Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3854899)   #16
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Call my Name
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If I may say so, a predictable response.... I see no sixes involved in that gamble.....
Old 6 Oct 2018, 15:23 (Ref:3854901)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Ferrari went against the usual rule that you stay in step with your main competitors and it cost them dearly. Mercedes have things completely under control

Anyway well done to both STRs, really showed the Honda upgrade worked
I watched qualifying live this morning and I couldn't believe what Ferrari were doing. They've gone several steps backwards since Monza and are making really bad strategy calls.

Hartley 6th, Gasly 7th, can they turn that into a decent race result?
Old 6 Oct 2018, 15:38 (Ref:3854905)   #18
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
If I may say so, a predictable response.... I see no sixes involved in that gamble.....
Completely agree. You go out on the tyres suited to the conditions at the time. Even if it had rained after the warm up lap their tyres would have been goosed.

Never mind six of one......I think Ferrari put 2 and 2 together and got 7
Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:10 (Ref:3854910)   #19
E.B
Veteran

Australia
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
They did look around and gambled on the rain. The rest didn't.
The rest went with what was / wasnt showing on the radar, and what was actually happening weatherwise.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:19 (Ref:3854913)   #20
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
The rest went with what was / wasnt showing on the radar, and what was actually happening weatherwise.
Yup. You know you’ve messed up when you’re the only one to ‘gamble’.... or what I like to call, choosing poorly.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:22 (Ref:3854914)   #21
E.B
Veteran

Australia
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Yup. You know you’ve messed up when you’re the only one to ‘gamble’.... or what I like to call, choosing poorly.
A bit like the Mum who says, "Oooh look, everyone is out of step except my Billy."
Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:30 (Ref:3854917)   #22
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
And could have gotten it wrong.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3854919)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The ones who got it wrong were Ferrari, with Vettel starting behind the STRs.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:41 (Ref:3854920)   #24
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Call my Name
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
But didn't.

Is this getting as tiresome for you as it is for the rest of us.....?
Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:57 (Ref:3854924)   #25
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If I put a billion pounds on a horse that's listed as 500/1 and win then I too will look like a genius. But the fact that nobody else is doing the same as me suggests that the outcome will most likely not be in my favour and I'll look like an idiot.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:34 (Ref:3854928)   #26
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with what you guys are doing is calculating the odds after the fact. Nobody knew them beforehand, not the other teams either.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:34 (Ref:3854929)   #27
djinvicta
Subscriber
Veteran

Wales
French France
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Cheers F1 Guy for the intro...
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:36 (Ref:3854931)   #28
TrapezeArtist
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do Ferrari have any feet left that don't have bullet holes in them?

Between Q2 and Q3 we got a shot at Hamilton's Merc with an inter on the front right. At that moment I think it was pretty unclear which way was the best. Then in the closing moments before going out it became apparent to all the teams (except Ferrari?) that it wasn't wet enough for inters and was unlikely to rain in the next few minutes. It was a bad decision.

What did Ferrari have to gain or lose? They could have gone on slicks like everyone else. Then they would have been no better or worse off than any other team. They chose inters, the track was nearly dry and they looked like idiots. If rain had come in during the out lap, Ferrari might have been able to get a timed lap in while everyone else was scurrying to the pits. And that might have been the best track conditions of the session. Note the one "if" and two "mights". It really wasn't a gamble worth taking.

My prediction for the close-season: Arrivabene will be sacked.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:38 (Ref:3854933)   #29
TrapezeArtist
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The problem with what you guys are doing is calculating the odds after the fact. Nobody knew them beforehand, not the other teams either.
I disagree. They knew the odds. They just didn't know the result. Going back to ackropovic's analogy, he knows his horse is 500-1. He doesn't know if it is going to win, though he could make a fair guess.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:44 (Ref:3854937)   #30
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
No, what we're doing is looking at the actual result with the benefit of hindsight. The teams all knew the odds beforehand, which is why 9 teams out of 10 chose not to run.

With smartphone apps able to send notifications within 30 seconds of when it's about to rain, and tell you the intensity, weather forecasting software is better than ever. If I have that available to me on my phone, the teams have much more sophisticated systems available. Ferrari tried to be smarter than an already very smart system. It didn't work.