Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Nov 2003, 02:02 (Ref:779400)   #1
auxred
Rookie

Australia
Gold Coast
auxred should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Masterton

Can anyone tell me what ever happened to Steve Masterton?
He used to run a great looking XE Falcon back in the Group C days. I know Jim Masterton (Masterton Homes) started to sponsor Western Suburbs in the NSWRL comp. Is this the reason that the team folded? Does anyone know?.....Does anyone care?.....
Old 11 Nov 2003, 05:38 (Ref:779492)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
no idea what happened to him but I do know he made a return in a Ford Sierra 2 litre car at bathurst in 93 partnered by Kevin Weeks I believe, it was dayglo orange and looked pretty good.

other than that I have no idea.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 06:56 (Ref:779524)   #3
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He made a couple of returns actually; after the end of Group C, he ran a Commodore for one season before pulling the plug; he then popped up in Murray Carter's Skyline for Bathurst in 1987, running with Murray again the next year; in 1990, he ran a Falcon in the Australian Production Car Championship. I think business commitments forced him out of the driver's seat several times during his career. Is he still with the family business?
Old 11 Nov 2003, 07:11 (Ref:779531)   #4
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep remember the flap that automatically opened on his Group C Falcon air intake at an Amaroo meeting and he got pinged for it!!!

His car was mentioned in Australian Muscle Car recently.

Last edited by Grimace; 11 Nov 2003 at 07:15.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 07:13 (Ref:779532)   #5
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My ex sister in law went to school with him and then worked in the bank where they bank but as i don't see them any more i can't get any updates. He at one stage set up a race car preparation shop but i don't know what happened to that either.
As for the ex Group C Falcon, it has been bought by the ex mechanic for the car (i think) and is currently being restored.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 07:30 (Ref:779538)   #6
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Checking the Masterton Homes web site, Steve is listed as quality manager.
http://www.masterton.com.au/masterto...s.body&FFFF117
Old 11 Nov 2003, 08:41 (Ref:779572)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There was a Steve Masterton Racing that operated out of a premises at Warwick Farm/Moorebank, near Peter Warren Ford, who sponsored Steve's return to competition in the proddie car. (And supplied the trade plates for the seriously old and tired transporter to get around!)

Steve's codriver in that Sierra was Mondeo longtooth (and Cirtek frontman) Peter Hills, who actually bought/owned the car at the time.

There was quite a bit of speed in the driver on occassion, I sometimes doubted the preparation was as good as the budget may have allowed. Had Steve been in a Commodore, the results would likely have been substantially better... pioneering isnt always rewarding
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 11 Nov 2003, 08:54 (Ref:779580)   #8
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was in the news just recently (ACA) Masterton homes was doing a major repair job on a house in Sydney for free . The home owners were caught out with a shoddy builder and Masterman Homes came to the rescue .
Old 11 Nov 2003, 09:35 (Ref:779618)   #9
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a difference between Masterton Homes and Masterman Homes.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 11:35 (Ref:779705)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Grimace
Yep remember the flap that automatically opened on his Group C Falcon air intake at an Amaroo meeting and he got pinged for it!!!
The best bit was that they openly admitted they were breaking the rules on the day.

Basically the Masterton Homes/2WS team folded because Jim stopped footing the bill. They had spent a heap of money on the XE Falcon, then when Group A came along, they waited and finally plumped for a Commodore (possibly the first HDT customer VK built?). Of course the Group A costs were high to stay competitive, and with tough times for the building industry, it didn't make financial sense to continue. (as mentioned in the current Australian Muscle Car, that is also the reason they sold the XE).

A pity, he did show potential.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 12:30 (Ref:779730)   #11
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Group A Commodore was well..... everything that possibly could have gone wrong did. One of motor racing's lemon cars, and that probably killed the team as much as anything. Maybe a good result or two might have fired the imagination, but when a team is demoralised...
Old 12 Nov 2003, 01:13 (Ref:780505)   #12
prn 31
Racer

prn 31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember seeing the Group A Commodore at Bathurst - it was so slow!

From what I've been told this car was sold onto Geissler who managed to finish 10th at Bathurst in '86.

The Commodore still exists, respendent now in its original Masterton livery and I last saw it compete in combined Group A and C races in Historics last year.

I can't remember the guy who owns it and can barely afford to run it, but he crashed into his mate's ex-Cullen VK Commodore at Wakefield Park damaging both cars. They both got onto the grog that night, with both bent cars sitting up next to the bungalow accomodation at the track - without having been through post-scrutineering ....
Old 12 Nov 2003, 02:00 (Ref:780532)   #13
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Grimace

His car was mentioned in Australian Muscle Car recently.
Yep, Masterton had a quick XE but could never keep the engine cool hence the flap, DJ had no problems keeping the '51 cool and Masterton was dirty with DJ for not sharing the secret which was to use a trick water pump that didn't cavitate at high RPM - a drag racing one iirc?

You may also recall his winged keel to get a little extra rear d/f!!

The story in AMC on the XE was interesting, most of the car is still there and it will be restored, it also revealed how they developed a 'secret' quick change front end, it would be nice to see this car back on the track again.

I was talking to someone who knew the Mastertons and he said that Steve and his old man at one point had a falling out?
Old 12 Nov 2003, 02:17 (Ref:780542)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was Steve Australia's first racing SORF?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Nov 2003, 02:25 (Ref:780545)   #15
brno86
Rookie

brno86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve brought Carol Smith (1977 Bathurst 1-2) fame to work on the XE at Bathurst in 1982. The car didn't perform as well as the Capris they had been running in 1981. When the 1981 Bathurst 747 was stopped,they were well placed in the top 10.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 02:31 (Ref:780548)   #16
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Conrod Kieron
Yep, Masterton had a quick XE but could never keep the engine cool hence the flap, DJ had no problems keeping the '51 cool and Masterton was dirty with DJ for not sharing the secret which was to use a trick water pump that didn't cavitate at high RPM - a drag racing one iirc?
DJ probably were using a different pulley size to slow the water pump impeller which would stop cavitating.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 09:45 (Ref:781835)   #17
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pete55
There's a difference between Masterton Homes and Masterman Homes.

Yes there certainly is, My sister worked for Masterman homes for a shortwhile a few years back and at the time she told me of the contract I thought she meant steves company but she set me straight.

As for Steve, one of my neighbours is from Moorebank in Sydney and has mentioned him in a motorsport conversation, when they get back from Fiji, Ill ask him if he knows what steve is up to.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 22:20 (Ref:782549)   #18
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mixxer
DJ probably were using a different pulley size to slow the water pump impeller which would stop cavitating.
This is spot on - we used to have the same problem with our XD back in Group C and discovered that there was a big difference in cooling using different water pump pulleys. After we solved the problem and took it to Bathurst in 1984, we couldn't get our car to run hot enough!!

I think Masterton had it solved in the end, his last two races in the XE at Bathurst and Surfers Paradise were two of his best performances in that car, unfortunately other components let him down on those days.

CD.
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 14 Nov 2003, 02:04 (Ref:782735)   #19
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems a fairly obvious trick when you think about it, I believe this was common practice on Falcon power steering pumps to increase feel too.

In the latest AMC, DJ talks about how he would improve the Greens Tuf Falcon, and he said he would use the same rollcage setup as Masterton which was welded. Its a pity there wern't more resources behind this team as they where quite innovative and I recall him being at least as quick as DJ at times.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 12:45 (Ref:3304217)   #20
BoMidge
Rookie

BoMidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The guy that did a lot of the engineering work on that car is John Skola.He now owns the XE.John is a VERY smart man.He and his brother,Dave,set-up a business called Skola Race Developments/Engines,which has now been closed,because as John told me,"Nobody wants to pay for good work".The flow bench and all the machinery is now packed away.The Skola brothers now work for a salvage company in Ingleburn,Sydney.There is currently a few YouTube videos of John Skola doing some one-off fabrication work for a custom Nissan RB26 turbo manifold.Also,a few pictures,on some another site,of a hand fabricated V8 manifold that truely is something special.[google,"bunch of bums" manifold and it will take you to the site that has the pictures].
Old 24 Sep 2013, 21:27 (Ref:3308919)   #21
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Skola is a genius. Having been fortunate to spend some time in his workshop in the mid 90's I saw some amazing things. Sheet metal manifolds that defy description (not the bunch of bums pictured below but other equally amazing things), cutting and shutting cylinder heads to get better runner approach angles for classes of racing where stock heads had to be used (who'd know people are that keen?), and all manner or other things that simply blew my mind.

I wish I had a project worth of having his input to tell you the truth, a truly amazing person who doesn't think within the square most of us live in.

The said "bunch of bums".

Old 19 Feb 2015, 11:39 (Ref:3506611)   #22
BoMidge
Rookie

Yeah,that's the "bunch of bums".

These days it would probably be called " The Tummy Sticks" manifold.
Old 24 May 2015, 05:25 (Ref:3540545)   #23
BoMidge
Rookie

.....or the Assassin Manifold.

(Ass-Ass-In)
Old 8 May 2018, 22:15 (Ref:3820914)   #24
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve venting his frustrations with his XE, in the 1984 Surfers enduro race:

https://youtu.be/g8qdXiaTnLk?t=15m51s
Old 8 May 2018, 23:01 (Ref:3820925)   #25
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Steve venting his frustrations with his XE, in the 1984 Surfers enduro race:

https://youtu.be/g8qdXiaTnLk?t=15m51s
One of the great "ifs" of the sport is what would have happened if Group C had lasted on more year?