Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 May 2017, 09:47 (Ref:3733806)   #51
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Quotes from Supercars, Lambden and Greg Siddle is light on sources? I think your Peter Mckay dislike has gotten in your way of reading the article...especially as the article comes across more positively for Super5000 than FT5000.....
really supercars? an inanimate object spoke. who actually spoke, no one. Most of that was a rehash of other articles we have already read and then tainted. Greg siddle, just a random person really, whats his involvement, just merely an opinion

Lambden, well that was rehash of his comments from previous

Like i said, makes James Phelps look good
Old 16 May 2017, 09:48 (Ref:3733807)   #52
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
So does this Supercars car actually exist , has anyone seen a photo of this "car"?

I think it is just a myth.

If they are fair dinkum lets see some hard evidence, if not then let Chris Lambden get on with his project without unnecessary and unwarranted distraction.

If there is some ulterior motive then it is a pretty poor reflection on Australian motorsport.
It ran on the Monday at PI after the supercars were there and was peddled by a current supercars driver. It exists and it runs.

Lambden has gone very quiet on his project though, almost like he's waiting to see what happens with this other car but he needs to be out there at every opportunity running the thing and getting exposure.
Old 16 May 2017, 10:11 (Ref:3733813)   #53
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
Lambden has gone very quiet on his project though, almost like he's waiting to see what happens with this other car but he needs to be out there at every opportunity running the thing and getting exposure.
He should be doing what Marc Cars have done. Evaluation days in a few states.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 16 May 2017, 10:45 (Ref:3733822)   #54
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
really supercars? an inanimate object spoke. who actually spoke, no one. Most of that was a rehash of other articles we have already read and then tainted. Greg siddle, just a random person really, whats his involvement, just merely an opinion
I would say the quote came from a Supercars spokesperson, speaking on behalf of the organisation. Happens in most organisations & news stories. (if the roles were reversed, and the article written by someone else, i'm sure you would find no fault with the piece)

Greg Siddle a random person? Only the most influential person in Australian open-wheel racing in the last 40 years. Where would Mark Larkham have gotten without him? Or Roberto Moreno for that matter when it comes to International talent. His opinion is worth alot actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi
He has been. The car has been getting plenty of testing miles with Tim Macrow at the wheel, and the car did plenty of laps at the Muscle Car Masters last year.

Would have been nice if the car could have gotten some exposure at a Supercars event though wouldn't it....
Old 16 May 2017, 11:14 (Ref:3733827)   #55
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

He has been. The car has been getting plenty of testing miles with Tim Macrow at the wheel, and the car did plenty of laps at the Muscle Car Masters last year.

Would have been nice if the car could have gotten some exposure at a Supercars event though wouldn't it....
Yes, last year. That's the problem, it's may 2017 and he wants to begin the season in early 2018. The car needs to be doing much more in 2017 than it is if he wants to sell 12 cars to get production under way and ready for January.
Old 16 May 2017, 15:08 (Ref:3733882)   #56
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMO, the Supercars thing is just a noise maker to squash any potential competition from luring any interest, teams or money away from them. All they have to do is keep making racket and putting out "news" stories about this potential rival and once the waters are muddied enough, Thunder 5000 will fade away. I think Australia could support one of these series but two of them simply is not going to fly and succeed IMO.

Once Lambden and Thunder 5000 surrender, Supercars will pull the pin on their little project. Even if it costs a million or something they probably see it as a worthy investment to smash the potential competition.

I've seen all the quotes and basically the Thunder 5000 group got punked pretty good by Supercars. I'm disappointed sure, and they can complain but in the end business is war and Supercars stuck the knife in good. I think they need to decide that complaining is only going to do so far and they need to decide to go their own way and make it happen or fold up shop. In the end I've enjoyed seeing the car run but we don't want to see years of demo runs.
Old 16 May 2017, 23:12 (Ref:3733959)   #57
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Having two different groups trying to revive large-engined, fast open wheelers in Oz (& I assume NZ) is a positive sign for the sport overall but whichever group goes ahead with it, the series is going to struggle somewhat (as all open wheel series above Formula Ford here have ultimately done). Yeah, I know that F5000 & F Pacific had some strong periods, but neither were consistently strong and sustainable. More recently, F Brabham/Holden struggled for consistent fields.

If, however, the series was on the Supercar bill and partly managed / supported by Supercar with maybe even some name drivers taking part, commercially it could do better than previous attempts. This approach could be taken with either of the proposed series.

Certainly, I don't think there's room for 2 - our market simply ain't big enough.

Clearly both have put a fair bit of time, effort and money into their respective projects to get cars up and running. Who did what first is IMHO moot and a somewhat childish argument if it continues - regardless of which one of them is throwing rocks at the other.

Telling thing to me is that Warburton says that Supercars holds the CMA with CAMS, which means that Lambden's series might be forced to run under a different sanctioning body if hard ball is played.

To me, it sounds like they all need to get in a room and sort their stuff out, rather than bickering in public, which does neither the sport overall nor the individuals concerned any good at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 17 May 2017, 00:29 (Ref:3733964)   #58
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I would say the quote came from a Supercars spokesperson, speaking on behalf of the organisation. Happens in most organisations & news stories. (if the roles were reversed, and the article written by someone else, i'm sure you would find no fault with the piece)
"tongues are wagging"

"pals suggest"

"Wheels has been told"

if it was a Supercars spokesperson the quotes would have attribution.

No attribution means this is made up. It is a New Idea style piece, rehashing old quotes made under different context.

The news about who is behind it is interesting, it is clear Oscar Fiorinotto is the brains, and he has convinced PAYCE to back it, so both are looking to recoup their investment, but without the team's interest I can't see this growing legs.

Lambden's idea is a great and efficient one - but he is talking more about the Supercars owned thing than anybody else - he is giving it air.

He just needs to do his thing and ignore Supercars, put cars on the track, sign people up.
Old 17 May 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3734050)   #59
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
If, however, the series was on the Supercar bill and partly managed / supported by Supercar with maybe even some name drivers taking part, commercially it could do better than previous attempts.
Maybe the next time anyone has a category idea and goes to CAMS, CAMS should send them Supercars way to get their approval then?

The Australian motorsport world shouldn't revolve around what Supercars wants to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Telling thing to me is that Warburton says that Supercars holds the CMA with CAMS, which means that Lambden's series might be forced to run under a different sanctioning body if hard ball is played.
Presumebly Supercars hold the CMA for Super5000, not for FT5000.

Or are you saying that Supercars would hold the CMA for any V8 engined open-wheeler series?
Old 17 May 2017, 21:57 (Ref:3734140)   #60
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Maybe the next time anyone has a category idea and goes to CAMS, CAMS should send them Supercars way to get their approval then?

The Australian motorsport world shouldn't revolve around what Supercars wants to do.

Presumebly Supercars hold the CMA for Super5000, not for FT5000.

Or are you saying that Supercars would hold the CMA for any V8 engined open-wheeler series?

Other categories wanting to start up don't need to go to Supercars - silly to suggest such an extrapolation from my post. However, they could stand a better chance commercially if they do - although not guaranteed.

It's POSSIBLE that the CMA Supercars has is for such a series generically, regardless of series title, I don't know either way but with Supercars saying they have a CMA, my point remains that having that CMA may prove to be important in all this.
Old 18 May 2017, 00:35 (Ref:3734147)   #61
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
No attribution means this is made up.
Such definitive statements here Mixer. Where is your evidence?

Keen to see if this method is applied consistently or used depending which side of the discussion you sit on.
Old 18 May 2017, 00:53 (Ref:3734149)   #62
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post

Keen to see if this method is applied consistently or used depending which side of the discussion you sit on.
agreed, So if you are keen to see that , then you should be happy to apply that in this case?
Old 18 May 2017, 01:19 (Ref:3734153)   #63
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My view, the return of V8 open wheelers is an enthusiast's series. And full credit to Mr. Lambden for his efforts and keep going with his original plan.

Joining the V8 circus should be last (hate to see the entry/affiliation costs) and it should be marketed at State & Club race events with a hitout at Shannons for national exposure to drivers - the ones who will pay for these cars.

After all, FH was basically an enthusiast's class in the end. A couple of young guns at the top and then owner/drivers with quick open wheeler machinery of various age.
Old 18 May 2017, 01:29 (Ref:3734155)   #64
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Other catagories wanting to start up, should look to similar catagories that already exist within the Australian motorsport landscape, and either buy them out, or adjust their egos.

There are too many over-lapping catagories at the lower end as it is, mostly because various entities want to push their own agendas.
Old 18 May 2017, 07:53 (Ref:3734190)   #65
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

That which is presented without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

I am entirely consistent in my demand for factual information and sourcing. I don't have an agenda like some.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 2 Jun 2017, 08:06 (Ref:3738072)   #66
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Super5000 Series

Gotta say, I'm pumped for this:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motorspo...2ca0975578f74f

Old 2 Jun 2017, 08:28 (Ref:3738077)   #67
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are you equally excited about the original Formula Thunder 5000?

This is disgusting behaviour by V8 Supercars who denied involvement but now release articles with their logo plastered all over it.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 08:34 (Ref:3738080)   #68
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Story Here

A good way to use surplus Supercar engines when they switch to V6 turbos..?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 Jun 2017, 08:50 (Ref:3738083)   #69
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Are you equally excited about the original Formula Thunder 5000?
Is it "original"? Chris Lambden claims so, but how is anybody to know what was going on in secret before Chris went public? Nobody is to know.

Quote:
This is disgusting behaviour by V8 Supercars who denied involvement but now release articles with their logo plastered all over it.
Supercars didn't release it. Their logo is, but this seems to be from PAYCE/Wilson, and it isn't even on Supercars website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
A good way to use surplus Supercar engines when they switch to V6 turbos..?
All the above aside, this makes sense from a pragmatic point of view.

Especially if I was an engine builder locally I'd want it to grow legs over people running Coyotes.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 08:53 (Ref:3738085)   #70
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a feeling that both series will now fail.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 08:55 (Ref:3738086)   #71
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV_08 View Post
I have a feeling that both series will now fail.
Was the FT5000 ever actually viable?

I am really not sure that it was.

Potentially the Super5000 has a fair element of existing infrastructure to support it.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 09:02 (Ref:3738088)   #72
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Supercars didn't release it. Their logo is, but this seems to be from PAYCE/Wilson, and it isn't even on Supercars website.
On the VASC Website....
Old 2 Jun 2017, 09:02 (Ref:3738089)   #73
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Does this all mean the death of F4?
Old 2 Jun 2017, 09:06 (Ref:3738090)   #74
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Was added after I posted

Quote:
$300k is an awful lot for a car like that, but the VASC one DOES look the business.

I don't know what an F4 car costs, but with the ASN owning it, you might think it is here to stay whether or not people actually want it!

EDIT: I want to know if the tub is all new and if it has been crash tested yet...

Last edited by Mixer; 2 Jun 2017 at 09:13.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 09:17 (Ref:3738092)   #75
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No that's cams project not Supercars it only runs on the support bill.