Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Oct 2012, 13:10 (Ref:3147072)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
V8 Supercars and beyond

I like the fact that the V8's are changing as my Grandpa always says "Theres nothing as permenant as change" or something like that.

with the COTF and 4 Manufacturers going on in 2013. (gonna miss the Red Vs Blue fights though) This sport is gonna evolve and I guess that's why people don't like the way it's heading, cause Group A/B/C/D is gone and they missed the Variety of cars and the fact that some makes perform better at certain places then others. But I always wondered ....I don't see people in the stands flying a Mercedes Flag in the future. will this Series turn into NASCAR type racing in the long run?
Old 6 Oct 2012, 14:14 (Ref:3147101)   #2
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
(gonna miss the Red Vs Blue fights though)
Why would Red vs Blue go anywhere?

the Ford vs Holden battle was born with plenty of other cars in the races... hell when the 'legend' was born the cars fighting for victory were the "big three" - Ford, Holden & Chrysler/Valiant

The Holden vs Ford battle will continue as passionatly as ever, there will just be some other shapes in the races too as there was in the past

Quote:
But I always wondered ....I don't see people in the stands flying a Mercedes Flag in the future. will this Series turn into NASCAR type racing in the long run?
NASCAR type racing is exactly what V8Supercars have been aiming for since the 'entertainers' took the reigns isn't it??

Nissan had a sort of cult following during their initial spell in local touring car racing from 1981-1992, you did see Nissan & BMW flags getting waved about
Old 6 Oct 2012, 14:25 (Ref:3147106)   #3
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Why would Red vs Blue go anywhere?

the Ford vs Holden battle was born with plenty of other cars in the races... hell when the 'legend' was born the cars fighting for victory were the "big three" - Ford, Holden & Chrysler/Valiant

The Holden vs Ford battle will continue as passionatly as ever, there will just be some other shapes in the races too as there was in the past

NASCAR type racing is exactly what V8Supercars have been aiming for since the 'entertainers' took the reigns isn't it??

Nissan had a sort of cult following during their initial spell in local touring car racing from 1981-1992, you did see Nissan & BMW flags getting waved about
yes and look at it now, 50 years on we still have Bathurst, the racing is awesome and close and the Channel 7 coverage is ok. I think the whole event is what makes racing. just hope it doesn't turn into Nascar where they put bodyshapes on them and make them look nothing like their stock versions.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3147131)   #4
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
yes and look at it now, 50 years on we still have Bathurst, the racing is awesome and close and the Channel 7 coverage is ok. I think the whole event is what makes racing. just hope it doesn't turn into Nascar where they put bodyshapes on them and make them look nothing like their stock versions.
And worse, have an oval course round where they turn right and ad infinitum.

If they're heading in that direction, why can't they cooperate with NASCAR?
Old 7 Oct 2012, 08:49 (Ref:3147476)   #5
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

the 'entertainers' only got control in 1997

next year we will have an exact NASCAR formula effectively, everything the same bar the engine and bodyshell....disgusting
Old 7 Oct 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3147495)   #6
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
(gonna miss the Red Vs Blue fights though)
Whilst red vs blue may be gone, red vs blue vs black vs silver will be born
Old 7 Oct 2012, 09:54 (Ref:3147506)   #7
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
the 'entertainers' only got control in 1997

next year we will have an exact NASCAR formula effectively, everything the same bar the engine and bodyshell....disgusting
thats what I dont like about it and the way COTF program is going (if thats where it's going) cause really the new manufacturers are gonna have the same specifications stuffed into the cars but gonna be on different badges, the only plus I see out of it is that the cars are gonna be faster. gonna see some new lap records next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Whilst red vs blue may be gone, red vs blue vs black vs silver will be born
NASCAR grid much?
Old 7 Oct 2012, 10:06 (Ref:3147508)   #8
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
NASCAR grid much?
Exactly
Old 7 Oct 2012, 19:19 (Ref:3147779)   #9
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Don't they turn left?
Old 7 Oct 2012, 21:30 (Ref:3147854)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Only because they're LH drive, whereas Australia drives on the proper side of the road.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 03:33 (Ref:3147983)   #11
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

If they're heading in that direction, why can't they cooperate with NASCAR?
How would it be worse?

Oval race with them would probably be pretty damn exciting.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 11:50 (Ref:3148164)   #12
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We used to have that. Auscar racing, at Calder Park.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 14:31 (Ref:3148257)   #13
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
We used to have that. Auscar racing, at Calder Park.
lol that would've been fun to watch..
Old 8 Oct 2012, 22:46 (Ref:3148536)   #14
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was, especially the support categories that ran on there......

I think some of you guys are reading into this too much. I doubt they'll ever race on ovals and sooner or later we'll probably be back to 2 manufacturers. Probably 3 sooner......

I've got nothing to do with the sport, but in my opinion this is a shot in arm that the series needs, mix things up for a bit. Hopefully the COTF levels the field up a bit, but we all know that powerhouse teams usually stay strong.
Old 9 Oct 2012, 05:10 (Ref:3148655)   #15
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
.....will this Series turn into NASCAR type racing in the long run?
I remember talking to someone at length at Queensland Raceway about the future of the sport when Triple Eight had their COTF car on display and I quipped that the sport will be heading down the direction of DTM (German Touring Car Masters) rather than NASCAR which the Triple Eight PR person was saying. The guy and the PR person agreed that the series would be following down the path of DTM rather than NASCAR.

Also if you look at the current DTM car and COTF, there isn't that much difference.
Old 9 Oct 2012, 07:26 (Ref:3148681)   #16
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Except for the Brad Jones winning everything part, yep.
Old 9 Oct 2012, 08:16 (Ref:3148695)   #17
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Watch for yourself and judge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPqFLGUZ0dw
Old 9 Oct 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3148858)   #18
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I remember talking to someone at length at Queensland Raceway about the future of the sport when Triple Eight had their COTF car on display and I quipped that the sport will be heading down the direction of DTM (German Touring Car Masters) rather than NASCAR which the Triple Eight PR person was saying. The guy and the PR person agreed that the series would be following down the path of DTM rather than NASCAR.

Also if you look at the current DTM car and COTF, there isn't that much difference.
DTM to me is not that very exciting, they have so many rules about every little thing. they got cars that look further away from their stock represented cars as the years go by...yes the cars are fast and agile, but there's not alot of overtaking, or as much action and eventful as a race in V8's. And I definatly dont wanna see them turn into NASCAR with the body shapes on them and the weird rules they got runnin.

Quote:
Watch for yourself and judge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPqFLGUZ0dw
Didn't even know this existed, was pretty cool. I dont normally like oval racing, But that I can bear with.
Old 9 Oct 2012, 17:13 (Ref:3148929)   #19
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post

Oh yeah the carbon fiber tubbed single seater chassis with carbon body with slightly less aero than a f1 that is the current DTM car is just like our v8 COTF..... If you mean they share the same idea of common chassis and parts across the different makes then yeah alright I get where you're coming from...

Last edited by St00ge; 9 Oct 2012 at 17:22.
Old 9 Oct 2012, 19:52 (Ref:3149011)   #20
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm hoping that with the race here in the states next May, the series can get more US fans and bring the fight to nascar. Especially after the race at Dega, lots of unhappy drivers and fans.
Old 9 Oct 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3149082)   #21
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And I definatly dont wanna see them turn into NASCAR with the body shapes on them and the weird rules they got runnin.
since when are there rules in NASCAR?
Old 10 Oct 2012, 11:15 (Ref:3149345)   #22
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't wait for the stunned silence when some nuffy commentator yells at the crowd "are there any Mercedes fans here???............"
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 10 Oct 2012, 11:31 (Ref:3149353)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Can't wait for the stunned silence when some nuffy commentator yells at the crowd "are there any Mercedes fans here???............"
Agreed. It did get a bit repetitive on the weekend

Old 10 Oct 2012, 17:22 (Ref:3149537)   #24
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Agreed. It did get a bit repetitive on the weekend

Hmm, needs some Yellow... like Renault.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 17:38 (Ref:3149550)   #25
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Nissan is owned by Renault

I would like to see BMW with the 5-series.