentable young man who can steer well. Those might remember he very nearly pinched a race win on debut in V8 utes. Not as well renowned as some of the others in there but should keep a very good account of himself.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 10:49 (Ref:3110242)   #20
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
So did anyone watch tonight?

I did. It felt pretty much like last years show but with different people. No massive changes Ive seen so far but then again it was only ep 1 so who knows what drama lies in store. Decent waste of a half hour whilst I was having dinner.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3110250)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
You can go online and watch the profiles of the pilots at https://www.shannons.com.au/supercarshowdown/

There are a couple of very well presented people there, some with different goals, different outcomes being sought... and some who seem just chuffed to have been nominated...
Old 24 Jul 2012, 07:10 (Ref:3110649)   #22
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You can go online and watch the profiles of the pilots at https://www.shannons.com.au/supercarshowdown/

There are a couple of very well presented people there, some with different goals, different outcomes being sought... and some who seem just chuffed to have been nominated...
Nominated GTR ?? So who does this nominating ?

The reason I ask is, I heard a bit of a whisper this week that a regular competitor, in a National series, is er... how do I put this ? quite a bit miffed at not being asked to be on the show.

Clearly this misguided individual possibly needed to go do some campaigning to have got themselves 'nominated' for the show ?

Having said that, the question that remains is what sort of playing field is this competition? Is it all about: your speed, your marketability, the $$$ you could potentially generate, free publicity ?
Seems to me the whole thing is far from even-steven ?
Old 24 Jul 2012, 07:43 (Ref:3110664)   #23
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If one assumes that the show has been run and done as ff says, it may be interesting that minda motorsport has been announced as the team that will run the shannons v8supercar entry at bathurst.

Who races for Minda in formula ford?.....Le Brocq

IMHO Andre Heimgartner is the only one who should be considered out of the bunch for the drive considering his drives in the nz supertourer's and carrera cup.

From what i saw the show is as bad as it was last year.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 08:43 (Ref:3110684)   #24
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If its over and done with already, have they done what some other reality shows do and shoot a couple of different endings???
Old 24 Jul 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3110695)   #25
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Surely if it was over and done with the would put some drivers in for Sandown